PDA

View Full Version : Shell Defense Rework

TripleD
2018-09-23, 10:56 PM
Original:

Shell Defense. You can withdraw into your shell as an action. Until you emerge, you gain a +4 bonus to AC, and you have advantage on Strength and Constitution saving throws. While in your shell, you are prone, your speed is 0 and can't increase, you have disadvantage on Dexterity saving throws, you can't take reactions, and the only action you can take is a bonus action to emerge from your shell.

My version:

Shell Defense: You can withdraw into your shell as a reaction when you are targeted by a spell or attack. Until you emerge you are prone and have half-cover. While in your shell your speed is 0 and can't increase, and you automatically fail any Strength or Dexterity saving throws. You may take no actions or reactions except a bonus action to emerge from your shell.

I was looking into playing a Tortle character but the Shell Defense feature looked odd. I couldn’t think of any case where I would use it instead of just dodge or falling prone. The advantage on STR and CON saving throws also felt off (why would being in your shell make you more resistant to poison?)

This move to a reaction is to cement it as a defensive action. Also added the success on DEX saves against damage because it feels thematically more appropriate (hiding from a Dragons breath for example) and is basically just a slight rewording of what one point of the Shield Master feat give you.

I tried to add in a few more penalties (blinded, no +4 to AC, etc.) to make up for its increased utility, but I’m curious if there’s something I’m not thinking of.

nickl_2000
2018-09-24, 07:12 AM
Well, the first thing is that you aren't giving a trigger for the reaction. What is it a reaction to?

Frankly looking at it, this ability has now become a reaction to automatically succeed on dex saving throws and has no other uses. You don't gain defense, anyone attacking you has advantage since you are blind. I think you nerfed it to much to be honest.

TripleD
2018-09-24, 08:07 AM
[Well, the first thing is that you aren't giving a trigger for the reaction. What is it a reaction to?
[\quote]

Good catch. I’ve updated it to be when you are targeted by an attack or spell effect.

Frankly looking at it, this ability has now become a reaction to automatically succeed on dex saving throws and has no other uses. You don't gain defense, anyone attacking you has advantage since you are blind. I think you nerfed it to much to be honest.

I could have sworn that blinded only gave advantage to melee attacks, but apparently I remembered wrong. I added that condition so that if you use it you lose sight of any creature you are concentrating on, but there doesn’t seem to be any way to gracefully work that in.

The goal of this was essentially make Shell Defense have two uses: protection against ranged attacks and certain spell effects. There was no real reason to use the original over dodge or simply dropping prone (actually using dodge and dropping prone would be better against melee attacks since they no longer have advantage).

I imagine this as being essentially seeing an attack and snapping in to your shell to try and defend yourself.

nickl_2000
2018-09-24, 08:12 AM
Have you considered going the other way with this? It would be much simpler.

As a reaction to an attack you can withdrawn quickly into your shell. Doing so give 0 speed and is prone and gives you half cover. However, you automatically fail any strength or dexterity saving throws until you emerge from the shell. Doing so costs a bonus action.

So now, your hard shell protects you from attacks. It uses a build in mechanic in prone and cover, but it also makes you super vulnerable to AoE spells.

TripleD
2018-09-24, 05:18 PM
Have you considered going the other way with this? It would be much simpler.

As a reaction to an attack you can withdrawn quickly into your shell. Doing so give 0 speed and is prone and gives you half cover. However, you automatically fail any strength or dexterity saving throws until you emerge from the shell. Doing so costs a bonus action.

So now, your hard shell protects you from attacks. It uses a build in mechanic in prone and cover, but it also makes you super vulnerable to AoE spells.

You’re right. I was making it way more complicated than it needs to be. I liked the idea of drawing in to your shell to avoid AoE effects, but then I needed extra wording to avoid stepping on Evasion’s toes and ended up with a bit of a mess. In any case a racial ability shouldn’t be too overpowered to begin with.

Thanks for the constructive feedback and the elegant solution with half-cover.

nickl_2000
2018-09-25, 07:15 AM
You’re right. I was making it way more complicated than it needs to be. I liked the idea of drawing in to your shell to avoid AoE effects, but then I needed extra wording to avoid stepping on Evasion’s toes and ended up with a bit of a mess. In any case a racial ability shouldn’t be too overpowered to begin with.

Thanks for the constructive feedback and the elegant solution with half-cover.

Sure, and sorry for the poor grammar (looked back at the post and it obviously needed some interpretation). I was running on to little sleep yesterday.