PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk about Giantitp Signatures

Greenflame133
2018-09-06, 04:59 PM
so... we have this thing showing under your every post. Usually I see it being used for something silly/funny or helpful. You get 1000 (characters including BBcode markup) and that's about it. I was wondering how to make it good. Like if people look at it what they want to see? Do they even look? What do I want them to see?

I was thing of doing something useful with it. Maybe say something about kind of player I am so that when I apply for PBP, DM could get idea what to expect from me... this quickly turned into FAQ about my life. In other words moust of thing I will tell you when doing small talk writen down, but then I started realazing it would be huge and likly some one seeing like 15 pages (including index) would porobly just skip on it.

So what do you think? What is best use for Signatures? What other will expect in there?

Peelee
2018-09-06, 05:16 PM
So what do you think? What is best use for Signatures?

To curate my brilliance and wit, of course. Any other use is a waste.

thorgrim29
2018-09-06, 05:45 PM
To curate my brilliance and wit, of course. Any other use is a waste.

Aaaaaaand sigged. Anyway yeah, just something funny/useful if you're doing a lot of PbP.

Peelee
2018-09-06, 06:54 PM
Aaaaaaand sigged.

This pleases me.

rooster707
2018-09-06, 07:11 PM
I use mine for self-aggrandizement, mostly. And to credit the creator of my avatar.

The Extinguisher
2018-09-06, 07:17 PM
Shameless promotion, both self and otherwise

Forum signatures are such a wild concept, and a relic of a bygone internet era. Makes me nostalgic for the days before twitter

Comrade
2018-09-06, 07:41 PM
I just use mine to preserve silly little quotes from posts that I found funny, both with and without context.

danzibr
2018-09-06, 08:36 PM
If it’s super long, spoiler it.

Keltest
2018-09-06, 08:38 PM
Mine is a quote from the Witcher series that I find to be fairly interesting. Every now and again somebody comments on it, usually in relation to the topic of a thread, and its kind of neat to see peoples different interpretations of it, void of the original context. Personally, ive always read it as the moral equivalent of "don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good", but I see other reads on it sometimes that surprise me.

thorgrim29
2018-09-06, 08:44 PM
This pleases me.

Yeah I figured it would

Celestia
2018-09-06, 09:08 PM
I use mine to shamelessly advertise a thread no one but me ever posts in anymore.

Spore
2018-09-06, 10:27 PM
I just use mine to preserve silly little quotes from posts that I found funny, both with and without context.

Personally I am either about all of these - or just useful and relevant ressources. I couldn't care less about avatar artists, Youtube channels and DA accounts or quotes. Good lord, how I despise quotes - meaning stuff like quoting Lincoln or some author in a semi-philosophical manner - nowadays.

Peelee
2018-09-06, 10:30 PM
I couldn't care less about avatar artists

I understand, but if they're nice enough to make them, I can sure as hell honor their request to be tagged as the artist.

137beth
2018-09-06, 11:09 PM
I just use it to link to a longer post that is sort of everything that other people put in their actual signatures, but without the space limitations.

DataNinja
2018-09-06, 11:26 PM
I use mine to link to a gaming community in an attempt to help bring together players for a niche game. I dunno if it actually works, I'm just too lazy to remove it. Same reason I still have the Mostly Useless Magic Items post lying around in there. In case I ever want to reference it, I guess? :smalltongue:

Algeh
2018-09-06, 11:41 PM
I haven't bothered to accumulate one of my own, but I enjoy seeing some of the local-quote ones that link to quotes from other threads around the board.

I get grumpy about the excessively long ones, particularly what seems to be a trend of posting character stats in sigs that I've been seeing lately (spoiler tags are your friend for that kind of thing).

I basically don't use the modern "social media" internet, so sigs still seem reasonable to me.

Greenflame133
2018-09-07, 12:25 AM
If it's even longer you can use links, there is character limit

Mordokai
2018-09-07, 12:32 AM
Eh, mine is just a hodgepodge of links of my character I like done by an artist and one colored... that one doesn't even work anymore, should really remove it one day. And a thank you to my avatar creator, because that's just common decency to me. It's the same character, just more... piratey.

