PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next The Dragon Patron (Dragonfire Adept adaptation)

Grod_The_Giant
2018-07-13, 02:58 PM
Inspired by this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?563506-How-Would-You-Do-DFA). Trying to hit key points from both the original Dragonfire Adept class, and general dragons-as-monsters.

The Dragon
You’ve made a pact with one of the great scaled ones, vowing to work towards your patron’s goals in exchange for a mere sliver of their arcane might.

Expanded Spell List: The following spells are added to the warlock spell list for you.

1st-- Charm Person, Identify
2nd-- Alter Self, Enlarge/Reduce
3rd-- Fear, Fly
4th-- Charm Monster, Stoneskin
5th-- Control Winds, Dominate Person

Dragonbreath: At 1st level, you learn the Draconic Breath cantrip (below). However, you may not learn the Eldritch Blast cantrip under any circumstances.

Dragontouched: At 1st level, your skin becomes thick and scaly, granting you a base AC of 16 (your Dexterity modifier doesn't affect this number). You gain no benefit from wearing armor, but if you are using a shield, you can apply the shield's bonus as normal.

In addition, you learn to read and speak Draconic, if you did not already, and have Advantage on Charisma checks to interact with dragons and Intelligence checks to recall information about them.

Roaring Breath: At 6th level, you gain the ability to drastically increase the power of your breath weapon, at the cost of temporarily burning it out. When casting Draconic Breath as a cantrip, you may choose to double the number of damage dice the cantrip deals. However, after doing so, you cannot use it again for a short time. At the start of each turn, roll 1d6. If you roll a 5 or a 6, you may resume using the cantrip as normal.

Dragonkin: At 10th level, the AC granted by your scales improves to 18, and you gain Advantage on saves against the breath weapons and frightful presence abilities of dragons.

Dragon Wings: At 14th level, you sprout a pair of leathery wings, allowing you to fly at a speed of 40ft per round.

----------------------------------------------------
Draconic Breath
Evocation Cantrip
Casting Time: 1 action
Components: V
Duration: Instant

You exhale a cloud of elemental energies. Upon casting this spell, choose one of the following effects:
Acid—All creatures in a 30ft line must make a Constitution save or take 1d8 acid damage.
Fire—All creatures in a 15ft cone must make a Dexterity save or take 1d8 fire damage.
Frost— All creatures in a 15ft cone must make a Constitution save or take 1d8 cold damage.
Lightning—All creatures in a 30ft line must make a Dexterity save or take 1d8 lightning damage.
Poison--All creatures in a 5ft radius must make Constitution saves or take 1d8 poison damage.

At 5th level, the spell's range increases to 30ft (for a cone), 60ft (for a line), or 10ft (for a radius), and its damage increases to 2d8. At 11th, the range increases to a 60ft cone, 120ft line, or 20ft radius, and its damage increases to 3d8. At 17th its damage increases to 4d8.

Draconic Knowledge
Prerequisite: The Dragon patron
You may add half your Proficiency bonus to Intelligence checks (round up). Once per long rest, you may cast Identify without using a spell slot.

Eldritch Breath
When you cast Draconic Breath, you may expend a spell slot to increase its power. Instead of the usual number of d8s of damage, your breath deals 2d6 damage per level of the slot expended. This damage is not doubled by your Roaring Breath ability; instead, you may reroll and 1s and 2s on the damage dice. You must use the new results, even if they are lower.

Entangling Breath
When casting Draconic Breath, you may choose to do half damage. If you do, enemies who fail their save against your Draconic Breath cantrip are also restrained for one round.

Masterful Breath
When you cast Draconic Breath, you may exclude any number of targets within the affected area, and you may add your Constitution modifier to the damage dealt.

Sleep Breath
You gain a new option for your Draconic Breath cantrip-- Sleep. This functions as the Sleep spell, cast using one of your normal pact magic slots, but affecting a 15ft cone. At 5th level this range increases to a 30ft cone, and at 11th level to a 60ft cone.

Draconic Blade
Prerequisite: 5th level, the Dragon patron, Pact of the Blade
After casting Draconic Breath, your pact weapon retains some of the energy. For one minute, or until you cast it again, your attacks with your pact weapon deal an additional 1d6 points of damage of the same type as the breath effect you just used.

Humanoid Shape
Prerequisite: 5th level, the Dragon patron
You may cast Alter Self on yourself at will, without expending a spell slot.

Slow Breath
You gain a new option for your Draconic Breath cantrip-- Slowness. This functions as the Slow spell, cast using one of your normal pact magic slots, but affecting all targets in a 30ft cone. At 11th level this range increases to a 60ft cone.

Voracious Dispelling
Prerequisite: 5th level
You learn Dispel Magic and Counterspell and may cast them using Warlock spell slots. When you cast Dispel Magic, the target suffers 2 damage per spell level successfully removed; when you successfully cast Counterspell, the caster suffers 2 damage per level of the spell they were attempting.
Inspired by Quintus Vorenus

Frightful Presence
Prerequisite: 7th level, the Dragon patron
Your voice is one of fire and terror. When you use your Roaring Breath feature, all enemies within 60ft must make Wisdom saves or be Frightened for 1 minute. They may repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success. If a creature's saving throw is successful or the effect ends for it, the creature is immune to this ability for the next 24 hours.

Baleful Geas
Prerequisite: 9th level
Once per long rest, you learn Geas and may cast it using Warlock spell slots. At the end of each day it is affected, the target's hit point maximum is reduced by 5. If reduced to zero, the target dies.

Unrelenting Breath
Prerequisite: 9th level, the Dragon patron
When you cast Draconic Breath, creatures who fail their save suffer an additional effect . This effect depends on what breath weapon you use:
Acid—The target takes acid damage equal to half your breath weapon damage at the start of your next turn.
Fire—The target catches aflame, taking 1d6 fire damage at the start of each of your turns until it or another creature takes an action to extinguish the flames.
Frost— The target cannot move or take reactions for 1 round.
Lightning— The target suffers Disadvantage on Dexterity checks and saves for 1 round.
Poison-- Your poison breath weapon ignores poison resistance and immunity.
Sleep-- The target cannot be woken during their first round of sleep.
Slow-- As long as it is slowed, the target suffers 1d6 psychic damage at the start of each of your turns.

