PDA

View Full Version : Spell Drops

Maelynn
2018-07-31, 03:01 PM
Guys, I'd like some feedback on this idea I had. What do you think?

----------------------------------------------------------------

Meet Jethro Havelock. He's an elderly human Wizard who enjoys a spot of tea, warm socks, and thinking up creative ways of using magic. One of his latest creations is a rather remarkable confection, granting non-magic users spell-like abilities for a brief period of time. All these spells are self-only (but of course you can always cram- ehr... offer someone else one).

Spell Drops

The bag contains hard boiled sweets in various colours and flavours. Each colour has a different effect. The duration is as long as you suck on the drop (1d4+1 minutes), meaning that swallowing the drop or spitting it out ends the effect immediately.

Yellow - honey

sucking on this sweet allows the user to act as if they've had Spider Climb cast on them.

Brown - resin

sucking on this sweet allows the user to act as if they've had Barkskin cast on them.

Violet - lavender

sucking on this sweet allows the user to act as if they've had Calm Emotions cast on them.

Green - menthol

sucking on this sweet allows the user to act as if they've had Comprehend Languages cast on them.

Black - liquorice

sucking on this sweet allows the user to act as if they've had Darkvision cast on them.

Red - strawberry

sucking on this sweet allows the user to act as if they've had False Life cast on them.

Spell Drops, Animal Variant

These drops work the same way, but instead of different colours they each have a little icon on them picturing different animals. The spell-like abilities are related to the animal depicted.

chameleon - Invisibility
cheetah - Longstrider
electric eel - Shocking Grasp
hyena - Tasha's Hideous Laughter
mocking bird - Vicious Mockery
skunk - Stinking Cloud
snail - Slow
rabbit - Expeditious Retreat
spider - Spider Climb
fish - Water Breathing
snake - Poison Spray

Sir Brett Nortj
2018-07-31, 05:37 PM
Guys, I'd like some feedback on this idea I had. What do you think?

----------------------------------------------------------------

Meet Jethro Havelock. He's an elderly human Wizard who enjoys a spot of tea, warm socks, and thinking up creative ways of using magic. One of his latest creations is a rather remarkable confection, granting non-magic users spell-like abilities for a brief period of time. All these spells are self-only (but of course you can always cram- ehr... offer someone else one).

Spell Drops

The bag contains hard boiled sweets in various colours and flavours. Each colour has a different effect. The duration is as long as you suck on the drop (1d4+1 minutes), meaning that swallowing the drop or spitting it out ends the effect immediately.

Yellow - honey

sucking on this sweet allows the user to act as if they've had Spider Climb cast on them.

Brown - resin

sucking on this sweet allows the user to act as if they've had Barkskin cast on them.

Violet - lavender

sucking on this sweet allows the user to act as if they've had Calm Emotions cast on them.

Green - menthol

sucking on this sweet allows the user to act as if they've had Comprehend Languages cast on them.

Black - liquorice

sucking on this sweet allows the user to act as if they've had Darkvision cast on them.

Red - strawberry

sucking on this sweet allows the user to act as if they've had False Life cast on them.

Spell Drops, Animal Variant

These drops work the same way, but instead of different colours they each have a little icon on them picturing different animals. The spell-like abilities are related to the animal depicted.

chameleon - Invisibility
cheetah - Longstrider
electric eel - Shocking Grasp
hyena - Tasha's Hideous Laughter
mocking bird - Vicious Mockery
skunk - Stinking Cloud
snail - Slow
rabbit - Expeditious Retreat
spider - Spider Climb
fish - Water Breathing
snake - Poison Spray

Okay, this is a nice spin on "potions." Or, if you were a rogue, it would be like "scrolls." How much would these cost if they were for sale by Jethro? I mean, they are not powerful, so might be allowed in the game, yes? Yes, there is room for this sort of thing in, I suppose, even strict games.

~ The kids would probably love this sort of game, see them, like glued to a wall and talking about the view?

PiperThePaladin
2018-07-31, 09:08 PM
I love this so much

Maelynn
2018-08-01, 07:10 AM
How much would these cost if they were for sale by Jethro?

