PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Savage Worlds questions, trying to find or convert power for supers game

Gr7mm Bobb
2018-09-08, 11:24 PM
I have a character concept in mind for a Savage Worlds Deluxe game that I will be playing in, but cannot seem to find a power or ability that does what I am looking for. Basic concept is that the guy is an fire based diviner that goes by the handle of Sear (puns intended).

His main shtick is that he can see things by watching things burn. Missing child? Then burn their prized teddy bear and he can use his sorcery to read the flames and find them. The stronger the connection between either the giver and the object or the one being sought and the object, or all 3, the more precise and accurate the information will be.

Very much in the realm of "magic has a price". Main issue is, Super Sorcery exists to allow you to change up power on the fly, but only to grab powers from the supers book. None of the other super powers are designed to allow anyone to learn information remotely. Kinda super frustrating. I am trying to find powers that provide Divination and Scrying style abilities, GM is willing to work with me to convert things so long as its reasonable.

Other idea is to modify the Connections edge and have the connection be an other-worldy body.

Cealocanth
2018-09-11, 11:34 PM
I would ask your GM if you can take the Visions Social Edge from the Savage Worlds Horror companion, and just flavor your other abilities as precognition. You know, Uncanny Reflexes, Combat Edge (Dodge), Parry, Mind Reading, Jinx, super skills, stuff like that. SPC2 doesn't do diviner characters particularly well. My Greek Oracle character eventually became a healer because I couldn't make the build work.

LibraryOgre
2018-09-11, 11:56 PM
My lazy ass would just make it an Arcane Background: Pyromancer, with a fire trapping.

Powers:
Darksight
Detect Arcana
Divination
Farsight
Light/Obscure
Mind Reading
Speak Language

Since you've got the fire trapping that you're going to put on everything, and it's an expensive trapping, make it nice and worthwhile, especially for more powerful spells (Divination and Mind Reading). Maybe your divination requires the burning of an object, but a "standard" success is the 5 words version, while a raise is a longer response. Something simple, like Speak Language, might just involve burning a bit of the person you're trying to understand, or a slip of paper in the language you're dealing with. Farsight involves looking into a flame (thus, you need to sit and concentrate). All of these would push a standard success up to the usual Raise level (since they're slower, require fire, etc., and give a nice bonus on a raise.

Rhedyn
2018-09-13, 09:53 AM
I have a character concept in mind for a Savage Worlds Deluxe game that I will be playing in, but cannot seem to find a power or ability that does what I am looking for. Basic concept is that the guy is an fire based diviner that goes by the handle of Sear (puns intended).

His main shtick is that he can see things by watching things burn. Missing child? Then burn their prized teddy bear and he can use his sorcery to read the flames and find them. The stronger the connection between either the giver and the object or the one being sought and the object, or all 3, the more precise and accurate the information will be.

Very much in the realm of "magic has a price". Main issue is, Super Sorcery exists to allow you to change up power on the fly, but only to grab powers from the supers book. None of the other super powers are designed to allow anyone to learn information remotely. Kinda super frustrating. I am trying to find powers that provide Divination and Scrying style abilities, GM is willing to work with me to convert things so long as its reasonable.

Other idea is to modify the Connections edge and have the connection be an other-worldy body.
Teleportation, very limited -2 (you only move your perception and it comes right back), slow to activate -1(via lighting things on fire trapping), -1 requires device (specific Correspondence items)
Take the long range mod, so the ritual takes longer the farther you are looking.

That should cover most "seeing" abilities.

For Divination, I would eat 4 points and use the Divination power in the core book using a basic Super Heroes arcane background. 2 for the power, 2 for the 20 power points, pick spirit or smarting as the arcane skill die, depending on the trapping.

Gr7mm Bobb
2018-10-03, 08:26 AM
Super appreciate the help guys, my bad on the late response. The Visions edge is exactly what I wanted. It's fluffy, it has pre-built rules, and it has a nice margin of error.

The rest of the abilities can be accomplished with many of the suggestions above (thank you) and super sorcery. Adding super sorcery activation limitation to some powers can also help drive home the magic user vibe.

Another player has an idea to create a fusion based character and we're looking at creating a fusion modifier for the sidekick power. Not certain how to tackle it, is there anyone else who's attempted this kind of thing?

Rhedyn
2018-10-03, 09:59 AM
Another player has an idea to create a fusion based character and we're looking at creating a fusion modifier for the sidekick power. Not certain how to tackle it, is there anyone else who's attempted this kind of thing?That sounds like a switchable power with slow to activate and maybe even the gimmick hindrance.

And then other power could be contingent of different "fusions"

So say I have 15 points.
I'll have a Sidekick[5] that is switchable[2] to other powers but I must be touching [-1 limitation] and it is Slow to activate[-1].

Your other powers could be contingent [-1] on the "fusion" or You could have Switchable[2] 3 point powers [3] where the second option is Contingent on the "fusion", so after the fusion they become 4 point powers that could be entirely different.