PDA

View Full Version : DM Help under dark festival food and prizes?

Jellyburd
2018-06-26, 03:08 PM
my PCs are finishing up a major storyline involving a war between duergar and deep gnomes. They saved the gnomes and will awake to the city in the midst of a major celebration.
My question is what kind of foods would vendors offer?
I see things like fungus and vermin, but I was hoping for something my players would WANT. Not something that sounds gross..
And in the way of small prizes what might vendors have?

Aett_Thorn
2018-06-26, 05:02 PM
Svirfneblin festival foods:

Mushrooms
Mushrooms
More mushrooms
Deep-fried mushrooms
Salted mushrooms
Rothe-on-a-stick

Festival prizes:

Small gemstones or at least shiny rocks
Carved rocks
Good, practical items like a hammer or chisel
Starlight in a bottle

JoeJ
2018-06-26, 05:49 PM
Fungus shouldn't be a problem, considering how widely certain kinds are eaten in our world. The Underdark has waterways, so fish, crayfish, shellfish, etc. are always possibilities.

bobofwestgate
2018-06-26, 06:07 PM
Rothe. It's a underdark Bison. Have a whole one being roasted on a spit over a smokeless magic heat source

Aett_Thorn
2018-06-26, 06:46 PM
Found this on the Forgotten Realms Wiki:

"Deep gnome cuisine is also a reflection of their livelihood, with the common staples made up of a variety of exotic fungi found only in the Underdark. Other common foods include blind fish or occasionally a deep roast made of rothé, goat, or sheep. Perhaps because fire produces unwanted light and smoke, deep gnomes generally prefer to salt their food instead of cooking it, which makes most svirfneblin food practically inedible to outsiders. For drink, most deep gnomes drink a salty spirit made of fermented fish, which, like svirfneblin food, is an acquired taste. On occasion, deep gnomes might drink a more tolerable drink called Gogondy, said to contained powdered ruby and grant powerful visions to those who drink it."