PDA

View Full Version : What If???

Haydenhawk
2007-09-13, 08:26 PM
I was just wondering what other people would think if DND was real. My aspect is is that almost all people would use some type of magic because in the long run isn't magic really better? It's for you to decide

reorith
2007-09-13, 09:17 PM
i'd go fighter5/rogue3/swashblucker7/paladin5

no wait

divine minion1/wizard1/master of many forms3 :smallbiggrin:

Hell Puppi
2007-09-13, 09:18 PM
I think people would use magic because of the possibility for head expoldey-powers, but that's me.
I know of at least one person, my friend Zach, who wouldn't touch magic with a ten-foot pole if it were real. He thinks it all ends up bad in the end.:smalltongue:

blackout
2007-09-13, 09:19 PM
Psion. End of story.

Hell Puppi
2007-09-13, 09:22 PM
Personally:smallsmile: I'd go druid...mostly so I could turn into a small cat and sit on people's heads while they're playing on the computer

Youngblood
2007-09-13, 09:23 PM
Paladin with a few ranks of Monk. :smallbiggrin:

...What? I'm Lawful Good, leave me alone.

Green Bean
2007-09-13, 09:27 PM
If DnD were real, eh? Hmm.

Well, for one, those WotC game designers will suddenly come into a lot of power, what with the whole 'dictating the laws of physics'. Those with inexperience and a short attention span would start out as Fighters, then switch to wizard or cleric when they realize what'll happen to them at high levels, creating some rather amusing gish builds.

Biggest plus? If you run out of pizza, the DM can Rule 0 some more in. :smallbiggrin:

PaladinBoy
2007-09-13, 09:30 PM
I'd go for some type of houseruled Paladin/Bard combo. Possibly gestalt.

.....or, if the stories I make up in my head are true, then I'd just wake up as a bard/windwright captain in the world of Eberron without warning.

No matter what, though, if D+D was real? I'd get a bound-elemental airship. I don't care whether fighter jets and helicopters are better.

FdL
2007-09-13, 09:31 PM
I don't think everyone would use magic. Some people would, the way in our society some people study and go to university, where others can't and find other works or ways to get around in life. Same with people who are socially skilled, or born rich, or have a tendency for arts, or a strong religious devotion or discipline. My guess is there would be a lot of fighters. Warrior NPCs, I'd say :p

Personally:smallsmile: I'd go druid...mostly so I could turn into a small cat and sit on people's heads while they're playing on the computer

I voluntarily choose to fail my Will save against such cuteness ^^

evisiron
2007-09-13, 09:42 PM
I would probably go for magic just for the utility spells. I want to fly...

Scratch that (oh wait, I CAN scratch that). I would go sorc! All the spells, none of the book learning. Hard to argue with that!

Although Psion is also good... Argh, so many things I want!

Madmal
2007-09-13, 09:49 PM
i'm most related to the Bard, Druid, or Factotum; so i'd probably go as any of them.

and of race...Changeling....though Normal Human would be fine too.

wojonatior
2007-09-13, 09:49 PM
i would bribe the bribe the dm and let me be an epic 20 fighter/20 rouge/20 cleric/20 psion/ 20 hexblade.

reorith
2007-09-13, 09:51 PM
go read lullaby by chuck palahnuik. it involves ancient magic and bioterrorism in contemporary america.

FdL
2007-09-13, 10:45 PM
In any case, it's interesting to think what would one be in a real life D&D situation, according to how you are here and now.

ocato
2007-09-13, 10:48 PM
I dunno. Most of us would be commoners probably, and those of us who would be PC classes would probably die horribly. /endcynicism

I think it'd be cool. Imagine your favorite hang-out, and now add in crazy people with axes and knives. I'm a fan of this plan. Spells that cure diseases? Hells yes. Resurection?

Being a doctor would be a lot easier.

Skippy
2007-09-13, 10:48 PM
I can imagine that. Instead of birth certificates we would be given character sheets.

Also, no one would leave home without a set of die.

tobian
2007-09-13, 10:50 PM
Hmmm...
Well, depending on how one "wakes up" in that world I would be one of two very different characters. Assuming I would wake up as my last character I would be a Bard 6/Mindbender 1 and be working towards Rogue 2/Druid 1/Fulchan Lyrist 10. I also would be an 8'4" tall 485 lb blue half dragon with a dark outlook on life.

Actually... no one from the campaign I was in (Counterpower) read this:

Actually, I may be a true blue dragon. Anyone in Counterpower's campaign who just read this just committed a TPK. And this is the form I would have rather than the one below. :smallbiggrin:

If I woke up as something I would choose at the time of waking, well then I would be myself as a Nomad 20. (I'm not super strong on Psi-PrCs)

I have an intense case of wanderlust in real life. I also like the time based powers a lot in psiconics. (Time Hop; Time Hop, Mass; Time Regression; ect)

Yoritomo Himeko
2007-09-13, 10:54 PM
I was just wondering what other people would think if DND was real. My aspect is is that almost all people would use some type of magic because in the long run isn't magic really better? It's for you to decide

Well, as I said before, I'd most likely be a bard. Go Chaotic good!

