PDA

View Full Version : The Shadowtrick Priest

CopperElfCleric
2018-07-09, 05:29 PM
Shadowtrick Priest (specialty cleric of Erevan Ilesere)

Some Elven folk have always feared the starless night, barring themselves behind doors or comforting themselves with bonfires when the shadows grow long, rightfully wary of the creatures that prowl the darkness. Yet long ago, some Clerics of Erevan Ilesere learned that the best way to conquer an enemy in the shadows is to embrace it. These were the first Shadowtrick priests. As a specialty Cleric of Erevan Ilesere, you gain the innate ability to feel the divine connection of Trickery and Shadows. She uses the weave of Faerun to access the Plane of Shadow directly. She is intimately familiar with the shadows around her and her divine connection to Erevan Ilesere. Her innate ability with shadows and Trickery combine to grant her these special abilities. Shadowtrick priests exist in the boundary between light and darkness, where they weave together the shadows to become half-seen artists of deception. Your Trickery and Shadows are unequal as a Shadowtrick priest of Erevan Ilesere.

Hit Die: d8.

Requirements: To qualify to become a Shadowtrick priest, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.

Race: Character must be a Elf or Half Elf.
Skills: Knowledge (religion) 6 ranks, Disguise 5 ranks, Disable device 6 ranks, Bluff 6 ranks, Hide 10 ranks, Move silently 6 ranks, sleight of hand 5 ranks, Concentration 2 ranks, Spellcraft 5 ranks, Escape Artist 2 ranks.
Feats: Any Metamagic feat, Sacred Outlaw.
Spellcasting: Ability to cast 3'rd level Divine spells. Must have the Trickery domain or the Shadow domain.
Special: +2d6 Sneak attack ability. Must have Erevan Ilesere as a Patron Deity.
Class Skills: Bluff, Concentration, Diplomacy, Disable Device, Disguise, Forgery, Gather Information, Hide, Knowledge (arcana), Knowledge (local), Knowledge (religion), Knowledge (the planes), Listen, Move Silently, Open lock, Search, Sleight of Hand, Spellcraft, Spot.

Skill points at each level- 6 + Int mod.

Class Features:
Weapon & Armor Proficiency: Shadowtrick priests are proficient with all simple weapons, plus the hand crossbow, rapier, sap, shortbow, and short sword. ST's are proficient with light armor, but not with shields.

Spells per day: A shadowtrick priests training focuses on divine magic. Thus, when a character gains a new level of STP, she gains new spells per day as if she also gained a level in whatever spellcasting class she belonged to before she added the prestige class. She does not however gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained.

Expanded Spell List: Starting at first level and every level thereafter your deity grants you additional spells of trickery and shadows. Add the following spells to the spell list of one divine spellcasting class you posses levels in.
1: charm person, fengut, net of shadows
2: blur, invisibility, phantasmal assailant
3: displacement, abolish shadows, rend shadow weave
4: greater invisibility, phantasmal killer, shadow conjuration
5: false vision, seeming, shadow evocation
6: mislead, veil, shadow walk
7: mass invisibility, greater shadow conjuration, project alternate image
8: screen, scintillating pattern, greater shadow evocation
9: shades, stalking spell, weird

Consecrated Deceiver: At 1'st level the STP gains the ability to add her shadowtrick priest class levels to stack with her Sacred Outlaw feat. For example, a 5'th level cleric/ 3'rd level rogue/ 3'rd level shadowtrick priest Turns undead as a 11'th level cleric, and deals +6d6 points of damage on a successful sneak attack. Furthermore, if she also has the Divine Scoundrel class ability from the Mischiefmaker prestige class, then this ability also stacks with both of those.

Extra Granted Domain: At 1'st level, the STP gains access to one domain chosen from among those her deity offers, and with it the granted power of that domain. STP's who were once clerics essentially gain an extra domain this way and can prepare their domain spells at each level from the new domain’s list if they wish.

Surprise Shadowcasting:(Ex) At 2'nd level, whenever you catch an opponent flat-footed or denied their Dexterity bonus to AC (not simply flanked) and you cast a spell from the Expanded Spell list, the spell receives a +1 divine bonus to the DC for catching them off-guard. This bonus increases by 1 every three levels beyond 2'nd. (5th, 8th, etc).

