PDA

View Full Version : The Prophet (Base Class)

MisterSaturnine
2007-09-11, 08:51 PM
This is a class concept based on a campaign I'm working on, but the fluff can easily be tweaked. In the world they're native to, the Gods abandoned the universe and there are now only three planes--the Material Plane, the Ethereal Plane, and the Arcane Web, all of which intersect with eachother. Though it is possible to go to others, they are uninhabited and burnt out. It is a quickly decaying universe, which has only about 20 years of juice left until the planes that still exist collapse under the pressure of eachother. Prophets would serve as the spellcasters of the campaign. They function as an odd combination of Sorcerer and Shadowcaster.

The Prophet
The Prophets are more than mere seers and soothsayers--they are an order. The Prophets do not believe the Gods have gone, they believe they live on in the Prophets themselves, and through them the will of the Gods is done. By studying the Arcane Web and manipulating its threads they are able to perform mystical miracles.They believe that the Gods guide their actions, and whatever they do with their mystical power they believe is the God's Will. Because of this, it is not unusual--in fact, it is common--for a Prophet to leave the church to exert his God's will, and perhaps more importantly his own, and adventure for one reason or another. Though some Prophets prefer to weigh the possibilities carefully before ending the life of someone who they believe the Gods have led them to destroy, others prefer to simply do as they feel is best--and let the Gods sort it out.

Alignment: Any, though Prophets strongly tend towards Law due to the amount of discipline required to harness the energies of the Web, the strict teachings of the order, and the mandates of the Gods.

Hit Die: d6.

Class Skills: The Prophet's class skills and the key ability governing the skill are as follows--

Appraise (Int), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Disable Device (Int), Knowledge (all)(Int), Spellcraft (Int), Use Magic Device (Cha)

Skill Points at 1st level: (4 + Int Modifier) x4

Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4 + Int Modifier

Table: The Prophet
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+0|
+0|
+0|
+2|Fundamentals of the Arcane, Initiate Mysteries

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+0|
+3|Bonus Feat

3rd|
+1|
+1|
+1|
+3|-

4th|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+4|Bonus Fundamental

5th|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+4|-

6th|
+3|
+2|
+2|
+5|Bonus Feat

7th|
+3|
+2|
+2|
+5|Adept Mysteries

8th|
+4|
+2|
+2|
+6|Bonus Fundamental

9th|
+4|
+3|
+3|
+6|-

10th|
+5|
+3|
+3|
+7|Bonus Feat

11th|
+5|
+3|
+3|
+7|-

12th|
+6/1|
+4|
+4|
+8|Bonus Fundamental

13th|
+6/1|
+4|
+4|
+8|Master Mysteries

14th|
+7/2|
+4|
+4|
+9|Bonus Feat

15th|
+7/2|
+5|
+5|
+9|-

16th|
+8/3|
+5|
+5|
+10|Bonus Fundamental

17th|
+8/3|
+5|
+5|
+10|-

18th|
+9/4|
+6|
+6|
+11|Bonus Feat

19th|
+9/4|
+6|
+6|
+11|-

20th|
+10/5|
+6|
+6|
+12|Bonus Fundamental[/table]

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the Prophet.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Prophets are proficient with light armor and all simple weapons. Though they are primarily scholars, most Prophets--especially adventuring ones--will go on pilgrimages to distant lands that have some historical and religious significance, and on these pilgrimages they must prepare for combat not involving their magical prowess, just in case.

Fundamentals of the Arcane: The Prophet starts with 3 Arcane Fundamentals at 1st level, each of which she may use up to three times per encounter. At 4th level and every 4 levels thereafter, the Prophet may select another Arcane Fundamental to learn. At 14th level, the Prophet Wizard may use the Fundamentals at will. The magic has become a part of her system.

