PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Custom lvling item for pc's

Sk8ter274
2018-08-05, 01:37 PM
Currently running a game with my brother and his friends, essentially teaching them how to play with the starter kit module. I'm more or less running the adventure as written, but I want to give each player a "custom" item that 'lvls up" up with them. I find that players, for whatever reason, would rather find a way to upgrade their current equipment that completely replace it usually for story purposes (like the barbarian is the last of his tribe and his greataxe belonged to his father and it's all he has). The party currently includes a half-orc barbarian, Tortle Monk, and halfling rogue. I've come up with an item for the barbarian and monk, but I need some feedback as well as an idea for the rogue. Here are the items I've come up with

Leviathan Axe
Greataxe, Very Rare, (Requires Attunment by barbarian by any alignment
This axe was handcrafted so long ago in the times where gods still walked the land that the blade is made of stone rather than metal. It is said that the wielder of this axe performed many act for the gods and slew so many monsters that over time their magical essence seeped into the weapons itself, allowing the wielder to even greater power. There are four ancient runes carved along the blade.
While attuned to this axe, you gain a +1 bonus to attack and damage rolls. When certain milestones are met using this axe, you gain the following benefits. You must unlock the previous benefit before advancing to the next one.

25 killing blows with the Leviathan Axe - On a hit, roll an additional 1d4 of ice damage.
25 Killing blows using Reckless Attacks - On a hit, you can choose between fire or ice damage and the die becomes a 1d6 (Axe also becomes +2 weapon)
25 One attack kills - On a hit, choose between an additional 1d8 of fire, ice, or lightning damage
25 killing blows - After throwing the leviathan axe, you can summon back to your hands with a bonus action. Any creature in the path of the axe must succeed a DC 12 DEX saving throw or be knocked prone (Axe+3)

I essentially modeled this after the axe from the God of War remake.

The Headband of Legend
Wondorus item, Very rare, requires attunment by a monk
Time has erased the name of warrior monk that created this and other headbands. It is said that he who unlocks the full power of headband will be akin that of god. Many have tried, but few or none have accomplished this. To unlock the full power of the headband, the user must defeat another headband weaer in single combat. Upon defeat, the winner's headband will absorb the loser's, increasing it's length and a small picture of their likeness. It is said a completed headband shows the warrior's jounrey to achieving to such power.
Cursed Once this headband is donned, it cannot be removed unless by a 9th lvl dispel magic spell or Wish Spell. On the DM's discretion, the wearer of the headband will randomly be challenged by lvl appropriate creatures. Upon each defeat, the wearer gains the following benefits
0 challengers defeated - +1 to attack and damage rolls with your unarmed strikes.
1 challenger defeated - Spend 1 ki point per strike to gain advantage on your attacks.
3 Challenger Defeated - When taking the dodge action, spend a ki point to make an unarmed strike when an attack misses you. Only one strike per creature attacking.
5 Challenger Defeated - Spend 3 ki points to gain the effects of Action Surge
10 Challenger Defeated - Spend 2 ki point to roll hit die to recover hit points. You can spend an additional 2 ki points per die to recover more. Cannot be used if no hit die are available.
15 Challenger Defeated - Spend 5 ki points, to gain advantage on all attacks for that turn as well resistance to slashing, piercing, and bludgeoning and temporary hit points equal to hit die + WIS modifier. Once the effect ends, you gain one level of exhaustion. Once this feature is used, it cannot be used again until a long rest is completed.

I modeled this after the Number Two headband from Afro Samurai. While it seems I'm added a lot, I'd like to point out that the PC decided he wants to run a Drunken Master Monk. I personally find it very under powered and little options for spending ki points.

So that's all I got. I still need an idea for the rogue in the party so if you have any suggestions, please don't hesitate to do so.

JNAProductions
2018-08-05, 02:12 PM
You're gonna have to specify what exactly counts as a kill. Because right now, the Barbarian has every right to Reckless Attack 25 rats, each with 1 HP, and get all the benefits.

Edit: Although I will say, cool ideas here!

Sk8ter274
2018-08-05, 02:36 PM
You're gonna have to specify what exactly counts as a kill. Because right now, the Barbarian has every right to Reckless Attack 25 rats, each with 1 HP, and get all the benefits.

Fair enough. But I'm not throwing rats at them now at lvl 2 and I won't be once I hammer out the details of the items. Plus, I need to add or make more clear that you can only achieve each milestone at a time. He has to get 25 killing blows before he can start get the 25 with reckless and so on. Otherwise it's like you said and he essentially has a legendary weapon before his lvl hits double digits

I also should add that the last requirement si 25 killing blows by THROWING THE AXE instead of just a plain killing blow.

MoleMage
2018-08-06, 10:39 AM
Seeing this thread reminded me I had been working on a subsystem very similar to this (which also includes a variant on Prestige Classes in the same framework). I dusted it off, polished it a bit, and posted it to the forums here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?565848-Prestige-Ranks-and-Legendary-Items&p=23279156#post23279156).