Shadowself:(Sp) A 3'rd level shadowtrick priest can speak an incantation and nearby shadows gather together, assuming your approximate size and shape. You create a shadowy duplicate of yourself at a place you indicate within 50'. The shadow double attacks any adjacent target (regardless of the weapon it appears to wield), as you desire, starting in the round when you cast the spell. It attacks on your turn once each round, striking with an attack bonus equal to your base attack bonus + your Wis modifier. Each hit deals 1 point of Strength damage to the target. The first time a target is hit, it can attempt a Will save to disbelieve the effect; this negates the damage and renders it immune to further attacks by the shadow double. The shadow double occupies a space identical to yours. It is not incorporeal, and thus can't share a space with another creature or object. It can provide a flanking bonus against any creature that hasn't yet saved successfully against it. The shadow double can strike incorporeal creatures, but not ethereal creatures. Each round after the first, you can use a swift action to direct the shadow double to attack any other target. To attack this new target, the shadow double can move to any new legal space within 30 feet (it moves by instantaneous teleportation). If it is not commanded to switch targets, it continues to attack the same target. A shadow double can be attacked. It has an Armor Class equal to 10 + your size modifier + a deflection bonus equal to your Wis modifier, and has one-fifth of your full normal hit points. If the shadow double is reduced to 0 hit points, or if you create a second shadow double when the first still exists, the shadow double dissolves into mist. The Shadowself lasts 1 round/ STP level and can be used a number of times a day equal to your Wis modifier.

Conceal Shadowtricks:(Ex) At 4'th level you can cast a spell from the Expanded Spell List without revealing that you are doing so. Make a Sleight of Hand check as part of the action used to cast the spell, opposed by the Spot checks of onlookers. If you are successful, an observer can't tell that you're casting a spell. That observer cannot make an attack of opportunity against you for casting, nor can it attempt to counter your spell. Furthermore, if you successfully cast a concealed spell from the Expanded list you can immediately cast another spell as a free action or perform another standard action of your choice.

Mantle of Shadows:(Su) At 5'th level the shadowtrick priest is able to create a pitch black mantle of swirling shadows to form around her head and shoulders like a cloak as a free action. It cannot be physically removed, completely hides your features, and continuously grants Nondetection as the spell, plus the shadowtrick priest gains a superior form of darkvision with a 60-foot range. She can see through any form of normal or magical darkness without hindrance. In addition, she may cast Shadowspray and Friend to Foe while wearing the Mantle of Shadows one time a day each.

Afraid of the Shadows:(Sp) At 6'th level the STP may draw forth a twisted reflection of your foe from the Plane of Shadow. The image unerringly touches the subject, causing Wisdom damage equal to 1d6 points +1 point per four caster levels (maximum +5). A Will saving throw halves the Wisdom damage. This ability takes one standard action.

Shadow Shield:(Sp) At 7'th level a STP can surround himself with a globe of blue-black force as a swift action. This shield of shadows functions like a shield spell, granting him a +4 shield bonus to AC and absorbing magic missiles cast at him. In addition, the shield also grants him spell resistance equal to 12 + his STP level, as if he were under the effect of a spell resistance spell. The STP may use a shadow shield for up to 2 rounds per caster level per day. This duration need not be consecutive and the STP may break it up into increments as small as 1 round if he so desires. Creating or dismissing the shadow shield is a swift action.

Bewildering Shadows:(Sp) At 8'th level You channel the mockery of your trickster deity to sow dissension among your opponents.
By using this ability, you cause the subject to believe that two allies and two enemies have traded places.
The allies physically closest to the subject now seems to have the appearance, voice, clothing, and gear of its nearest enemies, and that the enemy looks and sounds exactly like the subject's nearest ally. Unless the subject makes a successful Will save, it immediately attacks the false enemy, which is considered flat-footed for that round only.
Both the ally and the enemy must be within the effects range of 50 feet, and the effect ends immediately if either moves out of its range from you. Bewildering shadows affects only the subject, and takes a standard action to cast. This spell like ability is cast at full character caster level and lasts 1 round/STP level. A will save negates the effects. This spell-like ability can be used a number of times a day equal to your WIS modifier.

