PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Dark Sun race conversions

exelsisxax
2018-08-17, 11:47 AM
I had the sudden urge to start a campaign featuring the crushing fight for survival that is basically everything you try to do on Athas. Unfortunately, races are pretty different and need converting.

1: Every race has psionic aptitude(allowing FCB to be used for PP gain)
2: Every race gains wild talent as a bonus feat, because everything is psionic on Athas(including at least 1 species of cactus!)
3: Every race has only their racial language as an automatic language, and spoken and written languages are treated as separate languages. Dark Sun is a high xenophobia and low literacy campaign setting

I've tried using the ARG race builder as a rough guide, but that never actually balanced things so I'm not too concerned about it. Racial languages are in parentheses.

Human (common/human) 8
0 +2 to any ability score
4 feat
4 skilled

Elf (elven) 11
0 2 dex, 2 int, -2 con
4 Quick thief: +2 perception, +2 stealth
1 low-light vision
2 endurance bonus feat
1 weapon familiarity
3? Dirty fighting: after making a successful melee attack, an elf can expend psionic focus as a swift or move action to make that target flat-footed.
Removed: elf immunities, elven magic

Half-elf (common/human) 13
0 humanoid(human and elf)
0 +2 to any
2 Keen senses: +2 perception
1 low-light vision
6 endurance, dodge, and mobility bonus feats
2 multitalented(one favored class CAN be a prestige class)
2 skill focus bonus feat
Removed: elf immunities

Dwarf (dwarf) 11
0 2 con, 2 wis, -2 cha
3 Hardy: +2 vs poison, spells, SLAs
-1 slow and steady
1 Weapon familiarity
2 darkvision 60’
3? Focus: dwarves have a specific, meaningful objective to complete at all times. They recieve a +1 circumstance bonus on d20 rolls to directly accomplish that focus, and a +4 racial bonus on will saves against any effects that would change their Focus in any way.
3? Resilience: as an immediate action, a dwarf can expend power points up to their level to reduce the damage of a single attack that has hit them by the PP spent. If they also expend psionic focus, they add their Con modifier to this amount.
Removed: Greed, Stonecunning, Hatred, Defense training

Halfling (halfling) 10
0 2 dex, 2 wis, -2 str
0 small, 20’ speed
2 perception skill bonus +2
1 fearless: +2 racial bonus vs fear
2 lucky: +1 racial bonus to saves(stacks with fearless)
1 Weapon familiarity +slings
4 acrobatics and climb skill bonus
1 carrion sense: scent, but only for corpses and severely wounded creatures
-2? feral: -2 to diplomacy checks due to being uncivilized cannibals
1 cannibal: can only eat meat, does not suffer chance of sickness from eating most races

Mul (common/human) 10
0 humanoid(dwarf and human)
2? 2 str, +2 any other, -2 cha
2? physical training: gain 4 strength or dex based skills as class skills. If they are already class skills, or later become class skills from another source, they instead gain a +1 racial bonus. You lose all of these benefits for skill uses that do not add a physical score ability modifier as a bonus.
1 low-light vision
2 endurance bonus feat
3 Hardy: +2 vs poison, spells, SLAs

Half-giant (common/human) 10
0 humanoid(giant)
0 2 str, 2 con, -2 int
6? Powerful Build: A half-giant is treated as one size larger for using and defending against combat maneuvers, size-restricted special attacks, and uses of intimidate whenever it is advantageous. A half-giant can use weapons designed for a creature one size larger without penalty. Half-giants are still medium creatures, so their size and reach are unchanged. The benefits of this racial trait stack with the effects of powers, abilities, and spells that change the subject’s size category.
2 toughness bonus feat
2 +2 survival

Thri-kreen (kreen) 13
3 Monstrous humanoid (60’ darkvision)
0 2 dex, 2 wis, -2 int
3? pair of 1d4 damage primary claw attacks on separate arms, can’t wield items
2 +1 natural armor
1 40’ base speed (+4 extra to jump)
3? Leaper: thri-kreen add their strength modifier if positive to jump checks. Additionally, as a free action during a charge you may spend 1 PP to turn by up to 45*. PP up to your character level can be spent doing so on your turn, and may be done multiple times during a charge if you are able.
2 elf immunities(sleep immune, +2 vs enchantment)
-1? Nonstandard armor: armor cost is doubled and have 1 additional ACP