As for quotes... they are relics from the past, from my... kinda emo phase, I guess? The first one is(or was) in consideration for what to put on nuclear waste shelters, for posterity. The second one is from tvtropes... zombie apocalypse, I think. And the third one is from Sinfest. I am not nearly as moody as I used to be back when I put them in the signature, but I still like them, so they are staying there for the time being.

And seeing as I'm mostly a remnant of a bygone era(at least as far as this forum is concerned), I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Teddy
2018-09-07, 12:46 AM
I use mine to title and attribute my avatar (which I assume most won't see because I still haven't migrated it off Imgur), and to host a banner I got from a co-participant in an Iron Avatarist competition way back.

Come to think of it, I wonder why I never put my IA trophies in my sig. Hmm...

Ninja_Prawn
2018-09-07, 01:43 AM
I use mine for self-aggrandizement, mostly. And to credit the creator of my avatar.

Same here.

I think of the sig as being a quick summary of what I'm about, for the benefit of strangers/new members.

Eldan
2018-09-07, 02:37 AM
I sometimes use it to store links to stuff I'm workign on. But mostly, I toss in a quote or two from the last thing I read.

2D8HP
2018-09-09, 06:04 PM
Same here.

I think of the sig as being a quick summary of what I'm about, for the benefit of strangers/new members.

What she said, though in my case there's also "Documenting my descent into madness"

No brains
2018-09-09, 07:09 PM
I've kept 'accolades' I've received in response to my ****posting. The quotes are responses that remind me that it is worth being who I am.

Goaty14
2018-09-09, 07:42 PM
Signature?
What Signature?
OH
That signature!

Mostly to stroke my ego and shamelessly put what I think is funny.

jwhouk
2018-09-10, 11:56 AM
Thanks for reminding me. I didn't realize I hadn't put a sigline out there.

veti
2018-09-11, 12:35 AM
I was thing of doing something useful with it. Maybe say something about kind of player I am so that when I apply for PBP, DM could get idea what to expect from me... this quickly turned into FAQ about my life. In other words moust of thing I will tell you when doing small talk writen down, but then I started realazing it would be huge and likly some one seeing like 15 pages (including index) would porobly just skip on it.

You're not the first person to think these thoughts. In the olden days we had a thing called "geek code" (Google it), which was designed to compress everything you might want to share with a fellow geek into one or two lines.

I don't know if there's a variant specific to RPGing. If there is, you could adopt that. If not, we could invent it. Who knows, maybe it'll catch on.

Velaryon
2018-09-11, 01:24 PM
To me, your signature is one of the two major identifiers that separate one forum poster from another (the second being your avatar). So it's like a virtual T-shirt with whatever pictures, slogans, etc. that helps me differentiate one user from another.

As for my own sig: I don't have any homebrew stuff I want to show off, or a YouTube channel to link to, or anything like that so I just grabbed a random quote from this board that made me laugh. I figure it's better than having nothing.

Devils_Advocate
2018-10-11, 05:20 PM
Your signature can be a good place to share information that you feel will facilitate interactions with other posters. For example, based on a recent exchange, I'm seriously considering adding a note to the effect that

1. I generally prefer conversations in which statements are taken at face value.
2. I generally try to say what I mean, and my statements should be interpreted with that in mind.
3. My arguing against something you said shouldn't be taken to imply that you believe it.

Spoiler animated gifs too, as these can be annoyingly distracting. This also allows the viewer to start watching at the beginning of the animation, as it doesn't start until the spoiler box is opened. (Also, don't use animated avatars. I'm not sure whether those are possible here, but don't use them anywhere else either.)

To me, your signature is one of the two major identifiers that separate one forum poster from another (the second being your avatar).
I often ignore screen names myself, but I wouldn't go so far as to call one a minor identifier. They generally stay the same as signatures and even avatars change. Besides, I often ignore signatures as well.

