PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Ultimate meat tank!

stormsouldevil
2018-07-24, 01:11 PM
Hey folks!

So I've picked my character concept, decided on my race (talked the DM into a minor boost maybe 2), and written my backstory-

Now I look at my party mates..... Tabaxi Ranger (archer), Pact of the Chain Warlock Human, Tiefling rogue.... Mystic Theruge Wizard...

I AM the front line, and could use some aid in building my character to be the tankiest tank I can manage. Of course primarily looking at my level 3 choice...

Dragonborn barbarian! Subrace: Blue
18 Str
16Con
14 Dex
8 Int
12 Wis
14 Cha (all after racials. DM approved rolls)

Any and all thoughts on making this as tank tastic as possible? Ancestral Guardian is on the table.

Unoriginal
2018-07-24, 01:23 PM
If you want the most HP possible, wouldn't Hill Dwarf be better?

If not, what exactly do you mean by "tank", since there are several things people use this term for? Handle being hit well? Be hard to hit? Attract enemy fire so your allies are safe?

GlenSmash!
2018-07-24, 01:25 PM
Hey folks!

So I've picked my character concept, decided on my race (talked the DM into a minor boost maybe 2), and written my backstory-

Now I look at my party mates..... Tabaxi Ranger (archer), Pact of the Chain Warlock Human, Tiefling rogue.... Mystic Theruge Wizard...

I AM the front line, and could use some aid in building my character to be the tankiest tank I can manage. Of course primarily looking at my level 3 choice...

Dragonborn barbarian! Subrace: Blue
18 Str
16Con
14 Dex
8 Int
12 Wis
14 Cha (all after racials. DM approved rolls)

Any and all thoughts on making this as tank tastic as possible? Ancestral Guardian is on the table.

Nice Rolls!

There are other Race choices that are a little tankier, but I think Dragonborn make fine Barbarians.

As far as barbarian Tanking goes, there are a lot of ways to do it. With high hitpoints and damage resistance, a high AC isn't that necessary so you can forgo a shield and be a two handed tank if you want, getting the most out of Reckless Attack by using GWM. Or using a free hand to grapple.

Using a shield certainly isn't bad though, and opens up Shield Master which your rogue would love if they are going melee.

Sentinel is always a nice feat for a tank. PAM is great if going the two handed Route.

for Path Ancestral Guardians has the best way of punishing foes that attack members of your party. This makes it my favorite Barbarian tank. Bear Totem is of course always a solid option.

Rerem115
2018-07-24, 01:26 PM
I've been in a similar situation before, but my choice was a little different. If personal survivability is your sole focus, going VHuman Totem Barbarian, picking up Shieldmaster and Bear Totem is a great place to start. Grab some decent medium armor, and you'll be rocking 18 AC, resistance to all damage, pseudo-Evasion, and some crowd control in order to ensure that foes don't just run right past you, all at level 3. Your damage will be *slightly* lower than a normal Totem Barbarian, but you make up for it with your high AC and being essentially unkillable. As a general guideline, try to draw aggro, and if you can't, lock one person down so that your party can deal with the rest.

On the other hand, you can do basically the same thing with Ancestral Guardian, trading out most of your damage resistances in exchange for increasing the resistances of your party.

It's really your call.

Naanomi
2018-07-24, 01:28 PM
Hilldwarf Ancestral Guardian with the Tough feat and maximized CON is a very beefy character at all levels of play

stormsouldevil
2018-07-24, 02:21 PM
Hey guys!

After putting ym Dm through thinking about how he can make the dragonborn a bit more of a viable choice (I get 2 cha skils) I dont want to waffle, and I really like his story. But thank you!

Lot of solid options, keep em coming if you like. :)

Galactkaktus
2018-07-24, 03:05 PM
I whould make a berzerker barbarian their bonus action attack is not contingent on you taking the attack action which is useful with breath weapons since it allows you to use the breath weapon and attack in the same round. And mindless rage makes you immune to both the charmed and freightened condition both which whould be really really bad for a frontliner. And you are also taking advantage of the extra resistance that dragoonborn gives.

GlenSmash!
2018-07-24, 03:11 PM
I whould make a berzerker barbarian their bonus action attack is not contingent on you taking the attack action which is useful with breath weapons since it allows you to use the breath weapon and attack in the same round. And mindless rage makes you immune to both the charmed and freightened condition both which whould be really really bad for a frontliner. And you are also taking advantage of the extra resistance that dragoonborn gives.