Master of Shadow deception:(Ex) A 9'th level STP gains the ability to cast any spell from the Expanded Spell List as a free action after successfully dealing sneak attack damage. Additionally if she casts any spells from the Expanded Spell List with their normal casting time, they are automatically extended, as per the Extend spell feat.

Powerful Shadow Tricks:(Su) When a shadowtrick priest reaches 10'th level, the strength of the effects created by her shadow conjuration, shadow evocation, greater shadow conjuration, greater shadow evocation, and shades spells increases by 20%. That is, these spells are an additional 20% likely to affect disbelieving creatures and deal 20% more damage. As no shadow illusion is 100% real the percentage is capped at 99%.

(All spell-like abilities are cast at total character caster level)

Hit Die: d8

Level Attack Fort Ref Will Special Spellcasting
1st 0 0 2 2 Expanded spell list, Consecrated Deceiver, Granted Domain +1 level of existing divine spellcasting class
2nd 1 0 3 3 Surprise Shadowcasting +1 level of existing divine spellcasting class
3rd 2 1 3 3 Deceptive Weapon +1 level of existing divine spellcasting class
4th 3 1 4 4 Conceal Shadowtricks +1 level of existing divine spellcasting class
5th 3 1 4 4 Mantle of Shadows +1 level of existing divine spellcasting class
6th 4 2 5 5 Afraid of the Shadows +1 level of existing divine spellcasting class
7th 5 2 5 5 Shadow Shield +1 level of existing divine spellcasting class
8th 6 2 6 6 Bewildering Shadows +1 level of existing divine spellcasting class
9th 6 3 6 6 Master of Shadow Deception +1 level of existing divine spellcasting class
10th 7 3 7 7 Powerful shadow Tricks +20% +1 level of existing divine spellcasting class

All comments, critiques and questions are welcomed!! ;)

CopperElfCleric
2018-07-11, 03:22 PM
So is it too powerful or too weak, or just balanced enough??

nonsi
2018-07-12, 12:58 AM
Seems decent.

A general note: You should specify for each ability if it's (Su) or (Sp).

Several points:
Burglary and trap handling is not among this class' bag of tricks, so the requirement for Disable Device seems out of context to me.
Mask of Shadows: If the mask covers just your face, why does it grant Displacement ?
Afraid of the Shadows: You didn't specify the action cost.
Shadow Shield: A standard action for Shield effect that has duration in rounds? at 15th level?... Just buy a magic item.
Master of Shadow deception: Should be applicable only vs. the target of your SA (a sort of spell channeling).
Powerful Shadow Tricks: Shades should be capped at 99%, or even 95%. Illusions should never be 100% real.

CopperElfCleric
2018-07-12, 09:44 AM
Seems decent.

A general note: You should specify for each ability if it's (Su) or (Sp).

Several points:
Burglary and trap handling is not among this class' bag of tricks, so the requirement for Disable Device seems out of context to me.
Mask of Shadows: If the mask covers just your face, why does it grant Displacement ?
Afraid of the Shadows: You didn't specify the action cost.
Shadow Shield: A standard action for Shield effect that has duration in rounds? at 15th level?... Just buy a magic item.
Master of Shadow deception: Should be applicable only vs. the target of your SA (a sort of spell channeling).
Powerful Shadow Tricks: Shades should be capped at 99%, or even 95%. Illusions should never be 100% real.

Thank you. The Mask covers your face but affects your entire body for that one ability. I'd rather have a shield that lasts for X amount of rounds than a magic item you can lose or run out of charges. I like your spell channeling idea. and I also agree with your 99% cap on illusions.

aimlessPolymath
2018-07-12, 11:12 AM
Shadow Shield doesn't seem great for what it gives:
-20% concealment vs. Displacement off the Mask is semi-redundant, I think you can use this to hide, but its duration is measured in rounds, sooo...
-Giving a round per level per day but a standard action both to activate and to dismiss is just cruel. At minimum, you should be able to dismiss as a move action (standard for spells), or a swift action (fairness).

