PDA

View Full Version : Arrested for a bad Hamburger

StickMan
2007-09-10, 05:30 AM
Has anyone else heard about this one? A woman was Arrested at a McDonald's after some salt had spilled on some hamburgers, her manager whipped off the salt and told her to serve them. A Police officer was one of the people who got a salty hamburger and it allegedly made him sick, so he came back and arrested the woman who made the hamburger. She is now being charged with misdemeanor reckless conduct, for serving the burger "without regards to the well-being of anyone who might consume it." and is out on $1000 bail.

Crazy Hu.

Yahoo story. (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070909/ap_on_fe_st/odd_salty_burger)

LCR
2007-09-10, 05:33 AM
Bad burgers at McDonald's? Can't be true. Must've been Burger King ...

Ceska
2007-09-10, 05:55 AM
I'm more surprised the manager isn't fined although telling her to serve it.

Ranis
2007-09-10, 05:57 AM
Wow, that...that put her in a rut. Get fired and not serve the burgers, serve the burgers and take great risk? Sucks for her.

Vampiric
2007-09-10, 06:00 AM
Some people are just odd. She brought up a good question though: If it was too salty, why didn't the police officer take one bite and throw it away? It's his own fault for eating all of it...:smallsigh: some people... eh?

eidreff
2007-09-10, 06:46 AM
Surely there must be a point that this kind of thing will stop!!! *Rant Rant*

This kind of thing is why, when i buy a cup of coffee, i am told that the contents "may" be hot....(If they're not i'll lynch whoever served me cold coffee (especially starting work at 6 am!))

whatever happend to people using common sense. of course hot beverages are hot, if something is too salty stopp eating, if you feel you are about to fall over do not drink more alcohol etc etc.....

*rant ends, takes deep breathe*

thank you for listening

unstattedCommoner
2007-09-10, 07:24 AM
Surely there must be a point that this kind of thing will stop!!! *Rant Rant*

This kind of thing is why, when i buy a cup of coffee, i am told that the contents "may" be hot....(If they're not i'll lynch whoever served me cold coffee (especially starting work at 6 am!))

On the subject of hot coffee:

"50. [Claimant's expert witness] criticised the foam hot cup for its high thermal efficiency. He said that this meant a consumer had no sensory understanding of how hot the contents were and the drink was not allowed to cool. However, I am quite satisfied that McDonald’s were entitled to assume that the consumer would know that the drink was hot and there are numerous commonplace ways of speeding up cooling such as stirring and blowing."

(To say nothing of the fact that insufficient thermal efficiency would have been more dangerous, becuase the cups would have been too hot to handle.)

"81. Persons generally expect tea or coffee purchased to be consumed on the premises to be hot. Many prefer to consume a hot drink from an unlidded cup rather than through a spout in the lid. Persons generally know that if a hot drink is spilled onto someone, a serious scalding injury can result. They accordingly know that care must be taken to avoid such spills, especially if they are with young children. They expect precautions to be taken to guard against this risk but not to the point that they are denied the basic utility of being able to buy hot drinks to be consumed on the premises from a cup with the lid off. Given that the staff were trained to cap the drinks securely and given the capabilities of the cups and lids used, I am satisfied that the safety of the hot drinks served by McDonald's was such as persons generally are entitled to expect. Accordingly, I hold that in serving hot drinks in the manner in which they did McDonald's was not in breach of the [Consumer Protection Act 1987, Part I]."
-- Bogle v McDonald's [2002] EWHC 490 (QB) (http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWHC/QB/2002/490.html), Field J.

Death, your friend the Reaper
2007-09-10, 07:38 AM
Wait "reckless conduct"?

Surely it would at least have been for "A-salt-ing an officer"?:smallamused:

Shadow of the Sun
2007-09-10, 07:51 AM
Death?

Bad.

BAD.

Charity
2007-09-10, 07:51 AM
I suppose it's better than burgerlry

banjo1985
2007-09-10, 07:54 AM

Why is it that pretty much everything you post makes me laugh?! :smallbiggrin:

Selling bad hamburgers in McDonalds? Wonders will never cease!

2007-09-10, 07:55 AM
^^^^*Waves at Shadow O Sun*

Ah, Charity, we have so much to Ketchup.

EDIT: Looks like they actually are supporting burgerly
http://vancouver.metblogs.com/archives/images/2006/03/hamburglar.gif

(Hm, he looks like he is in a bit of a pickle there)

smellie_hippie
2007-09-10, 07:56 AM
Are these puns seasame seeded? It sure seems like you're pouring salt in the wound... :smalltongue:

Pwenet
2007-09-10, 07:59 AM
Tis sad.

It is a universal fact that eating burgers at McDonalds is like playing the lottery.

Sometimes you get something good. Sometimes it is meh. The rest of the time you are praying to the porcelain gods.

Looks like the cop lost, badly. And being in a authority of power, hello arrest that will haunt the person for the rest of her days.

Of course she is somewhat to blame, but moreso her manager for telling her to let it go, since she DID report it to him. The manager should have been the one cooling his heels in the police station in my humble opinion.

