PDA

View Full Version : Ride by Pounce

Leon
2007-09-16, 10:15 PM
Variying discussions have made me look at the mounted feats, something ive never really considered for a character.
However we have just had a new player join Dark Sun who rides a Heavy Crodlu - it has 5 attacks, Pounce and a bullrush bonus through the roof and its got me thinking.

Its combat abilitiy has been proven, the mount is vastly more effective at the current level than the ranger on its back (tho he shares the Soulknife and Druids bad rolling...)

Now to topic

With ride by attack can the Crodlu Charge > Attack 5 Times > move again or is it only the rider who gets the benifit of the feat

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-09-16, 10:36 PM
It only affects the rider.

RIDE-BY ATTACK [GENERAL]

Prerequisites: Ride 1 rank, Mounted Combat.

Benefit: When you are mounted and use the charge action, you may move and attack as if with a standard charge and then move again (continuing the straight line of the charge). Your total movement for the round can’t exceed double your mounted speed. You and your mount do not provoke an attack of opportunity from the opponent that you attack.

Special: A fighter may select Ride-By Attack as one of his fighter bonus feats.
(emphasis mine)

Also not the "as if with a standard charge" part when trying to use it in conjunction with special abilities the rider may have.

Leon
2007-09-16, 10:42 PM
Ty, i should read it in better detail and not get carried awy on wild idea's

Merlin the Tuna
2007-09-16, 10:45 PM
All is not lost, however! The Cavalier class from CWar allows full-attacks on charges, if I'm not mistaken. (As well as oodles of other mounted goodness.) It's pretty feat-intensive to get in, but hey, if that's your thing, no harm being great at it.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-09-16, 11:02 PM
All is not lost, however! The Cavalier class from CWar allows full-attacks on charges, if I'm not mistaken.
Actually, it only allows a full attack when your mount moves more than 5 ft. but not with a charge. (Explicitly stated as such in the description on page 20).

Merlin the Tuna
2007-09-17, 12:12 AM
Well, that's what I get when talking away from my book. Still, Deadly Charge is solid, and full attack on a non-charge actually works out pretty nicely, too -- if you don't move, you and your mount get full attacks. If you do move, you get a full attack and your mount gets one single attack. And if you charge, your mount gets a full attack, and you get a Spirited/Deadly/Unstoppable charge for multiple times normal damage.

Yep, Cavaliers are pretty good at stabbing.