Discorporating Breath of Bahamut
Prerequisite: 18th level, the Dragon patron, good alignment
You gain a new option for your Draconic Breath cantrip-- Radiant. All creatures in a 120ft line must make Constitution saves or take 4d8 radiant damage. If you have the Unrelenting Breath invocation, they are also blinded for 1 round.

Once per long rest, you may cast Draconic Breath to unleash a bolt of pure energy. All creatures in a 120ft line must make Constitution saves. On a failure, they take 10d6+40 damage; on a success, they take half that. If this damage reduces the target to 0 hit points, it is disintegrated, as the spell. This ability affects nonmagical objects and magical constructs as the spell does.

Fivefold Breath of Tiamat
Prerequisite: 18th level, the Dragon patron, evil alignment
You gain a new option for your Draconic Breath cantrip-- Thunder. All creatures in a 60ft cone must make Constitution saves or take 4d8 thunder damage. If you have the Unrelenting Breath invocation, they are also deafened for 1 round.

Once per long rest, you may cast Draconic Breath five times as part of a single action, choosing a different breath effect each time. Creatures caught in one or more of the affected areas make a single Dexterity save; on a failure they take full damage from each effect that hit them, and on a success they take half.

leogobsin
2018-07-13, 03:40 PM
A suggestion I might make: for the Draconic Breath options that are a line, change it to 30 feet long (and also 5 feet wide since lines need a width as well as a length). That's the same size as Dragonborn breath weapons, and probably more balanced since it's generally gonna be pretty hard to get multiple targets in a 15 foot line.

Nifft
2018-07-13, 04:23 PM
15 ft. cone is sad but viable.

15 ft. line is pathetic.

Also some minor editing bugs like:

This spell’s range increases by 5ft and its damage by 1d6 when you reach 5th (2d8), 11th (3d8), and 17th level (4d8).

Grod_The_Giant
2018-07-13, 04:53 PM
A suggestion I might make: for the Draconic Breath options that are a line, change it to 30 feet long (and also 5 feet wide since lines need a width as well as a length). That's the same size as Dragonborn breath weapons, and probably more balanced since it's generally gonna be pretty hard to get multiple targets in a 15 foot line.
Good point--fixed.

Nifft
2018-07-13, 05:58 PM
Good point--fixed.

The scaling is still weird, especially distance scaling for the lines.

Personally I'd give the ability to attune allies so you can use it in melee at level 1, but as an invocation-tax at level 2 that's not so terrible.

I'd consider adding Con bonus to damage, since the previous incarnation had a Con saving throw.

Slow Breath is good on those rounds when Roaring Breath is recharging, I guess, except Shaped Breath doesn't seem to apply?

An MM dragon's Frightful Presence is balanced around being easy to apply (happens automatically) yet also easy to remove (save every turn, on save gain immunity). Changing it to cost an action makes it unbalanced on the weak side.

Grod_The_Giant
2018-07-13, 06:25 PM
The scaling is still weird, especially distance scaling for the lines.
Hmm. How would you suggest scaling it?

Personally I'd give the ability to attune allies so you can use it in melee at level 1, but as an invocation-tax at level 2 that's not so terrible.

I'd consider adding Con bonus to damage, since the previous incarnation had a Con saving throw.
So +Con to damage and exclude allies?

Slow Breath is good on those rounds when Roaring Breath is recharging, I guess, except Shaped Breath doesn't seem to apply?
I'll fix Shaped Breath interaction. You think it's too weak?

An MM dragon's Frightful Presence is balanced around being easy to apply (happens automatically) yet also easy to remove (save every turn, on save gain immunity). Changing it to cost an action makes it unbalanced on the weak side.
Oops-- the intention was "action to turn the aura on, after which it works automatically." I'll clarify.

Nifft
2018-07-13, 06:35 PM
Hmm. How would you suggest scaling it? 15/30 at level 1, then 30/60 at level __, and finally 60/120 at level __.

No need to increase in lock-step with damage.

So +Con to damage and exclude allies? Both in one invocation? Sure, why not. Now it's more like Agonizing Blast, in that it's still going to feel a bit like a tax, but it's a tax that makes you kinda awesome.

I'll fix Shaped Breath interaction. You think it's too weak? I dunno. Slow is pretty great. But it's weird that you get to use a breath weapon when your breath weapon is cooling down. If it was an augmentation of the cantrip, that would handle both of the interactions.

It might also grant other metallic breath options? I dunno.

Oops-- the intention was "action to turn the aura on, after which it works automatically." I'll clarify. It'd be cool if it just worked automatically when you used Roaring Breath -- "every enemy who can see and hear your Roaring Breath must also make a Charisma saving throw or be Frightened for 1 minute; saves every round to recover; blah blah".

Heh, maybe throw in Adoration of the Frightful -- "if you Frighten an enemy and that enemy survives even after witnessing your majestic power, you have Advantage on Charisma skill checks against that enemy for 1 hour".

Grod_The_Giant
2018-07-13, 06:44 PM
15/30 at level 1, then 30/60 at level __, and finally 60/120 at level __.

No need to increase in lock-step with damage.
I'd rather avoid making the cantrip even weirder, but yeah, good call.

Both in one invocation? Sure, why not. Now it's more like Agonizing Blast, in that it's still going to feel a bit like a tax, but it's a tax that makes you kinda awesome.
Seems fair, especially since it's supposed to function as an Eldritch Blast replacement.

I dunno. Slow is pretty great. But it's weird that you get to use a breath weapon when your breath weapon is cooling down. If it was an augmentation of the cantrip, that would handle both of the interactions.

It might also grant other metallic breath options? I dunno.
Hmm, yeah, okay. I just wrote up a bunch of updates, but I think I can work with that...maybe have them add new effects to the cantrip, and give Roaring an option to boost the save DC by 1-2 instead of increasing damage?

It'd be cool if it just worked automatically when you used Roaring Breath -- "every enemy who can see and hear your Roaring Breath must also make a Charisma saving throw or be Frightened for 1 minute; saves every round to recover; blah blah".

Heh, maybe throw in Adoration of the Frightful -- "if you Frighten an enemy and that enemy survives even after witnessing your majestic power, you have Advantage on Charisma skill checks against that enemy for 1 hour".
Ooh, I like that.

Nifft
2018-07-13, 07:23 PM
I'd rather avoid making the cantrip even weirder, but yeah, good call.

