PDA

View Full Version : Odd thing for a magicker to do?

Deth Muncher
2007-09-10, 03:01 PM
So, I've been thinking about this whole "Mages get penalized for armor" bullcrap, and then started thinking....could you Telekenisis some armor to float several inches off your your clothing, then Permenancy it to get effective armor?

Crow
2007-09-10, 03:06 PM
The idea is that it interferes with the movements the mage needs to do in order to cast the spell.

You could actually select only spells that do not require somatic components and wear as much armor as you please without any penalty whatsoever.

Spiryt
2007-09-10, 03:13 PM
So, I've been thinking about this whole "Mages get penalized for armor" bullcrap, and then started thinking....could you Telekenisis some armor to float several inches off your your clothing, then Permenancy it to get effective armor?

Well, how it actually be different from wearing armor? It will be ever more nasty, I can say. I was wearing breasplate once, made for guy much bigger than me. Front side was at least few inches away from my chest. It was really cumbersome, when properly sized armor would be quite OK.

And from gaming point of view - by SRD you cannot made telekinezis permanent.

Deth Muncher
2007-09-10, 03:23 PM
And from gaming point of view - by SRD you cannot made telekinezis permanent.

Oh, well....thats the crux of this discussion....so....conversation over.

CASTLEMIKE
2007-09-10, 04:35 PM
If your DM lets you permanency one of the various force armors that would work without ASF.

tannish2
2007-09-10, 04:41 PM
mythril (material DMG) twilight (+1 bonus equivilent BOED or PHB2) and feycraft or githcraft (template DMG2) breastplate... or remove twilight and make it a chain shirt (and you will get the same total armor bonus)

of course you still need proficiency, but thats just one feat. or theres a level of spellsword for even further reduced arcane spell failure. but still great for mystic theurges or arcane tricksters (or other multiclass wizard classes)

Indon
2007-09-10, 04:44 PM

Armor sounds rather silly.

Now, doing that with a tower shield and using it for cover? More feasible.

But, think on this: A permanencied effect is on _all the time_. You sleeping? You're sleeping with a tower shield floating next to you. Try not to turn in your sleep too much.

Kurald Galain
2007-09-10, 05:11 PM
So, I've been thinking about this whole "Mages get penalized for armor" bullcrap, and then started thinking....

Going out on a limb here, but you can simply houserule it away. D&D is, to my knowledge, the only game where arcane casters aren't allowed to wear reinforced clothing. At low levels, giving casters a decent AC won't upset game balance all that much, given their utter lack of hit points. At high levels, casters won't care what their AC is.

Kaelik
2007-09-11, 01:06 AM
mythril (material DMG) twilight (+1 bonus equivilent BOED or PHB2) and feycraft or githcraft (template DMG2) breastplate... or remove twilight and make it a chain shirt (and you will get the same total armor bonus)

of course you still need proficiency, but thats just one feat. or theres a level of spellsword for even further reduced arcane spell failure. but still great for mystic theurges or arcane tricksters (or other multiclass wizard classes)

Why take a profeciency feat for Mithril Twilight Chain Shirt? It has a ACP of 0?