PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Low-Power Gestalt Rules

continuumg
2018-09-19, 04:38 PM
I really love the variability added by allowing my players gestalt characters, however I feel the normal way of doing this is too efficient when it comes to eliminating class weaknesses. Weaknesses serve an important role in both games and storytelling.
In case you aren’t aware; gestalt characters take two classes, and gain the best of both. They gain all class features and class skills of both classes, as well as the good saves of both classes, and the highest BAB progression, hit die, and number of skill ranks of the classes. This can result in full BAB full casters with three good saves, or characters with access to double the number of spells as a normal full caster, which I feel is a little silly.
Here are a few small changes I make to gestalt campaigns I run.

Spellcasting:
This is the biggest change I make. A gestalt character under my rules gets the average Spellcasting progression of his two classes, rounded down (Progressions are none, 1/4, 1/2, and full). For example, a fighter/wizard would get 1/4 casting while a Paladin/cleric would get 1/2 casting. If a character chooses two prepared classes, their spells are prepared. The same goes for spontaneous. Otherwise the player may choose, or cast semi-prepared, as an Arcanist (I might add charts here for 1/4 and 1/2 semi-prepared casters later). If the two classes use different primary casting attributes, the player may choose one of the two. The character has access to the spell lists of both his classes, if any.

Saving Throws
Players gain all the good saving throws that their two classes share. If either class has a good save that is not shared, the player chooses one to gain as a good save. For example, a fighter/monk would have good Fort saves, and their choice of good Ref or Will saves.

BAB / HD
Players gain the average BAB and Hit Dice of their classes, rounding BAB down and Hit Dice up. For example, a Barbarian/Wizard would have a d10 Hit Die and 3/4 BAB progression.

Class Skills (Optional)
Players choose a number of skills from each class’s list of class skills equal to that class’s number of skill ranks before modifiers to gain as class skills.

Skill Ranks
Players gain the average number of skill ranks from their classes. For example, a Bard/Rogue would get 7+Int ranks per level.

Class Features
Players get all other features of each class as normal.