PDA

View Full Version : Your greatest failure?

13_CBS
2007-09-16, 11:41 PM
A rather depressing thread title, I know, but here goes...post what you consider to be your greatest failure.

Mine? That I know but do not understand. Second greatest would be a relationship with a particular girl a few months ago...

Skippy
2007-09-16, 11:45 PM
There's a Depression Thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45049) over there...

Anyhow, my greatest failure is a girl, too... and I think some of you over here know who am I talking about, so I'm not going to repeat the story.

Thes Hunter
2007-09-16, 11:52 PM
I fail, and have failed, because I hem, haw, and worry thereby delaying completion of the necessary actions that would lead to success. I do this because I fear failure, and hate myself for every small deviation from perfection. :smallsigh:

Ironical, but much in life is. :smallwink:

rubakhin
2007-09-16, 11:53 PM
... Wow. I was just going through the list mentally, trying to figure out what the absolute worst was. (Probably having to leave school around age thirteen.) And I realized that everything I've ever tried to do in my life has been a spectacular failure. Man, I couldn't even get suicide right.

Thanks, internet!

Skippy
2007-09-17, 12:05 AM
Same here. I know I posted about a girl, but having loved her (and everything that came with that) resulted in a series of events that caused my having to leave town, abandoning my career just to avoid hurting myself any longer. Now I'm more stable, but still in love with her. Talk about failures in life!! I disappointed everyone who ever trusted me...

black wagner
2007-09-17, 12:18 AM
Ive failed at so much I wouldnt know what to call my greatest failure. I failed as a Pro Wrestler, I failed as both a rock singer and an opera sing, I failed as a stand up comic, many other things.
However, ive never been ashamed of my failures because I gave it all a hell of a try.

Trog
2007-09-17, 01:19 AM
Relationships.

FdL
2007-09-17, 12:59 PM
Yup, relationships in general, love.

Cyrano
2007-09-17, 01:09 PM
IV tubes. Never get 'em in the right place.

Kaelaroth
2007-09-17, 01:11 PM
Trying to put on weight. I have been disgustingly thin throughout my life. I crave a normal proportion.

Cyrano
2007-09-17, 01:12 PM
Kael, allow me to speak for overweight gamers everywhere and say We all hate you!
*Sniff*
Damn.

The 6th Side
2007-09-17, 01:17 PM
Greatest would be a relationship with a particular girl a few months ago...

*sigh* me too :smallsigh: except im still in the middle of the releationship >.>

Kaelaroth
2007-09-17, 01:18 PM
Kael, allow me to speak for overweight gamers everywhere and say We all hate you!
*Sniff*
Damn.

Sweety, I don't fit into guys' clothes. They slip off me.
And I can't put on weight. And trust me, I've been trying.

Crow
2007-09-17, 01:19 PM
Trying to put on weight. I have been disgustingly thin throughout my life. I crave a normal proportion.

Hey dude, what kind of exercise do you do? Post up your typical diet if possible. I do this sort of thing all the time.

SDF
2007-09-17, 01:19 PM
I've failed a friend, which is infinitely worse than failing myself.

Catch
2007-09-17, 01:21 PM
Me? Too much thinking and not enough acting.

As Gandhi once said, "Less talk, more rock!"

Kaelaroth
2007-09-17, 01:27 PM
Hey dude, what kind of exercise do you do? Post up your typical diet if possible. I do this sort of thing all the time.

Exercise-Wise:
20 minute walk every day. 1 hour swim once a week. Basketball for one hour, 1/2 weeks, and swim at another pool 1/2 weeks. I play Squash for 2 hours every week, and jog quite often.

Diet-Wise:
I eat healthy, organic foods, and drink plenty of water and juice. I don't eat many sweets or fizzy drinks, but rather like biscuits. I practically always have three proper meals per day, save on Sundays, where I have a large brunch, and a larg supper.

Is that OK?