1 - You may want to make Cone and Line into terms defined in a separate section, so you can use them for stuff like the Slow Breath expansion, and have it integrate seamlessly. Then you just have fire (cone), acid (line), etc. -- and just say Slow (cone) instead of giving a fixed distance in the Invocation and relying on DMs to fill in the missing mechanics.

2 - Toxic Breath costs an invocation and gives you one of the most resisted conditions instead of dealing damage. Maybe have it deal damage, too? It's not strong but at least it's not terrible if it damages and debuffs.

3 - For Roaring, there's no need to have it interact with Slow at all, except insofar as you prohibit Slow until the breath recharges.

4 - Fatigue, hmm... NPCs can die from Exhaustion, right? And it sticks around basically forever? Not sure that's balanced.

Grod_The_Giant
2018-07-14, 11:59 AM
1 - You may want to make Cone and Line into terms defined in a separate section, so you can use them for stuff like the Slow Breath expansion, and have it integrate seamlessly. Then you just have fire (cone), acid (line), etc. -- and just say Slow (cone) instead of giving a fixed distance in the Invocation and relying on DMs to fill in the missing mechanics.
I've integrated everything into the base cantrip; I think is probably fine?

2 - Toxic Breath costs an invocation and gives you one of the most resisted conditions instead of dealing damage. Maybe have it deal damage, too? It's not strong but at least it's not terrible if it damages and debuffs.
Fair.

4 - Fatigue, hmm... NPCs can die from Exhaustion, right? And it sticks around basically forever? Not sure that's balanced.
I mean, it takes forever for players to recover from, but an NPC is much less likely to begrudge a few days of licking their wounds. Besides, it takes six hits to kill, and three before you're seriously combat-inconvenienced.

Nifft
2018-07-14, 05:45 PM
I've integrated everything into the base cantrip; I think is probably fine? Get someone else to read the class, and after they've read it, see if they think that Toxic / Sleep / Slow / etc. get bonus damage & range as you level up.

I mean, it takes forever for players to recover from, but an NPC is much less likely to begrudge a few days of licking their wounds. Besides, it takes six hits to kill, and three before you're seriously combat-inconvenienced.

So it's either useless in combat, or very strong if you hit-and-run across several encounters.

Is that the intent?

Grod_The_Giant
2018-07-17, 10:27 AM
Get someone else to read the class, and after they've read it, see if they think that Toxic / Sleep / Slow / etc. get bonus damage & range as you level up.
Will clarify.

So it's either useless in combat, or very strong if you hit-and-run across several encounters.

Is that the intent?
Not really... What if it imposes two levels at once, returning to normal after an hour? That gives you "half speed and disadvantage on ability checks" for the first hit (bad), "disadvantage on attacks and saves, and half HP" on the second hit (dire), and dead on the third?

VoxRationis
2018-07-17, 10:46 AM
Dragontouched: At 1st level, your skin becomes thick and scaly, granting you a base AC of 16 (your Dexterity modifier doesn't affect this number). You gain no benefit from wearing armor, but if you are using a shield, you can apply the shield's bonus as normal.

If I recall correctly, this is not how the usual "natural armor" AC features work. Is there a reason it doesn't say "When you are not wearing armor, your AC is 16"?

JNAProductions
2018-07-17, 10:54 AM
If I recall correctly, this is not how the usual "natural armor" AC features work. Is there a reason it doesn't say "When you are not wearing armor, your AC is 16"?

Because it's dumb that your scales go away if you put on a thick shirt.

Grod_The_Giant
2018-07-17, 11:13 AM
I copied the text from the tortle, but now that I look at it you're right--prob should have used Barksin's language

Quintus Vorenus
2018-07-29, 07:25 PM
Greetings Grod,

I really liked you Dragonfire adept, I don't know if you are planning to do some more work on it or not.

Anyway, I found myself thinking about it and came up with some ideas, that I would really like to use, I would like to post it here or as its own post (referencing and quoting you of course !!!)

If you want ill send you a preview!

Cheers for the good work!

Grod_The_Giant
2018-07-29, 07:31 PM
Greetings Grod,

I really liked you Dragonfire adept, I don't know if you are planning to do some more work on it or not.

Anyway, I found myself thinking about it and came up with some ideas, that I would really like to use, I would like to post it here or as its own post (referencing and quoting you of course !!!)

If you want ill send you a preview!

Cheers for the good work!
Sure! I'm glad you like it. Either location works!

(Also sorry if you just tried to PM me and my inbox was full; should have space now)

Quintus Vorenus
2018-07-29, 08:18 PM
Thanks Grod,

So here goes:

Expanded Spell List: The following spells are added to the warlock spell list for you.

1st-- Absorb Elements, Identify
2nd-- Alter Self, Dragon´s Breath
3rd-- Protection from Energy, Elemental Weapon
4th-- Charm Monster, Polymorph
5th-- Cloud Kill, Dominate Person

Draconic Breath: At 1st level, you learn the Draconic Breath cantrip (below), with one breath effect. However, you may not learn the Eldritch Blast cantrip under any circumstances.

Every even level of the warlock class you lean one additional breath effect to use with your Draconic Breath cantrip.

Draconic Breath
Evocation Cantrip

You exhale a cloud of elemental energies. Upon casting this spell, choose one of your breath effects:

• Acid—All creatures in a 30ft line must make a Constitution save or take 1d8 acid damage.
• Fire—All creatures in a 15ft cone must make a Dexterity save or take 1d8 fire damage.
• Frost— All creatures in a 15ft cone must make a Constitution save or take 1d8 cold damage.
• Force - All creatures in a 30ft line must make a Dexterity save or take 1d8 force damage.
• Lightning - All creatures in a 30ft line must make a Dexterity save or take 1d8 lightning damage.
• Necrotic - All creatures in a 15ft cone must make a Constitution save or take 1d8 cold damage.
• Poison - All creatures in a 15ft cone must make a Constitution save or take 1d8 poison damage.
• Radiant - All creatures in a 15ft cone must make a Dexterity save or take 1d8 radiant damage.
• Thunder - All creatures in a 15ft cone must make a Constitution save or take 1d8 thunder damage.

