PDA

View Full Version : Spell- Triple Foul

CrazyMuffinMan
2007-09-16, 04:00 PM
Triple Foul
Necromancy
Level: Sor/Wiz 5, Brd 5, Tac (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3199598) 4, Hex 4

Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 round
Range: Medium (100 ft + 10 ft/level)
Target: One living creature
Duration: 1 round/level
Saving Throw: Fortitude partial
Spell Resistance: Yes

Effect: Casting this spell severely disrupts the physical senses and capabilities of its target. For the allotted duration, the target is blinded, deafened and silenced. A successful fortitude save allows only one of the effects to take, negating all three only on a natural 20.

d6

1-2 Blinded
3-4 Deafened
5-6 Silenced

Total penalties from triple foul

-2 AC
Flat-footed
1/2 speed
-4 Search, most Str and Dex checks, and initiative
Can't make vision-based, language-dependent, or hearing-based checks.
Can't use any sonic abilities or any abilities that require speaking
All the affected's attacks have 50% miss chance against them
Can't cast spells with verbal components (silence overrides this part of the deaf effect)

**I may change this so deafness is replaced by sleep. However, it would seem a little redundant, practically turning this spell into Greater Slumber (as Deep Slumber, but unlimited by HD).

Lord Iames Osari
2007-09-16, 04:03 PM
This seems a bit too powerful for a 4th-level spell. I'd put it at 5th, myself.

CrazyMuffinMan
2007-09-16, 04:09 PM
This seems a bit too powerful for a 4th-level spell. I'd put it at 5th, myself.

5th works. :)

However, suppose I need to allow partial casters to use this. What do you think I would need to take out to make it 4th-capable and still be worthy of the spell's name? Would changing the save to "Fort negates" do the trick?

Lord Iames Osari
2007-09-16, 04:23 PM
Mmmm... for the partial casters, 4th is fine. But make it 5th for the full casters.

CrazyMuffinMan
2007-09-16, 04:35 PM
Changes applied. Thanks Lord Iames Osari.

BRC
2007-09-16, 04:36 PM
I was hoping this would somehow involve summoing a chicken, a Duck, and a Turkey.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-09-16, 04:37 PM
That would be Triple Fowl, not Triple Foul.

Edea
2007-09-16, 05:39 PM
Opinions: the casting time should be a swift action, the target should be a piece of ammunition or a weapon capable of being thrown, and the description would indicate that someone should have to successfully strike a target with that ranged weapon in the same round in order for the spell to discharge. Actually, I guess it could target any weapon, but ranged ones would be preferable. Also, just make the target save separately versus each status effect; Fort negates for all three (that natural 20 part is a bit off).

I'm surprised the three ailments inflicted aren't blindness, silence, and sleep.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-09-16, 05:49 PM
Your range is a bit unusual as well. Most spells have a range of Personal, Touch, Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels), Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level), or Long (400 ft. + 40 ft./level). There's nothing that says that a spell has to have one of the standard ranges, but I just thought I'd throw this out there.

CrazyMuffinMan
2007-09-16, 07:24 PM
Opinions: the casting time should be a swift action, the target should be a piece of ammunition or a weapon capable of being thrown, and the description would indicate that someone should have to successfully strike a target with that ranged weapon in the same round in order for the spell to discharge. Actually, I guess it could target any weapon, but ranged ones would be preferable. Also, just make the target save separately versus each status effect; Fort negates for all three (that natural 20 part is a bit off).

I'm surprised the three ailments inflicted aren't blindness, silence, and sleep.

You'd be very happy to know that I have an entire -class- based on that, and it gets to use this spell in precisely this manner. :smallbiggrin: :smalltongue: (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3199598)

In fact, Wakka was my inspiration for that class (and partially Nash).