If you like the system, I would be willing to make some Legendary Items on request (such as Leviathan Axe), within reason.

Sk8ter274
2018-08-06, 01:41 PM
While I fully appreciate the offer. It seems a bit complicated. These guys I'm dming for are familiar with the game in name only. I literally have tell how and which die to roll. Heck I even premade their pc's and practically restricted caster classes like wizards until they understand the fundamental. That's why I kept the milestones and benefits relatively simple.
Kill # of enemies this way = get extra dmg

I just don't want an ability to come back and bite me in later lvl when they start thinking outside of "group up and hit it till it dies" mentality

Maelynn
2018-08-08, 04:43 AM
If you need killing blows to make it count towards the greataxe's goal, then be careful you're not frustrating your Barbarian when another party member 'steals the kill' and they don't get the count as a result. Especially since the monk only needs to have an enemy 'defeated' (which suggests that knocking out or having them surrender also counts). You don't want them competing over the killing blow.

Sk8ter274
2018-08-08, 10:01 AM
You have an excellent point. However it shouldn't be an issue. The barbarian can't interfere with the headband challengers. I made sure to state "in single combat" for the headband accept the victory. I'm essentially going to create custom monk enemies for to fight, but I feel it'll be worth it to see them having fun.

As for the monk interfering with the barbarian, I'll just throw extra mobs until they learn to avoid each other if they can.

PS - I still need something for the rogue

MoleMage
2018-08-08, 10:22 AM
Does the rogue's player get more enjoyment out of sneak attacking or successfully out-skilling (Stealth, Deception, Thieves' Tools) enemies?

If they prefer to go the way of the assassin, they could get a knife that does extra damage on a sneak attack (like +1 sneak attack damage initially). The condition for advancement could be attacking enemies that are unaware of them.

If they prefer to go the way of the thief, you could give them a magic lantern. Maybe initially it has a hand of glory style effect where the light only works for the bearer, and later on it could suppress sounds, suppress other light sources, reveal secret doors, stuff like that. The condition could be a "cursed item" style like the headband where they feel a strong compulsion to steal certain relatively items from highly secure locations, and each one stolen improves the lantern.

BerzerkerUnit
2018-08-08, 10:48 AM
For your Rogue, there's an Assassin Stone here (http://www.dmsguild.com/product/233542/Sweet-Magic-Items?term=sweet+magic&test_epoch=0). It doesn't progress, but it doesn't need to, it's amazing and gets better as the rogue gains more sneak attack dice.

For the axe's kills to count it should probably be CR=/>barbarian level.

Having two items in the party dependent on defeating foes seems like it would cause friction.

If I were going cursed monk item I'd give them something like...

Scaled Hand Wraps
(Legendary, Requires attunement by a monk of 1st-4th level
These cursed wraps were created by an evil god to thwart fated heroes before they can achieve their destiny. In this way they never come into the hands of a Monk beyond 4th level. They radiate transmutation magic and confound the identify spell. Their apparent purpose is to make unarmed damage magical, once attuned however they have a far more insidious nature. Removing the wraps can only be achieved through a Wish or divine intervention. A character that cuts off both their hands can end the effect, but if their hands are replaced, even with prosthetics, the progression will continue. Abjuring their path as a Monk or abandoning the life of adventuring are also ways to halt the curse. Only the boldest of heroes is able to continue their journey, accepting their transformation and continuing to chase their dreams.

The hand wraps disappear and the skin on the monk's hands and forearms become covered in hard scales. The monk's unarmed strikes become magical and they gain a +1 AC as they become able to more effectively block blows with their scaled arms. After the monk has taken a life with their unarmed strikes a slow transformation begins (sidebar- monsters and npcs are assumed dead at 0hp unless a character specifically calls out they don't want to kill them).

Each time the monk spends a point of Ki another scale is added. Scales are initially fine so dozens of points of Ki might be spent before realizing the progression.

Each time the character gains a monk level, they transform further, becoming more powerful, but less like their original form.

3rd level- Any time you spend a point of Ki for one of your monk features you gain Advantage on Athletics checks.

6th level- When an enemy successfully saves against your Stunning Strike the Ki remaining in their body poisons them until the end of your next turn.

9th level- You become immune to poison. When you make a saving vs a magical spell or effect you can spend a point of Ki to gain advantage on the roll.

12th level- Your nose recedes to two very sensitive slits and additional such nostrils open on your chin. Your tongue becomes forked and your eyes become slitted. You gain blindsense 10 ft.

15th level- Your legs fuse into a massive tail. You become immune to the prone condition, gain a climb speed equal to your speed, and when you grapple a creature it is Restrained. You can deal your unarmed damage to a creature you're grappling as a reaction at the start of their turn.

This kind of item is thematic, there's no real downside unless your monk likes their nose and legs, but you keep the effects a secret and then they scramble to get a Wish. You could even make a quest to the city of brass, then one for the favor of a Genie.