Quite honestly, I hadn't given that any thought yet. They're going to be a quest reward for the party. After this, Jethro will ask them if they'd mind receiving another batch some time later - to test them for him and give him feedback. That's when they'll receive the animal-themes ones.

I don't have much experience with appraising homebrew items, but I'll give it a try.

The fact that they're limited compared to potions (see below) has me believe that they can be quite a bit cheaper than potions. Pricing also depends on the prevalence of magic and the speed at which gold is accumulated by the party. In my setting, I could either go with a flat 25 gp per drop or 200 gp for a bag of 2d4 + 4 drops.

You could make it so that buying drops for 25 gp allows a player to choose, but that a bag contains random drops (either roll or have DM decide). This would justify the bag being cheaper.

They are not powerful, so might be allowed in the game, yes? Yes, there is room for this sort of thing in, I suppose, even strict games.

I'd think so, yes, although other DMs might disagree.

The drops are rather limited, moreso than a potion. And they require to stay in the mouth to have any effect, making them less failsafe than something you ingest. I'd say that makes them viable enough for use in a setting that also allows potions.

Sir Brett Nortj
2018-08-01, 07:56 AM
Quite honestly, I hadn't given that any thought yet. They're going to be a quest reward for the party. After this, Jethro will ask them if they'd mind receiving another batch some time later - to test them for him and give him feedback. That's when they'll receive the animal-themes ones.

I don't have much experience with appraising homebrew items, but I'll give it a try.

The fact that they're limited compared to potions (see below) has me believe that they can be quite a bit cheaper than potions. Pricing also depends on the prevalence of magic and the speed at which gold is accumulated by the party. In my setting, I could either go with a flat 25 gp per drop or 200 gp for a bag of 2d4 + 4 drops.

You could make it so that buying drops for 25 gp allows a player to choose, but that a bag contains random drops (either roll or have DM decide). This would justify the bag being cheaper.

I'd think so, yes, although other DMs might disagree.

The drops are rather limited, moreso than a potion. And they require to stay in the mouth to have any effect, making them less failsafe than something you ingest. I'd say that makes them viable enough for use in a setting that also allows potions.

That is a goo explanation.

You know, female role players are quite a new thing for me. If you have time, and it will only take about six minutes, could you lend your opinion to this thread of mine?

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?565300-quot-Girl-Power-quot-The-card-game-w-i-p

Sir Brett Nortj
2018-08-01, 07:57 AM
Whoops!

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?565300-quot-Girl-Power-quot-The-card-game-w-i-p

brian 333
2018-08-01, 10:48 AM
I like the idea.

Duration = how long the candy lasts. Don't bite!

Maelynn
2018-08-02, 08:55 AM
You know, female role players are quite a new thing for me. If you have time, and it will only take about six minutes, could you lend your opinion to this thread of mine?

Hahaha, such a shameless plug. Sure, I'll look into it.

Maelynn
2018-08-02, 09:00 AM
Duration = how long the candy lasts. Don't bite!

Don't bite, don't swallow, and don't choke on it when you start laughing at the Bard's jokes.

I wonder what will happen if someone were to put more than 1 drop in their mouth at the same time... I think I should treat it the same way as mixing potions, as per the table in the DMG. Opinions?

brian 333
2018-08-02, 03:48 PM
Don't bite, don't swallow, and don't choke on it when you start laughing at the Bard's jokes.

I wonder what will happen if someone were to put more than 1 drop in their mouth at the same time... I think I should treat it the same way as mixing potions, as per the table in the DMG. Opinions?

I like that idea. The drops are essentially a potion variant anyway.

Cursed Drops:

Gum Drops = these items stick to the teeth, and the user gets a Reflex Save (DC20) to spit it out before it adheres and renders the mouth useless for 1d6 turns. Spells with a vefbal component, vefbal commands, instructions, and warnings are all impossible until the gum is removed. The gum can thereafter be used as an adhesive. Sitting or stepping on the gum after it has been removed from the mouth renders the victim immobile for 1d3 rounds.