At 5th level, the spell's range increases to 30ft (for a cone) or 60ft (for a line), and its damage increases to 2d8. At 11th, the range increases to a 60ft cone or 120ft line, and its damage increases to 3d8, and at 17th its damage increases to 4d8.

Dragontouched: At 1st level, your skin becomes thick and scaly, granting you a base AC of 10 + your proficiency bonus + Dex when you are unarmored.

In addition, you learn to read and speak Draconic, if you did not already, and have Advantage on Charisma checks to interact with dragons and Intelligence checks to recall information about them.

Roaring Breath: At 6th level, you gain the ability to drastically increase the power of your breath weapon, at the cost of temporarily burning it out. When casting Draconic Breath, you may choose to double the number of damage dice the cantrip deals. However, after doing so, you cannot use it again for a short time. At the start of each turn, roll 1d6. If you roll a 5 or a 6, you may resume using the cantrip as normal.

Unrelenting Breath: At 10th level your Draconic Breath cantrip becomes harder to resist, creatures that save against it take half damage. Those that fail also suffer a secondary effect:
• Acid - the creature takes 1d4 acid damage at the end of its next turn at 15th this damage increases to 2d4.
• Fire - the creature is set in fire and takes 1d4 at the end of it's round until it takes a bonus action to douse the flames.
• Frost - the creature has its speed reduced to 0 until the end of its next turn.
• Force - the creature falls prone.
• Lightning - the creature cannot use reactions until the end of its next round.
• Necrotic - you gain temporary hit points equal to the damage die, up to your level.
• Poison - the creature is poisoned until the end of its next round.
• Radiant - the creature is blinded until the end of its next round.
• Thunder - the creature is deafened until the end of its next round.

Draconic Apotheosis: At 14th level, you sprout a pair of leathery wings, allowing you to fly at a speed of 40ft per round.

You also gain one of the following breath effects, usable once per long rest.

• Good - Disincorporating Breath of Bahamut: You breathe a silver iridescent line of force 120ft long, any creatures caught in the line must make a dex save to take half damage if it fails it takes twice your draconic breath dice + 20 force damage. If a creature is reduced to 0 hp it is reduced to a fine silver dust, as per the disintegrate spell.

• Lawful - Commanding Dictum of Law: You breathe forth a commanding word of law, all creatures within a 30 foot radius must make a Cha save to take your draconic breath damage in psychic damage, if they fail they take no damage and for the next minute you can use a bonus action to issue a command to all affected creatures, if a creature does not comply it takes your draconic breath damage in psychic damage

• Neutral - Concordant Exhalation of Asgorath: You exhale a gem charged with radiant energy within a range of 120ft, the gem detonates in a 30 foot radius sphere any creature caught in the area must pass a dex save to take half damage or fail and take twice your draconic breath cantrips dice in radiant damage. A creature that fails is also stunned for 1d4 rounds. A stunned creature may make will save at the end of each of its rounds to recover.

• Evil - Five-fold Breath of Tiamat: You breathe five breath effects at the same time: Acid, Fire, Frost, Lightning, and Poison any creature caught in the area must make a dex save to take half damage, or take your draconic breath dice for each effect.

• Chaos - Thundering Clamor of Chaos: You breathe a thundering word, all creatures within a 30-foot radius of you must make a will save to take half damage, or fail and take twice your draconic breath damage dice of thunder damage. Creatures that fail the save are also confused for 1d4 rounds.

Entangling Breath
Your Draconic Breath cantrip causes half damage but enemies that fail their saves are restrained for 1d4 rounds, they take 1d8 of damage at the start of each round they are restrained. A restrained creature may break free early if it uses an action and succeeds on a strength save.

Weakening Breath
You gain a new option for your Draconic Breath cantrip-- Fatigue. All creatures in a 60ft line must make a Constitution save or gain one level of Exhaustion. Levels of exhaustion imposed by this ability fade after one hour, and cannot cause more than three levels of exhaustion. At 11th level, the range increases to a 120ft line.

Voracious Dispelling
Prerequisite: 9th level, The Dragon patron
Once per long rest you gain a new option for your draconic breath, you can attempt to dispel all spells in a 30ft cone. Make a check for each spell in range using your spellcasting ability. The DC equals 10 + the spell's level. On a successful check, the spell ends. You then regain one hitpoint per spell dispelled

At 11th level, this range increases to a 60ft cone.

Baleful Geas
Once per long rest you can expend a spell slot to cast the geas spell, with a casting time of 1 round.

Grod_The_Giant
2018-07-30, 08:28 AM
Thanks Grod,

So here goes:
[QUOTE]Draconic Breath: At 1st level, you learn the Draconic Breath cantrip (below), with one breath effect. However, you may not learn the Eldritch Blast cantrip under any circumstances.

Every even level of the warlock class you lean one additional breath effect to use with your Draconic Breath cantrip.

Hmm. Not sure how I feel about this modification. Not only are some of the damage types much more potent than others (force vs poison? radiant vs fire?), the fact that you get twenty picks from a list of nine options means that you'll quickly run out.

Unrelenting Breath: At 10th level your Draconic Breath cantrip becomes harder to resist, creatures that save against it take half damage. Those that fail also suffer a secondary effect:
• Acid - the creature takes 1d4 acid damage at the end of its next turn at 15th this damage increases to 2d4.
• Fire - the creature is set in fire and takes 1d4 at the end of it's round until it takes a bonus action to douse the flames.
• Frost - the creature has its speed reduced to 0 until the end of its next turn.
• Force - the creature falls prone.
• Lightning - the creature cannot use reactions until the end of its next round.
• Necrotic - you gain temporary hit points equal to the damage die, up to your level.
• Poison - the creature is poisoned until the end of its next round.
• Radiant - the creature is blinded until the end of its next round.
• Thunder - the creature is deafened until the end of its next round.

This is a neat mechanic. 10th level might not be the right place for it (based on the published stuff, there should be a defensive ability), but it could make a good invocation.

Draconic Apotheosis: At 14th level, you sprout a pair of leathery wings, allowing you to fly at a speed of 40ft per round.

You also gain one of the following breath effects, usable once per long rest.

• Good - Disincorporating Breath of Bahamut: You breathe a silver iridescent line of force 120ft long, any creatures caught in the line must make a dex save to take half damage if it fails it takes twice your draconic breath dice + 20 force damage. If a creature is reduced to 0 hp it is reduced to a fine silver dust, as per the disintegrate spell.