Sir_Norbert
2007-09-17, 01:41 PM
I've done OK with relationship -- had one long-lasting relationship that finished, but I don't consider it to be my failure. My greatest failure was falling in love with a girl who didn't want a relationship with me and ruining our friendship because of that. It still hurts now, seven months later, and I've even started avoiding the places where she hangs out because it's painful to be reminded of her, even now that I'm no longer in love with her and I have a new girlfriend whom I love very much. Sometimes feelings of friendship can run even deeper than love.

Crow
2007-09-17, 02:11 PM
Exercise-Wise:
20 minute walk every day. 1 hour swim once a week. Basketball for one hour, 1/2 weeks, and swim at another pool 1/2 weeks. I play Squash for 2 hours every week, and jog quite often.

Diet-Wise:
I eat healthy, organic foods, and drink plenty of water and juice. I don't eat many sweets or fizzy drinks, but rather like biscuits. I practically always have three proper meals per day, save on Sundays, where I have a large brunch, and a larg supper.

Is that OK?

Alright. Now I know you said you have tried everything, but I am going to offer some unsolicited advice anyways. If you've already done it, I apolagize.

For your exercise:

It sounds like you are doing too much cardio. Cardio and Weight Gain do not mix. Period. It is possible to get some "newbie gains", but those fizzle out quickly.

Mostly you will need to drop the regular jogging. Keep up the swimming since you don't do it often enough for it to make much of a difference, gains-wise. If you have to get your run-fix in, Run intervals. For me, High-Intensity Sprints, no more than twice a week, and on days when you don't lift (more on that later). Depending on your level of fitness, your distance will vary. I run a 200 metre sprint, balls-out, then walk briskly for 200 metres before heading into a sprint again. Do this 4-6 times, depending on your fitness level, and don't cheat yourself. If neccessary, increase your distances to 300 or 400 metres, but walk no more than 200 in between.

Don't worry about losing your long-distance endurance. You won't. You wil find that when you run LSD's (shorthand for Long-Slow-Distance), your times will actually get better. On these sprint days, you can work in various calisthenics afterwards as well (recommended).

Now, you will do this only once or twice a week. The rest of the week needs to be filled with High-Intensity, Heavy-Load lifting. Four days is good. Five if you want to add in abs. It sounds counter productive, but you need to tear down muscle so that it will adapt and rebuild. You simply cannot do this lifting light, or doing cardio. You need to do focused routines (Chest day, Back day, Leg day, Arm day, Ab day...etc...). You don't need to be in the gym for two hours everyday, a half-hour will do. The key is intensity. Lift heavy, Shoot weight you can lift for 6-10 reps. If you can do 10 easily, go heavier. If you can't do 6, go lighter.

The lifting can be hard if you don't have access to a gym, but there are workarounds.

Make sure you get at least 2 dedicated rest days a week. This is very important. Equally important is that you get as close to 8 hours of sleep a night as possible...More if you want.

This leads us to diet:

It sounds like you are eating often enough, and it is good that you stay away from sweets and eat healthy and organic. You have to balance your meals properly though.

When you're trying to put on weight, you need a lot of protein. Usually at least as many grams and your bodyweight in pounds. Also it helps if you can split the protein more or less evenly through the day. I usually do 5-6 "meals". (Granola and milk (cereal) in the morning (~30g), Protein bar or shake mid-morning (~30g), Chicken Sandwich (1 <half> breast) for lunch (~40g), Usually protein shake and almonds/cashews after work (~30), Steak, chicken <half breast>, or fish for dinner (~40g).

The protein makes the difference. You should also do something like cottage cheese and fruit or something along those lines before you go to bed. You're about to fast for 8 hours afterall. Cottage cheese has a "slow-release", so it will feed your body through the night. This is important.

Don't be afraid to eat fat, so long as they come from a good source (meat, nuts, seeds). It will help you energy wise, and help you build muscle. If you want to gain fast, go with complex carbs. Stay away from simple carbs such as those from fruit and sweets.

