PDA

View Full Version : dnd 5e Homebrew Race - The reborn

Bannan_mantis
2018-09-17, 01:52 AM
after some discussion on this I have made a new race that is based around the idea of a child being resurrected through magical ways and being resurrected in a way that gives the child their own special abilities. Please review it and tell me what abilities are op, what subraces are op and underpowered and suggest changes to make it overall better

A few notes about this;

-I decided to try and make this different to other races but still be a race so I have made a few changes that would make it feel different to other races.

-Firstly you are small but have 30 feet of movement speed, I feel it works like that from how active and energetic a child can be so I feel it works.

-Then the highest stat bonus you have is overall a +2 instead of the normal +3 like other races and I feel this works as a child isn’t fully grown and they wouldn’t have the full abilities like other characters but from their resurrection they would have more unique abilities so less ability score enhancements and more focused on unique abilities.

-I’ve also avoided making it increase INT or WIS as when a character is made with this race they are still young and most likely are still slightly foolish and unknowing about the world.

Reborns
A scared child’s soul is different to most, on the verge off death it can be noticed by other creatures from the sheer fear of death and hope for survival. Sometimes a being notices the child in pain and is willing to heal them to a state where they don’t die and live on. When this happens they become a reborn, they gain magical abilities and their new body is the same to their own only with slight changes depending on who brought you back but there is side effects. When a child becomes a reborn they lose all memory of their past life and the memories stay dormant in their mind, they also stay physically like a child and their new bodies never age.

Size: Small.

Speed: 30 feet.

Innocent Soul: You have advantage on saving throws against being charmed

Preserved: Immunity to old age, disease and you do not need food or water

Saved from Death: When making death saving throws you gain the ability to add half your proficiency bonus to the roll. In addition, if a enemy attacks you while you are unconscious it doesn't make the death saving throw automatically fail, instead it makes you roll the next death saving throw at disadvantage, if the enemies attacks you with a critical hit you make the next two death saving throws at disadvantage.

Childish Optimism: (this ability is optional) you gain the ability to have advantage on saving throws against being frightened but have disadvantage on insight checks

Ability Score Increase: Your Dexterity score increases by 1 and one additional ability score increases by 1

Fey Being: you become a Fey creature

Nature’s Weapons: you gain the ability to cast Shillelagh, dexterity is your spell casting modifier

Agility: you gain proficiency with acrobatics

Fey Step: As a bonus action, you can magically teleport up to 30 feet to an unoccupied space you can see. Once you use this trait, you can't do so again until you finish a short or long rest.

Languages: you can speak, read and write Common and Sylvan

Ability Score Increase: Your Charisma score increases by 1 and one additional ability score increases by 1

Celestial Being: you become a celestial creature

Angelic Magic: you learn the spare the dying and light cantrips and can cast healing word without using any spell slots (once per short rest), charisma is the spell casting modifier you use for this

Healing Hands:*As an action, you can touch a creature and cause it to regain a number of hit points equal to your level. Once you use this trait, you can't use it again until you finish a long rest.

Languages: you can speak, read and write Common and Celestial

Ability Score Increase: You can increase your Intelligence score by 1 and increase an additional score by 1

Arcane Proficiency: You can learn the Prestidigitation and Mage Hand cantrips and you learn how to cast mage armour, Intelligence is your spell casting ability for this.

Languages: You can speak, read and write Common

Ability Score Increase: You can increase your Constitution score by 1 and increase an additional score by 1

Necrotic Being: you become a undead creature

Necrotic Defence: You have resistance to necrotic damage

Fake Healing: When a enemy hits you with a attack that would lower your health to zero you are able to change it so your health goes to 1 instead and you gain 5 temporary hit points (once per long rest)

Deadly Touch: you can cast chill touch and toll the dead at will, Constitution is your spell casting modifier for this

Languages: you can speak, read and write Common and can communicate with undead beings

nickl_2000
2018-09-17, 08:07 AM
One thing first, I'm not a huge fan of a PC becoming something other than a humanoid. That breaks a lot of spells that are designed to be able to be used against PC (hold person for example). I think you would be better off adding an addition type like UA Centaurs do.

Overall rance
Saved from Death
This ability feel clunky and confusing to me. There is a lot going on here and seems like it would be forgotten due to how often a death saving throws happen. I think it needs more clarification and modification.

Childish Optimism
Not a huge fan of this ability being optional. I would suggest you either give it and make it part of the lore or drop it completely.

Soul Detection
Giving this to a martial class makes invisibility and surprise basically pointless. A martial class will always have it up and be able to sense those races coming. It either needs to be limited to a certain number of times per day, or dropped completely.

Fey
Nature’s Weapons I assume that this is so that you can sneak attack, but why? Do you really want a rogue with PAM on a staff, attacking with a casting stat and sneak attacking with it as well? Also, no matter what you need a casting stat on this so we know what stat to use for Shillelagh

Celestial
Angelic Magic A free choice at a level 1 cleric spell is to powerful IMO. I would lock it down to 1 spell that fits the fluff you are going for. Bless, Sanctuary, and healing word would all be solid choices

Arcane
ASI - Find a fluff here. You aren't focused in giving Wisdom, Charisma, Int and 1 other free. Personally I would suggest intelligence due to other abilities you have in here
Arcane Proficiency There is no casting stat defined here. Also 3 free cantrips is WAY, WAY to much. 1 free cantrip is fine based on the high elf, but 3 is to much. Additionally you give a choice of a level 1 spell of whatever type you want? This ability really needs a focus, figure out what are you trying to get at and use that.
Personally I would give Mage Hand, Prestidigitation cantrips and for a level 1 spells have it be Mage Armor, but that is just me.

Spell-casting Potency - This is confusing and unclear what it actually does. And if I'm reading that you half your prof bonus to damage it's way to much. Drop it completely, this race is powerful enough without it.

Arcane Senses - May as well call this at will detect magic, because that's what it is. I would limit this. Make it a burst that can be done once per short rest, it's instant, and doesn't require concentration. THat makes it more fluff and less combat useful.

Undead
Fake Healing I don't understand this at all. Can you clarify it a little more?

Over all you have some really good ideas here, but I think there is a lot that needs focus and reduction. Pretty much all of these racial choices feel overpowered to me and need to be tamed down compared to other racial choices in 5e.

Bannan_mantis
2018-09-18, 03:08 AM
I've made the majority of the adjustments you have asked to this and I would like to remark on a few things, the racial abilities are meant to be more powerful than the other racial abilities as the mechanical feel of the race is having powerful racial abilities but low ASI. I also do thank you on a few of your ideas and would like to remark on what you said about childish optimism, it's meant to be about how the character when resurrected has their personality stay in a somewhat childlike state and that ability reflects that in my opinion. I am also considering adding a additional debuff to it similar to sunlight sensitivity where it is linked to how they died, wording it and the mechanics of it are a bit hard to figure out but that could also balance it more against the powerful racial abilities they already have.