PDA

View Full Version : Example of an untrained Knowledge (Nature) check...

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-09-16, 06:55 PM
...with a negative intelligence modifier.

http://www.fairplex.com/2007/video/CASHMERE.mov

This is the first time I do believe I've ever laughed while also trying to keep down bile http://forums.gleemax.com/images/smilies/twitch.gif

evisiron
2007-09-16, 07:11 PM
Hehe, very good. Crazy Americans...:smallbiggrin:

CrazyMuffinMan
2007-09-16, 07:21 PM
...with a negative intelligence modifier.

http://www.fairplex.com/2007/video/CASHMERE.mov

This is the first time I do believe I've ever laughed while also trying to keep down bile http://forums.gleemax.com/images/smilies/twitch.gif

...and a natural 1, and -bestow curse- on ability/skill checks. YIKES.

Brickwall
2007-09-16, 07:25 PM
XD

That's soooo wrong.

In so many ways.

Green Bean
2007-09-16, 07:29 PM
See, this is why I'm glad I lived in a place where 'my cow was giving birth' is a valid excuse for missing class. Saves you from looking like...that.

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2007-09-16, 07:31 PM
wow....that's about all I can summon to say about that. But do have to give kudos to the writers of that commercial for taking a pot shot at the Paris Hilton stereotype.

SurlySeraph
2007-09-16, 07:31 PM
I know some people who know about that much about nature. They all have tons of ranks in Knowledge (fashion) and Knowledge (cell phones), though, so I don't think they necessarily have Int penalties. :smalltongue:

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-09-16, 07:39 PM
Bah, you mean crazy Californians, which is also an oxymoron :smallamused:

...which is odd because Krimm has informed me that california is also one of the biggest bovine raising states.

Crazy california coasters then, I dunno.

Em Blackleaf
2007-09-16, 07:43 PM
Bah, you mean crazy Californians, which is also an oxymoron :smallamused:

...which is odd because Krimm has informed me that california is also one of the biggest bovine raising states.

Crazy california coasters then, I dunno.

But, but, I'm from California, and I'm smarter than that.

Dragonrider
2007-09-16, 08:18 PM
Em, you're also posting on the GiantITP forums, showing (I hope) a higher-than-average intelligence stat (either that or we're all morons).

No...I know some girls like that too.
And then they ask me "Why don't you spend time with girls your own age? You MUST have something in common!"
:smalltongue: OK, I live in a cowboy town, half the people I know have been riding since before they could walk and know more about cows than I ever will, or ever want to.

But...
sickening.

Em Blackleaf
2007-09-16, 08:24 PM
Em, you're also posting on the GiantITP forums, showing (I hope) a higher-than-average intelligence stat (either that or we're all morons).

No...I know some girls like that too.
And then they ask me "Why don't you spend time with girls your own age? You MUST have something in common!"
:smalltongue: OK, I live in a cowboy town, half the people I know have been riding since before they could walk and know more about cows than I ever will, or ever want to.

But...
sickening.

No, I'm sure you're not morons... oh, and me too, I'm not a moron either! :smalltongue:

But, yes, that's just sickening.
However, I imagine the actresses are smarter than that, as they can read the word cow on a script! :smallbiggrin:

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-09-17, 02:57 AM
hay im frum kalifarnea and im nat dum at al!

buneez r fuzee

i lyk buneez

LCR
2007-09-17, 03:32 AM
See, this is why I'm glad I lived in a place where 'my cow was giving birth' is a valid excuse for missing class. Saves you from looking like...that.

Well, they look good, don't they?

Youngblood
2007-09-17, 03:37 AM
I know it's just a comercial, but that was freakin' painful to watch. It's like watching a train wreck. You can see it coming, but there's just nothing you can do about it. Only in this case, brain cells are the only casualties.

The_Chilli_God
2007-09-17, 03:47 AM
I laugh, as it is a prime example of *Tsk Tsk* intelligence.

"Nice flock of cows."
"Herd of cows."
"Yes, I have. Heard of chickens?"

Ranis
2007-09-17, 05:47 AM
I can't imagine how very scary the LA county fair would be. :smalleek:

Green Bean
2007-09-17, 05:49 AM
Well, they look good, don't they?

Yes, they do. I was merely being polite by not implying that they were a pack of bloody idiots.

Maryring
2007-09-17, 07:52 AM
I don't get any sound of it and I can't lipread... can someone tell me exactly what they're saying?

Arang
2007-09-17, 09:16 AM
"Mom, I really like this."
"Cute!"
"What's it made of?"
"Wool."
"Like, from a cow?"
"Uh-huh."
"Duh, Ashley, all wool comes from a cow."
"Does cashmere come from a cow too?"
"Uh-huh!"
"The boy cow or the girl cow?"