Mine is a quote from the Witcher series that I find to be fairly interesting. Every now and again somebody comments on it, usually in relation to the topic of a thread, and its kind of neat to see peoples different interpretations of it, void of the original context. Personally, ive always read it as the moral equivalent of "don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good", but I see other reads on it sometimes that surprise me.
Huh? Isn't it pretty much the exact opposite? I thought that "choosing the lesser evil" means choosing the better of two bad (i.e. evil) options, while "letting the perfect be the enemy of the good" means not choosing the better of two bad (i.e. imperfect) options. So not choosing one evil over another seems incompatible with not letting the perfect be the enemy of the good.

DataNinja
2018-10-11, 05:27 PM
Spoiler animated gifs too, as these can be annoyingly distracting. This also allows the viewer to start watching at the beginning of the animation, as it doesn't start until the spoiler box is opened. (Also, don't use animated avatars. I'm not sure whether those are possible here, but don't use them anywhere else either.
Neither animated avatars nor animated signatures are permitted here - so if you see one, just report it and it'll be dealt with.

Knaight
2018-10-11, 06:29 PM
At present, I'm using it for self aggrandizement. Previously I've used signatures for a quote, had an offer to help with some system specific homebrew for a while, and a few other things. I'm hoping to transition to a DrivethruRPG link for my stuff, but there's still editing and layout before I have even one item to put up.

Keltest
2018-10-11, 06:37 PM
Huh? Isn't it pretty much the exact opposite? I thought that "choosing the lesser evil" means choosing the better of two bad (i.e. evil) options, while "letting the perfect be the enemy of the good" means not choosing the better of two bad (i.e. imperfect) options. So not choosing one evil over another seems incompatible with not letting the perfect be the enemy of the good.

The idea is that there is a third, non-evil option to be taken. Within the context of the source material, there are two people trying to kill each other, each asking Geralt to help their side, trying to claim that there would be a lot of harm in allowing the other side to live. Both of them claim that helping them murder the other would be "the lesser evil" at which point Geralt tells both of them to shove off, that he isn't going to help either of them, and that they should quit trying to murder each other.

farothel
2018-10-12, 01:35 AM
I use mine to remember Sir Terry Pratchett and also to put some quotes I found on the internet a long time ago.

shawnhcorey
2018-10-12, 01:11 PM
It's another place to mess with people's minds. :roach::roach::mitd:

Manga Shoggoth
2018-10-12, 01:42 PM
This pleases me.

Let's be fair. You do come up with some very good rejoiners.

Lvl 2 Expert
2018-10-12, 02:01 PM

I heard most people use it for the complete list of their romantic conquests.

Yes, it's bad, but we all have to make some form of that obligatory joke one day in a place with so many fellow nerds. P.S. I am not a hobgoblinophile. Or am I?...

veti
2018-10-12, 03:26 PM
The idea is that there is a third, non-evil option to be taken. Within the context of the source material, there are two people trying to kill each other, each asking Geralt to help their side, trying to claim that there would be a lot of harm in allowing the other side to live. Both of them claim that helping them murder the other would be "the lesser evil" at which point Geralt tells both of them to shove off, that he isn't going to help either of them, and that they should quit trying to murder each other.

Thus guaranteeing victory for the stronger evil. Way to abdicate responsibility, Geralt.

truemane
2018-10-12, 03:29 PM
I use mine to provide easy access to my gaming threads so I don't have to keep looking them up or save them somewhere else.

And to thank the person who made my avatar, which is still making me deliriously happy years and years later.

Keltest
2018-10-12, 08:18 PM
Thus guaranteeing victory for the stronger evil. Way to abdicate responsibility, Geralt.

That's not the point. Both sides claim the other is the greater evil. He's offended by the idea that he would knowingly and willingly participate in something he considers evil, period. He rejects the idea of it being a binary choice "you have to pick a side" kind of thing.

halfeye
2018-10-12, 08:56 PM
That's not the point. Both sides claim the other is the greater evil. He's offended by the idea that he would knowingly and willingly participate in something he considers evil, period. He rejects the idea of it being a binary choice "you have to pick a side" kind of thing.

When it's put like that it may make sense, but sometimes you have two problems that clearly aren't matched.

"If you're not with us, you're against us!" is always in the wrong in my view, and walking away from a pair of that makes a lot of sense.