Persimmon Drops = these drops instantly dry the mouth, causing the lips to tightly purse, rendering speech impossible. Each round the user may take a full round action to remove the candy, which requires a successful DC20 Will Save, but the effect remains for 10 turns.

Licorice Drops = these drops stain the teeth and mouth black for 3d4 hours, causing a -1 Charisma penalty for the duration.

Red Hots = within seconds of placing this candy in the mouth the user must make a DC20 Fort Save. If this save fails 1d6 Fire Damage is imposed on the user. If the Fort Save succeeds a 10 foot long x 1 foot wide jet of flames spews from the mouth. If the user succeeds in a ranged touch attack this jet will strike the target desired by the user for 1d6 Fire Damage. Of course, any combustables struck by this jet must save or ignite and may continue to burn thereafter. Whether the Fort Save fails or succeeds, thereafter the user will enjoy fresh, cinnamon-flavored breath for 1d6+Charisma Bonus hours.

Goaty14
2018-08-02, 07:07 PM
What is the action cost to keep sucking, spit it out, and put the drop in?

Maelynn
2018-08-06, 05:50 PM
What is the action cost to keep sucking, spit it out, and put the drop in?

I'd say consuming a drop would cost an action, as you need to grab one from the bag and put it in your mouth.

Sucking, swallowing, or spitting would not require any action, imho. I feel those moves are too small to take up a slot of their own - even a bonus action would already be stretching it. Would be more on par with a concentrated spell, where you can just stop concentrating to end a spell.

You might argue that it's similar to dismissing spells and thus requires an action, but I'd chalk that up to the mechanics of spells - part of learning the spell is how to undo it. Afaik it isn't specified exactly how you dismiss a spell - it might require a hand movement, or a few spoken words. Swallowing or spitting, on the other hand, is just a physical reflex that can't even be learnt.

Putting it on the same level as a concentrated spell also makes sense when you look at how concentration can be broken. You just give the user of a drop a good shove, or damage them, and they'll already have a chance to choke on it. This would then require a roll, much like the check for Concentration spells. If they fail, they either swallow the drop or spit it out. Not sure how to determine that last bit, as spitting it out might leave room for saving it for later.

brian 333
2018-08-07, 10:39 AM
I'd say consuming a drop would cost an action, as you need to grab one from the bag and put it in your mouth.

Sucking, swallowing, or spitting would not require any action, imho. I feel those moves are too small to take up a slot of their own - even a bonus action would already be stretching it. Would be more on par with a concentrated spell, where you can just stop concentrating to end a spell.

You might argue that it's similar to dismissing spells and thus requires an action, but I'd chalk that up to the mechanics of spells - part of learning the spell is how to undo it. Afaik it isn't specified exactly how you dismiss a spell - it might require a hand movement, or a few spoken words. Swallowing or spitting, on the other hand, is just a physical reflex that can't even be learnt.

Putting it on the same level as a concentrated spell also makes sense when you look at how concentration can be broken. You just give the user of a drop a good shove, or damage them, and they'll already have a chance to choke on it. This would then require a roll, much like the check for Concentration spells. If they fail, they either swallow the drop or spit it out. Not sure how to determine that last bit, as spitting it out might leave room for saving it for later.

I'd say spitting one out is a free action, but if one wishes to save the candy for later use it requires a move equivalent action.

mabriss lethe
2018-08-07, 03:28 PM
Here's a thought: Keep your original mechanics but give them a secondary "burst" effect that ends the duration in exchange for a larger related effect activated by biting the candy as an additional action.

They're a DM controlled commodity, so you don't really have to worry about players abusing them. Estimating their cost to be equivalent to a potion will still be relatively balanced.

Goaty14
2018-08-07, 07:06 PM

..."Action" isn't anything specific in 3.5. Would it be safe to assume "move action, or a free action if you have the quick draw feat"?

Here's a thought: Keep your original mechanics but give them a secondary "burst" effect that ends the duration in exchange for a larger related effect activated by biting the candy as an additional action.

They're a DM controlled commodity, so you don't really have to worry about players abusing them. Estimating their cost to be equivalent to a potion will still be relatively balanced.

