PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class Monster Slayer [3 Level - PrC]

gooddragon1
2018-09-01, 09:04 PM
Monster Slayer

HD

D12.

Requirements

To qualify to become a monster slayer, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.

Base Attack Bonus

+8.

Skills

Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 10 ranks, Survival 10 ranks.

Feats

Track.

Special

Favored Enemy selected at least once.

Class Skills

The Monster Slayer’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Escape Artist (Dex), Jump (Str), Knowledge (all skills, taken individually) (Int), Listen (Wis), Ride (Dex), Search (Int), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), Swim (Str), Tumble (Dex), Use Rope (Dex).

Skill Points at Each Level

4 + Int modifier.

The Monster Slayer

Saves

Level
BAB
Fort
Ref
Will
Special

1st
+1
+2
+0
+0
Baneblade 1, Gaze of Fear

2nd
+2
+3
+0
+0
Baneblade 2, Effect Resistance

3rd
+3
+3
+1
+1
Baneblade 3, Effect Failure

Class Features

Weapon and Armor Proficiency

Monster slayers are proficient with all simple and martial weapons, with all types of armor (heavy, medium, and light), and with shields (except tower shields).

Baneblade (Ex)

Once per day, a monster slayer chooses an option type off the ranger favored enemy table. Against creatures of this type he deals an additional 1d6 damage with any attack he makes. At 2nd and 3rd level he may make an additional selection (even choosing the same option multiple times to stack this damage). This choice may only be changed once per day by selecting a different option.

Gaze of Fear (Su)

At 1st level, any creature that would take extra damage from a monster slayer's baneblade ability with HD less than or equal to the monster slayer becomes shaken if they meet the monster slayer's gaze. Treat this as a gaze attack with a range of 60 feet, except that it allows no saving throw. A monster slayer may activate or deactivate this ability as a free action.

Effect Resistance (Ex)

At 2nd level, at the beginning of each round of combat and once at the beginning of each day the monster slayer makes an HD check with a +10 bonus (1d20 + Hit Dice + 10). Any extraordinary, spell-like, or supernatural ability from a creature with fewer HD than that result fails to affect the monster slayer if they would be affected by at least one of his baneblade choices. For the first round of combat and while outside of combat use the per day result (except if the in combat result for the first round is higher than the per day result in which case use the higher of the two). A monster slayer may voluntarily lower his effect resistance as a standard action.

Effect Failure (Su)

At 3rd level, extraordinary, spell-like, and supernatural abilities from creatures that would be affected by the baneblade options a monster slayer has chosen for the day have a 20% chance to fail when used against the monster slayer. Additionally, he gains a +2 bonus to any saving throws against such abilities from those creatures for each 1d6 damage his baneblade ability would deal against such a creature (this can stack multiple times). This ability can override effect resistance on an enemy with its 20% chance unless that creature's effect failure activates against this effect failure.

===

Just busted this one out in like 30 minutes so it's iffish probably on a lot of stuff. Was thinking mainly of effect resistance, reversed the functioning of spell resistance in a way and built around it.

I've been watching a lot of "Terrible Writing Advice" and I just felt like making something. Though really I should be making other things...

nonsi
2018-09-02, 12:23 AM
I notice that Effect Resistance doesn't have the that would be affected by the baneblade options clause.
I think that's a bit OP.

Kyrell1978
2018-09-02, 11:26 AM
I notice that Effect Resistance doesn't have the that would be affected by the baneblade options clause.
I think that's a bit OP.
I agree with this. This would help and would add a little flavor to the mechanical advantage.

gooddragon1
2018-09-02, 05:11 PM
Okay, but I felt like it would be weaker that way and just having it work against stuff in general would be nice. Debating giving mettle (at 1) and/or evasion (at 2)+improved evasion (at 3) to make it so he has an advantage no matter what he's fighting.

nonsi
2018-09-02, 11:35 PM
Okay, but I felt like it would be weaker that way and just having it work against stuff in general would be nice.

With the ability to switch on a daily basis, I see no issue on this one.

Debating giving mettle (at 1) and/or evasion (at 2)+improved evasion (at 3) to make it so he has an advantage no matter what he's fighting.

This combo, on top of d12 HP (along with everything else this class gets), would make it one of the most powerful 3-level PrCs ever.
It's up to you to consider how it will mesh with your other homebrew stuff and the campaign you're running.