If there's anywhere that could really use a county fair, it's L.A.

"The boy cow."
"Oh, okay."
"Oh, you mean the one with the-" *horn gesture*
"With the tusks."

paddyfool
2007-09-17, 09:28 AM
Hmm. Reminds me of a few stories:

Like the crazy story of one vegetarian who told me that their parents denied meat came from dead animals. (No, I'm not saying vegetarians are crazy, just the story).

Or the one about a group of inner city kids being terrified to leave their tent because there was a "buffalo" (cow) outside.

Or the even sadder one about another inner city kid leaving the city for the first time and asking what those lights in the sky were...

... ah, well.

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-09-17, 09:49 AM
That seriously scares the bejeebus out of me, Paddy...

Castaras
2007-09-17, 09:55 AM
Those girls reminded me of kids I know at school. A few of those girls were almost exactly the same as the girls at school...:smalleek:

*sigh*

Didn't laugh. Was just...Stupid. To the nth degree...:smallyuk:

paddyfool
2007-09-17, 10:06 AM
That seriously scares the bejeebus out of me, Paddy...

Which one?

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-09-17, 10:07 AM
Which one?
The last one in particular, but all in general. Ignorance to that degree is horrifying.

paddyfool
2007-09-17, 10:29 AM
Ignorance to that degree is horrifying.

True. I wonder, however, if it would be playable to have a D&D flaw of Total Ignorance(Knowledge skill), which gives you a -5 penalty to all checks in a given knowledge skill, and also doubles the cost of points in that skill. Could be good for a comic game, and although it may seem cheap if you pick an apparently irrelevant skill like Knowledge(architecture), a good DM could still see ways to exploit it. (Although you'd still want to rule out Knowledge (local, irrelevant location)).

Or maybe you could have General Ignorance which would give you a small (-2) penalty to all Knowlege skills, and make all Knowledge skills always cross-class. What do you reckon?

blue_fenix
2007-09-17, 11:56 AM
True. I wonder, however, if it would be playable to have a D&D flaw of Total Ignorance(Knowledge skill), which gives you a -5 penalty to all checks in a given knowledge skill, and also doubles the cost of points in that skill. Could be good for a comic game, and although it may seem cheap if you pick an apparently irrelevant skill like Knowledge(architecture), a good DM could still see ways to exploit it. (Although you'd still want to rule out Knowledge (local, irrelevant location)).

Or maybe you could have General Ignorance which would give you a small (-2) penalty to all Knowlege skills, and make all Knowledge skills always cross-class. What do you reckon?

I would do it more as Ignorance: -1 penalty on all knowledge checks. Whenever it would be appropriate to roll a knowledge check as determined by the DM, the character must roll a dc 10 knowledge check in the appropriate skill to avoid believing they know something that is actually false.

PlatinumJester
2007-09-17, 12:10 PM
It didn't load :smallfrown:

Thes Hunter
2007-09-17, 12:16 PM
The last one in particular, but all in general. Ignorance to that degree is horrifying.

It just makes me want to sign up as a big brother or a big sister.

Kids from the hood here in rural Wisconsin would still know what stars look like, since even the city here is pretty small.

But really makes me wish I had sponsored a kid back in Cincy. Cincy was sprawling enough, and the poverty devastating enough that those kids might not have had a chance to leave the city and see that not everything was like where they came from, and that they had more choices than staying there and remaining in that environment after school.

Ceres
2007-09-17, 05:02 PM
I've actually heard some emo/goth kids here in Oslo have a conversation about he/she cows. I also had a conversation with a girl that really couldn't understand where meat was located in animals. We've got morons here as well.

Brickwall
2007-09-17, 05:18 PM
I also had a conversation with a girl that really couldn't understand where meat was located in animals. We've got morons here as well.

Uhh...it's on the inside...right? :smallconfused:

de-trick
2007-09-17, 05:49 PM
must find cows to make a wool sweater, then a cashmere clothing article, should i get it from the cow with the tusks or the cow that looks like the one on the milk container

ok man that was stupid, lost IQ points there, down to a 103 from 106, must kept triple numbers

but remind me of prepply girls in my school to

EndgamerAzari
2007-09-17, 06:06 PM

Well, that's not offensive at all....

...and sadly, coming from a farming community in rural Ohio, I have seen examples of this happening. There's the classic "I didn't know cows came in two different colors", and even my own personal account: We had a new girl join marching band when I was in high school. While we were sitting at a football game, she said, "You people around here are obsessed with corn." After managing to avoid puking in my mouth, I said, "Uh, no... that's how people make money around here." "No, no... you're obsessed with it," she said, smirking like she'd just won some sort of intellectual contest. And that wasn't the end of it: later in the game, some of the older band members went over to the other team's band to talk. Guess what? One of the guys over there says, "Man, we thought you'd be serving corn at your concession stand! Hur hur hur."