However there's that trolley problem.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trolley_problem

It's clear that not choosing is choosing in that. Or it could be there's no one to harm on the other track. Or there is valuable property, which the owner will sue you for damaging if you save the people. There are infinite variations on that trolley problem.

Keltest
2018-10-12, 09:26 PM
When it's put like that it may make sense, but sometimes you have two problems that clearly aren't matched.

"If you're not with us, you're against us!" is always in the wrong in my view, and walking away from a pair of that makes a lot of sense.

However there's that trolley problem.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trolley_problem

It's clear that not choosing is choosing in that. Or it could be there's no one to harm on the other track. Or there is valuable property, which the owner will sue you for damaging if you save the people. There are infinite variations on that trolley problem.

I don't consider the trolley problem to be an example of choosing between evils though, unless you extend the hypothetical to including you having deliberately instigated it in the first place.

veti
2018-10-13, 02:26 AM

I think it's very much the point. If he considers them both evil, then why not kill them both? How many innocents have to die so that Geralt can keep his precious hands "clean"?

Keltest
2018-10-13, 07:20 AM
I think it's very much the point. If he considers them both evil, then why not kill them both? How many innocents have to die so that Geralt can keep his precious hands "clean"?

Neither of them are innocent, and he does indeed get involved when one party attempts a massacre in crowded marketplace to force the other party to expose themselves. But until that point, the fight was strictly between the two parties.

Furthermore, Geralt is responsible only for his own actions. The entire origin of the conflict was the result of one of the parties attempting to take the "lesser evil" and murder the other as a child because she was allegedly the victim of a curse that may or may not have even actually existed. Its an open question whether she would have been anything other than a normal girl if not for the intervention of the other party during her childhood.

Honest Tiefling
2018-10-21, 08:43 PM
Zaydos made some items based on me, so I felt it only appropriate to broadcast their work. I don't think anyone would actually use them, but I would be tickled pink if they did.

And hey, if everyone else is using their signature for an ego boost, why not? I am a very good tiefling, thank you.

Devils_Advocate
2018-11-29, 06:25 PM
That's not the point.
To clarify, "That's not the point" effectively means the same thing as "I don't care about that", right?

The idea is that there is a third, non-evil option to be taken.
Sometimes one has that luxury, but to choose that third option then isn't "not to choose at all". Isn't it not?

... The grammar may have gotten away from me with that last question.

I don't consider the trolley problem to be an example of choosing between evils though, unless you extend the hypothetical to including you having deliberately instigated it in the first place.
But both options being bad is part of what's meant by "trolley problem" in the broad sense. Are you just making a purely semantic claim about how you use the term "evil"? That's not the point.

:P

Nifft
2018-12-03, 12:35 PM
But both options being bad is part of what's meant by "trolley problem" in the broad sense. Are you just making a purely semantic claim about how you use the term "evil"? That's not the point.

"Bad" and "Evil" are different things, though.

Seeing an ugly lose-lose situation in which someone is definitely going to die is bad.

Deciding to sacrifice one person and taking action which directly results in that person's death is (potentially, in some opinions) evil.

-- -- --

As an aside, I think we could formulate morality derails as a Trolley Problem.

Do you prefer to let the misleading ignorance persist, or derail the discussion (potentially causing harm to yourself) to correct the misconception?

-- -- --

Anyway, back on topic -- I use my sig to solicit feedback for homebrew.

Knaight
2018-12-03, 07:22 PM

Seeing an ugly lose-lose situation in which someone is definitely going to die is bad.

Deciding to sacrifice one person and taking action which directly results in that person's death is (potentially, in some opinions) evil.

Let's be clear here being in an ugly lose lose situation where someone is going to die and then choosing to let five people die instead of getting involved so that one person dies instead is also, potentially, in some opinions, evil - and while it's often circumstantial the specific context of people already on the track in a trolley problem is the sort of context where that's most likely to apply.

Nifft
2018-12-03, 08:36 PM
Let's be clear here being in an ugly lose lose situation where someone is going to die and then choosing to let five people die instead of getting involved so that one person dies instead is also, potentially, in some opinions, evil - and while it's often circumstantial the specific context of people already on the track in a trolley problem is the sort of context where that's most likely to apply.

