PDA

View Full Version : What is the silliest thing...

eidreff
2007-09-13, 04:09 PM
What's the silliest thing a RPG group you've gm'd for has done, or if your a player whats the silliest thing a GM has sprung on you.

For me, the party i was running a campaign for had sneaked sucessfully all the way through a bandit lair (LOTS of bandits), they had got to the very top of the bandit keep and crept into the leader's bedroom to find them asleep. For some reason they decided to wake up the bandit leader who screamed for help. This leaves them with LOTS of bandits climbing the stairs to the tower. They dropped the bed over the trapdoor (i was lenient and made it a four poster made of mahogany) to get a bit of time. Axes were brought to bear by the bandits... Clock ticking away... and a heated discusion took place between the players. I was quite impressed by their grasp of the "we've got to do something special to get out of this" kind of situation.

What happened next burned itself into my memory.

As one they all looked at me. and asked in turn. Is the tower near the castle walls? How high is the tower? Can we get on the roof? What kind of matress is on te bed? And finally Could we all fit on the matress?

I was gobsmacked, they had all had the same idea at the same time, they went ahead, clmbered onto the roof, took hold of the matress and jumped!...

The worst a GM has done to me were the little old lady monster and the Dire Granny (nastier than the little old lady monster and armed with knitting needles)

GimliFett
2007-09-13, 04:22 PM
Silliest thing my players have done in a game I ran?
Shadowrun. First mission. Hired to extract a guy from a corporate New Year's Party. They had disguises, a way in and a way out, and a route to a safehouse. So whadda they do? Make up a new plan. Get pinched inside of 5 minutes into the extraction, lead corporate goons on a chase through Seattle, murder (yep, murder) the chief of security's brother (whom they'd taken hostage because he was in the way) when they come across a Seattle PD cruiser on his dinner break, and basically invite the corporate security heavy hitters back to the safehouse (mage did a search for the brother and located his corpse within the base). Then managed to burn down the safehouse and three docks/piers around it in their escape. Ugh.

Silliest thing a DM's done to my group?
He threw an old or very old fiendish black wyrm at us, which we managed to defeat eventually. Contributing to the death of the dragon: My character, a gnome illusionist/bard was swallowed whole. Fortunately, I'd already cast resist acid, so that part wasn't an issue. I had a dragonbane dagger that I used to cut myself out of the dragon's side. Now I had deliberately gotten myself swallowed (think something along the lines of a kamikaze attack), expecting/hoping to die (there had been much silliness in this campaign leading up to this point, and I was tired of it.). To my surprise, I lived through the ordeal, only to retire as an adventurer and begin full-time performances in Waterdeep after dropping a line similar to this on my fellow adventurers:
I was just swallowed by an ancient, demonic black wyrm. That's a memory I wish I'd never had, not to mention forget. I'm done.

black wagner
2007-09-14, 05:07 PM
Player walks into a dark cold room, he is pretty sur ethere are undead around, so he calls out "hello, are there any ghouls in here"

the cleric was already dead.

Susil
2007-09-14, 05:31 PM
I've never sprung anything too silly on players while DMing, but then I've not done it that much. I'll come up with something next time.

The silliest thing that happened to our party was probably in one of the earlier adventures we did. We were somewhere up a mountainside, and had found a cave which was an abandoned wizards house. The way we had to go was blocked by a big monster above our level (a roc, maybe) which we figured we could open the big magic rock gate to let out. We found a coded message in amongst the wizards stuff, we thought it looked like instructions. Anyway, the DM gave us a copy of this sheet, and one of the players saw it was a cryptogram, and sat down to decode it. About half an hour later, after exploring some more, the player piped up; "I think it's a recipe."

What made it even sillier was that we had to use the recipe to make 6 oat cakes, which then we proceeded to put on pedestals. And voila, the door opened. Go figure.

Man, I miss playing with that group! :smallwink:

sktarq
2007-09-15, 04:41 PM
Many to pick from. Blowing up mountains, Shapeshifting into the king, tossing a torch into the oil soaked chamber with the big boss and closing the door (mission was to "eliminate" not "defeat"), stuffing the druid through a hole in the wall of ice after telling him to turn into a penguin, .... sigh good times.

rubakhin
2007-09-15, 05:35 PM
One of my characters had a Lamborghini Murcielago. My friend's character was a ninja. A fairly normal ninja, as ninjas go. Not like a magical exploding ninja or anything like that. So the ninja comes across my char in the Murcielago, throws a shuriken into the car door and the Lamborghini explodes in a ball of fire.