I wanted to beat him to death with my tenor sax.

Bor the Barbarian Monk
2007-09-17, 06:26 PM
There is a level of ignorance that is genuinely terrifying. This is a true story from approximately 15 years ago.

While working in Brooklyn, our delivery man was gone an abnormally long time. It turns out he was delayed by an accident. The reason for the accident was that a small group of young teens had stolen a car. The police noticed the driver was obviously not old enough to be behind the wheel, tried to pull the kids over, and a chase began instead. At the height of the chase, the young driver switched gears...from D, obviosly for "drive," to R, which he thought meant "really fast." :smalleek:

BlackStaticWolf
2007-09-17, 09:20 PM
Like the crazy story of one vegetarian who told me that their parents denied meat came from dead animals.

To be fair... meat doesn't have to come from animals. Or from the dead.

Soylent green is people! :smallwink:

Serpentine
2007-09-17, 10:13 PM

Fighters and suchlike in our group are generally given "Knowledge(diddly-squat)".

It's not so bad as that, but I have heard of tourists in Canberra wanting to go on a day-trip to Uluru/Ayer's Rock... And in the other direction, when she was on holidays in England my aunt had people horrified that she'd drive a whole 3 hours in one day.

Vaynor
2007-09-18, 12:04 AM
hay im frum kalifarnea and im nat dum at al!

buneez r fuzee

i lyk buneez

lololol buneez are leyk totulli fuzee i kno wat yu meen

leyk totulli omg dude

paddyfool
2007-09-18, 09:11 AM
It's not so bad as that, but I have heard of tourists in Canberra wanting to go on a day-trip to Uluru/Ayer's Rock... And in the other direction, when she was on holidays in England my aunt had people horrified that she'd drive a whole 3 hours in one day.

Heh. Tourists and their powers of geographical/cultural/historical ignorance are indeed legendary (not including your Aunt here). Some examples of this:

A tourist (American, not that it matters) in Edinburgh, Scotland: "Now that's clever. They built the castle right next to the train station".

Tourists (again American) in Ireland in the eighties: "My god, they have electricity here". (Their tour guide later swore blind to me that they said this, but he was a bit drunk at the time).

Tourists (unknown nationality) in an Arabic country: They turn up in town. They come to what looks like a popular restaurant where lots of people are eating. They ask for some food; then refuse the food, since they're "vegetarian", whereupon there's a little difficulty, but some vegetarian food is brought. As they eat, they notice everyone else knows each other really well, and one table is getting special treatment. Then they try to pay... and find that they've crashed a wedding.

But then on the other side, from the 1930s: Marsh arabs from the south of Iraq go to the big city (Basra) for the first time, with money for supplies. A guy invites them in to eat, and then asks them what they'd like - chicken, goat, beef... they say "everything!" and tuck in, thinking that city folk are much nicer than they've heard. Then they find that they have to pay... and there goes the money for supplies. They leave, concluding that city folk know nothing about hospitality.

Any of you have similar stories?

Midnight Son
2007-09-18, 10:59 AM
In Juneau, Alaska, where I grew up, it was common to hear a tourist, as they get off the cruise ship, ask, "What altitude are we at?"

One of the tours takes them to the visitor center for a viewing of the Mendenhall Glacier (http://kelley.iu.edu/mabert/other_files/mendenhall.jpg). The question heard there..."Why doesn't someone clean the dirt off of it?"

Winterwind
2007-09-18, 11:17 AM
A classmate of mine once spent some time with some host family in America in an exchange program. She was unable to convince her hosts that
a) we do have electricity and water in our homes in Europe, too, and
b) Hitler is not our current president.
:smalleek:

Telonius
2007-09-18, 12:23 PM
I think "Tourist" is probably a template, that involves something like a -10 on all knowledge checks. It's not country-specific. I'm in Washington, DC, and we get morons from all around the planet; they're pretty much equally stupid. Your brain cells aren't necessarily safe even if you're touring your own country. American tourists here are just as idiotic as the ones in Germany.

Quincunx
2007-09-18, 12:43 PM
Tourists (again American) in Ireland in the eighties: "My god, they have electricity here". (Their tour guide later swore blind to me that they said this, but he was a bit drunk at the time).

. . .

Any of you have similar stories?

American in Ireland: "My god, they have a telephone connection here!". This year. What saddens me is that we had to ask and be sure. Is it too much to feckin' expect all the utilities to be physically connected in a new house?

Somewhat back on topic, I'll see if I can dig up the clip from "The Princess and the Professor" (hope it's subtitled).