PDA

View Full Version : Blue Exorcist Homebrew

HopefulDMing
2018-07-04, 10:45 AM
I'm creating a Blue Exorcist Homebrew DnD game, and I wanted to post what I have so far here so other people can look it over and help check it for game balance reasons, basic game balance is good, but if you have seen the anime, that would be very helpful!

Welcome to True Cross Academy! Today, you take your first steps on becoming an exorcist!

These are the words that all of you heard during your induction as Pages into True Cross Academy. You all come from different backgrounds, but are all united in your common goal, to become an exorcist and protect the world from demons. This is no easy task, and you will need to work with your partner to take them down. But with your swords, guns, Bible verses, other demons, and whatever Doctors have, you can send those demons back to Gehenna!

Races: There are two main races you can play as in the game, Human, and Nephilim.

Humans are the inhabitants of Assiah, and make up the majority of exorcists, its pretty common among exorcists to have blood ties to demons. They get +2 to 1 stats of their choice, and +1 to 2 more.

Nephilim are the results of Demons breeding with Humans, and while there are few of them, they often turn out to be very powerful and capable exorcists. They are often stronger, faster, and tougher than regular humans. Nephilim get +2 to Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution. But they are also susceptible to Holy Water, which is something you see a lot as an Exorcist.

As an Exwire, you are training to become a Meister, the most basic qualification to become an exorcist. There are 5 types of Meister, which determines how you fight Demons. You start out with one or two main specifications (DM’s discretion. There is a precedent for an Exwire being two Meister types in canon as Shiemi Moriyama is both a Doctor and Tamer, and Ryuji Suguro is both an Aria and Dragoon), but can go on to have 3 or 4. A few very talented and powerful exorcists are all 5 (You probably can’t do this in game because it would be a pain in the ass to manage). You need at least a 14 in the associated stat to be able to take that Meister, and if you reach that point at a stat increase, you can choose to take that Meister.

Knight:

Associated Stat: Strength

A Knight (騎士ナイト Naito) is a Meister who uses swords to fight Demons. Some Knights use enchanted Demon blades, which have unique abilities and are quite rare. Other Knights are also able to use powerful, long-range magic techniques from their blades.

An example of a Knight is Rin Okumura

Dragoon:

Associated Stat: Dexterity

A Dragoon (竜騎士ドラグーン Doragūn) is a Meister who fights using ranged weapons, such as handguns and machine guns. Some may use specific weapons or ammunition to exploit the weaknesses of certain elemental demons.

An example of a Dragoon is Susumy Yunokawa

A dragoon can have proficiency in 3 types of guns, pistols, rifles, and bazookas.

A pistol has 12 bullets per cartridge

There are several types of bullets that exorcists can use:

Demon Tranquilizer: Does not deal damage, but injects tranquilizers into the target, supressing them and putting them at a disadvantage against all saving throws, but can wear off after a period of time.

Holy Silver: Deals 2d8 damage against demons AC, with +2 given to all attacks made with these bullets, using these bullets risks harming the human it is possessing

Holy Water: Deals 2d6 damage against demons, Gives an extra +1 to attacks made with these bullets, does not risk harming the possessed human

Naiad:

Vitamin: Deals 1 damage.

Doctor:

Associated Stat: Intelligence

A Doctor (医工騎士ドクター Dokutā) is a Meister who treats and heals wounds inflicted by Demons, known as mashō (or Temptaint). These people typically possess the knowledge of basic first-aid, emergency first-aid, and the ability to treat ordinary injuries.

An example of a doctor is Yukio Okumura

Doctors have proficiency in using medical kits

Tamer:

Associated stat: Wisdom

A Tamer (手騎士テイマー Teimā) is a Meister who summons and controls Demons known as familiars. It is a natural talent that few people possess.

An example of a tamer is Nishiki Hojo

Aria:

Associated Stat: Charisma

An Aria (詠唱騎士アリア Aria) is a Meister who fights by reciting verses from the Bible and sacred scriptures. Aria specialize in knowing Fatal Verses which, when recited, exorcise specific Demons.

(Beware, some demons do not have a Fatal Verse)

An example of an Aria is Shiro Fujimoto

You pick as many classes as your stats allow at level 1. You get stat increases at levels 4, 8, 12, 16, and 19. At Level 20 you get a special ability for any one of your Meisters.

You use 24 point buy to determine your starting stats, then add your racial modifiers.

Seeing Demons:

Normal humans cannot see demons, but as an exorcist, seeing demons is necessary to do your job. If you are a human, you need to have either undergone your Temptaint, or recieve the Temptint Ritual. If you have received your temptaint, how did you get it? What were the circumstances surrounding it? If you are a Nephilim, you can see demons when your demonic powers are awakened.

Aria Invocations, both English and Japanese:

“Evil is in their hearts. O Lord, give to them according to their works, and according to the wickedness of their inventions. According to the works of their hands give thou to them; render them their reward. Thou shalt destroy them, and shalt not build them up. Blessed be the Lord! For he hath heard the voice of my supplication. The Lord is my helper, and my protector. Thou shalt perish where thou standeth!” - The invocation used by Shiro Fujimoto to exorcise Astaroth from a teenager in the Japanese version of the anime

“Evil is in their hearts. O Lord, give to them according to their works, and the wickedness of their inventions. According to the works of their hands, render them their reward. Thou shalt destroy them, and shalt not build them up. Blessed be the Lord! You have heard my supplication. The Lord is my helper, and my protector. Thou shalt perish!” - The invocation used by Shiro Fujimoto to exorcise Astaroth from a teenager in the English dub of the anime

“The road is unmarked for those without faith.The hand of God will cause them to fall from Jacob’s ladder!” - Used to exorcise Coal Tar (JPN)

“The road is unmarked for those without faith.The hand of God will fling them from Jacob’s ladder!” - Used to exorcise Coal Tar (ENG)

Special Items:

Exorcists use a lot of things to help exorcise demons, giving them an edge over their opponents, this is a list of only a few items you may use in your career as exorcists.

Holy Water

An exorcist’s best friend. Holy water hurts demons while not harming what they are possessing, making it incredibly useful when a human is possessed. Holy water can be in bottles, bullets, or bombs. It can also come in jerry cans and can be dumped into sewers to treat a demon infestation.

Holy Water: Deals 1d8 damage against demons vs Dex

Holy Water Bullets: Deals 3d6 damage against demons, Gives an extra +2 to attacks made with these bullets.

Holy Water Bomb: Every demon in a 15 foot radius must make a DC 15 Dexterity Saving Throw, dealing 4d8 damage on a failed save, and half as much on a successful one.

Salt

Salt can be used to form barriers that low level demons can not cross, and can be used by tamers to create circles to summon their familiars.

I also want to give each character a unique ability at level 20, and halping to balance that would be greatly appreciated.