(Note: I don't eat a lot of carbs personally, but a lot of guys do. If you were to break down my diet by grams, it would look something like 40% protein, 30% fat, and 30% carb)

Quick and dirty note: You will get about 4.5 calories per gram of protein or carbohydrate, and you will get roughly 9 calories per gram of fat.

From my example above, you can see I get nearly half of my calories from fats. This is not bad! Fat will provide you with sustained energy and is less efficient for the body to turn into fat that you wear. Carbs are more efficient for converting directly to energy, but you have to eat more, and if you eat too much, they easily turn to fat.

I would add more to this but I am rambling. I could provide a simple workout plan if you are interested.

Also, you have to stay dedicated. Make it a lifestyle change, not a temporary fix. You will find that there are many more benefits than just extra muscle. It's a great thing once you get used to it. Also, if you cheat a little on your meals it is OK. I eat crazy bad stuff on my off days sometimes, but always in moderation. Cheat a little, every once in a while, when you need a fix. But not a lot, every day =)

I have gained about 15 lbs in the past year, while maintaining a body fat of less than 7%. You will gain faster, the more protein and complex carbs you get. Probably faster than me, who eats less carbs.

Jibar
2007-09-17, 02:20 PM
Wow, geese, don't I feel bad.
I mean, most excersise I get is a roughly 15 minute walk each weekday, and it's rare that I actually eat anything considered healthy, yet I'm just as skinny.
Honestly, clothes shopping is a bitch.

Anyway, greatest failure?
Hmm...
Not taking some of those chances, and doing those things I've really wanted to do.

Captain van der Decken
2007-09-17, 02:53 PM
Greatest failure.. nothing really spectacular here. Perhaps laziness. But.. that's about it.

valadil
2007-09-17, 03:03 PM
My greatest failure was falling in love with a girl who didn't want a relationship with me and ruining our friendship because of that. It still hurts now, seven months later, and I've even started avoiding the places where she hangs out because it's painful to be reminded of her, even now that I'm no longer in love with her and I have a new girlfriend whom I love very much. Sometimes feelings of friendship can run even deeper than love.

Been there, done that, and it still hurts. And I haven't even seen this girl in over 2 years. I don't regret it though. Something to regret would be never having asked her out and being left to wonder if I did have a shot at it.

My biggest failure to date is my inability to lose weight. I've been hovering around the 300 lbs line for a while and only seem to lose it when I get sick, but it comes right back afterwards.

Logic
2007-09-17, 03:11 PM
My greatest failure (which I do not wish to discuss specifics) I learned from. Far more than if I had succeeded. If everyone were to view thier failures as learning experiences, and do not repeat the mistakes that led to the failures, then "failure" no longer aptly describes the situation, now does it?

SurlySeraph
2007-09-17, 03:32 PM
Gah, so many to choose from. Let's see, getting 6th place at the Private School State Wrestling Championships after losing to three people who I'd easily beaten earlier in the year and could have easily beaten again if I had focused and actually tried? When I got 5th place the next year after the same thing happened again? Getting my wrists and ankle screwed up the next year, preventing me from going to States, and not doing the rehabiliation exercises often enough that they won't give me trouble this year?

No, I can think of worse ones than that. Hmm... worst failure would have to be my entire romantic history. I'm too cowardly to let girls know I'm attracted to them even if they practically throw themselves at me. There's this girl whom I've been insanely attracted to for about 3 years now. She's attracted to me. What do I do about it? Nothing whatsoever. And I know myself well enough to know that I'm never going to do anything about it, probably causing both of us long-term emotional harm, because that's how pathetic I am.

Awwww... I made myself sad.
*punches self, wanders off to depression thread*

Youngblood
2007-09-17, 05:46 PM
My greatest failure (which I do not wish to discuss specifics) I learned from. Far more than if I had succeeded. If everyone were to view thier failures as learning experiences, and do not repeat the mistakes that led to the failures, then "failure" no longer aptly describes the situation, now does it?

QFT. A failure is only a failure if you don't allow anything positive to come from the experience.