I always like that Berserker could Dodge and Attack in the same round. Dodging has been underutilized in my games.

Good point about Mindless rage, it's my favorite Berserker ability.

Galactkaktus
2018-07-24, 03:21 PM
I always like that Berserker could Dodge and Attack in the same round. Dodging has been underutilized in my games.

Good point about Mindless rage, it's my favorite Berserker ability.

Yeah it's so annoying when people say that PAM replaces frenzy when that is just not the case. PAM limits you in your weapon choices. You will be one ASI behind. You need to take the attack action to get the bonus action attack. The really nice thing about PAM is that it also makes it easier to use your reaction. And mindless rage is very good.

GlenSmash!
2018-07-24, 03:26 PM
Yeah it's so annoying when people say that PAM replaces frenzy when that is just not the case. PAM limits you in your weapon choices. You will be one ASI behind. You need to take the attack action to get the bonus action attack. The really nice thing about PAM is that it also makes it easier to use your reaction. And mindless rage is very good.

Reliable Reaction attacks are harder to get on Barbarian. That is part of the allure for me in PAM.

Berserker does get Retaliation at 14 which is great, but that's pretty late.

PAM just gives a lot for one feat.

stormsouldevil
2018-07-24, 04:19 PM
That is useful! :D

One of the boosts that my DM is considering is allowing me to take the breath attack as a bonus action though. But thats still once per short rest.

Also I've always been weary of the exhaustion thing. Its great for a single encounter but doubling up seems like a bad idea.

Am I being a worry wort, or is there some strategy to be aware of?

Galactkaktus
2018-07-24, 04:52 PM

One of the boosts that my DM is considering is allowing me to take the breath attack as a bonus action though. But thats still once per short rest.

Also I've always been weary of the exhaustion thing. Its great for a single encounter but doubling up seems like a bad idea.

Yes the strategy is don't overuse it :P once a day is fine twice if you really need it and if you really really need it use it a third time but then you are close to useless once the rage subsides.

GlenSmash!
2018-07-24, 04:55 PM

Frenzy becomes an ability you will typically use only 1 time in a standard adventuring day. Twice in a crap just hit the fan adventuring day.

I was playing a Berserker in the Lost mines of Phandelver when I realized this. When to Frenzy, and even when to Rage became my big tactical questions.

But sometimes it's obvious when you are fighting the BBEG.

Your DM seems like a reasonable person. You may try a couple of common Berserker "fixes" like removing all levels of exhaustion on a long rest, removing a single level on a short rest, ignoring levels of exhaustion while Raging, or even removing exhaustion form Frenzy all together (something Mike Mearls has hinted at if they were designing the Berserker today).

Still, if you don't like being punished by using Frenzy there are definitely other good Barbarian Paths.

stormsouldevil
2018-07-24, 06:17 PM
Do you have a link to that hint? And probably just remove all levels with a long rest IF I get any.

Belier
2018-07-25, 11:14 AM
Hard to beat a human variant dodging fighter with sentinel to stop incoming attacks and at level 4 polearm master. You wont get touched much and you will still attack. As a battlemaster you can also relocate your allies or make shenanigans with your aoo or as eldritch knight you get more utility through spells.

GlenSmash!
2018-07-25, 12:25 PM
Hard to beat a human variant dodging fighter with sentinel to stop incoming attacks and at level 4 polearm master. You wont get touched much and you will still attack. As a battlemaster you can also relocate your allies or make shenanigans with your aoo or as eldritch knight you get more utility through spells.

Won't Sentinel stop only one attack per round, unless using UA Tunnel Fighter?

Belier
2018-07-25, 01:08 PM
Won't Sentinel stop only one attack per round, unless using UA Tunnel Fighter?

Yes, but stopping one artack per round and allow on ally to relocate itself on a reaction is something that is really desirable as a team tank. And even so, you are at the front in dodge, you are inclined to take hits first.

GlenSmash!
2018-07-25, 03:33 PM
Yes, but stopping one artack per round and allow on ally to relocate itself on a reaction is something that is really desirable as a team tank. And even so, you are at the front in dodge, you are inclined to take hits first.

It works fine in bottlenecks, but on open ground there is not a lot of incentive to attack the tank over the other members of the party.

Unless you go Cavalier. Cavalier could do this very well.

Specter
2018-07-25, 11:16 PM
You want either Bear to resist more types of damage, or Ancestral Guardian to make enemies target you. Based on the party composition, I'd say the second one is slightly better.