PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Caynes, An Anthropomorphic Dog Race (PEACH)

Protato
2018-10-06, 03:43 PM
I had decided to write up this race because I was wanting to play as one of my characters sometime, he's an anthropomorphic dog Rogue, but there's no official canid race at the time of writing this and I didn't want to just use the Tabaxi. I apologize about not including any small breeds, but I figured I could perhaps do an entirely separate set of races for that.

The Cayne are a race of anthropomorphic dog-men that mingle everywhere, in most any society, from humanity to dwarves to Drow to orcs. Their origin is unknown, but they may have been created by awakened dogs in their own image. Regardless of origins, they're known for being dependable and friendly in general, though exceptions can certainly come about, often as a result of abuse. Caynes, much like ordinary dogs, come in a variety of shapes and sizes, each with their own physical attributes.

Cayne Traits

Ability Score Increase: Your Constitution increases by 1.

Speed: 30ft.

Darkvision: You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can't discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.

Keen Smell: You have advantage on Perception checks made using smell.

Bite: Your teeth are natural weapons, which you can use to make unarmed strikes. If you hit with them, you deal piercing damage equal to 1d4 + your Strength modifier, instead of the bludgeoning damage normal for an unarmed strike.

Languages: You speak Common and one other language of your choice.

Size: You are a Medium Humanoid.

Cayne Subraces

Shepherd

Ability Score Increase: Your Strength increases by 2.

Loyal: If you can see or hear an ally, then you have advantage on saving throws against being Frightened and Charmed.

Powerful Build: You count as one size larger when determining your carrying capacity and the weight you can push, drag, or lift.

Improved Bite: Your Bite damage increases to 1d6 + Strength modifier.

Greyhound

Ability Score Increase: Your Dexterity increases by 2.

Speed: 35ft.

Nimble Hound: When taking the Dash action, you may add an additional 5ft. of movement. Additionally, you may move through spaces occupied by creatures size Large or larger.

Cattle Dog

Ability Score Increase: Your Constitution increases by 1, and increase either Strength or Dexterity by 1.

Healthy Dog: You have advantage on saving throws to resist being Poisoned, and you have resistance to Poison damage. Additionally, you have advantage on saving throws to being diseased.

Bonus Proficiency: You are proficient in Animal Handling.

Collie

Ability Score Increase: Your Intelligence increases by 2.

New Tricks: Choose any Intelligence-based skill. You become proficient in it. Upon taking a long rest, you may choose to lose proficiency in the skill and instead become proficient in another Intelligence-based skill instead.

Bonus Language: You may learn a language of your choice.

Bloodhound

Ability Score Increase: Your Wisdom increases by 2.

Adept Tracker: You have advantage on all Survival checks made to track objects or creatures.

Bonus Proficiencies: You are proficient in Survival and Perception.

Keen Hearing: You have advantage on all Perception checks that use hearing.

Retriever

Ability Score Increase: Your Charisma increases by 2.

Man’s Best Friend: You may cast the Charm Person spell and Friends Cantrip (DC 8 + Prof. + Chr. modifier) without spending any material components once per short rest. Additionally, ignore Magic Resistance when casting Charm Person or Friends in this manner.

Loveable: You have proficiency in Persuasion, and once per short rest you may reroll a failed Persuasion roll.

Mongrel

Ability Score Increase: Two scores your choice increase by 1.

Bonus Proficiencies: Choose two skills. You become proficient in them.

JNAProductions
2018-10-06, 04:26 PM
Base traits are fine. Include size, though.

Loyal is FAR too powerful.

Other than that, looks good.

Protato
2018-10-06, 06:14 PM
Originally Loyal said...

Loyal: If you are Charmed or Frightened, your allies may use an action to immediately end the effect.

However, I'm changing it to...

Loyal: If you can see or hear an ally, then you have advantage on saving throws against being Frightened and Charmed.

How's this?

JNAProductions
2018-10-06, 06:14 PM
Originally Loyal said...

Loyal: If you are Charmed or Frightened, your allies may use an action to immediately end the effect.

However, I'm changing it to...

How's this?

Looks good!

pygmybatrider
2018-10-07, 03:34 AM
Love this. Fun and flavourful and looks pretty balanced to me - I like the change to Loyal.

Is it intended that cattle dogs ends up with +3 con? Maybe the sub race gives them +1 con and +1 int or Dex. Looks good otherwise!

Protato
2018-10-09, 11:31 PM
I made it so Collie has +1 Con and +1 to either other physical score now, instead of +2 Con, changed some spacing, and also reworded the Collie's New Tricks feature.