PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next UA Warforged Juggernaut^2 WiP

BRKNdevil
2018-08-07, 09:22 PM
Fighter Subclass for Warforged Juggernaut from UA based on the Warforged Juggernaut from Eberron Campaign Setting page 83

Taking Influences from the Battlerager from Sword Coast Adventure's Guide

Fighting Styles recommended Great Weapon Fighting, Two Weapon fighting, and Defense

3rd Level
You Grow Metal Spikes all over your body when ever you configure for Composite or Heavy Plating. You gain the ability to use them as a weapon.
The spikes also affect your Unarmed Strike, increasing the damage die of your unarmed strike by one size (minimum of 1d4) and your unarmed strike deals Piercing damage. You are proficient in their use.

As a bonus action you can use the spikes on your body against a target within 5 feet of you. If the attack hits, the spikes deal 1d4 piercing damage. You use your Strength modifier for the attack and damage rolls.

Additionally, when you use the Attack action to grapple a creature, the target takes 3 piercing damage if your grapple check succeeds.

7th Level
Charge Subset
While configured for Composite Plating, you can Dash as a bonus action.
While configured for Heavy Plating, After moving 10 or more feet and successfully landing a melee attack, you can force the opponent to make a Strength save (8 + your proficieny + your Strength modifier) or be knocked prone.

Spikes and Fists count as Magical for etc.

10th
2nd Fighting Style
Ribbon (Advantage to Breaking object?)

15th
The path you have taken has started to cause more physical changes to your internal structure.
If an attack that hits you would be a Critical Hit, treat it as a normal hit.
Your mental functions start changing as well, you suffer a disadvantage to Charisma based Skill checks besides intimidation.

Ribbon

18th

Crisis21
2018-08-07, 10:43 PM
So this is a race-exclusive archetype like the Dwarf-only barbarian archetype?

Edit: Take notes from the Dwarven archetype for spike damage, like so:
Path of the Battlerager

(Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide)
Restriction: Dwarves Only

Only dwarves can follow the Path of the Battlerager. The battlerager fills a particular niche in dwarven society and culture.

Your DM can lift this restriction to better suit the campaign. The restriction exists for the Forgotten Realms. It might not apply to your DM's setting or your DM's version of the Realms.

Battlerager Armor

At 3rd level, you gain the ability to use Spiked Armor as a weapon.

While you are wearing spiked armor and are raging, you can use a bonus action to make one melee weapon attack with your armor spikes against a target within 5 feet of you. If the attack hits, the spikes deal 1d4 piercing damage. You use your Strength modifier for the attack and damage rolls.

Additionally, when you use the Attack action to grapple a creature, the target takes 3 piercing damage if your grapple check succeeds.

Reckless Abandon

Beginning at 6th level, when you use Reckless Attack while raging, you also gain temporary hit points equal to your Constitution modifier (minimum of 1). They vanish when your rage ends.

Battlerager Charge

Beginning at 10th level, you can take the Dash action as a bonus action while raging.

Spiked Retribution

Starting at 14th level, when a creature within 5 feet of you hits you with a melee attack, the attacker takes 3 piercing damage if you are raging, aren't incapacitated, and are wearing spiked armor.

Suggestions: Spiked fists should say something like 'When using spikes, increase the damage die of your unarmed strike by one size (minimum 1d4) and your unarmed strike now deals Piercing damage'.

I'd change the charge subset like so: Dash as a bonus action for Composite Plating. Heavy Plating allows you to force the opponent to make a Strength save (8 + your proficieny + your Strength modifier) or be knocked prone. So, basically, do you want to be more mobile, or do you want to run over your opponents?

BRKNdevil
2018-08-08, 10:07 PM
Agreeing with most and will change as soon as my computer stops friggin out

Edit:
Post editing original post, now stuck since it was only a 5 level prestige class that seemed to mainly make you really easy to wear down.

Dunno, the other things that it did was make you immune to death like spells and mental attacks

Amnoriath
2018-08-10, 08:09 PM
Agreeing with most and will change as soon as my computer stops friggin out

Edit:
Post editing original post, now stuck since it was only a 5 level prestige class that seemed to mainly make you really easy to wear down.

Dunno, the other things that it did was make you immune to death like spells and mental attacks
1. One thing you really need to remember is there isn't a heavy armor body any more. Composite plating is a flat ac bonus now.
2. It was a really good prestige class that gave you all the construct immunities without the drawbacks.
3. Keep in mind most of the Battlerager abilities are during rage. In order to fit both the Fighter's subclass model and analogies to the Battlerager I would make the 3rd level ability like this.
Spiked Body: You forge great spikes all across your body. Your unarmed strikes may deal piercing damage and deal damage as if they were a monk using your fighter level. Additionally if you took damage from a melee attack as a reaction you may make an unarmed strike against that opponent after the damage is calculated.
4. 7th level is utility so something like the Bear totem at 6th level will do well.
5. 10th level probably should be defensive taking damage
6. 15th should be better charging.
7. 18th probably should get you good immunities.

Crisis21
2018-08-10, 11:48 PM
1. One thing you really need to remember is there isn't a heavy armor body any more. Composite plating is a flat ac bonus now.

Huh? The recent Unearthed Arcana re-did the Warforged. They have a racial trait called Integrated Protection

Integrated Protection: You have a natural armor class. You don't benefit from wearing armor except shields. Each time you finish a long rest, choose one of the following protection modes, provided you meet the mode's prerequisite.

Mode Prerequisite Armor Class
Darkwood undercore (unarmored) None 11 + your Dexterity modifier + your proficiency bonus (if proficient with light armor)
Composite plating (armor) Medium armor proficiency 13 + your Dexterity modifier (maximum of 2) + your proficiency bonus
Heavy plating (armor) Heavy armor proficiency 16 + your proficiency bonus; disadvantage on Stealth checks

BRKNdevil
2018-08-11, 01:45 AM
think i should post the link to the pdf?

also, a dex focus or heavy plate dumping dex leads to a non shield ac of 22
but Medium armor only gets 21
honestly would prefer to get it to regular armor levels
currently too sleepy

Amnoriath
2018-08-11, 08:21 AM

currently too sleepy
1. I found it, Sorry, I was too busy with a wedding and honeymoon to notice. 😊
2. Medium Armor always gets the short end in 5e. That isn't something for this class to fix as it would just make things more complicated and restricted.

Crisis21
2018-08-11, 08:24 AM

currently too sleepy
Got you covered. (http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/races-eberron)

Yeah, that discrepancy bugs a bunch of people.

Look at it this way though, the medium armor option requires less DEX (14 instead of 20) and doesn't tank stealth.

1. I found it, Sorry, I was too busy with a wedding and honeymoon to notice. 😊
2. Medium Armor always gets the short end in 5e. That isn't something for this class to fix as it would just make things more complicated and restricted.

1. Both excellent reasons not to notice something. :smallwink:

2. It really does. About the only advantage it has is that some options don't tank stealth and only needs middling DEX. So, basically, it's the armor option for when your heavily armored fighter or paladin suddenly wants to do some sneaking around.

Edit: Idea for 18th level feature: Basically what Evasion does for Rogues, but with Constitution saves.