PDA

View Full Version : Costume ideas!

Sajiri
2018-07-19, 05:34 PM
In a little under two weeks, the high school I work at will be having it's annual sports carnival, and it's tradition for people (especially staff) to dress up in costume for it. This year's theme is 'heroes and villains', so I am looking for ideas on who I could try to dress up as.

Requirements: Needs to be a hero or villain obviously.
Needs to have an orange colour scheme as that's the colour of the school house I'm in. Other colours I assume are okay along with it, so long as it's not predominantly yellow, red, blue or...green(?) as those are the colours of the opposing school houses.
The only exception to the colour rule is if it has a scorpion theme to it, as that is the animal that represents the house I'm in.
I hope I shouldn't have to say it, since high school, but obviously nothing inappropriate/revealing :smalltongue:

I've been to a few of the dress up events at this school, but I've yet to be there for one of the sports carnivals so even though I don't have to dress up, I'd certainly like to take part in it.

Honest Tiefling
2018-07-19, 05:38 PM
Why not a traffic cone, the true hero of the road? Or even Goku.

Kidding aside, how much of a budget do you have for this, and what sort of weather are you expecting? I live on the opposite hemisphere, so some idea of what you'll be comfortable in would help.

Sajiri
2018-07-19, 05:59 PM
Why not a traffic cone, the true hero of the road? Or even Goku.

Kidding aside, how much of a budget do you have for this, and what sort of weather are you expecting? I live on the opposite hemisphere, so some idea of what you'll be comfortable in would help.

I don't have a huge budget for it, I havent really thought about the cost. As for weather, it is winter here right now but it's decently warm and sunny during the day usually at the moment.

Scarlet Knight
2018-07-19, 07:12 PM
Shame you're not in the states; you could dress as a Philadelphia Flyer and be a villian.

Marvel does have a villian called the Scorpion.

Honest Tiefling
2018-07-19, 07:16 PM
If you don't have a great budget, start with what is orange and in your wardrobe first. Got anything interesting?

Sajiri
2018-07-20, 12:18 AM
If you don't have a great budget, start with what is orange and in your wardrobe first. Got anything interesting?

Orange, as it happens, is my most hated colour, so I own nothing orange. That was my initial thought, to see what I already own and go from there, buuuut that's a no go.

farothel
2018-07-20, 07:11 AM
Aquaman has a lot of Orange in his costume. At least in certain variations of the character.

ve4grm
2018-07-20, 09:55 AM
You could be the true hero of the high seas - an Orange! Or a carton of orange juice! Preventing scurvy with its citric acid powers, and enabling worldwide exploration!

Other than that, if you want superheroes...
- The Thing is orange, as is the Human torch when he's on fire
- Aquaman is part orange
- Goku and Naruto wear orange
- Batgirl has orange hair, as does Starfire
- For villains, there's Sabertooth
- If you want to make something up, you could be an Orange Lantern (EDIT: not actually making things up, these exist (http://greenlantern.wikia.com/wiki/Orange_Lantern_Corps))

Oh, here's a good one! Go as Kim Possible!
https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/disney/images/6/60/Kim_Possible_Navigation.png/revision/latest?cb=20121011211853
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a3/Kim_possible_09.jpg

Then all you need in orange is hair dye, plus a black shirt and khakis! (Or purple shirt and black pants, but that's less iconic.)

Some Android
2018-07-20, 03:41 PM
Why not dress up as the greatest hero of all time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xRv9ZQOCPo

Timer the Cheese Guy:smallwink:

Just out of curiosity did could anyone predict what I was going to post?

Nonsensical answers aside I do love the Venture Bros and I'd love to see someone dress up as one of those characters. Everyone that is associated with the Monarch wears yellow and orange. There's also this one background character called Plug Face. He's technically yellow, but you can do a close enough orange I feel.

edit: OH! I just remember Sideshow Bob! He's a convict so you could do an orange jump suit!

farothel
2018-07-21, 03:14 AM
edit: OH! I just remember Sideshow Bob! He's a convict so you could do an orange jump suit!

Any movie villain in a US prison would do then, as they all wore orange at one point (or at least most of them)

Some Android
2018-07-21, 05:26 AM
Any movie villain in a US prison would do then, as they all wore orange at one point (or at least most of them)

Yeah. Pretty much.

Scarlet Knight
2018-07-21, 07:15 AM
You could be the true hero of the high seas - an Orange! Or a carton of orange juice! Preventing scurvy with its citric acid powers, and enabling worldwide exploration!

Did you mean " true hero of the high Vitamin C's?"

Eldan
2018-07-23, 02:13 AM
Speaking of Orange Jumpsuits, Chell from Portal? Now, the Portal gun is difficult, I admit, but you don't really need that. Orange jumpsuit with an aperture logo on the back, done. The logo is quite simple, so you could probably do it with tape, or gluing paper on the back, if need be.

Sajiri
2018-07-23, 04:56 AM
I appreciate the ideas so far everyone :) In our staffroom today we were trying to all make a list of what we could dress up as. Wearing prison jumpsuits ended up being pretty well received as a default :smallbiggrin:

Chell's a good idea actually.

Lvl 2 Expert
2018-07-23, 05:27 AM
You could go with a group theme "orange is the new black", and go as heroes and villains usually dressed in black, but orange. Batman, Catwoman, the Penguin, Megamind, Zod, Black Canary, Black Widow, about half of all characters at one memorable point or another really. As long as everyone's in on it and two or three of the costumes are actually instantly recognizable you can get away with it. (Even just generic orange heroes and villains could work, but it can't be just an orange outfit, there must be something costumy to it, like a cape. Speaking of capes, you could just get an orange one and be done with it. If you have a cape you must be some sort of hero.)

No brains
2018-07-23, 12:29 PM
Starfire is orange! But you may run into a problem with the not revealing/ winter parameters.:smalltongue:

He doesn't have much to do with actual scorpions, but Scorpion from Mortal Kombat appeared in Injustice, so he's kinda-sorta a hero/ villain. I even think his 2P color is orange.

If you want to go super-budget, that orange jumpsuit could work with a shaved head: you're Lex Luthor in jail!

Captain Citrus is another option. Just saying.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHjbuabRzkE

darkrose50
2018-07-23, 02:46 PM
Lionel trains + Lionel Richie = Lionel Richie the Lionel train costume . . . hmm with horns?

Find a local mattress manufacturer and see if they will sell you a mess of those "it is a crime to remove this tag" tags . . . put them all in a clear jar and laugh maniacally.

Go as that idiot (joke, but it is annoying) who decided to write down all the words and created the first dictionary without any regard to consistent spelling.

Some Android
2018-07-23, 04:25 PM
I do believe I have seen some version of Wolverine's costume as orange instead of yellow. I personally prefer the yellow though. However if you're going my film portrayal you'd just need a leather jacket and a tanktop...neither of which are orange unfortunately.