Arcane Fundamentals:
-Prestidigitation
-Arcane Mark
-Touch of Fatigue
-Ghost Sound
-Detect Magic
-Dancing Lights
-Mage Hand (as Umbral Hand from Tome of Magic)
-Arrow of Dusk (as in Tome of Magic)
-Black Candle (as in Tome of Magic)
-Liquid Night (as in Tome of Magic)
-Widened Eyes (as in Tome of Magic)
-Mending

Arcane Mysteries: The Prophet knows a single mystery at first level, and learns a new mystery every level thereafter. Until 6th level, the Prophet knows only Initiate Mysteries. At 7th level, the Prophet is able to learn Adept Mysteries, and at 13th level is able to learn and use Master Mysteries. A Prophet may learn a mysteries whose spell level is equal to half of his Prophet level, rounded up. Initiate Mysteries are 1st to 3rd level, Adept Mysteries are 4th to 6th level, and Master Mysteries are 7th to 9th level. Once a Prophet is able to learn Adept mysteries, he may use an Initiate Mystery twice per encounter instead of once, and once he is able to learn Master Mysteries, he is able to use an Initiate Mystery thrice per encounter and an Adept Mystery twice per encounter. She may use a Master Mystery once per encounter. The DC of mysteries is based on Intelligence (her fundamentals are, as well), as is the maximum spell level.

Bonus Feats: At 2nd level and every four levels thereafter (6th, 10th, 14th, and 18th), the Prophet may select a single bonus feat. He can choose a metamagic feat, an item creation feat, or Spell Mastery. He must still meet all prerequisites for a bonus feat, including caster level minimums.

I'd love some feedback, as I'm not so sure how balanced it is. I definitely want it to be weaker than the standard Wizard or Sorcerer, without it becoming a Narcoleptic Spellcaster. :smallsmile:

MisterSaturnine
2007-09-11, 10:25 PM
I hate to do this, but...

Resistance is futile. All your bump are belong to us.

Finerty
2007-09-11, 11:00 PM
Fun. I really like the use of Tome of Shadow mechanics, they get so little play. Now, I can't offer much help in the way of balancing a spellcasting class, as I'm bloody terrible at power levels for magic-users (clerics are overpowered? They are? Really? Why?)
Certainly looks like fun, though. Nice roleplaying aspect, interesting, non-limiting in the casting.

MisterSaturnine
2007-09-11, 11:01 PM
Thanks anyhow. At the very least, I appreciate the interest itself. :smallbiggrin:

The non-limiting mechanics aren't really my own, though--it's been suggested several times to make Shadowcasters more usable. Mostly I did the fluff and put a few things together.

Kellus
2007-09-11, 11:28 PM
It's not bad, albeit kind of bland. There's not much that really stands out, but it is cool to see some combination of arcane and shadowcasting.

1st nitpick: Why 4+Int skill points? They're SAD on Int, and with even a moderate Int modifier they run out of class skills. I'd either expand their class skill list or drop it to 2+Int.

2nd nitpick: Combining cantrips and fundamentals is cool, but that seems about the extent of the arcane/shadowcasting twist. Maybe if they could add some arcane spells as mysteries that they know? Something like that would be cool and really differentiate the class from a standard shadowcaster.

3rd nitpick: I gotta say, as far as capstones go, a bonus fundamental isn't exactly awe-inspiring. What rewards a player for staying in the class to the end?

All in all, it's a neat class, but the only major change from a conventional shadowcaster is that mysteries are per encounter instead of per day. That's cool, but it's also not enough to really set the class apart from them.

Why should a character play this class over a shadowcaster, assuming that the shadowcaster is houseruled to per encounter and not per day?

Also, make sure to talk about what kind of ability a mystery is for this class. Does it still follow the spell/spell-like/supernatural scheme of the shadowcaster? Also at least mention stuff like paths: does the prophet need to follow them? Can they jump around?

Still, anything that expands ToM stuff is good in my books, so thumbs up! Good job!

MisterSaturnine
2007-09-11, 11:47 PM
I'll just drop it to 2 + Int Modifier. I thought I'd give them a little something extra to help keep them alive and stuff...but I think the d6 hit die and light armor proficiency is enough. Good point there.

