PDA

View Full Version : Exalted: Powered by the Apocalypse?

Kaworu
2018-08-10, 10:41 AM
Hi :)

I have been just wondering... if I would like to re-create Exalted (which is really great, but its mechanics if far too heavy) in PbtA format, would anybody be interested?

Also, my biggest problem lies with copyrights. I dunno how similar the PbtA version can be to the regular in order to not create infringement. Perhaps it does not matter as much since it's a fan creation and I am not gonna sell the Ex: PbtA, but still, I wanna be clean on that. So how similar the games can be? The core mechanics is gonna be totally different, for sure, but are the names of Charms/Spells copyrighted too and out of limit?

[I think their "plot" description - like, you know "nobody can hide from Lawgivers, so this charm..." and such - will be mine, but if it is possible, I would like to keep the names of Charms, cause they are truly cool and I like them a lot.]

Plus I have never created a true homebrew material before and English is my second language, please, bear with me :)

lightningcat
2018-08-10, 07:45 PM
Not a lawyer or anything, but you can get away with a bit as long as you never, ever, even think about making money, and make sure you credit the original a lot. Also, just avoid dupicating the fluff parts.

noob
2018-08-11, 07:05 AM
You can use rights to parody if you are in a country allowing it but otherwise with intellectual property they can start trying to sue you if they are aware.
You can hope that they are going to be rational enough for not suing you due to that being a waste of money.

Anymage
2018-08-11, 07:25 AM
The legality of doing this is outside this board's remit. For test runs it's probably okay to use the names of existing Exalted charms, and you can change those up later once you have the rules for specific character types more clearly spelled out.

My bigger issue is the fact that exalts are largely defined by the list of powers they have available, and by the fact that they can often exceed normal human limits. (Solars are explicitly normal human potential turned up to a billion, and even other exalt types get a lot of use out of their excellencies.) PbtA, meanwhile, has a much more class-based character creation, a much smaller number of moves per character, and doesn't really have scales for success between "succeed at cost" vs. "unconditional success". So while I'm sure something could be kludged, the default power assumptions for the two systems could be tricky to square.

Kaworu
2018-08-11, 08:07 AM
My bigger issue is the fact that exalts are largely defined by the list of powers they have available, and by the fact that they can often exceed normal human limits. (Solars are explicitly normal human potential turned up to a billion, and even other exalt types get a lot of use out of their excellencies.) PbtA, meanwhile, has a much more class-based character creation, a much smaller number of moves per character, and doesn't really have scales for success between "succeed at cost" vs. "unconditional success". So while I'm sure something could be kludged, the default power assumptions for the two systems could be tricky to square.

Hm, I know, but I think things could get "tweaked" a little. Basically, Charms would be moves, classes would give the caste powers (and since Exalts are pretty "universal" - look: Salina - they would not give much more than that). I'm considering giving some kind of Essence, but I think I will skip the motes thing. Generally I have some ideas, but I think I will need to have a deeper look into various PbtA systems (I know only Monster of the Week) and take notice of how they are similar, different and why.

But I see there's some interest and I believe the idea have a kind of potential, so I think I will try to do it :)