I'm not sold on using it instead of just buying an animated shield.

Edit: Also, can you explain the range limits on Bewildering Shadows? I count three characters designated by the spell, but two limited by range.
I might let you swap the appearance of any two creatures, too- more fun that way.
Also, any use/day limit on it? It might be OK at-will or nearly so, so I'm just wondering.

CopperElfCleric
2018-07-12, 12:28 PM
Shadow Shield doesn't seem great for what it gives:
-20% concealment vs. Displacement off the Mask is semi-redundant, I think you can use this to hide, but its duration is measured in rounds, sooo...
-Giving a round per level per day but a standard action both to activate and to dismiss is just cruel. At minimum, you should be able to dismiss as a move action (standard for spells), or a swift action (fairness).

I'm not sold on using it instead of just buying an animated shield.

Edit: Also, can you explain the range limits on Bewildering Shadows? I count three characters designated by the spell, but two limited by range.
I might let you swap the appearance of any two creatures, too- more fun that way.
Also, any use/day limit on it? It might be OK at-will or nearly so, so I'm just wondering.

Okay, thank you... I've changed Bewildering shadows as I liked your ideas on it. Also... I changed Shadow shield to have a longer duration and cast as an immediate action. Let me know what you think. This PrC is in it's vamping stage.

aimlessPolymath
2018-07-12, 03:16 PM
Sorry, I think there was a miscommunication- I didn't mean that the shadowtrick priest would swap more than two creatures' appearances, but that you would choose which two, rather than necessarily their closest ally- you could make your cleric and fighter swap appearances, for example.

CopperElfCleric
2018-07-12, 03:38 PM
Sorry, I think there was a miscommunication- I didn't mean that the shadowtrick priest would swap more than two creatures' appearances, but that you would choose which two, rather than necessarily their closest ally- you could make your cleric and fighter swap appearances, for example.

This ability is meant to trick the enemy into thinking it's own ally betrayed him, while replacing his ally with an enemy opponent. So if the illusion works and he thinks he is striking his enemy, he is actually striking his ally. Hope that clarifies. Or did I get your meaning wrong again? lol.

aimlessPolymath
2018-07-12, 03:52 PM
No, I understand what the ability does right now- but I'm offering a moderate improvement in its versatility that only moderately expands on what it does, in a logical extension. By letting the player choose which appearances to swap instead of forcing a specific mode, it opens it up to other uses in addition to the original one.

CopperElfCleric
2018-07-12, 08:16 PM
No, I understand what the ability does right now- but I'm offering a moderate improvement in its versatility that only moderately expands on what it does, in a logical extension. By letting the player choose which appearances to swap instead of forcing a specific mode, it opens it up to other uses in addition to the original one.

I see, and yes, I do think I like your idea of picking which appearances to swap. Also, there are some similarities between this PrC and the Mischiefmaker, both of which worship Erevan Ilesere. Granted domain on both allow the divine caster to attain a more diverse range of spells for all the domains the deity offers. And both PrCs' have abilities that stack with Sacred Outlaw and with one another to achieve maximum Turn undead and sneak attack damage without wasting feats. Lastly, The only abilities I wanted to seem somewhat similar is the Masks at 5th level for both. Otherwise I am trying to make the classes separate and distinguishable from one another. Would you say this Shadowtrick class is now balanced with the help you've given, or does it still need more vamping?

CopperElfCleric
2018-07-13, 09:04 AM
I've removed deceptive weapon and added Shadowself in its place. I've also replaced Mask of shadows with Mantle of shadows.

CopperElfCleric
2018-07-19, 07:21 AM
I am finished vamping this PrC for now, but still open to all comments and suggestions.

CopperElfCleric
2018-07-28, 06:00 PM
I love this PrC!! Playing this class tonight!!

CopperElfCleric
2018-08-04, 10:47 PM
Big hit at the Raleigh NC gamers conference.

CopperElfCleric
2018-12-05, 10:57 AM
I changed two abilities to better fit the PrC. Going to test play it on Friday. Hope you enjoy.

CopperElfCleric
2019-02-16, 06:18 AM
The group playtested this PrC and it went over really well with all the PC's. The DM was happy with the balance, so I'm good.