PDA

View Full Version : Revised 5e base class The Dragoon

Ogrillian
2018-06-27, 06:30 PM
Not sure if this might be a groaner but I’ve been looking around and the best (most used) way is multi classing and grabbing feats like a crack fiend so I came up with a class all their own sorry if this is long but I have no idea how to use the Homebrew design page

Okay here is the toned down version. Some (utility) skills are missing as I’m drawing a blank let me know what needs improved or could be added.

—- Dragoon
Maybe you owed a dragon a great favor, maybe it raised you, or maybe you just had a Deep Appreciation For them as a Whole. For Whatever Reason you’ve Taken them as your Teachers in Life and Combat

Requires at least 15 Strength and 13 Dex
Hit Dice: 1d10 per Dragoon level

Hit Points at 1st Level: 10+ your Constitution Modifier

Hit Points at Higher Levels: 1d10 (or 6 ) + your Constitution modifier per Dragoon level after 1st

Saving Throw: Strength and Dexterity

Starting Proficiencies
You are proficient with the following items, in addition to any proficiencies provided by your race or background.
Armor: Light; and Medium armor
Weapons: Simple and Martial Versatile Weaopns and Melee Martial Two handed martial Weapons.
Tools: Gaming Set
Skills: Choose two skills from Acrobatics, Arcana Athletics History Intimidation Investigation, Perception Persuasion

STARTING EQUIPMENT
You start with the following items, plus anything provided by your background.
• (a) Scale Mail or (b)Studded leather, 2 Javelins; Any Initial Armor is dyed the Color of your Icon
• (a) any Heavy Martial Melee Weapon or (b) any Martial or simple Versatile Weapon and 2 Javelins
• 6 Javelins in a large Quiver
• (a) a Dungeoneer's Pack or (b) an Explorer's Pack
• (a) Dragon Chess or (b) Three Dragon Ante

Alternatively, you may start with 5d6 x 10 gp to buy your own Equipment.

Table: The DRAGOON
Level Proficiency Bonus Bonus Features
1st +2 Fight/Armored Like a Dragon,
2nd +2 Lancet, (?)
3rd +2 Choose Your Draconic Way
4th +2 Ability Score Increase
5th +3 Extra Attack
6th +3 (?)
7th +3 Dragoon Path feature
8th +3 Ability Score Improvement
9th +4 (?)
10th +4 Path feature
11th +4 Legendary Resistance
12th +4 Ability Score Improvement
13th +5 Aura Wings
14th +5 Ability Score Improvement
15th +5 Dragoon feature, (?)
16th +5 Ability Score Improvement
17th +6 Boost Jump
18th +6 Final Path feature
19th +6 Ability Score Improvement
20th +6 Draconian Might

BEFORE ANYTHING FURTHER: Pick a Chromatic(E) or Metallic(G) Dragon for your Icon. You do your best to model yourself after them. either part or all of your alignment must be (or changed to) the same as your Icon. Can also pick the Song Dragon and Fang dragon types but must have Chaotic alignment.

Abilities that use saves are 8+ your Profiency modifier+Dex modifier.

Level 1 Fight Like a Dragon—As a Bonus Action you may make another weapon attack but with no modifier bonus

Level 1 Armored with Wing and Scale: When wearing Medium Armor Gain +1 AC bonus and wearing Light Armor gains Disengage as a bonus action

2nd Level LANCET—- 2 times per Short or Long Rest. Gain Another use every other Dragoon Level (or if you think to abusable usage equal Prof. Modifier)
Your body glides through the air and hits with the impact of a mighty wyrm! As your Weapon Attack Action, you can use your Long Jump distance to reach your target and add your Dexterity modifier to the damage roll. Lancet jump distance only cost 5 feet of movement

LEVEL 2 (not sure of name or skill)
Landing in gnarled roots or in a heavily graveled area is no different than landing on a flat plain to you. Gain Advantage on Acrobatic checks when landing in difficult terrain.

LEVEL 3 You pick your Draconic Way: Lancer (focuses on Lancet damage) or Dragon Knight (damage to multiple foes)

LEVEL 4 Ability Score Improvement or Feat

LEVEL 5 Extra Attack Your weapon strikes out with the fury of a Dragon. When you make a weapon Attack as an action, you may make Two Attacks.

Level 6: Some sort of skill to help allies seems needed around here with either some kind of crowd control; a buff for allies; or a penalty to enemy.