That's insufficient clarity, though.

Here's what we'd need to say to be clear:

- Some people think that not taking an action means you are beyond reproach: that not taking any action means you are not responsible, and therefore inaction insulates you from any wrongdoing. This is consistent with modern legal codes. These people think that switching tracks -- even if it results in higher global utility -- would make you responsible for the death that followed, and that makes your action more evil than inaction would have been. Again, this is consistent with modern legal codes. If this thing with the trolley is supposed to be happening in real life, then the easily foreseeable legal consequences to the "player" for action vs. inaction are not negligible.

- Some people think that all of the evil belongs to the person who set up the lose-lose scenario, and no action you take can be evil because the whole situation isn't your fault. You can act to maximize global utility (by flipping the switch), or you can refuse to flip the switch. Neither is evil, because all the evil belongs to whoever tied the people to the tracks in the first place with the intent to see at least some of them die. This is internally consistent but difficult to use, because it relies on an omniscient perspective to assign guilt according to off-screen actions -- which might not be known in real life.

- Some people believe that any situation you see which has a solution you can provide is your responsibility. This means you are evil if you don't take action to help others, and it's mostly consistent with comic-book morality: Spiderman & Superman are often blamed for failing or for not acting swiftly enough.

- The most hilarious one I've seen was where the five people were all attempting suicide, and the one person was asleep due to some kind of medication interaction (I think). Not sure allowing five suicides is more evil than killing one man who wants to live.

Anyway, it's still funny how easily the trolley problem can derail.

Something something virtue signaling on the trolley tracks something something.

Keltest
2018-12-03, 09:10 PM

- Some people think that not taking an action means you are beyond reproach: that not taking any action means you are not responsible, and therefore inaction insulates you from any wrongdoing. This is consistent with modern legal codes. These people think that switching tracks -- even if it results in higher global utility -- would make you responsible for the death that followed, and that makes your action more evil than inaction would have been. Again, this is consistent with modern legal codes. If this thing with the trolley is supposed to be happening in real life, then the easily foreseeable legal consequences to the "player" for action vs. inaction are not negligible.

- Some people think that all of the evil belongs to the person who set up the lose-lose scenario, and no action you take can be evil because the whole situation isn't your fault. You can act to maximize global utility (by flipping the switch), or you can refuse to flip the switch. Neither is evil, because all the evil belongs to whoever tied the people to the tracks in the first place with the intent to see at least some of them die. This is internally consistent but difficult to use, because it relies on an omniscient perspective to assign guilt according to off-screen actions -- which might not be known in real life.

- Some people believe that any situation you see which has a solution you can provide is your responsibility. This means you are evil if you don't take action to help others, and it's mostly consistent with comic-book morality: Spiderman & Superman are often blamed for failing or for not acting swiftly enough.

- The most hilarious one I've seen was where the five people were all attempting suicide, and the one person was asleep due to some kind of medication interaction (I think). Not sure allowing five suicides is more evil than killing one man who wants to live.

Well if the trolley tracks had some kind of signal, they wouldn't need people to pull the lever!

Nifft
2018-12-03, 09:16 PM
Well if the trolley tracks had some kind of signal, they wouldn't need people to pull the lever!

Clearly the budget cuts which caused the signals to break down are the true source of evil.

The mustache-twirling fellow with the chloroform and cable-ties was just another victim.

halfeye
2018-12-03, 09:55 PM

Yeah, there are legal complications if it was happening for real.

There was a law somewhere in the USA for some time, I think it got changed again, about witness responsibility. What happened was that a woman was murdered, and a lot of people heard it happening, but no-one called the police. So there was a law made that made not calling the police to report a murder in progress an offence, which turned out to be a not very helpful law.

veti
2018-12-04, 10:58 AM
There are such things as "good samaritan" laws, which protect you from legal liability if you act to help others. There is also a concept of "duty to rescue", although that's usually restricted to special circumstances. Of course all varies by jurisdiction.

CheesePirate
2018-12-14, 11:03 AM

I use mine to shamelessly advertise my Yule calendar comic threads.