Bear in mind that the shuriken was, again, a fairly normal shuriken, as shuriken go. Not like, coated in nitro, made of matchsticks, or in any way plausibly explosive.

This is why we can't have nice things.

Bor the Barbarian Monk
2007-09-15, 08:26 PM
Oh, there's a looooong list of silliness in my gaming "career."

One of my favorites was an ongoing shtick with my dwarven cleric, Hamdir. It was a conspiracy, I believe, involving the DM...and my DICE!

Simple 2nd edition rules. Roll a CON check after a few drinks in a tavern. Well, that shouldn't be too hard. I was a dwarf with a CON of 16! All I had to do was roll 16 or below, and I was still sober. EVERY SINGLE TIME I ROLLED THAT D20 I FAILED!!! 17...20...19...17 again. I had to be the only dwarf in the AD&D world that could NEVER hold his liquor! :smallredface:

This was embarrassing enough. Oh, but my DM decided to make it EXTRA difficult on my role-playing skills by having me wake up the next day with a naked woman in my bed. Every time! And not necessarily a dwarven woman, either. He had a little chart behind his screen and would roll to see what race of female I would wake up with! :smallredface:

So there we are, my party and I, in a tavern, and Hamdir is drunk again. Various die are rolled and my intoxicated character has that halfling barmaid wrapped around his stubby finger. Yeah, Hammy's gonna get some again, and not know it until the next morning. The NPC and I are heading toward the stairs that will take us to my room...and that's when the party's rogue pipes up...

"Did anyone wanna stop Hamdir the Whore Priest, or are we too entertained in the morning when he finds out what he's done?"

The name stuck. For the remainder of the adventure, the party called me "Hamdir the Whore Priest." :smallamused:

Cyrano
2007-09-15, 08:41 PM
One of my friends had a fashion of bribing hobos to douse themselves in liquor, getting the 16 strength fighter to toss said hobo at an enemy, get the ranger to shoot a flaming arrow at said hobo, and cast an illusion on an enemy so they would appear as a pool of cool water. This happened so often that the DM actually assigned a damage value to Flaming Hobomissile.

Extra_Crispy
2007-09-16, 04:13 AM
Lets see as a GM, on of the funniest/silliest was the first L5R game I ran. It had just come out. I described a rising stair contraption almost like attic stairs that lead down to an underground temple to the evil god Fu Leng. I must have done a bad job at the description because for a long time there were, as my players put it, the escalators of Fu Leng. So they go down to the temple and on a obsidian alter rests this sword and there are a few cultsists with 2 ogre guards. One of the cultsists takes the sword and everyone attacks the party. After killing most of the bad guys the party finally kills the cultist with the sword, sensing victory not too far off I describe how the sword slides over to one of the dead ogres, animates the body and continues to fight them. After this happens again everyone is getting fustrated as they can not figure out what to do, how to stop the sword, and they are getting close to dieing. The strongest character holds the sword down to stop it from reaching another dead body as a shugenja tries to bless the altar, call a god, something to save their butts. One of the characters decides he has had enough and attacks the altar with his sword. We are talking about a 6ft long by 4ft wide altar of solid obsidian. I told him it was a very easy target number so he called raises for damage and while I was dealing with the others I had another player watch his damage roll. L5R is a roll-keep system. Roll x number of d10's keep y d10's, and if you roll a 10 you get to roll the dice again and add it to the original. You keep rolling 10's you keep going on damage. The best you could get was 10 keep 10. I think he was rolling 10 keep 8. I turned back to them and asked for a damage total, not really considering it of importance as it is stone afterall and they only thing he can do is MAYBE chip it. Just looking at my friends faces I knew it was some outrageous number, don't remember the number exactly but it was over 130. This was enough damage to kill the most dangerous moster (the kill the party monster with a wave of its hand) more than 3 times over. So I describe that he shatters his family ancestoral sword on the alter, his wrists feel broken and he did happen to take a sizeable chunk out of the altar. Within seconds the shugenja finished his ritual and managed to summon the sun goddess. It tells them all to run and then turned toward the altar. When the player that broke his sword did not run she turned to the player and yelled at him to run again.
The player gets into character and acts out what his character is doing. With this puppy dog look he looks up at the sun goddess holding the hilt of his sword and says in a very sorrowful way "I broke my sword". This is a over diety, mother of all the clans founders, probably the most powerful being in the universe telling him to run and he just looks at her with this puppy dog face and says "I broke my sword"!
I laughed so hard. I could not move for at least 10 min.

As a player there are many and if I remember a very good one I will post it but I think I have rambled enough for now

Om
2007-09-16, 11:35 AM
I was gobsmacked, they had all had the same idea at the same time, they went ahead, clmbered onto the roof, took hold of the matress and jumped!...I have to ask... what happened next?

DraPrime
2007-09-16, 12:25 PM
My players did something very similar to what happened in this (http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=773). I had a really hard time trying to keep myself from laughing. They were going to get extremely powerful weapons from a lord, but they just broke into his castle and stole them instead.

eidreff
2007-09-16, 01:08 PM
@ Om

The campaign was in Warhammer FRP, I looked at the height of the tower, over 40 feet, this would do about 4D6 damage plus a bit if i felt nasty.

I made them all spend a fatepoint because on their toughness checks and damage roles they were all well and truly pancake and icky chunks.

(for those who don't know fatepoints are a once only cheat death rule in WFRP, you only ever get a couple spend wisely etc, the downside is that the trauma can lead to mental health problems).

in short (i don't remember the exact words but ".. the matress arcs through the air, you cling with white knuckles to the edge as the wind of your passage drags your cloaks out behind you.... twenty feet down your matress strikes the side of a fir tree, make a strength check to hold on...(one fell hehe) .." I bounced them off a couple of trees and a bush and dropped them in a BIG patch of nettles, bramble and poison ivy.

Still couldn't let them get away scot free so they all got pretty badly beat up, a couple took critical injuries and had to be dragged away (through the brambles.

Throughout all i insisted that they roleplay to the utmost. (The screams brought adults running thinking that we were killing each other!)

The aftermath also was great fun. Three of the party developed insanities. heroic idiocy, a phobia of sharp metal (not good for a theif / cat burglar) and depression. The upshot from this one incident was some of the best roleplaying opportunities i have come across, some truly hilarious characters.

The whole episode was talked about for months... They even developed a contingency plan incase it happened again!

It may not have been the most realistic thing to do but it made a great story and most of all was great fun for all of us.

Throughout all of this i was crying with laughter, as was everyone else in turns. Gotta be one of my fave memories of RPGs

Bor the Barbarian Monk
2007-09-16, 07:44 PM
Another Bor story for the silly gaming stuff. :smallbiggrin:

I was once the GM for a game based on Villains & Vigilantes. (Anyone remember that one?) Our group was entirely too restless to sit at a table and game, so we adopted a system of doing it all in our heads. Instead of using the impossible calculations of the rule book, we would use nice round numbers. Thus, I gave one of the characters the ability to run at 1000 miles per hour.

The setting was Penn Station in Manhattan, NY. The young group of heroes had been dispatched by the government to find a little girl with strange abilities. When they arrived at the station, they found out that other interested parties were also looking for the girl.

Much fighting ensued.

While the heroes were battling minions and several superpowered NPCs, the speedster made a check and realized that the girl was running, and the main baddie was after her.

Speedster: I chase after them as fast as I can.
Me: Maximum speed?
Speedster: Everything I got.
Me: Are you sure you want to do that?
Speedster: Yep.

See that bold print question? This was the very first time I asked it, and would ask it quite often in the future. And when I would ask it in the future, a player would sit back and say, "Okay, I'm about to do something really dumb. What is the dumb thing, and what would be smarter?" They hadn't learned that lesson yet...but they were about to. :smallbiggrin:

One thousand miles per hour inside a building...That's 0 to 1000 in split-seconds...breaking the sound barrier...in an enclosed area. How do YOU spell instant destruction? (Heh heh heh.)

"Okaaay," I said in a kind of warning, sing-song voice. "You take off after them, causing a sonic boom inside the station that shatters every glass item along the main concourse." I have him "roll" d100. "Thirty-seven people are permanently deafened. I'm sure their lawyers will be in touch. The rest of the civilians will recover. When you stop, the debris that's following you doesn't. Innertia and stuff." More "rolling." "Yeah, you've taken enough damage to require hospitalization, so I don't think you're in this fight anymore." :smallbiggrin:

Okay, maybe not silly, but certainly amusing and evil as a GM. The lesson learned that gaming session: "With great power comes great responsibility...and sometimes greater blunders." :smallwink:

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2007-09-16, 08:16 PM
2 stories. First. We were a level 10 evil party. We broke into a village, killed all the villagers while they were getting their water from the well. (That was me. Warlock. Set em on fire. Fun) we went inside a jewellery shop to steal something. The blackguard makes mucho noise. We hear a voice coming from the other side of the counter. "Who's there?"
The ninja answers quickly. "Noone!" (Natural 20 bluff check)
"Oh, ok."
I say. "Wendan (my characters name) tries to not laugh"
The DM makes me roll a fort save. i fail. The voice pipes up again.
"Hey, what was that?"
The ninja answers again. "Just a spider"
"Damn loud spider." (Another Natural 20!)

The second story

We were a level 3 normal party. The would be dervish (me, which got annoying, as everyone called my char an 'Exotic Dancer') was knocked out by the druggy druids screaming book, having been suggested by an imp thing, when this beast attacks us. The ninja burrows underground behind it. The Paladin, of all things, throws his greatsword at it. It misses, but then the ninja uses his AoE to catch it, in mid-air, jumping out of the ground. He swung at the beast, while still behind it- and it whirls around and takes him out in one strike. so sad.

Dragonrider
2007-09-16, 08:41 PM
I don't know silly, but it certainly became a running joke

Last time I played D&D was a month ago, with my brothers (14 and 10) and a friend of theirs (13). So we've been playing D&D together for six years, but hadn't had a game in a long time. We've all matured as players, and my 14-year-old brother and I in particular really enjoy roleplaying.

Our friend, Luke, was DMing. He set us off separately, so my character, Wynn (a human ranger), ran into 10yo bro's, Trevor (some kind of psionic character), and we had to figure out this puzzle. It soon became manifestly obvious that Trevor was not the sharpest sword on the rack. I don't know whether my brother played him that way on purpose (he's only 10 but he's a smart kid, I'm not sure...) but I was roleplaying Wynn and she was pretty ticked. Saddled with this weird little egocentric idiot blabbermouth - because turned out of course that we were after the same treasure.

So Trevor and Wynn get into the tomb and end up spending the night there. Trevor falls asleep on watch and thankfully we weren't slaughtered in our sleep, but when we woke up my other brother's warlock Dafydd had shown up.

We had, as you can imagine, a nice little confrontation that went something like

Wynn (still half-asleep): "Who are you and what are you doing here?"
Dafydd: "What are you doing here?"
Wynn: "..."
Trevor: "I bet you're here for the same reason we are. I'm here because...." (goes off on his life story about how these guys broke into his house and somehow it ties into his life goal and finding this treasure)
Wynn (cuts him off): "Shut up, Trevor."
Dafydd: "...so you're with him?"

Complicated by the fact that Wynn develops a massive secret crush on Dafydd, she continues to find herself in situations where Trevor embarrasses her and it got to the point where Dafydd picked it up too and whenever he started to say anything remotely unrelated to the immediate situation, we would say in unison:

"Shut up, Trevor."

(Ironically, when Trevor almost died in the final confrontation, they were both distraught. He kind of became our mascot/puppy dog/...)

Oh wait.
Annoying little brother.

:smalltongue:

Vhaidara
2007-09-16, 10:58 PM
Probably when an ogre zombie killed the Gesalt fighter cleric in a two person group and I had my Gesalt monk wizard make use of the higher move speed while screaming like a little girl.

Albub
2007-09-21, 04:26 PM
whoops, somehow, while trying to post on teh zambah abagazabz thread, I ended up posting here. I guess the silliest thing I ever said would be, "You evil bastard! I can't believe I trusted you with the snow radishes!"