PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Rules wording regarding archetype feature

ciarannihill
2018-08-09, 11:08 AM
How would you word the ability to add a skill bonus (Attribute+Prf) to a die result? Specifically within this example (from a recent homebrew (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?566095-Wizard-Archetype-School-of-Medicine&p=23286257)I posted for feedback), including on how to word these things:

Potent Treatment: Starting at 6th level, whenever you restore hit points to a creature, including applying the use of items such as a healer’s kit or healing potion, that creature regains additional hit points equal to your Medicine bonus.

I used "Medicine bonus", but I'm fairly certain the wording is clunky compared to what it should be, but I'm not sure what it should be and I'm blanking on what other feature I might be able to use for wording reference for this type of effect.

Any rules experts, I beseech thee!

Naanomi
2018-08-09, 11:11 AM
It would probably need to be parsed it in more detail. ...”equal to your wisdom bonus (a minimum of +1). If you are proficient in Medicine, you may also add your proficiency”; though there are not comparable abilities in the books I know of to directly template from; and the wording above doesn’t necessarily take into account things like Jack of all Trades or Expertise: Medicine

ciarannihill
2018-08-09, 11:17 AM
It would probably need to be parsed it in more detail. ...”equal to your wisdom bonus (a minimum of +1). If you are proficient in Medicine, you may also add your proficiency”; though there are not comparable abilities in the books I know of to directly template from; and the wording above doesn’t necessarily take into account things like Jack of all Trades or Expertise: Medicine

Perhaps something like "equal to your Wisdom modifier (a minimum of +1). If you are proficient in Medicine you may add your proficiency bonus in addition to other bonuses applied to the Medicine skill, such as Expertise" or something along those lines? it gets more granular, but the idea is the same -- skill in Medicine translates directly to this feature.

KorvinStarmast
2018-08-09, 11:18 AM
How would you word the ability to add a skill bonus (Attribute+Prf) to a die result? Specifically within this example (from a recent homebrew (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?566095-Wizard-Archetype-School-of-Medicine&p=23286257)I posted for feedback), including on how to word these things:

I used "Medicine bonus", but I'm fairly certain the wording is clunky compared to what it should be, but I'm not sure what it should be and I'm blanking on what other feature I might be able to use for wording reference for this type of effect.

Any rules experts, I beseech thee! I think that the simplest way to say that is:

"Potent Treatment: Starting at 6th level, whenever you restore hit points to a creature -- including the use of items such as a healer’s kit or healing potion -- the creature regains additional hit points equal to your Wisdom(Medicine) skill modifier."

That will allow you to factor in expertise and Jack of All trades bonuses without additional text. Note ...

... proficiency in a skill means an individual can add his or her proficiency bonus to ability checks that involve that skill. Without proficiency in the skill, the individual makes a normal ability check.
and

To make an ability check, roll a d20 and add the relevant ability modifier.
Hope that helps.

ciarannihill
2018-08-09, 11:25 AM
I think that the simplest way to say that is:

"Potent Treatment: Starting at 6th level, whenever you restore hit points to a creature -- including the use of items such as a healer’s kit or healing potion -- the creature regains additional hit points equal to your Wisdom(Medicine) skill modifier."

That will allow you to factor in expertise and Jack of All trades bonuses without additional text.

Hope that helps.

Thank you, I think that's likely the most elegant solution. Altered to this wording for the time being, unless someone comes up with an example I can follow from an existing ability or feature.