• Lawful - Commanding Dictum of Law: You breathe forth a commanding word of law, all creatures within a 30 foot radius must make a Cha save to take your draconic breath damage in psychic damage, if they fail they take no damage and for the next minute you can use a bonus action to issue a command to all affected creatures, if a creature does not comply it takes your draconic breath damage in psychic damage

• Neutral - Concordant Exhalation of Asgorath: You exhale a gem charged with radiant energy within a range of 120ft, the gem detonates in a 30 foot radius sphere any creature caught in the area must pass a dex save to take half damage or fail and take twice your draconic breath cantrips dice in radiant damage. A creature that fails is also stunned for 1d4 rounds. A stunned creature may make will save at the end of each of its rounds to recover.

• Evil - Five-fold Breath of Tiamat: You breathe five breath effects at the same time: Acid, Fire, Frost, Lightning, and Poison any creature caught in the area must make a dex save to take half damage, or take your draconic breath dice for each effect.

• Chaos - Thundering Clamor of Chaos: You breathe a thundering word, all creatures within a 30-foot radius of you must make a will save to take half damage, or fail and take twice your draconic breath damage dice of thunder damage. Creatures that fail the save are also confused for 1d4 rounds.

These are pretty cool.

Entangling Breath
Your Draconic Breath cantrip causes half damage but enemies that fail their saves are restrained for 1d4 rounds, they take 1d8 of damage at the start of each round they are restrained. A restrained creature may break free early if it uses an action and succeeds on a strength save.
While this is definitely closer to the 3.5 version, 5e's Restrained is a heck of a lot nastier than 3.5's Entangled. This is a really strong ability. Probably too strong.

Weakening Breath
You gain a new option for your Draconic Breath cantrip-- Fatigue. All creatures in a 60ft line must make a Constitution save or gain one level of Exhaustion. Levels of exhaustion imposed by this ability fade after one hour, and cannot cause more than three levels of exhaustion. At 11th level, the range increases to a 120ft line.
You've put a very odd cap on this one-- two levels of damage, max three, means you can hit someone with it one and a half times... the usefulness of this one seems to be pretty up for debate. Maybe I should move it away from the Exhaustion mechanic altogether...

Voracious Dispelling
Once per long rest you gain a new option for your draconic breath, you can attempt to dispel all spells in a 30ft cone. Make a check for each spell in range using your spellcasting ability. The DC equals 10 + the spell's level. On a successful check, the spell ends. You then regain one hitpoint per spell dispelled

At 11th level, this range increases to a 60ft cone.
I can dig.

Baleful Geas
Once per long rest you can expend a spell slot to cast the geas spell, with a casting time of 1 round.
Looks neat.

Grod_The_Giant
2018-07-31, 11:17 AM
Updated with a bunch of invocations, some based on Quintus Vorenus' suggestions: Draconic Blade, Eldritch Breath, Humanoid Shape, Voracious Dispelling, Baleful Geas, Unrelenting Breath, Discorporating Breath of Bahamut, and Fivefold Breath of Tiamat.

Quintus Vorenus
2018-08-02, 02:27 PM
Greetings Grod,

Really digged the update, the subclass is really gaining substance and flavor as well.
There are some points I would still tune a bit:

The expanded spell list has many spells that are already on the standard Warlock Spell list:
1- charm person
3 - fear, fly

Also late game as the enemy's get better saves they will make many saves and receive no damage from the cantrip. Currently it's save for no damage right?

I totally get what you mean about 10th level being an defensive trait, however as its written if the player is fighting a elemental creature or dragonthe player will find himself avoiding the use of his cantrip. Whas this intended by design?

Cheers!

Grod_The_Giant
2018-08-02, 02:59 PM
The expanded spell list has many spells that are already on the standard Warlock Spell list:
1- charm person
3 - fear, fly
Hmm... maybe Command for 1st, but I'm having trouble with alternate 3rds. Elemental Weapon, maybe?

Also late game as the enemy's get better saves they will make many saves and receive no damage from the cantrip. Currently it's save for no damage right?
True... but the basic cantrip covers two different saves (Dex and Con) that aren't strongly associated, you can pick up a Wis save via invocation, and... well, you do have all the normal Warlock cantrips and spell slots. Or a sword; they're positioned pretty well to be bladelocks (Non-Dex-dependent AC, Roaring Breath's recharge, Draconic Blade invocation, advantage vs Entangled foes, etc). Given that your effectiveness against anyone who's not proficient in those saves also skyrockets with level, I wouldn't worry too much.

I totally get what you mean about 10th level being an defensive trait, however as its written if the player is fighting a elemental creature or dragonthe player will find himself avoiding the use of his cantrip. Whas this intended by design?
That's true...hmm.

Quintus Vorenus
2018-08-02, 03:46 PM
Humm, level 3 is really though most dragon themed spells are warlock spells.. Elemental weapon is a good spell. Maybe thunderous step?

10th level, maybe you can just allow them to chose if they want to change their resistance.

Crisis21
2018-08-02, 06:23 PM
I have two suggestions:

For the AC feature, make it 13+DEX modifier, like the dragon sorcerer/Dragonborn feature.

For the Dragon Breath cantrip, two suggestions:
1) Add Poison damage as an option. Because poison-breath dragons are a thing.
2) Have them choose a permanent damage type for the cantrip when they gain their dragon patron, where the damage type matches that of of their patron dragon's Breath weapon.

Edit: Good lord is Draconic Knowledge overpowered. Proficiency in five skills?! With free upgrade to Expertise if you already have them?!
Maybe instead give them something like advantage on any Intelligence or Wisdom ability check a number of times equal to their INT modifier (minimum 1) per short or long rest.

Edit 2: suggestion 3 for Dragon Breath cantrip. Instead of having the range automatically increase with damage, make increasing the range an invocation. One available at 5th that doubles the range and a second available at 11th that quadruples it (because warlocks can switch out invocations when they level).

Grod_The_Giant
2018-08-02, 07:16 PM
Humm, level 3 is really though most dragon themed spells are warlock spells.. Elemental weapon is a good spell. Maybe thunderous step?

