Hit Dice: 1d10
Hit Points at 1st Level: 10+Con mod
Hit Points at Higher Levels: 1d10 (6)+Con mod

PROFICIENCIES
Armor: None
Weapons: All simple
Tools: None

Saving Throws: Constitution and Intelligence
Skills: Choose two from Athletics, Stealth, Arcana, History, Investigation, Insight, Medicine, Perception, Survival, Deception, Intimidation, and Persuasion

EQUIPMENT
You start with the following equipment, in addition to the equipment granted by your background:
-Any weapon you are proficient in and 20 pieces of ammo, if needed
-Any simple weapon and 20 pieces of ammo, if needed
-Any one pack

Naga

Level
Proficiency Bonus
Features

1st
+2
Naga Form

2nd
+2
Naga Archetype

3rd
+2
Spellcasting

4th
+2
Ability Score Improvement

5th
+3
Extra Attack, Crushing Coils

6th
+3
Archetype Feature

7th
+3
Form Shifting

8th
+3

9th
+4
Improved Form

10th
+4
Archetype Feature

11th
+4
Improved Crushing Coils

12th
+4

13th
+5
Greater Form

14th
+5
Archetype Feature

15th
+5
Improved Form Shifting

16th
+5

17th
+6
Greater Crushing Coils

18th
+6
Archetype Feature

19th
+6

20th
+6
Archetype Feature

Naga Form-At level one, you are a naga. This is your race, and grants you the following benefits:
-You gain +1 to Strength, Constitution, and Intelligence.
-Your move speed is 35'.
-Your size is large. As such, you take up a 10' by 10' space, not 5' by 5'. However, your small humanoid part means that you wield weapons only slightly larger than those used by medium creatures, and therefore do no extra damage. In addition, due to your coils, you may choose to extend yourself in a line, occupying four adjacent 5' by 5' cubes. You can only attack with your humanoid form from the frontmost cube, but are free to use your tail attack from any other square.
-You have Darkvision out to 60'.
-You have resistance to poison damage and advantage on saves against poison.
-Your AC can equal to 13+your Dexterity modifier.
-You have a tail attack, which you are proficient in, that deals 1d10 points of bludgeoning damage with a 5' reach. In addition, in any turn when you hit with your tail, you may attempt to grapple the target as a bonus action.

Naga Archetype-At level two, choose to be a Spiritcaller or a Warrior.

Spellcasting-At level three, you gain spellcasting. You have a number of slots equal to half your proficiency bonus, rounding up, that recharge on a short rest. Their level is your proficiency bonus minus one. Intelligence is your casting stat for these spells.

Ability Score Improvement-Usual levels, usual deal.

Extra Attack-Level five, usual deal.

Crushing Coils-At level five, your ability to crush those entrapped in your coils improves. When you perform a tail attack against someone you have grappled, you may choose to instead try to restrain them further. Make an opposed grapple check-on a success, they are restrained, you may use a bonus action on your turn to deal 2d6+Strength modifier bludgeoning damage to them, and they must first escape from being restrained before they can escape your grapple.

Form Shifting-At level seven, you are able to change to a singular humanoid form. This form looks, from the waist up, exactly as you do, but has legs instead of a snake tail.

Improved Form-At level nine, your natural armor improves to 14+Dexterity modifier.

Improved Crushing Coils-At level eleven, you gain advantage on Athletics checks made to grapple, and can grapple a creature up to two sizes larger than you, or grapple up to four creatures one size smaller than you, doubling the amount for each size smaller than that. As such, your Crushing Coils deal damage to everyone you have Restrained.

Greater Form-At level thirteen, your resistance to poison improves to immunity, your Darkvision range doubles to 120', and your speed increases to 40'.

Improved Form Shifting-At level fifteen, you are able to enlarge yourself, as per the spell, at-will. There is no duration other than Concentration when cast in this manner.

Greater Crushing Coils-At level seventeen, your Crushing Coils now deal 2d10+Strength modifier damage to all you have restrained.

Spiritcaller

Spiritcalling-At level two, you may perform a seance. This is a one-hour ritual, requiring participation of at you and at least one other person per level of the spell you are attempting to cast with the seance. At the conclusion, you may call upon your ancestor spirits to guide you, casting any divination spell of a level no greater than your proficiency bonus.

Protective Spirithost-At level six, you are able to call your spirits down upon any who dare strike you. As a reaction, you may inflict 1d6+Intelligence modifier psychic damage to anyone who successfully attacks you, so long as they are visible to you and within 60'.

Vengeful Spirithost-At level ten, your spirits linger and disrupt after striking. Anyone affected by your Protective Spirithost ability suffers the effects of the Bane spell (with no save allowed) until the end of your next turn.

Clad In Armor Of Ancestry-At level fourteen, you may summon a spiritual shield that you are proficient in. This shield is, other than providing the standard +2 to AC, a focus for your spirits, and when in use, increases your damage from Spirithost to 2d6+Intelligence modifier.

Spiritual Recall-At level eighteen, you may recall the spirits to their bodies. You may, once per long rest, cast Resurrection or any lesser form of magic that raises the dead back to life.

Live On-At level twenty, you are able to live on even after death. When you die, you immediately gain an incorporeal form that has 1 HP and THP equal to your hit point maximum. Other than being incorporeal, this form can do everything your normal form can, including casting Resurrection (so long as you have enough diamonds).

Warrior

Martial Tradition-At level two, you gain proficiency in all martial weapons.

