PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Gallant (full class) Rework

Mourne
2018-09-08, 04:59 PM
The Gallant was a class that I entered in one of the earlier 5E class design contests. It was...OK, but didn't really portray what I was intending other than a semi-port of the PFRPG Cavalier.

First, some background. For me personal campaign, I have an overarching theme that encompasses a group of classes. The Gallant falls under the "martial" theme along with the Fighter and the Berserker (a minor rework of the Barbarian). Within this grouping, the Gallant was intended to fill a leader/buff role and, as such, borrowed some of the features from the BM (which I removed from my own campaign because it was now redundant). IMO, I was successful here and also able to move over the one feature of the Cavalier that I wanted (challenges). What was not so successful -- and another thing I try to do with each class -- is having it play differently than the other classes in its group. In the end, it felt like the fighter archetype BM with some extra tricks and fewer attacks.

Well, this version attempts to rectify that. The Gallant no longer gains the typical 5th level "Extra Attack" feature. Instead, increasing the amount of reactions they're able to do in a given round; reactions which can only be used for either opportunity attacks or to fuel their "Heroic Deeds" feature. I'm very curious as to how this will play out balance-wise as -- obviously -- reactions are replenished each round. As a "fuel source" for a feature, this is a big departure from the normal short/long rest replenishment mechanic.

In addition, I've removed some feature bloat in the core class and tweaked a number of the other features.

Please let me know what you think.

GMBinder: Gallant (https://www.gmbinder.com/share/-L7ImRiS1b1HC3BcakEU)

JNAProductions
2018-09-22, 06:38 PM
So, I'd love to review your class, same as you did for mine.

Unfortunately, half of it is cut off.

Meaning I cannot.