PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class The Master Maker - Inspired Creation

Eno Remnant
2018-08-11, 11:50 PM
The Master Maker

Fluff to come.

Game Rule Information
Master Makers have the following game statistics.

Abilities: A Master Maker relies on their Intelligence to make use of their abilities. Dexterity and Constitution increase survivability, as usual.

Hit Dice: d6

Level
BAB
Fort
Ref
Will
Special
Inspiration

+0
+0
+0
+2
Inspiration, Marvels, Animation (undead)

+1
+0
+0
+3
Mental Strain

+1
+1
+1
+3

+2
+1
+1
+4
Animation (deathless)

+2
+1
+1
+4

+3
+2
+2
+5
Sand Shape

+3
+2
+2
+5
Heightened Understanding

+4
+2
+2
+6
Animation (inversion)

+4
+3
+3
+6
Sand Shape (stone)

+5
+3
+3
+7
Brainstorm

+5
+3
+3
+7

+6/+1
+4
+4
+8
Sand Shape (metal), Animation (magic)

+6/+1
+4
+4
+8
Sand Shape (medium range)

+7/+2
+4
+4
+9
Epiphany

+7/+2
+5
+5
+9
Sand Shape (mithral)

+8/+3
+5
+5
+10

+8/+3
+5
+5
+10

+9/+4
+6
+6
+11
Sand Shape (adamantine)

+9/+4
+6
+6
+11

+10/+5
+6
+6
+12
Epic Marvel

Skill Points at First Level: (4 + Int modifier) *4

Skill Points at Each Additional Level: (4 + Int modifier)

The Master Maker's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Appraise (Int), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Disable Device (Dex), Forgery (Int), Knowledge (all, taken individually) (Int), Profession (Wis), Search (Int), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Spellcraft (Int), Spot (Wis), and Use Magic Device (Cha)

Class Features

Proficiencies: Master Makers are proficient with simple weapons, light armour, and shields (but not tower shields).

Inspiration: Master Makers measure their creative capabilities as inspiration, a semi-mystical well of power with which they may make. They gain inspiration as indicated in the table above.

Marvels (Sp): As the Artificer’s Item Creation ability, except as follows: Master Makers gain Craft Wondrous Item as a bonus feat. The skill Craft (Marvel) is used in place of Use Magic Device for emulating spells. Master Makers may invest inspiration in their magic items, which can be used in various ways: it can be used as a partial substitute for xp costs in magic item creation, with each point of inspiration being worth 25xp; it can be used as a partial substitute for gold in magic item creation, with each point being worth 100gp; it can be used to lower the DC to emulate a certain spell, with each point reducing the DC by 1. Points invested in each way are tracked individually.

Makers may retrieve any amount of inspiration from a marvel as a free action, but doing so renders it inert (provided there remains at least 1 point of inspiration in the item) or turns it to useless ash (by removing all points) – this may be remedied (in the case of an inert item) by providing the equivalent component, but this is a difficult process, and requires a 50% cost increase (example, you may replace 1 point of inspiration used for gold by spending 150gp).

Whenever a Marvel on the Maker’s person is subject to an anti-magic effect, the Maker may make a Concentration check, opposed by the caster level of the spell + 20 – success means that Marvels attended by the Maker continue to function. Ongoing effects like Anti-Magic Field require a new check every round.

Marvels may be created with metamagic known by the Maker. As this increases the Marvel’s spell level, it also increases the cost.

Animation (Sp): Master Makers may animate undead by investing inspiration into corpses, bringing them immediately under the Maker’s control. This takes a full-round action. The cost grows with the number of hit dice, with each hit dice being worth 1 more than the prior (1 HD = 1 inspiration, 2 HD = 3 inspiration, 3 HD = 6 inspiration, 4 HD = 10 inspiration, etc.). As with Marvels, inspiration may be retrieved from animated undead as a free action – if left with inspiration, the Maker loses control, if reduced to zero inspiration, the body is rendered to useless ash. Incorporeal undead require triple the inspiration to animate. A Master Maker cannot create undead with higher hit dice than their class level.

Beginning at 4th level, this ability may be used to create deathless. It has all the same costs and restrictions as creating undead.

