PDA

View Full Version : Planning ahead, MC0ing my druid into a cleric after a few more levels... can't decide

samcifer
2018-08-20, 03:26 PM
So we're playing an evil campaign starting our characters at lv. 8 and rolled 4d6 (best 3) stats. I went with a firbolg (+1 STR, +2 WIS) moon druid and took Resilient CON and +1 each to WIS and DEX with the following final stats:

Str: 12, Dex: 15, Con: 16, Int: 11, Wis: 18, Cha: 12, AC: 18 (Spiked armor + shield)

So I have to admit that after lv. 10, the class seems to lose some appeal to me. We likely won't reach lv. 18 to make the most of the sub-class and basic class abilities and the spells seem okay, but not 'must-haves' for me, so I'm considering multiclassing into cleric. I'm torn between Arcane and Light, Arcane because we have no one proficient in it in the group and Light for AoE damage, which no one has either. Getting Fire Bolt and Minor Illusion sound tempting, as does the Arcane prof. and Magic Missile, but I've played Light before on a different moon druid/light cleric build and really enjoyed the subclass combination.

The rest of the party consists of: A Fallen Assmir Oathbreaker paladin who worships the devil now and is selfish, so he's not likely to help other players (it IS an evil campaign, after all) who focuses on the polearm sentinel playstyle, A half-orc Totem barbarian/champion fighter focused on criting and two-handed weapons, a (bird-people - forget their name) monk (not sure which tradition), and a human battlemaster fighter/rogue (not sure which subclass) in addition to my character. We lack both arcane prof. as well as AoE abilities as such, which leaves me undecided on which route to go as the extra cantrips would really help and Mag Mis guarantees a few hits even if they aren't very powerful... but light was sooo much fun to play!

Any advice on which route to go?

(and to anyone who suggests Heroes' Feast, my character is a cannibal, so the rest of the party wouldn't want him cooking. >.< Tempted to work in an offer to cook for the party as a joke at some point.)

Vogie
2018-08-21, 08:42 AM
If you really want arcana prof, there's only one option

If you want some more AOE without Con/Dex saves, I'd suggest Death Cleric. That allows you to twin Necromancy cantrips, such as Chill touch (d8, ranged spell attack, stops regenerating, 120 ft) or Toll the dead (d8, or d12 if target is wounded, wisdom saving throw, 60ft). On a single-target focus, you can use the Channel divinity on a melee attack, even while wild shaped.

samcifer
2018-08-21, 10:13 AM
If you really want arcana prof, there's only one option

If you want some more AOE without Con/Dex saves, I'd suggest Death Cleric. That allows you to twin Necromancy cantrips, such as Chill touch (d8, ranged spell attack, stops regenerating, 120 ft) or Toll the dead (d8, or d12 if target is wounded, wisdom saving throw, 60ft). On a single-target focus, you can use the Channel divinity on a melee attack, even while wild shaped.

I briefly considered Death, but as I'm assuming that we'll be lucky to get to lv. 15, I doubt I'll get much use out of Death as I won't likely get the lv. 6 effect. Also, Death feels as if it clashes too much with Nature in feel and abilities.

The group's paladin worships Baphomet and wants to destroy all other religions, so I was forming the idea of being 'converted' by him to Baphomet worship and the light, if I go that route, would be an odd 'dark' light that is purple or an unsettling bluish white color.

samcifer
2018-08-24, 12:34 PM
Wondering if anyone else had thoughts on this?