Charity
2007-09-10, 08:02 AM
I think we should take some of these sauce's with a pinch of salt.
I relish the idea of catching up with you Deatho, it's bun too long.

Gygaxphobia
2007-09-10, 08:04 AM

There's not really such thing as a good hamburger, don't just re-spout the revolutionary activist propaganda, McDonalds isnt the Devils' own brand.

Charity
2007-09-10, 08:16 AM
No (http://images.jupiterimages.com/common/detail/37/12/23051237.jpg) such (http://www.superchefblog.com/images/gourmetburger_cover.png) thing (http://www.mealsforyou.com/store/images/alazing/z_bg001ba.jpg) as a good burger? (http://www.chipsbooks.com/gourburg4.jpg)

Bah (http://farm1.static.flickr.com/4/7991766_3c2539ac09_m.jpg)

banjo1985
2007-09-10, 08:17 AM
There's not really such thing as a good hamburger, don't just re-spout the revolutionary activist propaganda, McDonalds isnt the Devils' own brand.

I must say I'm no revolutionary, and I'm not saying Mcdonalds is some devil that needs to be destroyed. I just put forward a flippant remark that backs up my opinion that Mcdonalds make terrible food, even compared to similar fast food chains...

Serpentine
2007-09-10, 08:31 AM
I would just like to point out that Mcdonalds doesn't make real burgers, so using them to make broad statements on what hamburgers are like is entirely unfair. They don't have to be gormet - the corner store down here makes great ones, all full of real meat and bbq sauce and onion and egg and lettuce and tomato and beetroot and... >drool<

eidreff
2007-09-10, 08:31 AM
*fails d20 test to see if can think of way to insert gherkin/processed cheese-slice into a comment*

on a serious note, surely the burgers should be stored in a freezer/chiller room? melty meat patties are "minging" when uncooked. What was salt doing in a freezer.

otherwise they could have just run it under a running water tap....

Charity
2007-09-10, 08:33 AM
Why is it that pretty much everything you post makes me laugh?! :smallbiggrin:

Who can say

*hisssss*
http://www.bimsracingproducts.com/Multi-3lg.jpg

Tormsskull
2007-09-10, 08:43 AM
Mmmmm, McDonald's Double Cheese burgers. $1. How can you beat that? Before I went on my latest diet I used to eat them 1/month or so.

Tom_Violence
2007-09-10, 09:20 AM
McDonalds is the poor drunk's kebab.

StickMan
2007-09-10, 09:36 AM
Mmmmm, McDonald's Double Cheese burgers. $1. How can you beat that? Before I went on my latest diet I used to eat them 1/month or so.

BurgerKing Junior Wooper $1.

Charity
2007-09-10, 09:42 AM
Gum scrapped off my shoe ... free!

magicwalker
2007-09-10, 09:51 AM
Hrmm..

I find that my burger is too salty for safe consumption. I return said burger and get another burger. If this second burger is still too salty for consumption. I inform the place of business that I would like a refund. The consumer should have known better! He's recklessly disregarding his own health!

"Wow this tastes like the Dead Sea... I smell a lawsuit!!"

2007-09-10, 10:02 AM
Gum scrapped off my shoe ... free!

Ah, I went clubbing the other night. Hopped from barstool to barstool hoping to get lucky.

And would you believe it? Not a single one had bubblegum under them.

eidreff
2007-09-10, 10:15 AM
Ah, I went clubbing the other night. Hopped from barstool to barstool hoping to get lucky.

And would you believe it? Not a single one had bubblegum under them.

Hmmm, in one of the few bars i go to regularly one of the locals make a habit of doing something like this with drinks. We call it mine-sweeping... it's my drink occifer honesht.

oh and Eeew

Thes Hunter
2007-09-10, 10:27 AM
Why is it that pretty much everything you (Charity) post makes me laugh?! :smallbiggrin:

Because he takes all the funny from me.

So he is like concentrated fun, or something.
Or just looks good in a skirt.

evisiron
2007-09-10, 01:22 PM
*fails d20 test to see if can think of way to insert gherkin/processed cheese-slice into a comment*

Eh, dont worry. It would have just ended up as some cheesey pun anyway.

Anyway, lettuce leave these puns behind and get back on topic!

KoDT69
2007-09-10, 01:25 PM
I always suffer for eating anything from McDonald's. I bet I'd have a good case against them! But I'm a better person than that, and I hate dealing with lawyers.

FdL
2007-09-10, 02:11 PM
Seems she got Chief Wiggum all angry. Can't mess with The Law, you hamburguer flipper.:smallamused:

SteveMB
2007-09-10, 02:18 PM
Anyway, lettuce leave these puns behind and get back on topic!
Their food didn't pass mustard, and now somebody's buns are in a sling.

tannish2
2007-09-10, 03:45 PM
i think the cop should be fired, castrated, and possibly killed just in case..... and the manager should get slapped in the face by a pissed off employee..... thats just me though, if you dont want to get sick DONT EAT AT MCDONALDS AFTER 10 AM! (and even before that, its still probably a good idea to think twice.. or three times)