PDA

View Full Version : Can this work for the spell suggest

Throne12
2018-07-29, 02:15 PM
So I cast suggest on someone it sticks. And what I tell them to do is "you need to do the opposite of what ever anyone tells you to do." So it not hurting them and it not really unreasonable.

So now can I tell them that they shouldn't stab them self or they shouldn't jump off that cliff.

Darkstar952
2018-07-29, 02:26 PM
So I cast suggest on someone it sticks. And what I tell them to do is "you need to do the opposite of what ever anyone tells you to do." So it not hurting them and it not really unreasonable.

So now can I tell them that they shouldn't stab them self or they shouldn't jump off that cliff.

I certainly wouldn't allow it in my game. Just by RAW it may allow you to bypass the clauses in the spell, but it is certainly breaking it RAI.

tomandtish
2018-07-29, 02:28 PM
I'd say no.

First, is it even reasonable for someone to do the opposite of what anyone tells them in the first place? I'd argue that's a stretch.

But even if that flies, you've set up a conditional suggestion. IF your DM allows it, it's still only going to last until the unreasonableness does kick in. So it's still unreasonable for them to stab themselves, and it expires when you tell them not to.

Translation: The unreasonable factor still applies to the result of your statement, not the wording.

sophontteks
2018-07-29, 02:29 PM
The problem here is that the suggestion is met when they do the opposite of what someone tells them. They will not continue to do so. Its not something they will do continuously until the duration ends, but rather a single task that they will strive to achieve until they complete it or until it expires.

So, perfectly legal, but much weaker then you may he expecting.

Unoriginal
2018-07-29, 02:33 PM

If you tell them to do the opposite of what anone tell you, and then say "don't stab yourself", it's not reasonable and is hurting them, and they can clearly understand that.

Also, if you tell someone "you shouldn't stab yourself" or "you shouldn't jump off a cliff", they'd just say "ok". "Shouldn't" isn't "don't".