Level 7: Draconic Way Feature

Level 8: Ability Score Improvement

Level 9 Some sort of skill to help allies seems needed around here with either some kind of crowd control; a buff for allies; or a penalty to enemy.

Level 10 Draconic Way feature

Level 11. Legendary Resistance
Twice per long rest when you fail a saving throw you may Reroll and add your Str mod to the result.

Level 12 Ability Score Improvement

Level 13. Aura Wings-
You have done your best to emulate Draconic warfare and you have created something to best suit that..a spell to create dragon wings of your very own. As an Action or Bonus action you manifest dragon wing’s made up of your Dragon’s Element, gaining a Hover speed equal to your current speed They stay the number of Rounds equal to your Proficiency modifier, or until dismissed by you. At level 20 they last until are dismissed. (If player already has wings they are cloaked in element)
— Fang Dragoon’s have sharp scales growing over the armor to form Physical Wings. Cannot change armor while active. (If you already have wings they are covered in a thin layer of sharp scales.)

Level 14 Ability Score Improvement

Level 15 Draconic Way

Level 15 Some sort of skill to help allies seems needed around here with either some kind of crowd control; a buff for allies; or a penalty to enemy.

Level 16 Ability Score Improvement

Level 17 Boost Jump - As an action you may double your Jump Distance until the end of the next round. Can be used number of times equal to Proficiency modifier per long Rest.

Level 18 Final Path feature

Level 19 Ability Score Increase.

Level 20: Draconian Might
Strength and Dexterity increase by 4 each to a maximum of 24

Ogrillian
2018-06-27, 06:31 PM
Lancer subclass Deleted until clas features fixed

Ogrillian
2018-06-27, 06:32 PM
Subclass Dragon Knight deleted until Baseclass fixed

Ogrillian
2018-06-27, 06:43 PM
I’m sure there are things that need tweaked so let me know

Goaty14
2018-06-27, 07:24 PM
You should probably label this as 5e material to get people who know more about 5e than I do to critique it.

Thanatos 51-50
2018-06-27, 08:42 PM
[Posting from mobile]
Even at firat blush, without digging too deeply into it, this class is immediately, obviously overpowered.

From level one, you get a strictly better version of the Monk's Martial Arts ability, an always-on version of the Barbarian's Rage damage boost and immediately ignore the drawbacks of medium armour.

At level two, you get a weird, sideways version of the Monk's level four slowfall which, to be fair, is slightly worse and seems to only exist in order to make yourself immune to your own fall damage from Jump attacks.

Jump Attacks which far outstrip any class' equivilent single-target nuke abilities, and only ever improves.

And you have weird, world-building RP requirements baked into the class' level one feature, when it's a great candidate for a level 1 subclass, as per the Warlock?

That's just the first two levels without sparing a glance at your level 3 subclasses.

As it stands, it needs some serious nerfing to bring it to heel, because any game this is allowed in is going to have Fighters, Barbarians, and Monks immediately and totally invalidated.

We can work on that together, though.

What are your goals with this class, mechanically and lore-wise? (Beyond mimicking the Dragoons from Final Fantasy)

Ogrillian
2018-06-27, 09:28 PM
Your right it is extremely over powered was aiming for something along the lines of a hit and run attacker with some armor and utility, and was originally trying to blend final fantasy with Legend of dragoon, kind of got away from me as I was cooking up video game grade damage.

Lore wise was thinking about a soldier/Knight type working with the dragons in Silver Marshes of FR, most dragoon builds seem to be anti dragon but I wanted other route. My party needs some long range backup for our caster and cleric with a crossbow. I have always been the frontline type, and got used to the hit and run style of the monk.

Ogrillian
2018-06-28, 12:51 PM
Okay let me know what you guys think

Amnoriath
2018-06-28, 08:03 PM
It is hard to see what is going on here at the moment. I will leave this link here to get you the table codes for the forums here.
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?521278-Preset-Class-Tables-for-5e-Homebrew&highlight=5e+preset+tables

Amnoriath
2018-06-28, 08:22 PM
Ultimately, it is hard to judge how this class measures up as you have many levels to figure out what to do with. At this point only a couple of things work and I think you should focus on what you want this class to do and not give a little something else here and there.

Lalliman
2018-06-30, 01:55 AM
First of all, I love Armored with Wing and Scale (despite having an unreasonably long name). Creating a meaningful difference between light and medium armour is sorely needed.

