PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Advice on my Sentient Wizard Spellbook

endertech74
2018-08-18, 11:08 PM
My 4 level 3 players are about to take down a goblin who found a Sentient wizard spell book that allowed the goblin to become a relatively power wizard.

Once they defeat the goblin, I want them to encounter the book, and RP with it. The book is evil, wants to take over the world. The players are either good or neutral. I may solve my issue by just having the book refuse to work with anyone who isn't evil or lawful evil.

I'm hoping to steer them into destroying the book via a magical pool I've already given them (that destroys evil things!), or like sell it or something. However, if they DO end up taking and using the book, I want it to not be too over-powered. So without further ado, I present...[fun name of sentient spell book]!

Fun name of sentient spell book (Requires attunement)

Vast Intellect: Attuning to this item increases your intellect score by +2. You lose this benefit if you are no longer in possession of the book, or someone else touches it. (I'm also considering having this SET intellect to 18-20, for the fun RP implications with the barbarian. the goblin used this ability to get smart enough to become a great wizard)

Detect good and evil: As an action, the [Name] can cast the spell detect good and evil. The book must be held in one hand or otherwise have view of its surroundings, and the book holds the concentration for this spell. This ability cannot be used again until a long rest.

Borrowed Knowledge: You can spend ten minutes to change one of your prepared spells or spells known to a spell in the [Name]. The spell must be for a level that you have spell slots. If you do not have spell slots, you gain one 1st level spell slot, and may use this ability to fill it. You can only have access to one [Name] spell at a time, and you do not regain access to your original prepared spell until you choose to during a long rest and give up or change your [Name] spell. You cannot use this ability again until you take a long rest.

Spell list: This can be downsized as needed, or could make the sentient aspect of the book 'hold back' some of the spells, for some reason.

Cantrips (at will): mage hand, minor illusion, firebolt

1st level (4 slots): color spray, mage armor, sleep, magic missile, shield, expeditious retreat, silent image, thunderwave, disguise self

2nd level (3 slots): misty step, invisibility, hold person, arcane lock

3rd level (2 slots): counterspell, fireball, dispel magic, slow, glyph of warding

KittenMagician
2018-08-18, 11:51 PM
My 4 level 3 players are about to take down a goblin who found a Sentient wizard spell book that allowed the goblin to become a relatively power wizard.

Once they defeat the goblin, I want them to encounter the book, and RP with it. The book is evil, wants to take over the world. The players are either good or neutral. I may solve my issue by just having the book refuse to work with anyone who isn't evil or lawful evil.

I'm hoping to steer them into destroying the book via a magical pool I've already given them (that destroys evil things!), or like sell it or something. However, if they DO end up taking and using the book, I want it to not be too over-powered. So without further ado, I present...[fun name of sentient spell book]!

Vast Intellect: Attuning to this item increases your intellect score by +2. You lose this benefit if you are no longer in possession of the book, or someone else touches it. (I'm also considering having this SET intellect to 18-20, for the fun RP implications with the barbarian. the goblin used this ability to get smart enough to become a great wizard)

Detect good and evil: As an action, the [Name] can cast the spell detect good and evil. The book must be held in one hand or otherwise have view of its surroundings, and the book holds the concentration for this spell. This ability cannot be used again until a long rest.

Borrowed Knowledge: You can spend ten minutes to change one of your prepared spells or spells known to a spell in the [Name]. The spell must be for a level that you have spell slots. If you do not have spell slots, you gain one 1st level spell slot, and may use this ability to fill it. You can only have access to one [Name] spell at a time, and you do not regain access to your original prepared spell until you choose to during a long rest and give up or change your [Name] spell. You cannot use this ability again until you take a long rest.

Spell list: This can be downsized as needed, or could make the sentient aspect of the book 'hold back' some of the spells, for some reason.

