PDA

View Full Version : Backup character for ToA

Shadurak
2018-08-07, 04:57 AM
Our current ToA campaign is progressing well so far.
Our party has reached Omu without a single casualty, the best NPC guide ever(Eku) and a kickass bodyguard robot for the sorcerer. We are currently in the process of gathering the puzzle cubes that will unlock the titular tomb, got 4 so far. However, the combat and traps are becoming far deadlier than usual and I fear a character death or even a TPK is in the near future. So I want to make a backup, just to be sure. Since I'm the frontliner currently, I'll probably be in the same role.
I've got a character concept for a fallen aasimar conquest paladin with a divine soul sorcerer MC down the line. Now since we're level 7, I have a choice to make - do I get the fear aura or a sorc level. Are the enemies we will encounter (both in our current location and in the tomb) going to be immune to fear? Don't tell me exactly what they are, a simple yes/no/mostly/a few will suffice.
I figure we'll be fighting mostly undead and constructs in the tomb and that would make the aura pretty useless, but I can't be sure.
We know for a fact we'll be fighting yuan-ti soon. Does their resistance to magic apply to the fallen aasimar racial or the fear from channel divinity? I have the rest of the character pegged (backstory, personality, stats, all that jazz), it's just the minutiae of when to switch to sorcerer that's bugging me. Can someone who is familiar with ToA please answer the above questions so I can make up my mind? Thank you.

Malifice
2018-08-07, 05:59 AM
Dont metagame and find out for yourself.

You shouldnt even be asking bro.

DaveOfTheDead
2018-08-07, 07:26 AM
Dont metagame and find out for yourself.

You shouldnt even be asking bro.

This is the answer.

Shadurak
2018-08-07, 02:32 PM
Yeah, sorry, don't tell me how to "properly" spend my pasttime. I'll have fun the way I see fit.
In any case, if noone wants to tell, that's fine. Guess I'll ask the DM if it comes down to it, he's pretty open about these things.
Cheers.

sophontteks
2018-08-07, 02:48 PM
You are incorrect about undead being immune to fear. Most are not. Because of this your fears probably aren't justified in the first place. If you are right about facing lots of undead, your fear aura will work just fine outside of a few exceptions.

EDIT: If you are wondering why undead aren't immune to fear. Older editions used to have special spells for undead that really did the exact same thing as the spells that undead were immune to. They compiled these spells by simply making undead not immune to things like charmed and frightened. Yes, many undead can be charmed too.

Willie the Duck
2018-08-07, 02:50 PM
Regardless of properness/propriety, you are asking us, in effect, to spoil it, but don't spoil it. And even beyond that, you've already stated what seems to be your position, in absence of any kind of spoilers ("I figure we'll be fighting mostly undead and constructs in the tomb and that would make the aura pretty useless, but I can't be sure"). It really sounds like you already know what you want to do, but want us to tell you if it's the right course of action, which we really can't do without telling you what you are going to expect with the rest of the adventure (which, even at the 'yes/no/mostly/a few' level, absolutely is spoilers). So we really can't succeed in giving you what you want.

Shadurak
2018-08-07, 03:20 PM
Thank you for the couple proper responses, guys. :)

(which, even at the 'yes/no/mostly/a few' level, absolutely is spoilers).
If this fits the definition of spoilers, then spoil away. I'd rather have the mystery ruined ever so slightly than lug around a useless class feature.

KorvinStarmast
2018-08-07, 03:33 PM
If this fits the definition of spoilers, then spoil away. I'd rather have the mystery ruined ever so slightly than lug around a useless class feature. Your concern strikes me as a side effect of focus on optimization.

Have you considered a cleric/X multiclass instead? (Of course, "what's the make up of your party" ought to be my first question, so "who else is in your party?" )

Seekergeek
2018-08-07, 06:33 PM
Just finished TOA. You'll be fine with a fear aura, and depending on how some of the challenges go you will probably be glad for it. I know that for many the sorcadin is tempting, but straight up paladin is so great and the paladin in our TOA campaign was arguably the MVP.