The only way I could be a paladin would be if I could be a Paladin of Freedom. Lawful is just not my style. Then I could fight Paladins of Tyranny. :smallsmile:

Haruki-kun
2007-09-13, 10:57 PM

I'm guessing if it was real it wouldn't be as simple as saying the name of a spell and seeing it get cast, or just saying you're a wizard and being able to level up.

If it was real, all the spell-casting classes would take years of long and hard training to master the spells, and would have to prepare complicated spells every morning. Some people would even drop out and seek an easier class, wouldn't they?

SurlySeraph
2007-09-13, 11:07 PM
I'd go with Paladin/Archivist. I'm highly dedicated to religion and study, and I'd split all of my time between studying and destroying evildoers with my divine might. Oh, and healing the sick and whatnot. Now that'd be fun and the right thing to do!.

averagejoe
2007-09-13, 11:34 PM
This is what if. (http://www.xkcd.com/244/)

Also, a lot of DnD-ers, myself included, would probably be wizards. I figure a wizard is just a giant math/science nerd who doesn't get beat up as often because he can cast disintigrate.

Vaynor
2007-09-14, 12:00 AM
I'd be Pun-Pun.

What?

horseboy
2007-09-14, 12:09 AM
I guess about now's the time somebody posts one of these (http://members.iinet.net.au/~ioreth/dnd_character.htm)

Icewalker
2007-09-14, 12:33 AM
I'd like to be a Psion, although actually, considering my qualities, if Dnd were real I would definitely have latent sorcerer powers.

Hell Puppi
2007-09-14, 01:35 AM
Ohhh dex-boosting items...I could be all acrobatic.

LCR
2007-09-14, 05:21 AM
I dunno. Most of us would be commoners probably, and those of us who would be PC classes would probably die horribly. /endcynicism

I think it'd be cool. Imagine your favorite hang-out, and now add in crazy people with axes and knives. I'm a fan of this plan. Spells that cure diseases? Hells yes. Resurection?

Being a doctor would be a lot easier.

If I was a doctor, I'd be bloody mad. There you go, studying for tens of years and along comes a bleeding cleric and grows back a limb!?

Ikkitosen
2007-09-14, 05:24 AM
I'd go Psion 4 / Wizard 1 (Precocious Apprentice) / Cerebremancer X (I very much doubt I'm over 15th level). Cheese + Int Synergy = ace.

blackout
2007-09-14, 06:18 AM
I'd be a 20/Telepath 20/Telekinetic. :smallamused:

Dhavaer
2007-09-14, 06:30 AM
Psion. Intelligence based, but doesn't need a spellbook. Yes please. Probably Egoist.

MandibleBones
2007-09-14, 07:05 AM
If I had a choice? NG Cleric, all the way.

If I suddenly gained classes reflecting the way I've lived my life so far? NG (Lawful tendencies) Rogue 2 / Fighter 2.

banjo1985
2007-09-14, 07:13 AM
I always answer these kind of things based on who I am and my experiences, its more interesting than just what I'd want to be!

Anyhow, I guess I would be a Rogue/Expert with Lawful Good tendencies.

Thes Hunter
2007-09-14, 09:35 AM

Whether or not most people had some magical ability or not would depend on how much training it would take to be able to just cast cantrips. If you needed to study for years in order to master enough disciple and control to cast prestidigitation, then still only a few would be able to handle magic. Small spells that clean things for you are very useful, but not everyone has the ability to pay, or the time for the schooling that it would require.

However, if many people were able to innately bend the fabric of reality in order to wash the dishes, then many would use spells. But again, it would focus on the lower levels because not everyone has the time and disciple to learn the upper level things, and the spells would focus on everyday utility, and not blowing stuff up. Since everyday you create more dirty dishes, but not everyday do you need to blow crap up.

(Unless you're a teenage boy, then you may feel the need to blow crap up everyday.)

horseboy
2007-09-14, 09:47 PM
(Unless you're a teenage boy, then you may feel the need to blow crap up everyday.)

Teenage?! Pfft!

Shades of Gray
2007-09-15, 04:54 PM
Sorceror. end of story:smallamused:

A Rainy Knight
2007-09-15, 07:33 PM
Of course, if DND and magic were real, then you couldn't impress as many people as you might think, because it wouldn't surprise them that much. Then again, if you used magic in everyday life, you would probably be told, "Bah! Smoke and mirrors!" more times than you could shake a stick at. Either way, I love magic. :smallbiggrin:

Arang
2007-09-16, 05:57 AM
Psion. Kineticist. High INT means plenty of skill points, and INT seems to be my highest stat in any case.

Vuzzmop
2007-09-16, 03:20 PM
Telepathy. Imagine the money in being a mental marine, a paranormal paratrooper about to ship out on the adventure of a lifetime, nnnn other words, Psychonauts! (if you get the quote, you shall recieve free internet hugs).

But maybe a few levels of wizard

So I could have prepared explosive runes this morning

Haruki-kun
2007-09-16, 05:19 PM
I was gonna say I'd be a wizard, but apparently the test I took seems to believe I'd be a Chaotic Good Human Paladin.