There's a slight misunderstanding I should've cleared up--they cast like Shadowcasters, but don't cast from the Shadowcaster's list. They cast spells from the Sorcerer/Wizard spell list. They're just called mysteries 'cause, uh, well, I liked the name. :smallredface:

But yeah. You're right--I'm not sure ANYONE really wants a new cantrip at 20th level. Poor, unloved fundamentals. I can't think of anything, though--any suggestions?

Kellus
2007-09-11, 11:53 PM
Can they take mysteries (as the ToM) as mysteries as well, or only arcane spells?

Also, one abuse I forsee: you get to cast mysteries of up to 6th level as spell-like abilities and supernatural abilities. That means no XP or material components. Even 7-9th level spells could be taken with the Favored Mystery feat. That is waaaay too easy to abuse. One feat for Wish as a spell-like ability once an encounter?

MisterSaturnine
2007-09-11, 11:56 PM
Huh. I hadn't thought of that, actually. They can only take arcane spells, and not Shadowcaster mysteries, as it doesn't really fit the fluff that much. I put a few in as fundamentals, but too many shadowy things makes them Shadow Prophets.

But the Wish without material/xp components...that is an issue I should deal with. Maybe I could replace the stuff that would be too overpowered with some 9th level Shadowcaster mysteries?

Kellus
2007-09-12, 12:12 AM
Hm... Question: if they learn arcane spells only, then essentially they're a sorceror who learns one spell a level and has a strange progression of spells per day/encounter.

First, you need a table showing how many spells/encounter they can use at each level. Next, you need to address issues in the OP concerning exactly what spells they can select and how they cast them. If you want to maintain the shadow feel, I would suggest a concise list consisting of combinations of mysteries and shadow-themed spells, or whatever you fancy. Then by making a predetermined list that they can draw from, you can let their casting progress like shadowcasters without having to worry about possible cheese to get around XP costs and material components.

Just my thoughts. But I would suggest letting them access some mysteries.

Also, your fluff talks a lot about deities and religion, but there's no real divine feel to the class. Maybe you could do something like giving them the equivalent of the Arcane Disciple feat, and giving them a domain, some turning, or something else divine?

MisterSaturnine
2007-09-12, 07:43 PM
Well, keep in mind that the Prophets just think they're in contact with the deities. The Gods have actually abandoned the world. But yeah, all your points are right, basically. Thanks so much for help with this, it's been really valuable. I think I might give them domains, at least a general connection as to the specific God they venerate, or at least paths to go down like the Ranger. I also think I'll give them some Shadowcaster mysteries, or replace more arcane spells with Shadowcaster mysteries--it does need to feel quite a bit different from the Sorcerer. However, I don't want them to have a shadowy feel, or at least not a predominantly shadowy feel. I might tweak the fluff in that regard.

I think what I might do is give them the ability to, a certain amount of times per day, smite enemies with their spells. They would be able to smite people whose beliefs clashed with theirs.

I think I'll start working on the spell list. Thanks again for all the help!

MisterSaturnine
2007-09-12, 07:46 PM
Oh! I just realized you're responsible for the axis of funk! I didn't comment, but I really enjoyed that!

Oh, wow. I just threadjacked my own thread. :smalleek:

Lord_Gareth
2007-09-12, 08:27 PM
Sat? Are you Saturnine from Maelstrom, on WoW? Dude, if you are, this is -totally- Serdex.

MisterSaturnine
2007-09-12, 10:47 PM
No, sorry. Now I feel guilty though. I really want to know you, 'cause it's always cool to meet someone on the boards, but...nope.

And no headway on the spell list--I had a Rosh Hashanah party to go to. Probably sometime tomorrow.

MisterSaturnine
2007-09-12, 11:58 PM
Alright.

The Prophet's mysteries, first off, will count as divine spells (that can be affected by arcane metamagic, but not divine metamagic). Also, he will learn 2 mysteries a level instead of one. I'll probably try and fix the problem of something better to set him apart tomorrow. The spells on the list are taken from the Sor/Wiz list, the Cleric List, the Shadowcaster list, and one is taken from the Druid list.