I guess my biggest personal "failure" was about a year ago at my second extreme fighting match. I did pretty good (placed 2nd in my weight class) at the first one I ever went to, and let it make me overconfident. The second one was classed differently than the first one so I was put in a different catagory than the one I usually fight in, and since I was still charged from nearly winning my first competition ever, I pulled some risky moves and got TKOed in the 1st round. But I needed to be reminded of why overconfidence is bad, so it's all good.

BubbaK
2007-09-17, 06:14 PM
Spending time with a friend that passed, didnt spend enough time with each other you know.

13_CBS
2007-09-17, 08:54 PM
Hmm...that's a lot of "failure = bad relationships" here...

RAGE KING!
2007-09-17, 09:28 PM
I can't think of anything, so I decided on my greatest DnD failure, which would undoubtedly be the time I failed to add my +21 strength mod (with x1.5 modifier for Two handed fighting) to damage, which resulted in the death of both the sorcerer and some other spellcaster I can't remember.

Raiser Blade
2007-09-18, 01:52 AM
IV tubes. Never get 'em in the right place.

QFT

I once had a blood transusion and they had to poke me 9 times!!

Orzel
2007-09-18, 01:56 AM
I got my friend shot for my mistakes. (He lived, leg shot.)

Beat that.

eidreff
2007-09-18, 04:24 PM
Can't beat the shot in the leg thing, but I have been given so many chances that I failed to take, to do/be/take part in, so many things and have not taken them for really stupid non-reasons or through simple outright stupidity.

Cyrano
2007-09-18, 04:26 PM

Beat that.

This is a competition now? Oooooh, don't go there.

dsuursoo
2007-09-18, 04:36 PM
writing my name on the moon with a giant laser.

yeah, that didn't go so well.

Hell Puppi
2007-09-18, 06:36 PM
I've had some failures, but honestly I have to say not saying what I wanted to to certain people when I had the chance.
These are mostly angry things that I didn't say. Oh yeah and punching someone. That would have been AWESOME. Damn my peaceful nature.

Vella_Malachite
2007-09-19, 09:09 PM
Definitely not being motivated enough. I mean, what kind of prospective author am I if I can't get to the computer and write the stupid book?

Also a bad habit of being a doormat. Damn lack of assertiveness.

Mattarias, King.
2007-09-19, 10:29 PM
Definitely not being motivated enough. I mean, what kind of prospective author am I if I can't get to the computer and write the stupid book?

Also a bad habit of being a doormat. Damn lack of assertiveness.

:smallsigh: Took the words RIGHT out of my mouth.. Like, exactly.

Em Blackleaf
2007-09-19, 10:39 PM
Mattarias, I just wanna say, your avatar makes me want do draw something every time I see it.

My greatest failure is anything I haven't taken something good out of.
Like, a mistake that I didn't learn from.

dehro
2007-09-20, 02:24 AM

Beat that.

I had a toy rifle (meaning it shoots round small metal thingies instead of real bullets..) I thought to have fired my last shot...and exploded towards the ceiling for safety (and to make the funny whoomp noise)..
yes, I said ceiling, since I was indoors
the obvious although unexpected last "bullet" rebounded from the ceiling to a chair and disappeared through the door, only to hit my aunt in the far end of the kitchen
It was only a small metal and empty sphere, but my aunt still has a small scar on her leg.

not my worst failure, I've done quite a lot worse...but I thought I'd mention it anyway

exodus_dragon
2007-09-20, 02:34 AM
not making it as an Air Traffic controller

nuff said....

Archpaladin Zousha
2007-09-20, 11:31 AM
Just today.

I have a 5-page paper that I was supposed to write for a class this morning. By 5:00 in the morning I only had the introduction written. I decided to get some sleep and make the most of it. When I woke up, it was 11:00 and I had missed a class, and my shift at work. I feel absolutely terrible!:frown:

reorith
2007-09-20, 09:54 PM
bay of pigs. all me.

but seriously, i don't know :(