10th level, maybe you can just allow them to chose if they want to change their resistance.
Not terribly draconic, though. My concern about changing their resistance is that it just becomes the Fiend feature,

I have two suggestions:

For the AC feature, make it 13+DEX modifier, like the dragon sorcerer/Dragonborn feature.
I considered it, but decided against it for a few reasons. I was looking to differentiate from the Dragon Sorcerer a bit more, I wanted to throw a bone to Strength-based 'locks, and... Dragons aren't agile. They're tanky.

For the Dragon Breath cantrip, two suggestions:
1) Add Poison damage as an option. Because poison-breath dragons are a thing.
There's an invocation for that.

2) Have them choose a permanent damage type for the cantrip when they gain their dragon patron, where the damage type matches that of of their patron dragon's Breath weapon.
Two issues there. Firstly, it results in their main schtick being useless anytime they run into someone with resistance/immunity to that damage type, meaning that some (acid, say) become way better than others (fire or, god forbid, poison). Secondly... Warlocks already get some flack for being boring, given that most of their actions boil down to "Eldritch Blast." And at least then you're rolling dice-- an AoE doesn't even get that. Having more options is more fun. It means you get to make more of a choice each round-- line or cone? Con or Dex save?

Edit: Good lord is Draconic Knowledge overpowered. Proficiency in five skills?! With free upgrade to Expertise if you already have them?!
Maybe instead give them something like advantage on any Intelligence or Wisdom ability check a number of times equal to their INT modifier (minimum 1) per short or long rest.
Fair. How 'bout half proficiency?

Edit 2: suggestion 3 for Dragon Breath cantrip. Instead of having the range automatically increase with damage, make increasing the range an invocation. One available at 5th that doubles the range and a second available at 11th that quadruples it (because warlocks can switch out invocations when they level).
No thank you. It's a core class feature; I'm not going to make you waste limited build resources keeping it up to snuff-- Masterful Breath is only there because normal 'locks have to pay the Agonizing Blast tax.

Crisis21
2018-08-02, 11:40 PM
I considered it, but decided against it for a few reasons. I was looking to differentiate from the Dragon Sorcerer a bit more, I wanted to throw a bone to Strength-based 'locks, and... Dragons aren't agile. They're tanky.

Well, looking back at the Dragonborn it seems only the Dragon Sorcerer archetype has the 13+DEX (it also gets +1 hp per level, which yours doesn't) unarmored feature, so I guess it's fine.

There's an invocation for that.

I fail to see why the Invocation is necessary. All other dragon-type breath weapon imitations include Poison as a base damage type option, so why doesn't yours?

Two issues there. Firstly, it results in their main schtick being useless anytime they run into someone with resistance/immunity to that damage type, meaning that some (acid, say) become way better than others (fire or, god forbid, poison). Secondly... Warlocks already get some flack for being boring, given that most of their actions boil down to "Eldritch Blast." And at least then you're rolling dice-- an AoE doesn't even get that. Having more options is more fun. It means you get to make more of a choice each round-- line or cone? Con or Dex save?

Funny. All other cantrips somehow manage to get by on a single damage type. If you want to deal a different type of damage, then learn different attack cantrips like every other caster in the game.

As for the 'not rolling dice to attack' thing, that usually means guaranteed damage (even if its halved due to a saving throw), so I don't see the complaint here.

If you can show me one single cantrip in the core rules that allows this kind of choice, then I'll withdraw the complaint, but until then I consider this ability *very* overpowered.

Fair. How 'bout half proficiency?

Half proficiency in INT and WIS skills if not already proficient sounds good. There's multiple precedents for that.

No thank you. It's a core class feature; I'm not going to make you waste limited build resources keeping it up to snuff-- Masterful Breath is only there because normal 'locks have to pay the Agonizing Blast tax.

They also have to pay the tax for increased range on their main cantrip too. Yes, I know Draconic Breath has nowhere near the range of Eldritch Blast, but EB doesn't do AoE either. You're trading range for the ability to hit multiple targets at once, so I see no reason why you should be getting that AoE range increased for free.

The base range of the cantrip is about the same as the 2nd-level Dragon Breath spell, and that doesn't get more range when you upcast it, so really this shouldn't either.

Keep in mind that no other existing damage-dealing cantrip gives the caster anything more than increased damage as they level, so this one shouldn't either.

As for 'keeping it up to snuff', I'll remind you that all other damage-dealing cantrips in the core material are also single-target (except EB which can multi-target, but it's a special case). The very fact that this is AoE already puts it above and beyond normal cantrips even with reduced range. Not to mention that you get to pick and choose between four different damage types before Invocations? You're not trying to keep up with other cantrips, you're trying to completely outstrip them. Even EB at its worst isn't half as overpowered as you're trying to make this.

Grod_The_Giant
2018-08-03, 10:41 AM
I fail to see why the Invocation is necessary. All other dragon-type breath weapon imitations include Poison as a base damage type option, so why doesn't yours?
Fair enough. I'll add it back in.

If you can show me one single cantrip in the core rules that allows this kind of choice, then I'll withdraw the complaint, but until then I consider this ability *very* overpowered.
The thing is... it's not really a traditional cantrip. The only reason it's presented that way at all is to fit 5e's general design. Don't compare it to other cantrips-- given that it's not on a class list, the only way to get it is to take Dragon Warlock levels. Look at it as a class feature in and of itself (one that also blocks you from the Warlock's other unfairly good at-will attack option) and evaluate it in those terms.

Half proficiency in INT and WIS skills if not already proficient sounds good. There's multiple precedents for that.
Cool, will swap. Might also cut out the "avoid allies" part of Masterful Breath, too-- the original DFA had an ability like that, but it removes a lot of strategy. Between lines and cones you should be flexible enough.

Crisis21
2018-08-03, 01:09 PM
The thing is... it's not really a traditional cantrip. The only reason it's presented that way at all is to fit 5e's general design. Don't compare it to other cantrips-- given that it's not on a class list, the only way to get it is to take Dragon Warlock levels. Look at it as a class feature in and of itself (one that also blocks you from the Warlock's other unfairly good at-will attack option) and evaluate it in those terms.

I am. Force damage is what makes EB so good, more-so than the d10 damage or the 150 foot range. This is because almost nothing in the game resists Force damage and fewer things are immune to it. But by the same token, similarly few creatures are vulnerable to Force damage. So you get almost a guarantee of your target not resisting the damage at the cost of the target being almost guaranteed to not be vulnerable to it.
It's multi-hit is also decent in that it gives you more chances to do *some* damage while decreasing your chances to do full damage.