Not if the players dominate Jethro into making more.

Temotei
2018-08-07, 07:29 PM
..."Action" isn't anything specific in 3.5. Would it be safe to assume "move action, or a free action if you have the quick draw feat"?

That's because this is designed with 5e in mind. Vicious mockery is a bard thing, if I remember correctly from my short play time with it.

This seems easy to adapt to any edition, though, to be honest. For 3.5, you'd just make them take the same action as a potion or scroll (standard) most of the time, I imagine, and slap down a hard duration because concentration-based buffs aren't really a thing. At that point they're just kind of more flavor (heh), though. Perhaps make them last a very short time but only take a move or even swift action.

brian 333
2018-08-07, 08:15 PM
Wint-O-Green Drops

These candies give the consumer two powers. The first is minty fresh breath which grants +1 to all Persuasion attempts. The second is a Winter Blast breath weapon which inflicts 1d6 Cold damage to all within a 15 feet long by 10 feet wide cone, Save: Reflex 1/2. Using the second ability consumes the drop.

Pep-O-Mint Drops

These candies grant a +1 Morale bonus to Attack and Skill rolls. They also allow the user to cheer on his allies, granting all allies within 30' a +1 Morale bonus to their next Attack roll. This second power consumes the candy.

Cough Drops

Placing one of these Cherry or Grape flavored treats in one's mouth causes the consumer to begin coughing. So long as the drop is in a mouth it imposes a -2 penalty to all physical activities, including speech. Spellcasting is impossible until the drop is removed or fully consumed.

How Long Do Drops Last?

I'd propose 4d6 rounds, and I'd also say that Hardness = 1/2 total HP, -1 hardness per round being consumed. A Bite attempt must inflict enough damage to overcome the candy's Hardness, but the candy has only a 1 HP.

Maelynn
2018-08-08, 03:42 AM
'Mae' culpa, Goaty14, I was indeed using 5e for the specifics. I didn't tag the thread as such because I feel it can easily be adapted for other editions, like Temotei has already kindly done. :)

I'd say spitting one out is a free action, but if one wishes to save the candy for later use it requires a move equivalent action.

Aside from the 3.5 vs 5e denominators, I think I'll dismiss the whole 'saving it for later' just to bypass the hassle of having to keep track of how much of the sweet is still left and whether or not they come with a wrapper so as to preserve them without ending up coated in gunk.

So. The magic components in the sweets are activated by saliva, and spitting one out will not pause the triggered effect. Duration is still 1d4+1 minutes, so by the time you pop it into your mouth again the effects will have ended. Also, swallowing one will end the effect because of the stomach acids.

How Long Do Drops Last?

I'd propose 4d6 rounds, and I'd also say that Hardness = 1/2 total HP, -1 hardness per round being consumed. A Bite attempt must inflict enough damage to overcome the candy's Hardness, but the candy has only a 1 HP.

The reason I went with minutes instead of rounds is because the spells I chose for the initial batch are most useful outside of combat. 4d6 rounds means you can have it last as short as 24 seconds, which is too short outside of combat situations. And I think they're not powerful enough to skew combat balance if they were to last the entire encounter. The animal-themed sweets might risk being overpowered if they last too long, but I haven't looked too much into them yet so they might be adjusted.

I only wrote the animal ones down for their initial association with certain spells; I still need to check them for balance. I like mabriss lethe's suggestion of giving a burst effect when bitten, especially because it really chimes in with the type of hard boiled sweet that inspired this (the sherbets with the fizzy/sour centre). I think not all spell effects are viable, but it would definitely work with those that are.

rferries
2018-08-08, 01:46 PM
Licorice Drops = these drops stain the teeth and mouth black for 3d4 hours, causing a -1 Charisma penalty for the duration.

Harrumph! More anti-licorice prejudice, I see. ;D

Maelynn
2018-08-08, 04:37 PM
Harrumph! More anti-licorice prejudice, I see. ;D

As a proud Dutchie, I purposefully ignored that slight at the black gold. :smalltongue: