PDA

View Full Version : Underdark Game Starting Level?

oldredeyes
2007-09-13, 04:30 PM
I'm planning on starting a game in an (almost empty when it comes to organised powers) area of the FR underdark, either upper or middledark. Based in an abandoned keep, a group of colonists have got cut off from the world above, to be protected or picked off. The players are the highest level (or among the highest level) characters there among a group of about 100 colonists and soldiers.

What level should I start the characters at?

AslanCross
2007-09-13, 04:35 PM
Most ordinary people, even soldiers, are only Lv 1. Lv 3 to 5 would be pretty good for your purposes.

The_Werebear
2007-09-13, 04:38 PM
Hrmm..

From what I have heard, the underdark is exceptionally lethal. I would advance them quickly to make up for the challenge that everyday living is down there.

mostlyharmful
2007-09-13, 04:38 PM
Depends on the environs and local predators, if they're 10-15 miles from a major city of the drow or the Duerguer then mid levels 10-12 pretty much required for survival. If they're a ways away from the major population centres and only encounter scattered goblins and whatever with the occassional wandering big scarey monster then they can work as a team with the outpost and go from as low as 4 or 5 to start with, at least until some of the higher food chain predators notice the easy pickings.:smalleek:

StickMan
2007-09-13, 04:39 PM
If they are the highest level out of 100 people in the undark I think level 5 would be a good starting level and even then you better fortify that fort well.

GimliFett
2007-09-13, 04:42 PM
Given the types of things with which the Underdark is usually populated, I'd say 5th-level ought to be sufficiently challenging for the players. You might consider having the outpost be populated by (and thus the players would also be) Deep Imaskari, instead of human.