Beginning at 8th level, undead animated using inspiration may be powered by positive energy instead of negative energy, and vice versa for deathless.

Beginning at 12th level, a creature may be animated with the ability to use any magical power (spells, SLAs and supernatural abilities) it had prior to death, regardless of undead type restrictions. This costs double the inspiration of the creature’s magical HD (spell granting class levels, RHD with supernatural abilities, etc.), on top of the original cost, which is tracked separately. Retrieving inspiration from this pool prevents the creature from using the abilities gained using this feature, but does not separate it from the Maker’s control. The Maker’s Intelligence score is used in place of the appropriate mental score for mindless undead. Incorporeal creatures cannot have magical abilities restored.

Mental Strain: At 2nd level, a Master Maker learns how to bypass the process of Marvel creation, by pushing the limits of their mental capabilities. Much as a Wizard prepares spells, a Maker may expend inspiration to create symbols across their bodies – these symbols represent spells that they may then cast. The symbols are effectively Marvels—scrolls, to be precise—and are created in the same way. Each symbol takes a minute to create, and costs (5 + spell level squared) inspiration, but a Maker cannot create spell symbols of a higher level than a Wizard’s spells at the same class level.

Unlike Marvels, the spell symbols created in this manner cause powerful headaches that limit a Maker's ability to make. Inspiration used to create spell symbols is not returned after the symbol is used, unless the Maker rests for eight hours.

Sand Shape (Sp): At 6th level, the Master Maker gains Sand Shape, as the Sand Shaper ability, except as noted. Sand Shape has close range, which increases to medium range at 13th level. It takes a standard action to use, but may be also be used as an immediate action if the item’s DC is 0 or less - this application overloads a Maker's mind, creating a block that prevents further use of the ability until three rounds later. The caster level check is replaced by Craft (marvel). For each point of the DC, the Maker must invest a point of inspiration (no inspiration is required in the case of DCs 0 and below). Attended materials are entitled to a Fortitude save (DC 10 + half class level + intelligence modifier). As with Marvels, a Maker may retrieve their inspiration from shaped sand as a free action. Items last indefinitely, provided no inspiration is removed from them - removing any amount returns them to their original state. This ability also allows them to shape dirt in the same fashion.

At 9th level, this ability may be used to shape stone. It functions identically to shaping sand, except that all DCs are increased by 5. Items made from stone have hardness and hp as listed in the SRD.

At 12th level, this ability may be used to shape common metals, such as iron and steel. It functions identically to shaping sand, except that all DCs are increased by 10. Items made from metal have hardness and hp as appropriate to their listing in the SRD.

At 15th level, this ability may be used to shape mithral. It functions identically to shaping sand, except that all DCs are increased by 20. Items made from mithral have hardness and hp as listed in the SRD.

At 18th level, this ability may be used to shape adamantine. It functions identically to shaping sand, except that all DCs are increased by 40. Items made from adamantine have hardness and hp as listed in the SRD.

Heightened Understanding: Makers add their Intelligence modifier to their inspiration pool.

Brainstorm (Su): At 10th level, once per day, as a swift action, a Maker gains temporary inspiration equal to the square of their class level. This inspiration lasts for 1 minute. It can be used as part of a full-round action to animate every dead body within 100 ft. It can be used to craft Marvels or nonmagical items (for this purpose, 1 inspiration equals 1 gold piece), with a crafting duration of rounds instead of weeks, using only inspiration. Anything created using inspiration from this ability expires at the end of the ability's duration.

Epiphany: Makers add their Intelligence score to their inspiration pool. This replaces Heightened Understanding.

Epic Marvel (Sp): At 20th level, a Master Maker creates a single 10th level spell, as if from the Epic Spellcasting feat. This spell may be used to craft a Marvel, but it requires the Maker to make the requisite Spellcraft check in addition to its costs (both the spell’s costs and the costs to create the item), substituting Craft (Marvel) for Spellcraft. The Maker may only have one Epic Marvel at a time, and cannot create another if the first is inert.

Eno Remnant
2018-08-11, 11:52 PM
So I made this class a while ago, following a request from a friend to combine his three favourite mechanics--item crafting, necromancy, and sand shaping--into one class. After a little messing around with it, I decided it was worth posting here for everyone else to see.

