PDA

View Full Version : World Help Which FR god would do an invasion of this world?

Akisa
2018-08-05, 06:54 PM
So I was originally a player in a campaign with a plot similar Dragon Quest VII (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Quest_VII#Story), where initially there was only a small island. Originally the only God worshiped and granted powers was Ao (Overgod), eventually the world expanded after we unsealed different realms more Gods were discovered. Regardless throughout the previous campaign Ao remained the the predominant god of the realm with vast majority of clerics worshiping him. Though I later played Divine Meta Magic Cleric of Eilistraee when I died in an Elven/Drow sealed realm, and someone else started playing a Paladin of Freedom of a god similar to Sune (or maybe it was, it's been like 10 years) (and Loth was killed but that could be recon that her avatar was removed from realm).

I'm going to DM the game where it's 200~ years in the future and now suddenly Ao has stopped granting spells and goes silent, portals to Forgotten Realms begin to open up through out the world or at least on the main continent. I'm thinking the It's Forgotten Realms of 3e (before spell plague) and meanwhile the world of Gaia, is similar Late 18th- early 19th century Europe. Note it's not steam punk nor Eberon elemental slavery, but technology such as firearms exists.

I'm thinking of Pathfinder rules setting with Gunslingers.

Which God would try to invade in this world (I'm not expert in FR), through peaceful, subterfuge and by force? Which FR gods would only get involve to prevent influence other gods both in the Gaia and their gods influencing FR?

Mechalich
2018-08-06, 12:34 AM
I'm going to DM the game where it's 200~ years in the future and now suddenly Ao has stopped granting spells and goes silent, portals to Forgotten Realms begin to open up through out the world or at least on the main continent. I'm thinking the It's Forgotten Realms of 3e (before spell plague) and meanwhile the world of Gaia, is similar Late 18th- early 19th century Europe. Note it's not steam punk nor Eberon elemental slavery, but technology such as firearms exists.

I'm thinking of Pathfinder rules setting with Gunslingers.

A world with late 18th - early 19th century technology - meaning around the year 1800 technology is vastly more advanced than that of FR. That's a world at the very least on the verge of the industrial revolution. It would field vast armies using muskets and bayonets backed by serious artillery (with grapeshot) and with advanced cavalry. You'd have ships of the line massing canon in huge broadsides. This is Napoleonic Wars era tech (or for a fantasy equivalent, Powder Mage universe tech). The overall population of the world would like be around 1 billion, probably twice the global Faerun population (the population of the 'Realms' is much smaller only 100-200 million, a huge portion of the population lives in the fantasy China portion of the setting).

Overall this is way beyond what D&D is intended to handle. You're talking about a world with firearms as the primary weapon and artillery fire as the primary source of death in battle. Due to it's inherently random nature, artillery mixes poorly with RPG mechanics ('role 1d6 to see which member of the party dies from the barrage' is not fun).

Perhaps you want a slightly earlier historical date, like maybe late 15th/early 16th century?

Which God would try to invade in this world (I'm not expert in FR), through peaceful, subterfuge and by force? Which FR gods would only get involve to prevent influence other gods both in the Gaia and their gods influencing FR?

The short answer is: all of them. There is absolutely no reason to expect any god to stand aside from a bonanza of freely available converts, especially that given how FR's divine mechanics works any that did so would likely be destroyed by those that gain access to a giant pile of new worshippers.

However, certain gods would be better positioned to exploit this new resource. These are those gods who doctrine and worship practices most resemble Ao's and therefore can acquire his former worshippers with the least friction. Ao is a fairly distant and non-communicative entity who doesn't stand for much in the extant canon, but your version might well be different. Under stand conditions this means any TN deity with an overarching portfolio. These include: Asgorath (also known as Io), the draconic creator deity who is extremely similar to Ao in approach; Oghma, the god of knowledge; Silvanus, god of nature; and Waukeen, goddess of wealth - a persuasive choice for a more economically developed civilization. An alternate candidate if you keep the major tech level difference is Gond, the nominal god of technology of FR.

Also note that the FR pantheon includes numerous gods drawn from real-world mythology (functionally the entire Egyptian pantheon, among others) which serves as a bizarre complication to this scenario.

Eldan
2018-08-06, 03:23 AM
Yeah, that's a pretty established rule of D&D divinity. All the deities use all the opportunities they can to get on as many worlds as possible.

Akisa
2018-08-06, 07:48 AM
Snip

I kind of like early industrialization, but I guess can turn down the firearm aspect of it. The in universe explanation could be because when firearms would destroy the magical properties thus bows remained in use far longer as mages could use protection from arrows (which also seemed to work against firearms). And perhaps it's only recently how to get around firearms magical limitations was discovered.