PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class The Bumbling Half-wit

Ironsmith
2018-08-14, 04:08 PM
Half-Wit: The village idiot who somehow manages to bring down a dragon.

Class Features:

Hit Die: d6

Skill Points at 1st Level
(2 + Int modifier) × 4.

Skill Points at Each Additional Level
4 + Int modifier.

Alignment: Any.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A Half-Wit is proficient with simple weapons only.

Idiocy: A Half-Wit has a new ability score, hereafter referred to as "Idiocy", from which a good portion of its class features are derived. This score is at all times equal to 10-Intelligence. If Intelligence should be incremented at any time, such as when the Half-Wit is targeted with Fox's Cunning, Idiocy takes a corresponding hit; likewise, if Intelligence is decremented at any point, the Half-Wit's Idiocy rises to an equal degree. For gameplay purposes, a Half-Wit behaves as though they have a nonzero Intelligence score, even if their Intelligence drops to 0.

Ignorance: A Half-Wit "casts" spells, drawn from the spell list below. These spells do not need to be prepared ahead of time, and may be cast spontaneously, similar in nature to the Sorcerer. A Half-Wit must have an Idiocy equal to or greater than a spell's level to be able to cast it. Unlike most spellcasters, what the Half-Wit does is not actually magical; creatures with spell resistance and anti-magic effects do not hamper the Half-Wit's "spellcasting" abilities. The save DCs for these spells, where applicable, are Charisma-based.

Generally, the Half-Wit is unaware that using this ability is in any way strange, and having the impossibility of what's being done pointed out to him demands that the Half-Wit make a Will save (DC 10+Spell Level) or else end the spell prematurely.

Available Spells:
0: Resistance, Daze, Ghost Sound, Mending, Open/Close, Prestidigitation, Light, Disrupt Undead, Mage Hand
1: Endure Elements, Hold Portal, Protection from Good/Evil/Chaos/Law, Shield, Mage Armor, Unseen Servant, Comprehend Languages, Identify, True Strike, Charm Person, Ventriloquism, Erase, Expeditious Retreat, Jump, Magic Weapon
2: Arcane Lock, Obscure Object, Protection From Arrows, Resist Energy, Detect Thoughts, Locate Object, See Invisibility, Daze Monster, Hideous Laughter, Touch of Idiocy, Blur, Misdirection, Darkvision, Knock, Levitate, Rope Trick, Spider Climb
3: Dispel Magic, Nondetection, Protection from Energy, Phantom Steed, Arcane Sight, Tongues, Heroism, Rage, Suggestion, Displacement, Fly, Haste, Keen Edge, Greater Magic Weapon, Slow, Water Breathing
4: Dimensional Anchor, Remove Curse, Dimension Door, Minor Creation, Detect Scrying, Locate Creature, Charm Monster, Confusion, Crushing Despair, Lesser Geas, Shout, Greater Invisibility, Bestow Curse
5: Break Enchantment, Mage's Private Sanctum, Mage's Faithful Hound, Major Creation, Teleport, Contact Other Plane, Feeblemind, Mind Fog, False Vision, Blight, Fabricate, Overland Flight, Telekinesis, Permanency
6: Antimagic Field, Greater Dispel Magic, Repulsion, Legend Lore, True Seeing, Geas/Quest, Greater Heroism, Mass Suggestion, Mislead, Transformation
7: Sequester, Spell Turning, Instant Summons, Mage's Magnificent Mansion, Greater Teleport, Phase Door, Teleport Object, Greater Arcane Sight, Insanity, Control Weather, Reverse Gravity, Statue
8: Dimensional Lock, Mind Blank, Protection From Spells, Discern Location, Moment of Prescience, Antipathy, Mass Charm Monster, Irresistible Dance, Power Word Stun, Sympathy, Greater Shout, Sunburst, Screen, Clone
9: Freedom, Foresight, Power Word Kill, Time Stop, Wish

Level
Base Attack Bonus
Fort Save
Ref Save
Will Save
Special
Spells per day (0)

1st
Idiocy
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

2nd

-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

3rd

-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

4th

-
-
-
-
-
-
-

5th

-
-
-
-
-
-
-

6th

-
-
-
-
-
-

7th

-
-
-
-
-
-

8th

-
-
-
-
-

9th

-
-
-
-
-

10th

-
-
-
-

11th

-
-
-
-

12th
6/1

-
-
-

13th
6/1

-
-
-

14th
7/2

-
-

15th
7/2

-
-

16th
8/3

-

17th
8/3

-

18th
9/4

19th
9/4

20th
10/5

Spells Known:

Level

1st
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

2nd
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

3rd
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

4th
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

5th
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

6th
-
-
-
-
-
-

7th
-
-
-
-
-
-

8th
-
-
-
-
-

9th
-
-
-
-
-

10th
-
-
-
-

11th
-
-
-
-

12th
-
-
-

13th
-
-
-

14th
-
-

15th
-
-

16th
-

17th
-

18th

19th

20th

JeenLeen
2018-08-15, 03:30 PM
How is Idiocy used?

If spellcasting is based on it, then... it doesn't work since you need a minimum stat of 10 to cast, and the max Idiocy is 10 - Int. Even assuming you wave that restriction, using Idiocy means no bonus spells, which is annoying. I see the save DCs are explicitly Charisma-based, so it's not used for that.
If you plan to link it to spellcasting, I recommend making it equal to 18 - Int or 16 - Int, to give it a broader spectrum of possible values, akin to other ability scores.

Maybe you should also say they can use Idiocy to gain skill points instead of Intelligence. Just fluff it as natural talent or unexpected luck instead of actual trained skill.

Power-wise... I don't have a good sense for the class. Being able to bypass magic resistance and even anti-magic auras is very powerful. That he actually has Antimagic Aura makes it even moreso.
To be explicit, you should probably add the [Ex] tag to Idiocy and Ignorance.

having the impossibility of what's being done pointed out to him demands that the Half-Wit make a Will save (DC 10+Spell Level) or else end the spell prematurely.
This is a rather strong weakness to the spellcasting, although I reckon most foes won't think to use it... so not really useful.
If you modify the math for calculating Idiocy such that it can be above 10, I can see a class feature letting you choose one of your saves and apply Idiocy as a bonus to it. Maybe even all three, but that seems too good for a caster-type.

---

Does Ignorance suffer spell failure from wearing armor or shields?

Ironsmith
2018-08-15, 04:01 PM
How is Idiocy used?

If spellcasting is based on it, then... it doesn't work since you need a minimum stat of 10 to cast, and the max Idiocy is 10 - Int. Even assuming you wave that restriction, using Idiocy means no bonus spells, which is annoying. I see the save DCs are explicitly Charisma-based, so it's not used for that.
If you plan to link it to spellcasting, I recommend making it equal to 18 - Int or 16 - Int, to give it a broader spectrum of possible values, akin to other ability scores.

The criteria for casting spells as a Half-Wit is altered slightly, such that you need an Idiocy score equal to or greater than the level of spell being cast... in other words, you can do cantrips at Int 10, 1st-level spells at Int 9, etc.

Maybe you should also say they can use Idiocy to gain skill points instead of Intelligence. Just fluff it as natural talent or unexpected luck instead of actual trained skill.

Probably a good idea.

Power-wise... I don't have a good sense for the class. Being able to bypass magic resistance and even anti-magic auras is very powerful. That he actually has Antimagic Aura makes it even moreso.
To be explicit, you should probably add the [Ex] tag to Idiocy and Ignorance.

The general idea is that the Half-Wit, rather than having any genuine degree of control over reality, inadvertently breaks it every now and then. Anti-magic is an easy manifestation of that, as are abjurations in general ("was that supposed to do something?").

This is a rather strong weakness to the spellcasting, although I reckon most foes won't think to use it... so not really useful.

Realistically, if a character is given a weakness, and the weakness is well-publicized, players (and DMs, more than likely) are going to find excuses to exploit the weakness, in-character or out. So it'll probably see a lot of usage still, and might be considered good incentive to at least be a wise idiot.

