PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Modern Hunter

Ranikirn.
2018-08-18, 12:26 PM
That's my first try to create a new archetype. Modern Hunter takes place in a steampunk world of my creation. I'm not sure of its balance so I ask you to tell me what u think:

MODERN HUNTER:
Your skills and knowledge in the field of modern engineering allow you to create and modify devices and weapons to be used in battle. When you choose this archetype the ranger must buy a book (worth 25gp) that he uses to transcribe all his projects. If the book is lost the ranger must spend 1 workweek and 50gp in materials to recreate it.

MODERN HUNTER FEATURE:

3rd - Engineering knowledge, Schematic: Hunt Enhancement
7th - Civilization Knowledge
11th - Schematic: Support Equipment
15th - Schematic: Defensive Tools

MODERN HUNTER SPELLS

3rd - Tenser’s Floating Disk
5th - Magic Weapon
9th - Protection from energy
13th - Fabricate
17th - Creation

ENGINEERING KNOWLEDGE
Starting at level 3, when you choose this archetype, you gain proficiency with forgery kit and tinker's tools.

SCHEMATIC: HUNT ENHANCEMENT (I'm thinking about to add some firearms too)
Starting at level 3 you can choose 1 of the inventions listed below and add it to your book:

Repetitive crossbow. Spending 1 workweek you can build this crossbow that shoots up to 6 bolts before being reloaded. The cost to modify the weapon is 80gp.

Double Bow. It can be both a long and a short bow. This bow can shoot 2 arrows at the same time. Tapping an arrow on the second string requires a bonus action. The double hit must be directed to a single creature, it is not possible to choose 2 different creatures. The character that roll a die to hit has a -2 penalty on the second arrow. If the attack is a critic, only one arrow causes additional damage. Spending 1 workweek you can create this bow, the cost to modify the weapon is 50gp.

Composite bow. Spending 1 workweek you can build this weapon composed by two short swords that can be used if necessary. With a bonus action the ranger can split the bow and create 2 already held shortswords. The cost to create this weapon is 80gp (Requires 2 short swords and 1 short or long bow).

CIVILIZATION KNOWLEDGE
Starting at level 7 you can choose 1 of the feature listed below:

Urban Explorer. The ranger applies the Natural Explorer bonus to urban locations such as villages and cities.

Engineering Awareness. The ranger can detect the presence of constructs when he uses Primordial Awareness.

SCHEMATIC: SUPPORT EQUIPMENT
Starting at level 11 you can choose 1 of the inventions listed below and add it to your book:

Indestructible arrows. This arrow can not be destroyed unless the enemy has resistance to piercing damage. As part of a short rest you can create up to 5 indestructible arrows. As part of a long rest you can create 20. You must have enough iron to produce them.

Blinding grenade. As part of a long rest you can create 1 blinding grenade by spending 50gp of materials. With an action you can launch the grenade up to 20 feets, all creatures within 1,5 feets of the center must make a constitution saving throw (CD 13) or be blinded until the end of the next ranger's turn.

Optical sight. Spending 1 workweek and 50gp in materials the ranger can create a crosshairs that can be used on crossbows. The weapon gets a +1 on shots to hit and damage.

SCHEMATIC: DEFENSIVE TOOLS
Starting at level 15 you can choose 1 of the inventions listed below and add it to your book:

Shield generator. As a reaction the ranger can use the spell shield. This feature can be used a number of times equal to the ranger's wisdom modifier (or intelligence?).

Bow Shields. This curved shield can be applied to any bow and adds +2 to the ranger's AC. The shield can be applied to a composite bow, when the ranger uses the bonus action to split the bow it gets a sword and a shield instead of two swords.

Displacer. As a reaction the ranger can teleport within 20 feets in a point that he can see without causing opportunity attack. This feature can be used a number of times equal to the ranger's wisdom modifier (or intelligence?).

JackPhoenix
2018-08-18, 12:48 PM
This belongs to the homebrew forum.

Leaving the question of plausibility aside, what stops anyone else from using this stuff? It should be part of the equipment list, not a subclass.

Ranikirn.
2018-08-18, 01:04 PM
This belongs to the homebrew forum.

Ye my bad, ill ask to move it.

Leaving the question of plausibility aside, what stops anyone else from using this stuff? It should be part of the equipment list, not a subclass.
That's true. I wanted to create something similar to the homebrew school of invention. I think i'll have to change a lot of things so.

stoutstien
2018-08-18, 01:06 PM
I like the idea of the class but maybe Rogue would be a better chassis for it.
Starting with level three feature the repeating crossbow doesn't have any limitations on it so can it be applied to any type of crossbow?
What happens if you lose half of your Transformer bow/sword?

Something to use for inspiration
there's a home-brewed artificer class floating around on gm binder done by kibbles tasty that has a amazing gear focus sub class that you could look at.

Ranikirn.
2018-08-18, 01:23 PM
I like the idea of the class but maybe Rogue would be a better chassis for it.

Maybe you are right. I'll think about.

Starting with level three feature the repeating crossbow doesn't have any limitations on it so can it be applied to any type of crossbow?
What happens if you lose half of your Transformer bow/sword?
could look at.
Yes, u can modify any crossobow and enhance it in a machine crossbow.
if you lose a weapon piece you can spend 1/3 of the time required to build it to fix it. Or maybe u can use the tinker's tools to fix it. Another point to think about.

Something to use for inspiration
there's a home-brewed artificer class floating around on gm binder done by kibbles tasty that has a amazing gear focus sub class that you could look at.
i'll take a look, thanks :smallwink: