PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Barbarian rage help

Digitalfruitz
2018-09-02, 07:27 PM
Hello all. I need help with doing something kind of strange to the barbarian. I greatly enjoy the barbarian class but I need help changing the rage feature. I want it to last less rounds per day, and give a larger bonus to stats. I feel like this would give a more anime feel to the class and any help at all is appreciated. As of right now I plan on it simply increasing the bonus to +6 STR and CON and making rage simply last as long as their constitution modifier plus one round per level of barbarian. Any help is appreciated

Goaty14
2018-09-02, 10:04 PM
Which system is this for? Without knowing that, nobody can help you...

Digitalfruitz
2018-09-02, 11:07 PM
my apologies, it said it tagged it when I posted this. The system is pathfinder.

DapperReaper
2018-09-04, 01:51 PM
so it starts at +6 and increments by +2 at the usual barbarian levels? that would make it...+10 at 20th instead of +8? also, that's a pretty steep reduction in duration, but its easily circumvented by the extra rage feat(which gives +6 rounds per day if memory serves) if you really want to keep the rounds low, I would say include a clause that cuts all other sources of rage rounds by half maybe

alternatively
I made a feat for a custom race you could try and adapt, I called it intense rage, and each time you took it it moved 2 points of your base str/con to your rage bonus and gave you some extra rage rounds, but if your base str/con got reduced below 10 it granted double the normal rage rounds. not sure if that's exactly what your looking for but might be worth considering. hope that's helpful

Digitalfruitz
2018-09-04, 02:52 PM
Fair point Dapper, how would this sound?

Altered rage: this changes the normal rage bonus of +4 STR and CON into brining +6. This also reduces rage from lasting 4+ CON modifier+2 per barbarian level down to only lasting CON modifier+barbarian level. All feats that increase the amount of rage you have only do so by half.

DapperReaper
2018-09-04, 09:53 PM
Fair point Dapper, how would this sound?

Altered rage: this changes the normal rage bonus of +4 STR and CON into brining +6. This also reduces rage from lasting 4+ CON modifier+2 per barbarian level down to only lasting CON modifier+barbarian level. All feats that increase the amount of rage you have only do so by half.

that should be fine, at least from my view, if anyone wants to point out something we missed feel free to

nikkoli
2018-09-10, 11:34 AM
You lost half the use of your class abilities for a +1 to hit and +1/+1.5 damage over the standard barbarian. I feel like that's a trade off that's not very worth it. At level 20 you can be fully useful for 24-28 rounds depending on how much you invested in con with this or 46-50 rounds per day as a normal barbarian.
Cutting it down so much I might add something like what the frenzied berserker has to the base to make it more worth using over the regular one.

ngilop
2018-09-10, 11:49 AM
I feel this would be better suited as a feat than class feature

Something along the lines of a double bonus to str and con but reducing the rounds by half.

right now what you want to do is not worth it at all, getting an extra +1 to stuff but for half the time is kinda a joke,

ChaoticHarmony
2018-09-13, 08:45 PM
I feel this would be better suited as a feat than class feature

Something along the lines of a double bonus to str and con but reducing the rounds by half.

right now what you want to do is not worth it at all, getting an extra +1 to stuff but for half the time is kinda a joke,

I agree, this would probably be better as a feat. Another option you could go with is a sorta 'sacrificial rage'. Make it optional to increase the bonus by +1 for every extra two rounds used (+4 1 round per round, +5 3 round per round, +6 5 round per round) that allows the option of either all in power or long term endurance

Morphic tide
2018-09-13, 09:26 PM
A much better phrasing would be expending some number of rounds of Rage to lock you in Rage for that time and giving the bonus increase. That way you can use the normal number of rounds, if you feel like it, or grab the added bonus by burning the appropriate number of rounds. If you end up overestimating how many rounds you need, you waste two rounds of Rage for each round you're wrong by. If you go under... Say hello to Exhaustion penalties.

Rather than a feat, as Barbarians are quite feat starved, it'd need to be either a fairly light Archetype or a Rage Power. As an Archetype, you need to consider what other things you want. If you want an "anime" feel, you may want to replace some Rage Powers with partially-variable abilities that capture the feel you're going for, like leaping strikes that allow for fighting airborne enemies or Energy damage. Temporary HP able to counteract meaningful damage could also be added, to give a lure for optimization.