That said, given that this is a very specific type of character and you don’t have that many features laid out, I have to wonder: why make it a full class instead of a fighter subclass? It seems easier that way.

If you do want to make it a full class, you should start balancing by comparison. Just look at the fighter and compare level by level what the dragoon gets vs what the fighter gets. So Fight like a Dragon & Wing and Scale vs Fighting Style & Second Wind; Lancet vs Action Surge; etc. I think you’ll find that Fight like a Dragon is very powerful compared to the fighter’s features, even if you give the dragoon some leeway for being Multiple Ability Dependent. (1st level DPR with greatsword: fighter = 11, dragoon = 17)

Fight like a Dragon is especially iffy because it doesn’t seem crucial to the class at all and yet is a much stronger and more influential feature than Lancet. It seems better to leave it out and make more space for jumping-based features.

Ogrillian
2018-06-30, 04:50 AM
Will make some changes
As for making this a Fighter subclass mostly it’s because the number of attacks seem way too high for this type of melee, and Barbs don’t get the armor, but it’s mostly the hit and run style doesn’t seem to fit in well with either one.

Also I was originally looking up various Dragoon skills for inspiration and discovered there is a lot of variations. Just several different types from Final Fantasy alone and almost all of which combine unique spells and physical attacks which seems hard to boil down into a subclass.

Thanatos 51-50
2018-06-30, 07:32 AM
Looking over some of the revisions you've made, and, well...

That said, given that this is a very specific type of character and you don’t have that many features laid out, I have to wonder: why make it a full class instead of a fighter subclass? It seems easier that way.

I've had a similar thought, except I was thinking "Why not make it a Monk subclass", instead, since you've mentioned you've played a monk before and enjoyed the hit-and-run style...

Something like...
WAY OF THE DRAGOON
You fight with an ancient technique bequeathed to you with a Dragon's dying breath.

Scales of the Dragon
By the time you've begun your journey into the Tradition at level three, your movements have become sure and solid. You gain proficiency in Light armour and, if a Monk class feature specifies you need to be unarmoured, you may perform it in light armour, as well. This even works with Unarmoured Defense, allowing you to add your Wisdom modifier to your Armour Class when wearing light armour.
Padded and Leather armour become 11 + Dex modifier + Wisdom modifier, and Studded Leather Armour becomes 12 + Dex Modifier + Wis modifier.
While it is not strictly necessary to dye any armour to wear to match the colour and sheen of the Dragon which bequeathed this martial art to you, it is considered good form.

Fangs of the Dragon
At third level, the Dragon's ascendant technique has gifted you with the knowledge of how to use a Lance. You become proficient in Lances, and they count as a Monk weapon for you, though you do still suffer a Disadvantage to attack a target within five feet of you.
Additionally, you may choose to have your Unarmed attacks deal slashing, piercing, or bludgeoning damage.

Dragon's Lancet
Beginning at level six, you can gather your Ki, spending any number of ki points, and you take to the air with a mighty Jump! You may use your Action to travel up to your walking speed vertically and half as much horizontally (rounded down to the nearest multiple of five) and slam into your foe with devastating impact. Make an attack roll against your target and, in addition to your normal damage, the target takes an additional 1d6 damage for every ten feet you fell. For every Ki point spent performing this attack, you ignore 20 feet for purposes of calculating Fall damage. You may still spend a Reaction to use your Slow Fall class feature as normal, but reducing fall damage in any other way (such as an ally's Feather Fall spell), will reduce the damage this attack deals by the same amount. If you are wielding a Monk weapon and wearing no armour or light armour and carrying no shield, this Attack can trigger your Martial Arts class feature as normal

Secrets of the Dragon
When you reach eleventh level, choose one type of Dragon, preferably the one which bequeathed this art unto you, though the colour of one of the Dragon's enemies is considered appropriate as well. In addition to being able to speak, read, and write Draconic, you gain resistance to that type of dragon's associated damage type. Additionally, as an action, you may spend at least two ki points to deliver a Line attack out to 40 feet. Roll as though you were delivering an Unarmed attack to all creatures within the area of effect. On a successful hit, you deal 3d8 damage of your associated dragon's damage type, plus 1d8 damage for every additional ki point spent in this attack.
For a full list of Dragons and their associated damage types, see the Draconic Ancestry sorcerer class feature on page 102 of the Player's Handbook.