1st level (4 slots): color spray, mage armor, sleep, magic missile, shield, expeditious retreat, silent image, thunderwave, disguise self

3rd level (2 slots): counterspell, fireball, dispel magic, slow, glyph of warding

i think it could be fun to make it "cursed" by making it so they cant get rid of it unless it willingly leaves or is destroyed (magic pool you mentioned). the players sell it and it just reappears in their backpack. also maybe since it is sentient why not allow the players a chance to convert it to good or at least neutral. having it set int to 18-20 would be hilarious for the barabarian, i am a big dumb barbarian player myself. also if the book does stick around it could be able to learn more spells on its own without having a player or npc inscribe them. i like the idea over all except for the detect good and evil cast by the book. i understand that is so the book can decide not to work with good people but i dont think its all that necessary. as far as a name for the book i suggest something long and complicated that the players cant remember so they end up giving the book a nickname. also maybe dont let the players know its evil, its just obstinate and uncooperative to goody goody two shoes

Avigor
2018-08-19, 04:24 AM
Remember, 5e detect good and evil doesn't detect mortal alignment auras (afaik 5e mortals lack such), the spell only detects certain creature types. I'd suggest just give it Arcana expertise and telepathy instead.

Cantrips are innate to the caster, not in a spellbook. Might be fun for the book to be able to ritual cast unseen servant to move itself around though.

If the book is supposed to be evil, it should have a more evil flavored spell list, maybe some necromancy, maybe fluff that spells prepared from it have an evil appearance (all fireballs from it have a fiendish visage, for example). Making it count as an arcane focus (possibly with bonuses when used as such) could allow this to effect more spells.

Also, look up "The Magic of Books" on dmsguild (on my phone so linking is a royal pain, sorry) for some more free inspiration.

Gorum
2018-08-19, 06:54 AM

Well, nothing says "evil book" like Necronomicron, so maybe play on that name like Arcanomicron?

Nothing would prevent the book from giving "whichever is best" between 16 Int and +2 Int.

Finally, I would not allow the book to talk. Instead, it tries to corrupt the user into free casts.

Market is overcrowded?
Opens to "Cone of Fear"

Mild riot?
Opens to "Fireball"

Haggling on a price?
How about suggestion?

Starving kid stealing food?
Hold Person seems right.

As the book gets satisfied with the owner, it gives points which can be spent as spell levels. If the spells given this way are used for good (like Remove Curse for free on someone who is not the user's ally), the spell fizzles in an harmful way.

endertech74
2018-08-19, 08:38 AM
Finally, I would not allow the book to talk. Instead, it tries to corrupt the user into free casts.

As the book gets satisfied with the owner, it gives points which can be spent as spell levels. If the spells given this way are used for good (like Remove Curse for free on someone who is not the user's ally), the spell fizzles in an harmful way.

I actually love that. I wrote an ability to replace the "Borrowed Knowledge" section:

Unknown Insight: As a bonus action, you can open the Tome and try to read one of the spells within. The Tome chooses which spell to make available to you. As an action, you can cast the spell it provides, as if you had cast the spell. You cannot try to read one of the spells again until you take a short or long rest. You cannot cast a spell in this way again until you take a long rest. The Tome may also suggest spells to you from time to time on its own.

Maybe keep track of how many times it gets used, and a stacking penalty or something they don't realize?

Inchoroi
2018-08-19, 09:54 AM
Sentient magic items are the most fun, in my opinion, when there's the somewhat slow, unnoticed slide into abhorrent evil. The goblin could have gone a little faster, given that its a goblin and would have been easily dominated by the book, but the characters would have a bit of a harder time. I would also never provide a handout for the book's abilities; I would have the book RP with the party, and lie to them about itself, if necessary; it has a Charisma score, after all.

I actually love that. I wrote an ability to replace the "Borrowed Knowledge" section:

Unknown Insight: As a bonus action, you can open the Tome and try to read one of the spells within. The Tome chooses which spell to make available to you. As an action, you can cast the spell it provides, as if you had cast the spell. You cannot try to read one of the spells again until you take a short or long rest. You cannot cast a spell in this way again until you take a long rest. The Tome may also suggest spells to you from time to time on its own.

Maybe keep track of how many times it gets used, and a stacking penalty or something they don't realize?

Also this.

Grimoire Noir
Wondrous item, artifact (requires attunement)
The contents of this assuming, small, black leather book are bizarre-seeming arcane runes and strange symbols that defy understanding. The vellum pages are obviously old, but the inks are still, unnaturally, vibrant.