If you modify the math for calculating Idiocy such that it can be above 10, I can see a class feature letting you choose one of your saves and apply Idiocy as a bonus to it. Maybe even all three, but that seems too good for a caster-type.

Maybe just applying it raw, such that an Idiocy score of 3 is equal to +3, on select Will saves? Something like that?

Does Ignorance suffer spell failure from wearing armor or shields?

I'm thinking no, since it's not necessarily intentional on the Half-Wit's part.

Anymage
2018-08-15, 04:18 PM
What's the overall idiom you're trying to draw from here? The simple, good hearted third son who succeeds where his older brothers failed? Or Bugs Bunny?

Neither really maps well to D&D. The first relies on folk wisdom and a pure heart to succeed, and requires a system where you can interact with the dragon using those traits instead of a conflict where it can bring its claws and breath to bear. Plus, as mentioned, he wins by using folk wisdom and a good heart instead of drooling on himself. The second requires the whole universe to operate according to cartoon principles, and will upset other people who come to the table expecting a more traditional game of knights and wizards.

Also, creating Idiocy as a stat seems pointless when you can just say that the highest level spell you can cast is (10-Int) and that you aren't incapacitated by Int 0. Although this creates bizarre game logic problems of its own. Rolling, sure, find a way to make that dumpstat into a positive. Point buy, incentivizing a dumpstat is a little odd but not horrible. However, in pointbuy, the lowest you can go is an 8. 6 if your race has an Int penalty, but they tend to have Cha penalties too. After that most people tend to improve their stats as they level. Encouraging people to find sources of Int drain and run headlong into them makes me wonder why. Even halfwits don't make a priority of becoming even more stupid.

Ironsmith
2018-08-15, 04:32 PM
What's the overall idiom you're trying to draw from here? The simple, good hearted third son who succeeds where his older brothers failed? Or Bugs Bunny?

Ever read 8-Bit Theatre? "In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed!" That kind of archetype/attitude. It's mostly meant as a comedic class, so I'm not too worried about how optimized it can be... though the ability to mesh with other classes would be a definite plus. As far as party structure goes, this guy would definitely be a shoe-in for "alternate caster", especially since he doesn't share a lot of the pitfalls Wizards, Sorcerers, Bards, Druids, and Clerics do, though he does come with his own baggage.

Neither really maps well to D&D. The first relies on folk wisdom and a pure heart to succeed, and requires a system where you can interact with the dragon using those traits instead of a conflict where it can bring its claws and breath to bear. Plus, as mentioned, he wins by using folk wisdom and a good heart instead of drooling on himself. The second requires the whole universe to operate according to cartoon principles, and will upset other people who come to the table expecting a more traditional game of knights and wizards.

If the point is a more traditional game of knights and wizards, there's no reason to not just forbid the use of the Half-Wit, especially since the entire concept of a professional idiot (as opposed to an idiotic professional) is inherently a joke-y one. Having a character that drags cartooniness into the room with him should be reserved for campaigns that are light-hearted to begin with.

Also, creating Idiocy as a stat seems pointless when you can just say that the highest level spell you can cast is (10-Int) and that you aren't incapacitated by Int 0. Although this creates bizarre game logic problems of its own. Rolling, sure, find a way to make that dumpstat into a positive. Point buy, incentivizing a dumpstat is a little odd but not horrible. However, in pointbuy, the lowest you can go is an 8. 6 if your race has an Int penalty, but they tend to have Cha penalties too. After that most people tend to improve their stats as they level. Encouraging people to find sources of Int drain and run headlong into them makes me wonder why. Even halfwits don't make a priority of becoming even more stupid.

I like to think it's more that it's a little more forgiving in terms of rolling up your abilities. If you get stuck with one that's just lousy (i.e. a 6), you have a place to put it that allows you to weaponize having such a low stat; in exchange, nothing else provides more than just a vanilla benefit (i.e. high Dexterity -> high AC). As for Int drain... someone running headlong into a source of Int drain seems incredibly stupid, yeah? So... does it not fit the class?

Draz74
2018-08-18, 07:54 AM

Jar-Jar Binks.