Fighting Style-At level six, you may choose any one fighting style.

Strike And Slither-At level ten, you may Dash as a bonus action on any turn when you attack as an action.

Slithering Gait-At level fourteen, you may Disengage as a bonus action.

Naga's Strength-At level eighteen, your Strength score increases by 2, as does your maximum Strength (to a max of 30).

Extra Attack II-At level twenty, you gain a third attack.

KittenMagician
2018-08-11, 04:56 PM
its an interesting idea but there is no spell list to learn spells from. if its just any old spell you want this would be overpowered. i think that having spell casting would be good for the spirit caller but kinda dumb for the warrior. and getting a third attack at lvl 20 is weak. fighters get a 3rd attack lvl 11 and a 4th at lvl 20. lvl 20 should be something powerful for your overall class/archetype. i think you could change it to where the extra attack/third attack are warrior specific and the spell casting is spiritcaller specific. also what if i want to wear armor? there is potential here and i dont want you to give up but there doesnt seem to be good specialization.

JNAProductions
2018-08-11, 07:21 PM
Crap, forgot to make a list. It is meant to have a certain list, not just anything.

Anymage
2018-08-13, 01:51 AM
For starters, naga in D&D don't have humanoid torsos. Yuan-ti fill that niche. Snakes with human faces - but notably without humanoid hands - become much more annoying to play.

Ignoring that, the Warrior archetype is counter-synergistic. Your tail attack is strong all on its own, and then you get basic racial features encouraging you even more strongly to focus on it. Weapon proficiencies and combat style don't really matter. Bonus action abilities compete with your bonus action extra damage, since so many of the base racial features are focused on being a grappler. +2 strength that can push you above 20 is nice, as is an extra attack, but they feel like too little, too late. You can deal a crapton of damage to something that you can grapple, but that makes the whole class feel like a one-trick pony.

The Spiritcaller feels like it's making a mistake the other way. You're a decent melee character combined with a lot of punishments for people to attack you. (I'd be tempted to play a naga with Sentinel just so that every attack the enemy makes gets punished in one way or another.) The divination feature is nice, although its open-endedness makes me wary the same way I always am when an ability lets you pick from a wide and ever growing list. And while the capstone is a suitably epic nod to epic destinies, it makes me wary for two reasons; First, epic destiny abilities that let you come back from death were balanced by everybody having them, not just one person. When nobody else gets similar toys, it seems a lot much. Second, by a strict reading, the character becomes immortal. Nothing about the intangible spirit form is not alive, so killing it just spawns another intangible spirit form infinitely.

Yddisac
2018-08-14, 01:02 PM
For starters, naga in D&D don't have humanoid torsos. Yuan-ti fill that niche.

While this is technically true, I feel the need to point out that not everyone plays Forgotten Realms. Yuan-ti don't exist in a lot of homebrew settings - certainly not in mine. The naga in general pop culture do have humanoid cultures (or at least the segment of pop culture I'm exposed to) and the term gets the idea across much faster than "yuan-ti" does, at least to me. (Plus, yuan-ti abominations, IIRC, aren't large — though as I've never used them due to not playing in FR, I could be wrong there). I also like that this class is flavour agnostic, while a yuan-ti class would probably have to address the "evil transhumanist" flavour some.

Ranting about the name aside: Until we see the full spell list, it would, of course, be impossible to make any true determinations about how the class performs. I do hope the spell list adds some spice, because the class's base chassis is a bit dull, conferring mostly passive benefits. It's insanely good at grappling, but grappling, even for a Large creature, is situational. It's also difficult to make interesting narratively. All Nagas will fight essentially the same way, wading into battle and crushing enemies with their tails. I can picture different Barbarians with different fighting styles easily; Nagas are stuck using the same tactics all the time.

As for the subclasses, I agree with Anymage's assessments. They're two subclasses fulfilling the same niche, that of a melee bruiser/tank, from veeery slightly different angles. They'd still essentially fight the same way. The Warrior Naga gets some mobility related features, but it gets them at a trickle, and as Anymage pointed out, they run counter the class's core fighting style of "grapple, hit, repeat." A more palatable approach might be to put the grappling features into a subclass of their own, and then make another subclass focused on spellcasting — but that's hard to say, of course, without seeing the spell list.

Anymage
2018-08-14, 04:24 PM
While this is technically true, I feel the need to point out that not everyone plays Forgotten Realms. Yuan-ti don't exist in a lot of homebrew settings - certainly not in mine. The naga in general pop culture do have humanoid cultures (or at least the segment of pop culture I'm exposed to) and the term gets the idea across much faster than "yuan-ti" does, at least to me. (Plus, yuan-ti abominations, IIRC, aren't large — though as I've never used them due to not playing in FR, I could be wrong there). I also like that this class is flavour agnostic, while a yuan-ti class would probably have to address the "evil transhumanist" flavour some.

My first thought was WoW style nagas too. But that kind tends to be only a little taller than humans*, which meshes very poorly with being a large race that can uncoil out to 20'.

You're welcome to file file the serial numbers off of yuan-ti abominations and use them for WoW style nagas. But starting from the MM entry will cause hiccups, because MM naga are indeed armless snakes with human faces.

*(Edit to add: Within the bounds of how WoW can be fast and loose with scaling. You have everything from PC sized enemies all the way up to raid boss sized enemies. That doesn't change the fact that you're going to have to chose a default size, and a 20' tail leading up to a normal human sized torso is a very specific look.)