There are some numbers I haven't really calculated, so some of these abilities may be under- or overpowered. Feedback is greatly appreciated.

khadgar567
2018-08-12, 03:00 AM
So I made this class a while ago, following a request from a friend to combine his three favourite mechanics--item crafting, necromancy, and sand shaping--into one class. After a little messing around with it, I decided it was worth posting here for everyone else to see.

There are some numbers I haven't really calculated, so some of these abilities may be under- or overpowered. Feedback is greatly appreciated.
I think incarnum is kinda wrong system for your kazekage doctor frankestein hybrid idea as it feels compleately out of left field. while your name is good i was waiting for some thing like incarnate feat artificer creating veils and applying theories to strengthen the soul construct. like lets say grilion arms as binding then ability to turn it into pair of arm cannons that shoot variable energy blast as range attack.

Just to Browse
2018-08-12, 07:34 PM
I like the idea of using flow to substitute for gold & XP in item creation costs, but I agree with khadgar that it doesn't seem to have anything to do with essentia. Just mostly feels like a new take on the artificer class. I think it's cool enough to stand on its own.

Eno Remnant
2018-08-13, 08:35 AM
Fluff adjusted. It mostly existed because I needed fluff, and it was the first thing that came to mind. Hopefully this change is a tad more palatable.

khadgar567
2018-08-13, 09:40 AM
much better ask now it feels like crafting class ratter then naruto feat dr frankestein feat incarnum the first iteration it is but hey you atleast give me an idea for pathfinder class.

Just to Browse
2018-08-14, 11:03 PM
I am a big fan of the core mechanic of this class. The the way the Artificer's XP pool worked always bugged me, and I really like how you can choose to make items permanent if they end up being cool enough to keep around long-term. Two things I'd like to request re: that feature. The first is to look into scaling. I recommend getting rid of the 1Insp=100XP and 1Insp=100/2lvlGP ratios, because right now your players will have to bust out their Excel charts to figure out how to maximize Inspiration at each level breakpoint. Both crafting costs (GP & XP) scale directly with item price, so if 1Insp pays for 100GP, then 1Insp should also pay for 25XP. That way your players will "only" have to multiply item costs by 5/8 to figure out how much Inspiration they need to spend.

I would get rid of the SLAs associated with Sand Shape (wall of stone, wall of iron, etc). I don't think the SLAs are making much of a difference, but their inclusion makes for a weird contrast. They are the only abilities with concrete encounter uses in a sea full of open-endedness, but they're not central at all to the class's theme. Since open-endedness is what is so cool about this class in the first place, I think players will be better off if the SLAs are removed.

Eno Remnant
2018-10-30, 11:02 PM
I am a big fan of the core mechanic of this class. The the way the Artificer's XP pool worked always bugged me, and I really like how you can choose to make items permanent if they end up being cool enough to keep around long-term.

Glad to hear it! I've never been a fan of the xp pool myself, and a point-based system just made sense to me.

I apologise for not getting to this sooner, I've been very busy. So let's get into it.

Two things I'd like to request re: that feature. The first is to look into scaling. I recommend getting rid of the 1Insp=100XP and 1Insp=100/2lvlGP ratios, because right now your players will have to bust out their Excel charts to figure out how to maximize Inspiration at each level breakpoint. Both crafting costs (GP & XP) scale directly with item price, so if 1Insp pays for 100GP, then 1Insp should also pay for 25XP. That way your players will "only" have to multiply item costs by 5/8 to figure out how much Inspiration they need to spend.

You make a good point. I've changed the gp value of Inspiration to 100 flat, and the xp value to 25.

I would get rid of the SLAs associated with Sand Shape (wall of stone, wall of iron, etc). I don't think the SLAs are making much of a difference, but their inclusion makes for a weird contrast. They are the only abilities with concrete encounter uses in a sea full of open-endedness, but they're not central at all to the class's theme. Since open-endedness is what is so cool about this class in the first place, I think players will be better off if the SLAs are removed.

Done. The Wall spells were a relic of the class's initial design, before I added its "spellcasting" mechanic.

Hopefully the class is a little cleaner now.