The thing about your unique cantrip is that it is both AoE - which no other cantrip in the game is, already making it more potent than standard cantrips - and allows the selection of multiple damage types - also something no other cantrip in the game does.
I consider the first trait alone enough of a trade-off. You give up Force damage and long range for a more resistable damage type and shorter range, but you also gain the ability to hit multiple creatures at once with just a cantrip. Just the power to AoE alone makes this cantrip just as good as EB if not better.

It's the multiple damage types that make this too broken for game balance. You're not just giving them the power to get around damage resistances, you're giving them the ability to hit multiple vulnerabilities as well. With five energy types to choose from, this subclass will steamroller roughly half the creatures that have a damage vulnerability in the game. I'm sorry, but that kind of power in a single unmodified cantrip - subclass exclusive or not - is way too broken.

My suggestion is this: Give each person who takes this subclass one damage type for free (chosen from the typical dragon breath lineup) in their exclusive cantrip. If they want more damage options, they have to spend Invocations on them. Say one Invocation per extra damage type. Yes, I know this will eat up a bunch of Invocation slots if they want the full range of damage types, but consider that even a selection of two different damage types will usually be enough to get around any creature's resistance/immunity. I'd be willing to burn an Invocation on that (I'd also be willing to burn an Invocation to increase the AoE range too, but that's a different argument).

In short, don't hand out extra powers to your dragon-locks for free. Make them buy the bonus powers with Invocations like every other warlock in existence. If they want to spend them all on super dragon breath powers, that's fine. If they want to stick with the base dragon breath and branch out with their Invocations, that should be fine too.

Quintus Vorenus
2018-08-03, 02:48 PM

I could not agree more with you Grod! This cantrip is a class feature. And it´s the feature that defines this a dragonfire adept homebrew. Bessides the whole point of homebrewing is giving form to something thats not already there in the system. However I would like to point that if you play with feats one can learn this cantrip without taking the class, and I can understand that Cris21 thinks that multi-damage is stronger than other cantrips.

The way I would implement it is by making breath effects a class feature like I first propoused but taking in the concerns you raised about the distribution of breath effects per levels, maybe putting the range increase in there as well.

Somethinhg like this:
Draconic Breath: At 1st level, you learn the Draconic Breath cantrip (below), with one breath effect. You may select an extra breath effect at every third warlock level but you must obey the level requirements. At 5th and 11th level your draconic breath cantrip range doubles. However, you may not learn the Eldritch Blast cantrip under any circumstances.

Draconic Breath
Evocation Cantrip

You exhale a cloud of elemental energies. Upon casting this spell, choose one of your breath effects:

• Acid—All creatures in a 30ft line must make a Constitution save or take 1d8 acid damage.
• Fire—All creatures in a 15ft cone must make a Dexterity save or take 1d8 fire damage.
• Frost— All creatures in a 15ft cone must make a Constitution save or take 1d8 cold damage.
• Lightning - All creatures in a 30ft line must make a Dexterity save or take 1d8 lightning damage.
• Poison - All creatures in a 15ft cone must make a Constitution save or take 1d8 poison damage.
12th
• Radiant - All creatures in a 15ft cone must make a Dexterity save or take 1d8 radiant damage.
• Thunder - All creatures in a 15ft cone must make a Constitution save or take 1d8 thunder damage.
18th
• Necrotic - All creatures in a 15ft cone must make a Constitution save or take 1d8 cold damage.
• Force - All creatures in a 30ft line must make a Dexterity save or take 1d8 force damage.

At 5th level, the spell's damage increases to 2d8. At 11th leve its damage increases to 3d8, and at 17th its damage increases to 4d8.

Cool, will swap. Might also cut out the "avoid allies" part of Masterful Breath, too-- the original DFA had an ability like that, but it removes a lot of strategy. Between lines and cones you should be flexible enough.

You could move the damage bonus to Unrelenting Breath

True... but the basic cantrip covers two different saves (Dex and Con) that aren't strongly associated, you can pick up a Wis save via invocation, and... well, you do have all the normal Warlock cantrips and spell slots. Or a sword; they're positioned pretty well to be bladelocks (Non-Dex-dependent AC, Roaring Breath's recharge, Draconic Blade invocation, advantage vs Entangled foes, etc). Given that your effectiveness against anyone who's not proficient in those saves also skyrockets with level, I wouldn't worry too much..

I think you managed to get your intent through, however, I would still try to sneak in half damage on the save, for non-bladelocks somewhere. Also, no one is going to use this against anyone with legendary resistance.

And I can also see this taking the value away from eldritch breath. Why spend a spell slot on an all or nothing spell, instead of a fireball (I am fully aware this guy does not have a fireball, I'm just trying to express the idea)

About the radious on poison I get the tactical value, however I would still stick to a cone.

Cheers!

Grod_The_Giant
2018-08-03, 03:07 PM
Hmmm... what if I was to make the base cantrip 1d10 fire damage with no other effects, combine all the breath-effect-adding invocations into one, and slap on the Unrelenting Breath bonus effects to make it a bit more attractive, like so?

Breath Effect
Pick one of the breath effects described below. When casting Draconic Breath, you may replace its normal effect with this new one.

Acid: 1d8 acid damage, and half damage the next round
Frost: 1d8 cold damage, and the target cannot move or take reactions for 1 round
Slow Breath: All creatures in a cone must make Wisdom saves or be slowed. You must be at least 5th level to choose this option.
Etc

Special: You may choose this invocation multiple times, choosing a new breath effect each time.

However I would like to point that if you play with feats one can learn this cantrip without taking the class, and I can understand that Cris21 thinks that multi-damage is stronger than other cantrips.
You actually can't-- Magic Initiate, Magical Secrets, and Pact of the Tome all specify that the cantrip has to come from a class list, and Draconic Breath isn't on the Warlock list. It's its own unique thing.

I think you managed to get your intent through, however, I would still try to sneak in half damage on the save, for non-bladelocks somewhere. Also, no one is going to use this against anyone with legendary resistance.
Hey, if they blow a legendary resistance use on a weak-ish cantrip, all the better.

