PDA

View Full Version : Ancients paladin weapon/feat setup?

hwem
2018-08-12, 02:55 PM
Sorry for asking another question but I’d appreciate your help regarding my ancients paladin. For ancients if I’m not going quarterstaff and shield (just don’t like how it looks), which of the following would be better mechanically?
- Longsword and shield with sentinel
- Greatsword with GWM and/or sentinel
- Polearm with PAM and sentinel

CTurbo
2018-08-12, 03:09 PM
Mechanically speaking Quarterstaff with PAM and Sentinel but don't be that guy.

I'd go Sword and Board with Sentinel all the way. I'd only consider GWM on a Vengeance or Devotion.

hwem
2018-08-12, 03:15 PM
Thanks. I know quarterstaff with shield is amazing with Pam and sentinel but I just don’t like...quarterstaff lol. I do like a giant halberd or Longsword and shield though. So you’re sayin you’d go with option 1 over option 3, correct? Thanks as always.

Blood of Gaea
2018-08-12, 03:20 PM
Personally, I would go with PAM and sentinel. You can tank well by stopping some enemies in their tracks, and the bonus attack gives you extra damage per turn, as well as more attacks to stack smites on if you want to do a hard nova round.

Quarterstaff and shield would look like this, but with a bigger stick.

https://youtu.be/LBgUkoWZvfA

CTurbo
2018-08-12, 03:21 PM
Thanks. I know quarterstaff with shield is amazing with Pam and sentinel but I just don’t like...quarterstaff lol. I do like a giant halberd or Longsword and shield though. So you’re sayin you’d go with option 1 over option 3, correct? Thanks as always.

Quarterstaff + shield is great mechanically, but it's REALLY lame. Like one of the lamest things you can do in 5e IMO.

Yes go option #1 over #3

If you want to go PAM + Sentinel, drop the shield and use 2 hands.

hwem
2018-08-12, 03:30 PM
Thanks. I may just play a fallen aasimar ancients who was born as a fallen with some darkness in his heart to truly inderstand the power and danger of the darkness and the importance of hope in preserving light and goodness. And I like having Longsword and shield for such character to protect. Maybe such is not as optimal as variant human or half elf with qs+s with sentinel and PAM but o like the flavor lol. And it’s still strong so yeah. Anyways thanks for your help!!

Angelalex242
2018-08-12, 04:37 PM
Ancients Paladins rock at antimagic, so don't forget mage slayer. Also, don't forget Charisma 20.

If you can afford it, Lucky is always good.

You generally want to be the guy the evil wizard calls for his brown robes when he sees you coming.

hwem
2018-08-12, 04:46 PM
Off topic question but is there a way to get any cleric to become an immortal much like how ancients paladin can become an immortal through his oath feature?

Ancients Paladins rock at antimagic, so don't forget mage slayer. Also, don't forget Charisma 20.

If you can afford it, Lucky is always good.

You generally want to be the guy the evil wizard calls for his brown robes when he sees you coming.

Thanks. I do plan on taking sentinel and getting CHA to 20 at least. I could take mage slayer but that would mean my STR would go up to 18, which I'm fine with TBH. If I don't take mage slayer, then I'd take STR to 20 as well.

Blood of Gaea
2018-08-12, 05:00 PM
Off topic question but is there a way to get any cleric to become an immortal much like how ancients paladin can become an immortal through his oath feature?
An Arcana Cleric can get Wish/Clone.

hwem
2018-08-12, 05:03 PM
An Arcana Cleric can get Wish/Clone.

Can Divine Intervention be used to make a cleric immortal much like how ancients paladin becomes an "undying sentinel"? Anyways, thanks regardless of the answers. I appreciate your help.

Blood of Gaea
2018-08-12, 06:23 PM
Can Divine Intervention be used to make a cleric immortal much like how ancients paladin becomes an "undying sentinel"? Anyways, thanks regardless of the answers. I appreciate your help.
Is it possible? Absolutely. But it depends on your DM, so I recommend discussing it with them outside of a session.

Angelalex242
2018-08-12, 07:30 PM

Thanks. I do plan on taking sentinel and getting CHA to 20 at least. I could take mage slayer but that would mean my STR would go up to 18, which I'm fine with TBH. If I don't take mage slayer, then I'd take STR to 20 as well.

If you're doing Adventure league, don't worry about Strength. Magic items will take care of it for you. Just focus on Charisma and get more feats.

Foxhound438
2018-08-12, 10:21 PM

I've always been partial to using divine intervention to "put sunbeam and sunburst on the cleric spell list where it damn well belongs", but I guess immortality is cool too.