PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A How to put out a character on fire?

holywhippet
2018-09-25, 06:18 PM
If a character has a fire elemental enter their space in combat they take fire damage and get set on fire. The rules say someone can take an action to douse those flames - presumably just smacking them out somehow. But what else might be able to put out the flames? The create or destroy water springs to mind - additionally it should be able to damage the first elemental as well. I was thinking though that cold damage could also work - if you took enough of it perhaps.

Any other ideas?

Kane0
2018-09-25, 06:22 PM
The extreme answer would be Tomb of Levistus :smallbiggrin:

Finback
2018-09-25, 08:12 PM
Fall prone, use movement to roll away.

Lunali
2018-09-25, 09:05 PM
Decanter of water, tsunami, spherical wall of force for fun with physics, mold earth...

No brains
2018-09-25, 09:24 PM
I think the special effects cantrips, Prestidigitation, Thaumaturgy, and Druidcraft all have listed effect pertaining to fires, so I'd let one of those help put out a fire.

stoutstien
2018-09-25, 11:16 PM
Thus is born the defensive use if water sphere.

Toadkiller
2018-09-25, 11:20 PM
Technically all I think one has to do is say “I use my action to put out the fire.” Of course at my table that would prompt the question of how, but any reasonable sounding explanation would be fine.

Lunali
2018-09-25, 11:23 PM
Wish, inprisonment:burial, control weather..

holywhippet
2018-09-26, 01:50 AM
Technically all I think one has to do is say “I use my action to put out the fire.” Of course at my table that would prompt the question of how, but any reasonable sounding explanation would be fine.

I know that, but I was thinking in terms of getting more bang for your buck. For example, create or destroy water could put out several characters on fire and also damage the fire elemental. If cold damage could put it out you could use a spell like cone of cold or dragons breath and include the burning character(s) in the AoE.

kamap
2018-09-26, 02:42 AM
If you have a way to suck out the oxygen from the room, while everyone holds their breath, you put out the fires and the fire elemental in one fell swoop. Don't leave the air out for to long else you'll have to look at the suffocation rules.

nickl_2000
2018-09-26, 06:54 AM
Shape Water should be enough to put it out to as long as you have a water source to dump on top of them.
Control Flames would definitely work
Gust may work (I mean it's enough to push a medium humanoid 5 feet, that's a strong wind, and may put out a fire).

KorvinStarmast
2018-09-26, 06:59 AM
Gust may work (I mean it's enough to push a medium humanoid 5 feet, that's a strong wind, and may put out a fire). Or it may feed the fire and make it worse. :smalleek:

nickl_2000
2018-09-26, 07:03 AM
Or it may feed the fire and make it worse. :smalleek:

Either way it should be fun. Cast it on your "friend" who has ticked you off last session and see what happens :smallbiggrin:

Asmotherion
2018-09-26, 07:07 AM
The extreme answer would be Tomb of Levistus :smallbiggrin:
You're not thinking big enough; Use Wish to teleport them into the Actual Tomb of Levistus, in Stygia, Nine Hells. That is Extreme. :P

nickl_2000
2018-09-26, 07:16 AM
You're not thinking big enough; Use Wish to teleport them into the Actual Tomb of Levistus, in Stygia, Nine Hells. That is Extreme. :P

What about Banishment into the plane of water?
Meld into stone should work
Cone of Cold may not be RAW, but I'd allow it.
Wall of Water placed in the right place should be fine
Ice Storm?
Casting Disintegrate would work perfectly as long as they failed the save. I mean there would be no fuel left to burn
Tidal Wave
Tsunami

Sigreid
2018-09-26, 07:49 AM
Hold the player under water for no less than 10 minutes. You don't want a re-ignition.

Legendairy
2018-09-26, 09:37 AM
Have a character with a frostbrand for just such an occasion. Isn’t there a cantrip somewhere that allows you to dowse fire, I think thaumaturgy and Prestidigitation were already mentioned as well. Throw them in a water elemental? Mold earth to smother it...it being whatever. Ice knife may work. Ray of frost maybe. Cone of cold would probably work. Etherealness maybe. Jump into the far realm so the fire turns into hamburgers with forked tongues?

DarkKnightJin
2018-09-27, 01:38 AM
Sweep the leg to help them stop, drop, and roll.

Obviously, this is most thematic if you're a Monk from the Cobra Kai dojo.

Lunali
2018-09-27, 06:19 AM
What about Banishment into the plane of water?

Only works if they're a native to the plane of water, for others you'll need plane shift instead.