PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder (D&D 3.x/PF) Murderer Base Class PEACH!

Tyndmyr
2018-10-02, 03:56 PM
Murderer

There are many archetypes that encompass the good, the evil, and a wide range in between. The Murderer is not one of these. He views the Rogue as a careless dabbler in the darkness of society, and himself as one of the larger threats that lurk the street. Often growing up orphaned or in desperate straits, a Murderer is someone who has turned to addressing all problems with brutally unfair, overwhelming violence in an attempt to slay all opposition. Such a character is often out of place in polite society, but is greatly feared in areas where the law holds little sway.

Level
Base Attack Bonus
Fort Save
Ref Save
Will Save
Special

1st

+0

+0

+2

+0

Sneak Attack +1d6, Spot Vitals

2nd

+1

+0

+3

+0

Impolite Guest, Rogue Talent

3rd

+2

+1

+3

+1

Sneak Attack +2d6, Corpse Disposal +2

4th

+3

+1

+4

+1

Enraged Ambush (1)

5th

+3

+1

+4

+1

Sneak Attack +3d6

6th

+4

+2

+5

+2

Corpse Disposal +4, Rogue Talent

7th

+5

+2

+5

+2

Sneak Attack +4d6

8th

+6/+1

+2

+6

+2

Evasion, Nemesis

9th

+6/+1

+3

+6

+3

Sneak Attack +5d6, Corpse Disposal +6

10th

+7/+2

+3

+7

+3

Critical Violence, Rogue Talent

11th

+8/+3

+3

+7

+3

Sneak Attack +6d6

12th

+9/+4

+4

+8

+4

Enraged Ambush (3)

13th

+9/+4

+4

+8

+4

Sneak Attack +7d6

14th

+10/+5

+4

+9

+4

Rogue Talent

15th

+11/+6/+1

+5

+9

+5

Sneak Attack +8d6

16th

+12/+7/+2

+5

+10

+5

Reckless Strikes

17th

+12/+7/+2

+5

+10

+5

Sneak Attack +9d6

18th

+13/+8/+3

+6

+11

+6

Enraged Ambush(5)

19th

+14/+9/+4

+6

+11

+6

Sneak Attack +10d6

20th

+15/+10/+5

+6

+12

+6

Death Strike

HP Die: d8
Class Skills:
Acrobatics (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Disable Device (Dex), Disguise (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (local) (Int), Perception (Wis), Profession (Wis), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Stealth (Dex), Swim (Str).
Skill Points: 4 + Int modifier
Proficiency: All Simple and Martial Weapons, All Shields and Armor.
Alignment: Any Evil

Abilities:

Sneak Attack: As the rogue ability of the same name.

Spot Vitals: Once per day, when delivering a Sneak Attack from surprise, the Murderer may add a damage bonus to his strike equal to his level in the Murderer class. This declaration must be made before the attack roll.

Impolite Guest: At level 2, the murderer gains a bonus to Intimidate checks equal to his Murderer level. He receives a penalty to diplomacy and sense motive checks in the same amount, as for some reason, some find his gaze disturbing.

Corpse Disposal: At level 3, the murderer gains a +2 bonus to stealth and slight of hand when carrying, dragging, or disposing of a corpse. At level 6, this becomes a +4, and at level 9, a +6. In addition, corpses never count as difficult terrain for a Murderer.

Enraged Ambush: Once per day, when delivering a sneak attack from surprise, the Murderer may scream in rage, alerting everyone in the vicinity to his presence, while forsaking defense to maim his target horrifically. For the next round, his TN is 5, but he receives a bonus of +4d6 additional sneak attack dice. At level 12 and again at level 18, he gains two additional uses per day.

Evasion: As per the rogue ability of the same name.

Nemesis: At level eight, the murderer has become sufficiently notorious that important NPCs have marked him for discovery and justice. A Lawful and/or Good NPC of the murderer’s character level +4 will begin seek him out now, and another will do so every time he levels up. If his murders have been particularly unsubtle(GM discretion), a large bounty may be posted on his head.

Critical Violence: At 10th level, the critical threat range of all weapons wielded by the Murderer is increased by 1, and the Murderer deals an additional +2d6 sneak attack damage if a critical strike is rolled on a sneak attack. This stacks with critical threat range increases from feats, talents, etc.

