PDA

View Full Version : PbP Help

CMOTDibbler
2007-09-15, 10:08 PM
I just registered and have been looking at the post-by-post games, but don't fully understand it. Is there a discription? Can you start your own game? Any spesific rules to speak of? Does the DM/GM give you a character to play or do you play your own?

blackout
2007-09-15, 10:10 PM
Uh...wow....just...just wow.

XD

The Orange Zergling
2007-09-15, 10:13 PM

XD

As opposed to actually, y'know, helping him. :smallsigh:

I don't go there, but I believe each thread has it's own specific rules. Threads in the Finding Players forum, anyway. Ongoing Games are for games in progress, and it's not a good idea to barge in on them.

CMOTDibbler
2007-09-15, 10:24 PM

XD

What? Who are you? Who am I? What is this?

blackout
2007-09-15, 10:24 PM
Yeah, don't worry. There's no rules about setting up your own game or something. It's just I didn't expect some thread labled 'Help!!!!!' to be something like this.

JackMage666
2007-09-15, 10:25 PM
I've never actually played, but I believe it's just like playing at a table. You make your own character, you roll die (using an online die roller, you link the result), but some games might be different.

Roland St. Jude
2007-09-15, 10:25 PM
Hello and welcome! You may find this Guide to PbP (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46074) helpful. In fact, I strongly advise reading it and maybe lurking around for a while before jumping right in.

The place you want to look is this general area (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3) or, more specifically, the Recruitment area (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51).

Basically, games are usually organized by DMs who then recuit players by posting in the currently recruiting thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26589&page=13). If you see a game there that looks interesting, follow the link or PM the DM as directed. :smallsmile:

P.S. In the interest of getting you more responsive and less confused replies, I have changed the thread title to something a little more descriptive and a little less...frantic. :smallamused:

CMOTDibbler
2007-09-16, 09:11 AM
Okay, cool. Thanks a lot.

Bryn
2007-09-16, 09:31 AM
I'm probably going to duplicate a lot of the text in the Guide that Roland St. Jude posted, so sorry if all this is duplicates of what you've already read :smallamused:

The way it usually works is that the DM will post in the recruiting forum, with details about his game: what sort of characters to make, what sort of game it will be, the rule system, important background, etc. Then, players browse the recruiting forum (or the currently recruiting thread), and if a game looks interesting, they will post to say that they're interested in playing.

After that, they will make a character, and either post the description or link in the game's thread or link to it. Often, there will be more players than the DM wants, so they'll choose a certain number of players from those who have posted their characters.

Once all the characters are ready, the DM will post a thread in the In Character forum (and usually link to it in the original recruiting thread). They will also start an OOC thread for out-of-character discussion about the game. Many games use the original recruiting thread as an OOC thread instead of starting a new one.

The players generally describe their character in the first post, as well as posting actions. The DM will usually wait for all players to post before posting an update himself. From then on, the players post their characters' actions and the DM posts their result and what the characters see, as well as asking for dice rolls when necessary: it is a common practice for players to include several unmodified dice rolls rolled with the board's dice roller at the end of their post, which the DM can then add modifiers to as appropriate.

Writing is generally like a story: players usually write in third person, describing their actions in prose in their post before writing the mechanical details in tags. For example, a player might write the following:

Yelling "For justice and freedom!", Fred swings his sword at the Orc in an overhead blow, aiming to decapitate the foul creature.
Attacking Orc, Power Attacking for two: Attack roll: 1d20+4 Damage roll: 1d8+6
The damage roll is included even though the player doesn't know whether the attack hits or not: if he misses, it is ignored.

Anyway, that's all I can think of to write: hopefully it will be informative! :smallsmile:

Edit: Oops, forgot the board dicroller doesn't work outside the Play-by-Post forum...