And I can also see this taking the value away from eldritch breath. Why spend a spell slot on an all or nothing spell, instead of a fireball (I am fully aware this guy does not have a fireball, I'm just trying to express the idea)
A "save for half" thing in there isn't a terrible idea.

About the radious on poison I get the tactical value, however I would still stick to a cone.
Ehh... probably neater, I guess. I did really like the symmetery of Cone Dex/Line Dex/Con Con/Line Con and poison kinda spoils that, but eh.

Quintus Vorenus
2018-08-03, 03:42 PM
Hmmm... what if I was to make the base cantrip 1d10 fire damage with no other effects, combine all the breath-effect-adding invocations into one, and slap on the Unrelenting Breath bonus effects to make it a bit more attractive, like so?

I think it´s already so Sexy!
So I would say don´t, that would be a retrocession.
I was only throwing homage to the 3.5 DFA progress.
Im not really against keeping the chromatics breaths as a single cantrip, and also i would not fuse the unrelenting breath, it works well as an invocation.

You actually can't-- Magic Initiate, Magical Secrets, and Pact of the Tome all specify that the cantrip has to come from a class list, and Draconic Breath isn't on the Warlock list. It's its own unique thing.

Hey, if they blow a legendary resistance use on a weak-ish cantrip, all the better.

Ok , I recant!
;)

A "save for half" thing in there isn't a terrible idea.

Let´s give it some time and thought.

Ehh... probably neater, I guess. I did really like the symmetery of Cone Dex/Line Dex/Con Con/Line Con and poison kinda spoils that, but eh.

I don´t think that's really a balance issue.
Still you could always take that symmetry issue up with a Green, or Dark Mistress Tiamat herself!

Kkk!
:P

Wildarm
2019-01-03, 09:36 AM
Interesting homebrew. I like it though a few things seem unbalanced:

Slow Breath seems straight up broken. At will 30' Cone Slow breath weapon that lasts for 1d4 rounds and doesn't require concentration? Slow is a very strong debuff. Did you intend to have it use of a warlock slot similar to Sleep Breath? Would be fine then.

Roaring Breath's recharge rate seems unbalanced as well. Compare it to Action surge which has a similar effect(effectively doubling damage output). That would be even stronger than it currently is if it recharged 33% of the time each round. I'd have the breath weapon return after the next short rest if you use Roaring Breath. Would make the ability a good crescendo move in battle and less a spam it as often as possible and hope it recharges effect.

Having access to 5 damage types seems overpowered for a cantrip as well. Even a class defining one. I'd have the player be able to attune to a breath type each long rest. Make a Tiamat themed invocation available at 9th level that lets them switch breath types as a bonus action.

Other flavorful things that might be good to add as invocations not related to your breath weapon.

Draconic Senses:
- You gain Blindsense 5'
- You gain proficiency in perception

Nose for Treasure:
- You may expend a warlock spell slot to detect any precious metals, gems or magical items within 30'. You do not require line of sight to use this ability. The range of this increases to 60' at 11th level

Draconic Resistance:
- Legendary Resistance 1/LR

Dragonic Ally:
5th Level, Pact of Chain
- You may choose a red, orange, or yellow faerie dragon as a familiar
- At 9th level you may choose a green, blue, indigo, or violet faerie dragon as a familiar
- At 14th level you may choose an wyrmling dragon as a familiar(Don't think this would be broken)

Grod_The_Giant
2019-01-03, 12:23 PM
Interesting homebrew. I like it though a few things seem unbalanced:

Slow Breath seems straight up broken. At will 30' Cone Slow breath weapon that lasts for 1d4 rounds and doesn't require concentration? Slow is a very strong debuff. Did you intend to have it use of a warlock slot similar to Sleep Breath? Would be fine then.
...yes.

Roaring Breath's recharge rate seems unbalanced as well. Compare it to Action surge which has a similar effect(effectively doubling damage output). That would be even stronger than it currently is if it recharged 33% of the time each round. I'd have the breath weapon return after the next short rest if you use Roaring Breath. Would make the ability a good crescendo move in battle and less a spam it as often as possible and hope it recharges effect.
It's closer to Quicken Spell, I think-- you're roughly double-casting a cantrip (with an all-or-nothing effect, rather than two saves). Action Surge lets you do much more dangerous things. It's not pure spam-fodder either, as it shuts off your workhorse offensive feature for an unknown number of rounds.

Having access to 5 damage types seems overpowered for a cantrip as well. Even a class defining one. I'd have the player be able to attune to a breath type each long rest. Make a Tiamat themed invocation available at 9th level that lets them switch breath types as a bonus action.
It's only technically a cantrip; practically speaking it's a unique class feature. It's been fine in actual play.

The Cats
2019-01-03, 01:15 PM
I have a player who's been asking if they could play as the Half Dragon veteran in the monster manual for an upcoming (months away) one-shot. I'ma show him this instead.

Wildarm
2019-01-03, 04:50 PM
It's closer to Quicken Spell, I think-- you're roughly double-casting a cantrip (with an all-or-nothing effect, rather than two saves). Action Surge lets you do much more dangerous things. It's not pure spam-fodder either, as it shuts off your workhorse offensive feature for an unknown number of rounds.

True. Action Surge is stronger in some cases so lets compare it to Quicken which will cost you resources and uses a bonus action to get your cantrip doubling. Still flat out better IMO. It's pretty easy to keep your damage up with Booming Blade while your breath is on cooldown. Mechanically this ends up being a 33% DPS boost. I think that's out of whack with what is typical for a 6th level warlock ability which typically gives a utility SR/LR feature.

Grod_The_Giant
2019-01-04, 02:47 PM
True. Action Surge is stronger in some cases so lets compare it to Quicken which will cost you resources and uses a bonus action to get your cantrip doubling. Still flat out better IMO. It's pretty easy to keep your damage up with Booming Blade while your breath is on cooldown. Mechanically this ends up being a 33% DPS boost. I think that's out of whack with what is typical for a 6th level warlock ability which typically gives a utility SR/LR feature.
The DMG suggests combats will last around 3 rounds (which tracks fairly well with my experience), and the game in general expects you'll have around 6 encounters a day. A 6th level Sorcerer has a minimum of 6 Sorcery Points, meaning he can afford to Quicken one cantrip/expected encounter. A Dragon Warlock can using Roaring Breath once/encounter as well. Seems fair enough to me.