PDA

View Full Version : Ancients Vengeance paladin: STR vs DEX

kenGarff
2018-08-17, 05:08 PM
For a vengeance or ancients oath, would str based build work better than dex build? I think ancients in particular would be better off with dex build that had a rapier and shield with a bow as a backup. What do you guys think? How is dex build for these oaths from mechanical standpoint?

Thanks as always evefybody!

CTurbo
2018-08-17, 05:13 PM
For a vengeance or ancients oath, would str based build work better than dex build? I think ancients in particular would be better off with dex build that had a rapier and shield with a bow as a backup. What do you guys think? How is dex build for these oaths from mechanical standpoint?

Thanks as always evefybody!

Nothing wrong with Dex Paladins. You'll only be down 1 AC from your typical Str Plate wearing Paladin. Mechanically speaking, it's better to have a higher Dex since Dex is general more important or at least more widely used/contested.

Keep in mind you'd still need a 13 Str to be able to multiclass.

kenGarff
2018-08-17, 05:17 PM
Yeah. I don’t intend to multiclass. I gotinterested in the revenant blade feat with that double blade (Drow or shader kai...probably Drow since I like the redeemed Drow concept) for a dex paladin. And I thought other than some AC difference dex may be better than STR...esp for ancients. I guess Vengeance with str build tar uses GWM and PAM would still be better than dex build with revenant blade but at least ancients....

CTurbo
2018-08-17, 05:23 PM
Yeah. I don’t intend to multiclass. I gotinterested in the revenant blade feat with that double blade (Drow or shader kai...probably Drow since I like the redeemed Drow concept) for a dex paladin. And I thought other than some AC difference dex may be better than STR...esp for ancients. I guess Vengeance with str build tar uses GWM and PAM would still be better than dex build with revenant blade but at least ancients....

Keep in mind that the Drow's sunlight sensitivity can be killer. A redeemed Drow Paladin is really flavorful though.

The Revenant Blade with Double Scimitar sounds great. Paladins don't have a lot of room for many feats though so choose widely. You're going to want Dex and Cha to 18 at least of not 20 each.

I played a Halfling Dex Vengeance Paladin and he was a great character. I used a Scimitar of Speed and took the Defensive Duelist feat and Magic Initiate for some utility cantrips and a familiar. I rolled for stats though so I was not as ASI dependent as most Paladins would be.

kenGarff
2018-08-17, 05:39 PM
For ancients paladin with Drow or Shadar Kai, I could afford to have 18 in STR and 20 in Charisma to have room for two feats: Revenant blade and sentinel.

For vengeance paladin with Drow or Shadar Kai, I could afford to have 20 in STR and 16 in CHA to have 3 feats: Revenant blade and resilience CON since GWM and PAM don't apply to double blade scimitar. However, I am not really sure if this dex based OotV is better than its STR counterpart though.

I like both ideas of a badass heavy plate armor wearing paladin as well as half plate armor wearing mobile paladin XD

Blood of Gaea
2018-08-17, 07:46 PM
Do you want to use two-handed weapons? Then you need strength.

Do you want to multiclass? Then you probably want strength.

Do you want to grapple or shove? Then you want strength.

Otherwise, dex will work, unless you're multiclassing Hexblade, then you want 15 strength or 13 strength and 14 dexterity exactly.