Sk8ter274
2018-08-08, 12:38 PM
For your Rogue, there's an Assassin Stone here (http://www.dmsguild.com/product/233542/Sweet-Magic-Items?term=sweet+magic&test_epoch=0). It doesn't progress, but it doesn't need to, it's amazing and gets better as the rogue gains more sneak attack dice.

For the axe's kills to count it should probably be CR=/>barbarian level.

Having two items in the party dependent on defeating foes seems like it would cause friction.

If I were going cursed monk item I'd give them something like...

Scaled Hand Wraps
(Legendary, Requires attunement by a monk of 1st-4th level
These cursed wraps were created by an evil god to thwart fated heroes before they can achieve their destiny. In this way they never come into the hands of a Monk beyond 4th level. They radiate transmutation magic and confound the identify spell. Their apparent purpose is to make unarmed damage magical, once attuned however they have a far more insidious nature. Removing the wraps can only be achieved through a Wish or divine intervention. A character that cuts off both their hands can end the effect, but if their hands are replaced, even with prosthetics, the progression will continue. Abjuring their path as a Monk or abandoning the life of adventuring are also ways to halt the curse. Only the boldest of heroes is able to continue their journey, accepting their transformation and continuing to chase their dreams.

The hand wraps disappear and the skin on the monk's hands and forearms become covered in hard scales. The monk's unarmed strikes become magical and they gain a +1 AC as they become able to more effectively block blows with their scaled arms. After the monk has taken a life with their unarmed strikes a slow transformation begins (sidebar- monsters and npcs are assumed dead at 0hp unless a character specifically calls out they don't want to kill them).

Each time the monk spends a point of Ki another scale is added. Scales are initially fine so dozens of points of Ki might be spent before realizing the progression.

Each time the character gains a monk level, they transform further, becoming more powerful, but less like their original form.

3rd level- Any time you spend a point of Ki for one of your monk features you gain Advantage on Athletics checks.

6th level- When an enemy successfully saves against your Stunning Strike the Ki remaining in their body poisons them until the end of your next turn.

9th level- You become immune to poison. When you make a saving vs a magical spell or effect you can spend a point of Ki to gain advantage on the roll.

12th level- Your nose recedes to two very sensitive slits and additional such nostrils open on your chin. Your tongue becomes forked and your eyes become slitted. You gain blindsense 10 ft.

15th level- Your legs fuse into a massive tail. You become immune to the prone condition, gain a climb speed equal to your speed, and when you grapple a creature it is Restrained. You can deal your unarmed damage to a creature you're grappling as a reaction at the start of their turn.

This kind of item is thematic, there's no real downside unless your monk likes their nose and legs, but you keep the effects a secret and then they scramble to get a Wish. You could even make a quest to the city of brass, then one for the favor of a Genie.

While I love the idea for the hand wraps, I'm gonna keep it on the back burner for now. I'm definitely gonna have to play around with it. Maybe if we ever get around to an evil campaign and someone rolls a monk.
The barbarian is more or less going to fight CR appropriate creatures so that restriction is kinda moot, but thanks. Plus they won't be competing because the headband forces the wearer to fight one on one.
As for the rogue, I'm thinking along the lines of a infamous rogue armor set. Nothing is set in stone, but I'm thinking of combining the slippers of spiderwalking, the ring of blinking, a pair of poison daggers, Spider gloves (allows casting of web) and all starts with leather armor made from the hide of a phase spider. Naturally there's gonna be bonus to having the complete set, but I'll hammer out the details once I solidify what he plans on specializing on. No point to give him an assassin set if he plans going swashbuckler

Maelynn
2018-08-08, 01:01 PM
the headband forces the wearer to fight one on one

That implies the Monk can't fight the mobs that the Barbarian and Rogue are engaging. Must be boring to sit out those fights, just twirling their thumbs because they can't fight them. :p

Sk8ter274
2018-08-08, 01:05 PM
That implies the Monk can't fight the mobs that the Barbarian and Rogue are engaging. Must be boring to sit out those fights, just twirling their thumbs because they can't fight them. :p

Huh? Did not think of that. Maybe have the challenger show up with friends or something.

MoleMage
2018-08-08, 01:09 PM
The way I read it is that challengers due to the item's effect must be fought one-on-one, not all encounters must be one-on-one. That said, the barbarian and rogue will probably want something to do during those fights (fights tend to take up a lot of attention), so the friends showing up also might be worthwhile.

Maelynn
2018-08-08, 01:42 PM
I actually meant it the other way, that the Monk is getting bored during all other encounters because he can only fight one-on-one battles and, as such, cannot join the other 2 in their fights.

But having the challenger bring friends to occupy the Barbarian and Rogue is also a good one. :)

BerzerkerUnit
2018-08-08, 01:59 PM
My comment about the Barbarian was so that he can't just run out and smash 2 dozen kobolds for max power, rather the power up only comes from dealing with great threats (also avoids the rats/chickens problem).