PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Time And Relative Planes In the Multiverse (T.A.R.P.I.M. magic item)

rferries
2018-08-04, 07:03 PM
Time And Relative Planes In the Multiverse (AKA TARPIM)
This marvellous magic item is much larger on the inside than it is on the outside and can travel vast distances (and even between planes). In this way, it can serve adventurers as a mobile home and stronghold.

When not disguised a TARPIM is a nondescript Large box or similar item with one door. Upon command it can transform itself into any virtually any Large object - a closet, pillar, water clock, and so forth, as if by mirage arcana. Regardless of its appearance it has hardness 20 and 100 hit points.

Each TARPIM is crafted along with a specific key. When locked it is secured as if by an arcane lock.

The interior of a TARPIM is much larger than its exterior, similar to a permanent mage's magnificent mansion. However, the effect does not include any unseen servants or foodstuffs, and when first customised (either by its creator or the creator's client) the interior cannot be changed thereafter.

Once per day upon command, a TARPIM can duplicate a shadow walk effect for itself and all creatures and objects within its interior, save that this effect allows travel to any location on any plane and involves movement through the Astral Plane (rather than the Plane of Shadow).

All of the above functions can be controlled from a specific fixture inside the TARPIM (typically resembling a large console of some kind), or remotely via the TARPIM's key.

It is rumoured that some TARPIMs are sentient, infinitely large inside, or are even capable of travelling through time itself.

Strong conjuration; CL 20th; Craft Wondrous Item, arcane lock, astral projection, mage's magnificent mansion, mirage arcana, plane shift, shadow walk, teleport; Price 159,250 gp.

khadgar567
2018-08-05, 07:51 AM
there are also much cheaper versions called waverider comes with tier 20 computer with plucky ai and fully fucntional crew quarters

noob
2018-08-05, 08:05 AM
there are also much cheaper versions called waverider comes with tier 20 computer with plucky ai and fully fucntional crew quarters

Please explain what it means in dnd 3.5 terms?
As far as I know dnd 3.5 does not have tier 20 computers and cr 20 computers(computers hosting cr 20 ais) while existing in pathfinder can have a whole lot of different possibilities depending on the build and you could even possibly have a cr 20 computer that have a cr 20 ai dumber than a rat.

khadgar567
2018-08-05, 08:15 AM
Please explain what it means in dnd 3.5 terms?
As far as I know dnd 3.5 does not have tier 20 computers and cr 20 computers(computers hosting cr 20 ais) while existing in pathfinder can have a whole lot of different possibilities depending on the build and you could even possibly have a cr 20 computer that have a cr 20 ai dumber than a rat.
on first post was variant tardis from doctor who i just use starfinder and refer the other time travel series called legends of tomorrow.

noob
2018-08-05, 08:18 AM
on first post was variant tardis from doctor who i just use starfinder and refer the other time travel series called legends of tomorrow.

I knew you were doing a reference to a show but I did not knew you were doing a reference to starfinder too.
I guess I have to learn more about starfinder than just how boring the weapon tables and the classes are.

nonsi
2018-08-05, 08:38 AM
1. Hardness 20 and 100 HP seems a bit low (and risky) for such a device.
2. I'd advise against time travel. It's a Pandora's box better left unopened.

noob
2018-08-05, 11:31 AM

Wizard of the coast only made two ways to travel through time(three if you consider the time travelling portals are a thing different from the spell).

rferries
2018-08-08, 02:07 PM

Hehe!

1. I just copied the values from an instant fortress, but I agree (especially as a TARDIS is unsually depicted as being near-invulnerable). Wasn't sure how to phrase "indestructible" without making it an artifact though.

2. Absolutely! Very much by DM permission only.

Wizard of the coast only made two ways to travel through time(three if you consider the time travelling portals are a thing different from the spell).

What were these, may I ask? I might try to work them into the item, assuming they're non-epic effects.

noob
2018-08-08, 03:45 PM
Hehe!

1. I just copied the values from an instant fortress, but I agree (especially as a TARDIS is unsually depicted as being near-invulnerable). Wasn't sure how to phrase "indestructible" without making it an artifact though.

2. Absolutely! Very much by DM permission only.

What were these, may I ask? I might try to work them into the item, assuming they're non-epic effects.

There is Teleport Through Time and the time portal in the wotc web article
http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/pg/20030409b

Then you can abuse temporal regression if you manage to cast it multiple times at once but you can not go before the creation of the trick which is often a cheezy doubly intelligent staff(staves have two heads that can be both enchanted) of temporal regression.
A single casting of temporal regression makes you go back in time as many rounds as the number of rounds you needed to cast it so it is already time travel.

You can use wish to change the result of an action in the previous round but it is insanely expensive so avoid using it to transfer information back in time unless you cast wish easier than magic missile.

You can instead predict the future with quintessence and forced dream but technically it is not time travelling.

Temporal drakes have powers working with "time travel" but which does not allows to travel through time.
http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mm/20031122a

In the far realms 10 minutes happens every 0 round in the material place so someone could argue that if we can divide by zero amounts of time which is the procedure asked when you want to know how much time happened in the far realms after one round in the material plane then in this case it means that there is no defined result and so it makes loads of confusion with how time works.
But far realms are not guaranteed so I did not count it in the list.

There is potential for the existence of a plane of time which goes with all the corresponding broken stuff (and time elementals which are weird) but again it is not guaranteed.

aimlessPolymath
2018-08-08, 11:03 PM
There's also the little-known supplement Temporality, by Dark Quest Games.

noob
2018-08-09, 02:59 AM
There's also the little-known supplement Temporality, by Dark Quest Games.

It is third party so even if I did know that I would not have mentioned it in my list.

Eldan
2018-08-09, 04:52 AM
And occasionally mentioned is the Demiplane of Time, though that is, I think, mostly limited to older editions. It's basically the Time Vortex, including organsiations of Chronomancers that keep order and native life that eats careless time travellers.

rferries
2018-08-10, 05:28 PM
Wow thanks everyone! I had no idea there was so much temporal magic in DnD.