Pterran (saurian) 7
0 Humanoid (reptilian)
0 2 cha, 2 con, -2 dex
1 natural bite attack 1d3 primary
6? Life paths: each Pterran chooses a life path at maturity. It cannot be changed.
Warrior: gain combat expertise as a bonus feat(ignoring prereqs), and a teamwork feat as a bonus feat. You can treat allies you can see as if they had your teamwork feats. For each other source that provides this effect, designate one of your teamwork feats that you provide to your allies in full. You gain acrobatics, climb, and escape artist as class skills or a +1 to each that is a class skill.
Druid: you gain wild empathy as a druid of your character level. You gain favored enemy [Defilers] with a static +2 bonus, that stacks with other favored enemy effects. You gain survival and K(nature) as class skills, or a +1 bonus to each that is a class skill.
Mind: does not count against the limit for a collective willingly joined. Can use empathy as a manifester of level 1. Gain diplomacy and sense motive as class skills, or a +1 bonus to each that is a class skill. Gain cushion the blow as a bonus feat if you meet the prerequisites.

Aarakocra (auran) 7
3 monstrous humanoid (darkvision 60’)
0 2 dex, 2 cha, -2 con
6 fly 40’ poor
1 talon 1d4 primary natural attack, only while flying but uses feet
2 skill focus(perception) bonus feat
-1 Lightweight: for determining whether a combat maneuver is possible, you are treated as if you were 1 size smaller for using and defending against them
-2? Undersized weapons: wields weapons as if 1 size smaller
-1? nonstandard armor, 1 more ACP and 50% more cost
-1 slow(20)

Humans are, as always, strong and very boring. Not really sure what I can add here, because the crunch is fitting the fluff. Is there a psionic thing humans are really good at?
Elves and halfs are mostly fine, just removed the elf immunities that they don't have on athas and the magic that doesn't really do anything. I'm not sure if fleet and endurance(to replicate elf run) are quite good enough replacements.
Dwarves are less Tolkien. Instead, they are OCD and eat crits for breakfast. My interpretation of focus is mechanically awkward, but I'm not sure how to make it more useful without being +X to everything.
Halflings aren't cute little people. They're cannibalistic savages. Are they savage and cannibalistic enough? Is there a better "eat people" mechanic that already exists that I can steal?

original races:
I don't really know what do to with Mul. They were originally "humans, but way better, but with LA" and LA is unacceptable. So right now they're just strong and boring. I'm thinking about unique ability scores, like +2 Str, +2 other or something similar. Might give them nonlethal damage conversion from wearing armor.
Half-giants just needed a touch-up to replace the psionic features they'd get for free, and the lack of natural psi powers. Might be better to just hand out another +2 con though - i'm not too worried about casters abusing that statline when there's no other benefit, and i'm fine with a fighter or two being strong.
Thri-kreen i'm pretty happy with. Might be uncomfortably strong on melee builds at low levels, but that's their thing. They can use PP inherently, and have a non-insane jump bonus now.
Pterrans. I like the life path thing. I might be valuing it totally wrong. I think the class in a box thing is cool, but dominates quite a bit. They don't really have anything else at the moment.
Aarakocra have too many traits! Flight is really good, does it actually merit a bunch of penalties? How do I make them not obviously the go-to for casters, because they don't suffer from the downsides?

I'd like more races to have ways of actually using their PP, even if they don't pick up a manifester level, I'm just leery of handing out psi-likes. Anyone have ideas?

Sir Brett Nortj
2018-08-19, 09:46 PM
I had the sudden urge to start a campaign featuring the crushing fight for survival that is basically everything you try to do on Athas. Unfortunately, races are pretty different and need converting.