Death Strike: At 20th level, the murderer may forgo +4d6 sneak attack damage on any attack with at least that much sneak attack damage to give up. In return, after damage is dealt, the target must save or die(Fort DC: 15 + Murderer’s dex modifier).

Design Philosophy: A lot of players seem to embrace the murderhobo archetype, it seems to me that there might be some value in making it fairly explicit. This is basically designed to be a hammer for the sort of player who views all NPCs as nails. A lot less flexible than the rogue traditionally is, and lacking in survivability and social graces, this class is intended to trade off those things for being really good at shanking unsuspecting people in the back.

Edit: Many thanks to Rferries for fixing the tables!

rferries
2018-10-03, 05:38 PM
Level
Base Attack Bonus
Fort Save
Ref Save
Will Save
Special

1st

+0

+0

+2

+0

Sneak Attack +1d6, Spot Vitals

2nd

+1

+0

+3

+0

Impolite Guest, Rogue Talent

3rd

+2

+1

+3

+1

Sneak Attack +2d6, Corpse Disposal +2

4th

+3

+1

+4

+1

Enraged Ambush (1)

5th

+3

+1

+4

+1

Sneak Attack +3d6

6th

+4

+2

+5

+2

Corpse Disposal +4, Rogue Talent

7th

+5

+2

+5

+2

Sneak Attack +4d6

8th

+6/+1

+2

+6

+2

Evasion, Nemesis

9th

+6/+1

+3

+6

+3

Sneak Attack +5d6, Corpse Disposal +6

10th

+7/+2

+3

+7

+3

Critical Violence, Rogue Talent

11th

+8/+3

+3

+7

+3

Sneak Attack +6d6

12th

+9/+4

+4

+8

+4

Enraged Ambush (3)

13th

+9/+4

+4

+8

+4

Sneak Attack +7d6

14th

+10/+5

+4

+9

+4

Rogue Talent

15th

+11/+6/+1

+5

+9

+5

Sneak Attack +8d6

16th

+12/+7/+2

+5

+10

+5

Reckless Strikes

17th

+12/+7/+2

+5

+10

+5

Sneak Attack +9d6

18th

+13/+8/+3

+6

+11

+6

Enraged Ambush(5)

19th

+14/+9/+4

+6

+11

+6

Sneak Attack +10d6

20th

+15/+10/+5

+6

+12

+6

Death Strike

Hope that helps!

nineGardens
2018-10-03, 11:11 PM
This is hilarious and insane, and I can't think of anyone I know who would play it (My playgroup tends towards Paladins, what can I say)

The idea of someone screaming while making a sneak attack is completely absurd, and I love it (sorry, can't judge power level super well)

I'm not sure if Impolite guest needs to bust your Sense Motive- Destroying Diplomacy seems enough, and I can imagine someone wanting to play a Murderer who can read people.

Nemisis is super cool, but mechanically it seems like a straight up penalty (have I read it right). Is this the intention, and is it a problem? Does the player get any advantage that would balance this out?

Something I can imagine is having some kind of "Calling card Killer" ability, where if you kill someone in a particular signature way (or tie a red ribbon around their corpse or.....???) then you get some kind of ongoing bonus perhaps.
Or maybe that's too sophisticated for the murderhobo concept you are going for.

Tyndmyr
2018-10-04, 10:26 AM
Oh, many thanks for the tables, definitely using them!

This is hilarious and insane, and I can't think of anyone I know who would play it (My playgroup tends towards Paladins, what can I say)

Appreciated! I'm a bit jealous, as my groups typically lean pretty heavily murderhobo, and I'm often the one pleading with them to please just do the mission. =)

Nemesis is definitely a penalty, of a sort. More RP-based, and is intended to ensure some realistic, significant consequences, in a way similar to the Paladin's falling, that are still loosely defined for the GM's assistance. Now, they're *very* good at murdering people, so it's possible they can attempt to solve these problems as well with yet more murder. *shrug*

I slapped the sense motive thing on their to add a sort of "calloused killer" feel, but it may err on the side of being too punitive. Perhaps another advantage to balance it out?

Something I can imagine is having some kind of "Calling card Killer" ability, where if you kill someone in a particular signature way (or tie a red ribbon around their corpse or.....???) then you get some kind of ongoing bonus perhaps.
Or maybe that's too sophisticated for the murderhobo concept you are going for.

This, together with being good at sense motive gives a more classy serial killer vibe. Hmmm. Potential prestige class option?