Tutor. Grimoire Noir can act as a tutor for a creature to learn levels in the Wizard class, and contains all the spells it lists in its Spells trait, written in Abyssal and Infernal. Grimoire Noir also may know even higher level spells, at the DM's discretion. In addition, it provides a +2 bonus to an attuned creature's spell save DC as well as spell attack modifier.

Spells. While attuned to Grimoire Noir, you can use an action to cast the spells Noir provides you; you do not require material components to cast the spells Noir provides. The book has 20 charges for the following spells; in addition, you can expend your own spell slots to cast these spells, if you possess them. In cases where you do not have spell slots, Grimoire Noir allows you to use its Intelligence as your spellcasting ability to determine spell save DC and spell attack modifier (with the benefits of the Tutor trait above). Grimoire Noir regains 2d8 + 4 expended charges daily at midnight. If you expend the last charge, roll a d20. On a 1-10, Grimoire Noir reduces your hit point maximum by 2d8 + 4, and then regains an equal number of charges.

Grimoire Noir allows you to cast the following spells: animate dead (3 charges), arcane lock (2 charges), bestow curse (3 charges), blade ward (0 charges), blight (4 charges), blindness/deafness (2 charges), charm person (1 charge), chill touch (0 charges), chromatic orb (1 charge), comprehend languages (1 charge), counterspell (3 charges), darkness (2 charges), detect magic (0 charges), detect thoughts (2 charges), dispel magic (3 charges), Evard's black tentacles (4 charges), false life (1 charge), fear (3 charges), featherfall (1 charge), fireball (3 charges), fly (3 charges), friends (0 charges), geas (5 charges), gentle repose (2 charges), identify (1 charge), knock (2 charges), lightning bolt (3 charges), mage armor (1 charge), mage hand (0 charges), magic missile (1 charge), modify memory (5 charges), Nystul's magic aura (2 charges), prestidigitation (0 charges), ray of enfeeblement (2 charges), ray of frost (0 charges), ray of sickness (1 charge), shield (1 charge), sleep (1 charge), slow (3 charges), spider climb (2 charges), and suggestion (2 charges).

Sentience. Grimoire Noir is a sentient book of lawful evil alignment, with an Intelligence of 20, a Wisdom of 14, and a Charisma of 16. It has hearing and darkvision out to a range of 120 feet.

The book communicates telepathically, and can read and understand Abyssal and Infernal. Its telepathic communications are unnaturally deep and resonant, an orator's voice full of confidence.

Personality. Noir is a subtle, clever manipulator. It zealously pursues its goal: the complete domination of the world, as it sees only its version of civilization as the rightful way to rule. It will attempt to steer its carrier towards those ends, and even, should the carrier be more stubborn or resistant than it expects, force the carrier to complete its goals. It has complete control to deny or provide its benefits, at any level it wishes, to further those ends, and can even cast the spells from its Spells trait, using its Intelligence as its spellcasting ability (which also benefits from its Tutor trait), to defend itself or compel those it feels is too valuable to be allowed to have free will. Because of its own abilities, it is partial to spellcasters, particularly wizards or sorcerers. If it has such a carrier, it will do anything in its power to prevent the spellcaster from breaking attunement, causing a conflict between Noir and the attuned carrier.

Bonus Points: Where did the name come from?

endertech74
2018-08-20, 03:46 PM
Update: I've revised the item quite a bit, for further comment. Let me know what you think! I won't be providing a full item information card, and will have other abilities and things the item does that I determine, but these are the abilities the players will get once they attune to the item.

Mindful Trade: Attuning to this item increases your intellect score to 20. For the total number of point your intelligence increases, lower your next two highest stats by an amount that equals this total. If you lose possession of the Tome, you lose this bonus and revert to your original scores. [ALSO, considering applying some kind of penalty if they lose/unattune the Tome].

Detect alignment: As an action you can touch another creature while holding the Tome and know the creature's current emotional state. If the target fails a DC 10 Charisma saving throw, you also knows the creature's alignment. This ability cannot be used again until a short or long rest.

Unknown Insight: As a bonus action, you can open the Tome and try to read one of the spells within. The Tome chooses which spell to make available to you. As an action, you can cast the spell it provides, as if you had cast the spell, using your proficiency and intelligence. You cannot try to read one of the spells again until you take a short or long rest. You cannot cast a spell in this way again until you take a long rest. The Tome may also suggest spells to you from time to time on its own.