1: Every race has psionic aptitude(allowing FCB to be used for PP gain)
2: Every race gains wild talent as a bonus feat, because everything is psionic on Athas(including at least 1 species of cactus!)
3: Every race has only their racial language as an automatic language, and spoken and written languages are treated as separate languages. Dark Sun is a high xenophobia and low literacy campaign setting

I've tried using the ARG race builder as a rough guide, but that never actually balanced things so I'm not too concerned about it. Racial languages are in parentheses.

Human (common/human) 8
0 +2 to any ability score
4 feat
4 skilled

Elf (elven) 10
0 2 dex, 2 int, -2 con
4 Quick thief: +2 perception, +2 stealth
1 low-light vision
4 enduranceand fleet bonus feats
1 weapon familiarity
Removed: elf immunities, elven magic

Half-elf (common/human) 11
0 humanoid(human and elf)
0 +2 to any
2 Keen senses: +2 perception
1 low-light vision
4 enduranceand fleet bonus feats
2 skill focus bonus feat
2 multitalented
Removed: elf immunities

Dwarf (dwarf) 8
0 2 con, 2 wis, -2 cha
3 Hardy
-1 slow&steady
1 Weapon familiarity
2 darkvision 60’
3? Focus: dwarves have a specific, meaningful objective to complete at all times. They recieve a +1 circumstance bonus on d20 rolls to directly accomplish that focus, and a +4 racial bonus on will saves against any effects that would change their Focus in any way.
3? Resistance: as an immediate action, a dwarf can expend psionic focus to halve one attack’s damage
Removed: Greed, Stonecunning, Hatred, Defense training

Halfling (halfling) 10
0 2 dex, 2 wis, -2 str
0 small, 20’ speed
2 perception skill bonus +2
1 fearless: +2 racial bonus vs fear
2 lucky: +1 racial bonus to saves(stacks with fearless)
1 Weapon familiarity +slings
4 acrobatics and climb skill bonus
1 carrion sense: scent, but only for corpses and severely wounded creatures
-2? feral: -2 to diplomacy checks due to being uncivilized cannibals
1 cannibal: can only eat meat, does not suffer chance of sickness from eating most races

Mul (common/human) 7
0 humanoid(dwarf and human)
0 2 str, 2 int, -2 cha
2 darkvision 60’
2 endurance
3 hardy

Half-giant (common/human) 10
0 humanoid(giant)
0 2 str, 2 wis, -2 dex
6? powerful build(also intimidate as if larger)
2 toughness
2 +2 survival

Thri-kreen (kreen) 11
3 Monstrous humanoid (60’ darkvision)
0 2 dex, 2 wis, -2 int
3? 2 claw arms, can’t use items but can hold them for easy access
2 +1 natural armor
1 40’ base speed (+4 extra to jump)
1 Leap: add STR bonus if positive to all jump checks, spend 1 pp to have a running start
2 elf immunities(sleep immune, +2 vs enchantment)

Pterran (saurian) 7
0 Humanoid (reptilian)
0 2 cha, 2 con, -2 dex
1 natural bite attack 1d3 primary
6? Life paths: each Pterran chooses a life path at maturity. It cannot be changed.
Warrior: gain combat expertise as a bonus feat(ignoring prereqs), and a teamwork feat as a bonus feat. You can treat allies you can see as if they had your teamwork feats. For each other source that provides this effect, designate one of your teamwork feats that you provide to your allies in full. You gain acrobatics, climb, and escape artist as class skills or a +1 to each that is a class skill.
Druid: you gain wild empathy as a druid of your character level. You gain favored enemy [Defilers] with a static +2 bonus, that stacks with other favored enemy effects. You gain survival and K(nature) as class skills, or a +1 bonus to each that is a class skill.
Mind: does not count against the limit for a collective willingly joined. Can use empathy as a manifester of level 1. Gain diplomacy and sense motive as class skills, or a +1 bonus to each that is a class skill. Gain cushion the blow as a bonus feat if you meet the prerequisites.

Aarakocra (auran) 7
3 monstrous humanoid (darkvision 60’)
0 2 dex, 2 cha, -2 con
6 fly 40’ poor
1 talon 1d4 primary natural attack, only while flying but uses feet
2 skill focus(perception) bonus feat
-1 Lightweight: for determining whether a combat maneuver is possible, you are treated as if you were 1 size smaller for using and defending against them
-2? Undersized weapons: wields weapons as if 1 size smaller
-1 slow(20)

Humans are, as always, strong and very boring. Not really sure what I can add here, because the crunch is fitting the fluff. Is there a psionic thing humans are really good at?
Elves and halfs are mostly fine, just removed the elf immunities that they don't have on athas and the magic that doesn't really do anything. I'm not sure if fleet and endurance(to replicate elf run) are quite good enough replacements.
Dwarves are less Tolkien. Instead, they are OCD and eat crits for breakfast. My interpretation of focus is mechanically awkward, but I'm not sure how to make it more useful without being +X to everything.
Halflings aren't cute little people. They're cannibalistic savages. Are they savage and cannibalistic enough? Is there a better "eat people" mechanic that already exists that I can steal?

original races:
I don't really know what do to with Mul. They were originally "humans, but way better, but with LA" and LA is unacceptable. So right now they're just strong and boring. I'm thinking about unique ability scores, like +2 Str, +2 other or something similar. Might give them nonlethal damage conversion from wearing armor.
Half-giants just needed a touch-up to replace the psionic features they'd get for free, and the lack of natural psi powers. Might be better to just hand out another +2 con though - i'm not too worried about casters abusing that statline when there's no other benefit, and i'm fine with a fighter or two being strong.
Thri-kreen i'm pretty happy with. Might be uncomfortably strong on melee builds at low levels, but that's their thing. They can use PP inherently, and have a non-insane jump bonus now.
Pterrans. I like the life path thing. I might be valuing it totally wrong. I think the class in a box thing is cool, but dominates quite a bit. They don't really have anything else at the moment.
Aarakocra have too many traits! Flight is really good, does it actually merit a bunch of penalties? How do I make them not obviously the go-to for casters, because they don't suffer from the downsides?

I'd like more races to have ways of actually using their PP, even if they don't pick up a manifester level, I'm just leery of handing out psi-likes. Anyone have ideas?

While I am really busy at the moment, your thread made me revert back to second edition psions, when it had it's own private system, for my game, thanks!

Otherwise, we really are in Athas, pleased to meet you... hey! Yes we are... I need my pills now, I am shaking again... hey! :smallsmile:

Kyrell1978
2018-08-22, 09:07 AM
First of all I gotta say I LOVE THIS. Now that that's over. I'm not sure that a +2 to a Muls int fits the fluff. Look at Rikus from the books as the standard Mul. He was strong and tough but not overly smart (not stupid either) and a bit rough around the edges (definitely neg to charisma). I'd go with the second plus to con. or perhaps to wis. (he did show remarkable will against psionic attacks at times, but I would lean toward that being his wild talent) if you want it static. Another possibility (as muls were a mix of dwarves and humans and take the best traits from both) would be to give the mul the standard dwarf +2 con, -2 cha, and give them a floating +2 to play with. I'd personally halve their darkvision range and give them a choice of dwarven or common for languages as well.

For the dwarven focus you might just modify the ranger favored enemy entry, but a lot of that is going to be by DM discretion.

The half giants you used are based on the ones out of the psionics guide I believe (I could be wrong), whereas in the fluff the half giants were mostly big stupid fighter types (it surely doesn't bother me though, I always thought that they were portrayed poorly).

Everything else looks super solid. Great job. Also, if you make an elfling I might be your best friend. LOL.

exelsisxax
2018-09-09, 01:36 PM
made some updates.

gave elves a way to flat-foot in melee, because they earned their reputation as backstabbing thieves
gave half-elves dodge and mobility, because you better be good at dodging when everybody hates you
changed dwarf traits a bit to make them scale off Con more

Gave Mul a better, flexible attribute method and a bunch of physical skills/bonuses. Now you can be a dwarf, but don't have to be a dwarf.
Half-giant bonuses are now all physical. They aren't very good for anything that doesn't smash things.
thri-kreen can now do nonlinear charges instead of only being the best at jumping