Dragonsong Dive
At seventeenth level, you are table to tap into the essence of the Dragon. When you use your Dragon's Lancet ability, to ignore all fall damage this attack would normally cause and have Advantage on the attack. You may, at any point, choose to have your Unarmed attacks and Monk Weapon deal damage of the type chosen with your Secrets of the Dragon class feature instead of their normal damage. Additionally,while wearing no armour or light armour and wearing no shield, and by spending five Ki points, you sprout great wings from your back, granting you a Fly speed equal to your walking speed, with perfect maneuverability, for a number of minutes equal to your Wisdom modifier (Minimum of one).

EDIT:
Whoops, looks like I accidentally a whole subclass. Undoubtedly, it's not very balanced, but I did slap this together in about half an hour.

Ogrillian
2018-07-01, 06:51 AM
Looking over some of the revisions you've made, and, well...

I've had a similar thought, except I was thinking "Why not make it a Monk subclass", instead, since you've mentioned you've played a monk before and enjoyed the hit-and-run style...

Something like...
WAY OF THE DRAGOON
You fight with an ancient technique bequeathed to you with a Dragon's dying breath.

Scales of the Dragon
By the time you've begun your journey into the Tradition at level three, your movements have become sure and solid. You gain proficiency in Light armour and, if a Monk class feature specifies you need to be unarmoured, you may perform it in light armour, as well. This even works with Unarmoured Defense, allowing you to add your Wisdom modifier to your Armour Class when wearing light armour.
Padded and Leather armour become 11 + Dex modifier + Wisdom modifier, and Studded Leather Armour becomes 12 + Dex Modifier + Wis modifier.
While it is not strictly necessary to dye any armour to wear to match the colour and sheen of the Dragon which bequeathed this martial art to you, it is considered good form.

Fangs of the Dragon
At third level, the Dragon's ascendant technique has gifted you with the knowledge of how to use a Lance. You become proficient in Lances, and they count as a Monk weapon for you, though you do still suffer a Disadvantage to attack a target within five feet of you.
Additionally, you may choose to have your Unarmed attacks deal slashing, piercing, or bludgeoning damage.

Dragon's Lancet
Beginning at level six, you can gather your Ki, spending any number of ki points, and you take to the air with a mighty Jump! You may use your Action to travel up to your walking speed vertically and half as much horizontally (rounded down to the nearest multiple of five) and slam into your foe with devastating impact. Make an attack roll against your target and, in addition to your normal damage, the target takes an additional 1d6 damage for every ten feet you fell. For every Ki point spent performing this attack, you ignore 20 feet for purposes of calculating Fall damage. You may still spend a Reaction to use your Slow Fall class feature as normal, but reducing fall damage in any other way (such as an ally's Feather Fall spell), will reduce the damage this attack deals by the same amount. If you are wielding a Monk weapon and wearing no armour or light armour and carrying no shield, this Attack can trigger your Martial Arts class feature as normal

Secrets of the Dragon
When you reach eleventh level, choose one type of Dragon, preferably the one which bequeathed this art unto you, though the colour of one of the Dragon's enemies is considered appropriate as well. In addition to being able to speak, read, and write Draconic, you gain resistance to that type of dragon's associated damage type. Additionally, as an action, you may spend at least two ki points to deliver a Line attack out to 40 feet. Roll as though you were delivering an Unarmed attack to all creatures within the area of effect. On a successful hit, you deal 3d8 damage of your associated dragon's damage type, plus 1d8 damage for every additional ki point spent in this attack.
For a full list of Dragons and their associated damage types, see the Draconic Ancestry sorcerer class feature on page 102 of the Player's Handbook.

Dragonsong Dive
At seventeenth level, you are table to tap into the essence of the Dragon. When you use your Dragon's Lancet ability, to ignore all fall damage this attack would normally cause and have Advantage on the attack. You may, at any point, choose to have your Unarmed attacks and Monk Weapon deal damage of the type chosen with your Secrets of the Dragon class feature instead of their normal damage. Additionally,while wearing no armour or light armour and wearing no shield, and by spending five Ki points, you sprout great wings from your back, granting you a Fly speed equal to your walking speed, with perfect maneuverability, for a number of minutes equal to your Wisdom modifier (Minimum of one).

Will give this a try, as it sounds like a good fit to my play style but I’d like to try and finish the base class version as it’s been driving me nuts trying to complete it.