PDA

View Full Version : Firey dude!

RAGE KING!
2007-09-16, 10:00 PM
I was recently looking to build a char with a whip and whirlwhind attack,m when someone pointed out the /pyrokineticist (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/prestigeClasses/pyrokineticist.htm) class. AWESOME! Now I want help building a character who would be very fire-based. Like a fire giant with a fire elemental bloodline, fire resistant armour and 10 levels in above prestige class. Some fire based spells would be awesome, but not necessary. In that area i would prefer non-fireball spells (flame strike, for instance), but anythings fine. Any race with under + 10 LA (before levels/HD) is fine, as is any bloodline.

Thanx.

Yeygresh
2007-09-17, 10:21 AM
You could try Fire Genasi, from the FRCS. +2Int -Cha, Control Flames, Fire Resistances, and only a +1LA.

RAGE KING!
2007-09-17, 05:59 PM
I like it! I also decided on an intermediate fire elemental bloodline.

Person_Man
2007-09-17, 06:20 PM
One level of Pyrokineticist is indeed a good dip - essentially giving you an all day Wand of Flame Blade (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/flameBlade.htm), except its a whip, and you can apply your Str bonus.

However, Whirlwind Attack is a piss poor feat. It requires Dodge and Mobility, which provide minor static bonuses. And it requires Spring Attack, which only allows you to make 1 attack. And then you hit everyone once - enough to annoy a lot of people, but not enough to kill most enemies. And then they all get to hit you back. Usually, its much more efficient to focus your attacks at one enemy at a time, killing it, and then moving on to another enemy.

Also, LA is usually a huge ripoff. The benefits that you get are almost never worth the lost class levels, hit points, BAB, saves, abilities, etc. that you would have if you were a +0 LA race. If you want a "fire bloodline" or something similar, you can simply write it into your backstory. For example, "Bob is descended from Fire Giants. This is evidenced by his red hair, red eyes, dark skin, and penchant for smashing and burning things. It wasn't long before he manifested his abilities as a Pyrokineticist..."

As for build, I suggest a Psychic Warrior 5/Pyrokineticist 1/Whatever X. X depends on whatever you want to do, besides just hitting people with your whip. FYI, whips don't threaten, so most builds that benefit from huge reach don't work with a whip.

RAGE KING!
2007-09-17, 06:28 PM
...That was a separate build. That was background. This character is going to be a firey beast of hell.

well i've already managed to determine that he'll have 60 fire resistance at 17th level. Also, is there a feat that grants +5 resistance to an energy type somewhere? I think there is.

20d6 damage per round for swimming in lava...bite my ass.

Hecore
2007-09-18, 03:55 AM
Two levels of Hierophant (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/prestigeClasses/hierophant.htm) will allow you to extend your Fire Lash from a measly 15 feet to a grand total of 60 feet. Of course you'd need to be a 13th level Cleric or Druid to be able to do that...

RAGE KING!
2007-09-19, 05:12 PM
cool, but I'll save that for another character.

+5 energy resistance feat?

anyone?

BCOVertigo
2007-09-19, 06:38 PM
cool, but I'll save that for another character.

+5 energy resistance feat?

anyone?

Couldn't think of anything at gives +5 to an energy resistance.

Savage Species, Inured to Energy: Add 10 to an energy resistance you have.

Guess you'll have to go with this instead, sorry. :smalltongue:

RAGE KING!
2007-09-19, 07:25 PM
aww man! lol.

awesome! it stacks with itself!