I'll spoiler it 'cause otherwise it'll be big and annoying.

1st level mysteries
1. Alarm
2. Endure Elements
3. Protection from Infidels
4. Shield of Faith
5. Obscuring Mist
6. Unseen Servant
7. Comprehend Languages
8. Identify
9. True Strike
10. Magic Missile
11. Ray of Enfeeblement
12. Enlarge Person
13. Featherfall
14. Magic Weapon
15. Reduce Person
16. Carpet of Shadow
17. Voice of [Deity] (Voice of Shadow from ToM)

2nd level mysteries
1. Protection from Arrows
2. Resist Energy
3. Summon Swarm
4. Detect Thoughts
5. Locate Object
6. See Invisibility
7. Scorching Ray
8. Shatter
9. Blur
10. Mirror Image
11. Blindness/Deafness
12. Spectral Hand
13. Darkvision
14. Levitate
15. Spiderclimb
16. Whispering Wind
17. Sight Eclipsed
18. Black Fire
19. Shadow Skin
20. Flesh Fails

3rd level mysteries
1. Dispel Magic
2. Explosive Runes
3. Magic Circle against Infidels
4. Protection from Energy
5. Sleet Storm
6. Clairaudience/Clairvoyance
7. Tongues
8. Rage
9. Fireball
10. Lightning Bolt
11. Ray of Exhaustion
12. Fly
13. Keen Edge
14. Greater Magic Weapon
15. Hold Person
16. [Deity’s] Gaze (Killing Shadows from ToM)
17. Afraid of the Dark
18. Helping Hand
19. Bestow Curse
20. Water Walk
21. Prayer

4th level mysteries
1. Dimensional Anchor
2. Dimension Door
3. Arcane Eye
4. Locate Creature
5. Scrying
6. Lesser Geas
7. Holy Fire (Fire Shield)
8. Wall of Fire
9. Enervation
10. Fear
11. Warp Spell
12. Aura of Shade
13. Air Walk
14. Death Ward
15. Discern Lies
16. Dismissal
17. Divination
18. Divine Power
19. Tongues
20. Sending

5th level mysteries
1. Teleport
2. Prying Eyes
3. Telepathic Bond
4. Dominate Person
5. Feeblemind
6. Hold Monster
7. Mind Fog
8. [Deity’s] Interposing Hand
9. Wall of Force
10. Symbol of Pain
11. Overland Flight
12. Telekinesis
13. Transmute Rock to Mud/Mud to Rock
14. Echo Spell
15. Awaken (Still an XP cost)
16. Plane Shift
17. Control Winds
18. Control Water
19. Dispel Blasphemy (Dispel Good/Chaos/Law/Evil)
20. Insect Plague
21. Mark of Justice

6th level mysteries
1. Antimagic Field
2. Greater Dispel Magic
3. Guards and Wards
4. Legend Lore
5. Geas/Quest
6. Chain Lightning
7. Contingency
8. [Deity’s] Forceful Hand
9. Disintegrate
10. Flesh to Stone
11. Move Earth
12. Blade Barrier
13. Find the Path
14. Forbiddance
15. Harm
16. Heal
17. Word of Recall

7th level mysteries
1. Spell Turning
2. Phase Door
3. Greater Teleport
4. Teleport Object
5. Greater Arcane Sight
6. Greater Scrying
7. Vision
8. [Deity’s] Grasping Hand
9. Sword of [Deity] (Mage’s Sword)
10. Finger of Death
11. Waves of Exhaustion
12. Control Weather
13. [Deity’s] Will (Blasphemy/Dictum/Holy Word/Word of Chaos. Can only choose once, and for one opposing alignment)
14. Resurrection

8th level mysteries
1. Protection from Spells
2. Trap the Soul
3. Discern Location
4. Moment of Prescience
5. Greater Prying Eyes
6. Antipathy
7. Sympathy
8. [Deity’s] Clenched Fist
9. Cloak/Shield of Chaos/Evil/Good/Law
10. Iron Body