PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Bomb Automaton (Monster) [PEACH]

HyperDrifter
2018-06-25, 07:44 PM
Hi. VERY long time lurker, first time posting. It struck me as odd how for years I've been using Vorpal Tribble's and Demented One's creations and how I've never let anyone else use my own.

So, I decided to post some designs inspired mostly by videogames and AD&D. Right now my players are in a sprawling campaign that has took them from Murlynd's ancient home to Super Mario's Mushroom Kingdom, which means you guys are going to get all the Nintendo-inspired baddies I get to toss at them. Its stat block comes from a heavily modified 3.x version of D&D (my personal D&D version) but you can certainly reverse-engineer it to fit PF and any 3.x easily.

Bob-Omb
Bomb Automaton
-----
Tiny Neutral Construct CR 3 [4 if dangerous]
Initiative +2 Senses Darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision 60 ft., Perception +0
Languages understands creators' orders
-----
AC 18, touch 14, flat-footed 14
(+2 Dex, +2 size, +4 natural armor)
Hit Points 22hp [27 if dangerous] (4HD; see Fiery Blaze); DR 5/adamantine or bludgeoning
Immune to Fire (see Self-Deploy)
plus Construct Traits
Weakness to Cold 5 (see Defuse)
Saves Fort +1, Ref +3, Will +1
-----
Speed 30 ft.
Melee Body slam (1d6+3)
Space/reach 5ft. / 5 ft.
Atk Options Fiery Blaze
BAB +3; Grapple -3
-----
Abilities Str 15, Dex 14, Con --, Int --, Wis 11, Cha 1
Special Qualities Fiery Blaze, construct traits
-----
Self-Deploy (Ex) If a Bob-omb would take any amount of Fire damage, roll a d20. On a 1-10, it becomes immobile and invulnerable to any sort of damage instead. At the start of its next turn is destroyed. On a 11-19, it is destroyed immediately. On a 20 becomes invulnerable to any sort of damage but cold instead, and is destroyed at the end of its next turn.
Fiery Blaze (Su) When destroyed, a Bob-Omb explodes in a 20 ft. radius spread that deals 4d6 points of fire damage (one per HD) to all creatures in the area (Reflex DC 14). Unatended objects catch fire if damaged. The save DC is Constitution-based.
Defuse (Ex) If a Bob-Omb would drop to 0 hit points as a result of taking cold damage it deactivates instead (it drops to 1 hit point, all previous orders are deleted from its memory and does not take any actions until reactivated).
Construct Traits (Ex) Immunity to all mind-affecting effects, poison, sleep, paralysis, polymorph, stunning, critical hits, death, ability damage, non-lethal damage, fatigue and exhaustion. Doesn't need to breath, sleep or eat, and it is immune to related effects.

Bob-Ombs, or Bomb Automatons, are two-feet tall, round mechanical creatures that resemble little black iron spheres. A pair of mechanical legs give locomotion to the construct, and its outer shell looks sturdy and unpolished. A string wick falls off the top of the creature, and a strong smell of gunpowder accompanies it.

As automatons, they are mechanical in nature, but unlike their most common cousins these constructs are powered by the energy of the Plane of Elemental Fire.

In combat, they follow the orders of its creator or reactivator unerringly, and strike at their enemies launching themselves towards them. Given the nature of their Fiery Blaze, they rarely survive.

Deactivated Bob-Ombs can be handled like regular objects. A succesful Knowledge Arcana check (DC 22) is required to reactivate it, which in turn makes the automaton to follow the orders of its new "creator".

Goaty14
2018-06-25, 10:18 PM
1) Define what makes a bomb-omb dangerous/not dangerous
2) List Hit Dice: "4d10 (22)"
3) You're using the pathfinder format for monsters right now. I'd suggest you change it, but to each their own.

HyperDrifter
2018-06-27, 03:40 PM
1) Define what makes a bomb-omb dangerous/not dangerous

Forgot to remove my personal nomenclature. I usually prepare monsters in three different ways: the Normal version, a Dangerous version with more HP and rarely an extra ability, and a Deadly version with even more HP and weird qualities. When writing any stat block for an encounter, my notes include both so I can toss groups of them with one or two Dangerous or Deadly mobs that work as mini-bosses.

So, when you run an encounter with a Bomb Automaton, you can choose between the Regular and Dangerous versions. I have those notes color-coded so I suggest you do the same.

2) List Hit Dice: "4d10 (22)"

It's listed.

3) You're using the pathfinder format for monsters right now. I'd suggest you change it, but to each their own.

Again, this is my personal stat-block derived mostly from 3.5's. Comes down to personal preference mostly, so feel free to change it (anything, really) to your liking if you're going to use the monster in any way. Thanks for the criticisms, and have fun!