I did have a quote there before, but recently ran out of characters and had to remove it. I thought about making an extended signature so I could add the quote again, but...do people usually take the time to look at those?

JMS
2018-12-15, 06:23 PM
I thought about making an extended signature so I could add the quote again, but...do people usually take the time to look at those?
Well, I like to use others sigs to view parts of the forum from before I joined

2D8HP
2018-12-15, 11:52 PM
Well, I like to use others sigs to view parts of the forum from before I joined

I followed a sig to a thread to another thread and then from sigs to threads from 2016 back to 2005!

Made me appreciate this Forum even more!

Rockphed
2018-12-16, 05:58 PM
The mustache-twirling fellow with the chloroform and cable-ties was just another victim.

I am fairly certain that that is somebody else's argument. It comes up a lot in the OotS comic discussions threads. I think the recent threads have been about 50% either discussion of that argument, or complaining about the prevalence of discussion of that argument, or snide remarks about how that argument, if applied globally, just leads to chaos and despair.

My signature holds quotes and such that I found amusing when I inserted them. Some of them I don't remember why I found them amusing. At one point my sig was an advertisement for the Nacho Army, who were going to conquer the board and lead everyone to a cheese and corn chip utopia. I think they were opposed by cookie legions, but it was a while ago. After we had started making moves on the Random Banter thread, the mods told us to cut it out, so we did.

Albion
2018-12-17, 02:43 PM
My signature is to warn humans of the perils of alcohol.

Meaphe
2019-01-16, 06:53 PM
I often see sigs and know who it is, generally a single quote or link is all you really need, anything more throw it in a spoiler

Eldest
2019-01-22, 01:21 AM
Letting somebody queer know they aren't alone.

ForzaFiori
2019-01-27, 11:20 AM
[posting so I can see my sig, I can't remember what's in it]

Alright, so I have cut my sig down (I used to have a quote and shout-outs to games I was in). Right now my sig is just the credit for my avatar and a shoutout to my alma mater's football team (and other sports I guess, but Clemson is only really good at football). Before, as I said above, I had a quote that I thought was funny and links to the games I was in, but all those games are long dead. I honestly don't remember why I got rid of the quote.

Devils_Advocate
2019-02-27, 05:42 PM
Do you mean to assert that "evil" is never a synonym for "bad", even in a context in which it is plainly intended as just such a synonym? More broadly speaking, do you believe that a word's meaning can be independent of things like context and usage? What even is meaning, in that case?

But let's temporarily put all of that aside and suppose that you're correct, just for the sake of argument (https://xkcd.com/1432/). Under the assumption that evil and bad are indeed different things, then I expect that in some cases the least bad option is not the least evil option, and vice versa. And as such, in some cases, the more evil of two options is better, i.e. more good, i.e. less bad.

So, if anything, your assertion seems to me to effectively recommend focusing on good and bad over all of this confusing moral stuff, since while the more moral option might be better, it also might not be. So why risk it?

danzibr
2019-02-28, 10:54 PM
Do you mean to assert that "evil" is never a synonym for "bad", even in a context in which it is plainly intended as just such a synonym? More broadly speaking, do you believe that a word's meaning can be independent of things like context and usage? What even is meaning, in that case?

But let's temporarily put all of that aside and suppose that you're correct, just for the sake of argument (https://xkcd.com/1432/). Under the assumption that evil and bad are indeed different things, then I expect that in some cases the least bad option is not the least evil option, and vice versa. And as such, in some cases, the more evil of two options is better, i.e. more good, i.e. less bad.

So, if anything, your assertion seems to me to effectively recommend focusing on good and bad over all of this confusing moral stuff, since while the more moral option might be better, it also might not be. So why risk it?
To me, evil is bad+. Or bad- depending on your point of view.

Cazero
2019-03-02, 12:37 PM
To me, evil is bad+. Or bad- depending on your point of view.
So that's what people meant when talking about absolute morality : they're saying the units used to measure morality don't accept negative numbers as values, wich forces people to use different units for good and evil rather than opposites direction on a single axis !

Dragonquetra
2019-03-08, 09:30 AM
Once I have 10 posts I'll be using my sig to boost the signal of my YouTube channel.