PDA

View Full Version : Monk/lock stats question

Vaklor4
2018-09-24, 08:19 AM
My DM allowed me to swap characters into something more interesting, so I ended up rolling a level 5 shadow monk, level 1 Undying Warlock. I took Mobile feat instead of ASI at 4. However my DM pointed out that my stats seem to be fairly middling in combat. Admittedly I went stealth and mobility before raw damage, but hex+flurry is no short amount of damage. That being said, is my stat line that bad?

14 str, 15 dex, 14 con, 6 int, 17 Wis, 15 Cha.

Only one +3, but everything other than my dump stat is below a +2.

tieren
2018-09-24, 08:47 AM
I'd swap your Wis and Dex, unless that is key to your concept of the character.

The Wis only helps on the DC for the stunning strikes, the Dex would help with to hit and damage of all attacks.

and your next ASI should definitely go to evening both of those out.

Vaklor4
2018-09-24, 08:59 AM
Actually, its literally impossible. I didnt roll higher than a 15, so my Firbolg racial gave me that 17 wis.

Unoriginal
2018-09-24, 09:05 AM
Well aside from being dumber than a troll, your PC has pretty great stats.

Why take Mobile now, though?

CTurbo
2018-09-24, 09:21 AM
Yeah I would go +1 Dex and Wis and then +2 Dex probably before considering any feats. That my 2 cents

Vaklor4
2018-09-24, 10:12 AM
My character isnt dumb in a normal sense, he was more or less just raised by monks, never REALLY left the temple, and by the time he did he was already well into adulthood, and was introverted as hell. So more "never got educated properly" than "born dumb as bricks".

Also, went with mobile because it more or less completes the build. It lets me run in, attack, run out, without hassle. Although yes, an ASI would have probably been smarter...But we already did one session so its too late now.

Millface
2018-09-24, 04:12 PM
monks can use ki to disengage, so I'm not getting it either.

I'm sure you're fine in combat, but an ASI instead of mobile gives you 2 AC, +1 to stun saves, +1 to attack and damage. Mobile isn't worth that by a long shot. You have 17 AC at level 4 with all kinds of fun monk abilities using Ki to keep you mobile and alive.

INT 6 doesn't mean uneducated. It does actually mean you're kind of stupid. You can't remember things as well as others, and thus learn more slowly. What you do learn often goes in one ear and out the other. INT is your capacity for learning in 5e, not what you've already learned. Skill proficiencies cover that aspect. If you were taught about religion, you'd roll checks at a -2 because you just can't recall what you learned because... well... you're dumber than a troll.

Corran
2018-09-24, 06:44 PM
I am not familiar with either the race or with the monk all that well (a little bit with shadow monk).

However, mobile paired with BB (from your warlock dip), would let you shadow step (bonus action) and BB with advantage, then moving away without taking any OA's from your target (if you do it against an enemy with no allies of yours adjacent to it, then this means some serious damage; even better if you do it against archers or casters, since they will probably move away and take the BB's secondary damage anyway, and since they are priority targets). Also, it will lift the need on using your bonus action (along with ki points) to disengage, whenever you use your bonus action to cast or to move hex.

Probably not better than a +1 DEX, +1 WIS, since both these stats happen to be odd numbers, and since you get shadow step at level 6 (also the BB damage has increased by then), but I think it would make an excellent feat pick at level 8 (9 for you, since you have that one warlock level).

Dalebert
2018-11-07, 10:44 AM
I really wish there was a darkness spell like 3.5 that was essentially dim light. As it is, shadow monks feel compelled to dip warlock.

tieren
2018-11-07, 11:44 AM
I really wish there was a darkness spell like 3.5 that was essentially dim light. As it is, shadow monks feel compelled to dip warlock.

I've seen some arguments (which I don't ascribe to) that dancing lights creates an area of dim light, even if cast in an area of bright light.